• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Changes to II eplus starting February 1, 2024

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I just happened to be looking something up in the interval rules and I saw this: https://www.intervalworld.com/iimedia/pdf/Standard_Amendment_112823.pdf

Changes start February 1, 2024
The changes I can see if I am reading it correctly instead of 5 days to add eplus you will now have 14 days.
That seems like a good change.

Now for the bad. It looks like instead of being able to use eplus up until the day before check in, you will now have to do it 14 or more days before check in. 59-14 still limited and 13 and under not allowed at all.

AMENDMENT TO THE 2023 BUYERS’ GUIDE TO THE INTERVAL INTERNATIONAL® EXCHANGE PROGRAM The following is an amendment to the 2023 Buyers’ Guide regarding the Interval International Exchange Program, which amendment is effective as of February 1, 2024: REVISED PARAGRAPH 7 UNDER “GENERAL EXCHANGE PROCEDURES AND PRIORITIES” (a) For Members who wish to change their Host Accommodations subsequent to receiving a Confirmation, but without canceling their Confirmation, E-Plus is available to allow Individual Members to “retrade” their original Confirmation, up to a total of three (3) times, upon the payment of an additional fee. The use of E-Plus may be purchased at any time, commencing at the time an exchange request is initially placed and continuing up to 14 days following the issuance of a Confirmation, so long as the purchase is prior to the first date of occupancy of the Host Accommodations and the Host Resort is in good standing with II. E-Plus may be used to secure up to three (3) retrades of the Member’s Host Accommodations and/or vacation periods at any time, up to 12 months after the first date of occupancy of the Host Accommodations associated with the original Confirmation (the “E-Plus Usage Window”). Once established, the E-Plus Usage Window does not change upon any subsequent retrade. (b) When transacting an E-Plus retrade, the Member may view available Host Accommodations, and an E-Plus retrade will be instantly issued if the desired accommodations are available at the time the retrade is initiated. The pending request process may not be used with E-Plus. Retrade requests may be made online or by phone. (c) (i) When the Member transacts an E-Plus retrade 60 days or more from the first date of occupancy of the original Confirmation or, if applicable, previously issued retrade, they will be entitled to select available accommodations with travel dates any time up to the expiration of the E-Plus Usage Window. (ii) When the Member requests an E-Plus retrade 59 days to 14 days prior to the first date of occupancy of the original Confirmation or, if applicable, initial retrade, the Member may only select from accommodations that have occupancy dates commencing up to 60 days after the first date of occupancy of the original Confirmation or previously issued retrade. Any subsequent retrade request may only be for Host Accommodations with occupancy dates 60 days or less prior to the first date of occupancy of the current retrade. (iii) E-Plus may not be used to change Host Accommodations less than 14 days prior to the first date of occupancy of the current Host Accommodations. (d) For E-Plus retrades where points (inclusive of Club Interval Points and Collection Points) were relinquished for the original Confirmation: (i) Where the number of points required for the retrade is equal to or less than the number of points required for the original Confirmation or, if applicable, previously issued retrade, no points will be returned to the Member’s II account, Club Interval Points account, or Collection Points account. (ii) Where the number of points or Club Interval Points required for the retrade is greater than the amount relinquished for the original Confirmation or, if applicable, previously issued retrade, the Member will be required to relinquish the additional points needed. A retrade will not be confirmed until the availability of the required number of points is verified by the Home Resort. (e) Only one purchase of E-Plus may be made as to any particular Confirmation. (f) E-Plus may not be purchased for use with a ShortStay Exchange Confirmation, an Interval Options Confirmation, or with respect to the purchase of accommodations through the Getaway Program. (g) E-Plus may not be used to secure a retrade where the Host Accommodations have become unavailable for occupancy for any reason. (h) E-Plus may not be available to owners at some Member Resorts because of the Home Resort’s internal rules. (i) II’s Exchange Cancellation Policies do not apply to an E-Plus retrade.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That certainly isn't a good change. The additional 14 days to add EPlus isn't that big of a deal, but I suspect they though they had to throw a bone in order to appease members due to the big negative change on the back end by not allowing retrades within 14 days of checkin. Many people won't be impacted by this, but some won't be able to take advantage of last minute sightings now.

I am sure this will retroactively impact existing EPlus that are already added to a confirmed exchange.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am sure this will retroactively impacts existing EPlus that are already added to a confirmed exchange.
My guess would be that they will retro it . II is notorious for making changes and not announcing them until they take effect. RCI on the other hand almost always gives a 15-30+ day heads up on changes.

If I hadn't clicked on legal information I wouldn't have known and it would suck to find out on Feb 1, that you can't use eplus for that exchange you had for Feb 2-14 that you had been planning on doing.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I wonder if phone reps will have the powers to override this. They will often override the 59 day Flexchange restriction.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I just got our daughter an upgrade from a 2 bed to a 3 bed at Marriott's Grande Vista just yesterday morning for checking in today. I will miss that ability to grab something great last-minute. I would imagine it's very difficult for II to get confirmations to resorts quickly enough.

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it's within 14 days of your exchange start date, and your E-Plus Retrade period has ended, shouldn't there still be the ability to do a full-price retrade up until the night before in case of an emergency?

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
This change drastically affects the value of eplus for me. I guess the only hope is there’s a mad scramble at the 14 day mark because everyone is forced to make their changes at that point?

I have a couple of exchanges in March that I was counting on last minute eplus trades for, so I’m particularly concerned for those.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If it's within 14 days of your exchange start date, and your E-Plus Retrade period has ended, shouldn't there still be the ability to do a full-price retrade up until the night before in case of an emergency?
There still should be the ability to do full price retrades. I don't see any mention of a change there. I wonder if it will still ask you to add E-Plus if you to a trade or retrade for something that is within the next 14 days?

CrazyPanda

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if you already added and paid for E-Plus for a search? I’ve already added it to two searches?

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
I would guess it will apply to all existing e-plus purchases in the system as of February 1st and then beyond as the amended terms in the Buyer's Guide don't talk at all about when an e-plus was purchased, just how e-plus will operate in the system after the new terms go into effect February 1st.

Also I am skeptical that they would have the technology already in place to distinguish between new and existing e-plus purchases in the system as far as having them operate differently within their platform. When Abound-eligible Vistana owners became eligible for free exchanges/retrades in II to Vistana and Marriott properties on January 1, 2023, it took II 5 months after that to make that actually happen automatically in the system and that was with more than a year's advance notice of the change.

There would always be the option for a pre-February 1 purchaser to call and ask for an exception to the policy if they wanted to do an e-plus retrade less than 14 days out...it's what we Vistana owners had to do for the free exchanges until they fixed the system and even then in many cases they still charged us and eventually refunded the cost.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would guess it will apply to all e-plus purchases in the system as of February 1st and beyond as the amended terms in the Buyer's Guide don't talk at all about when an e-plus was purchased, just how e-plus will operate in the system after the new terms go into effect February 1st.

Also I am skeptical that they would have the technology already in place to distinguish between new and existing e-plus purchases in the system as far as having them operate differently within their platform. When Abound-eligible Vistana owners became eligible for free exchanges/retrades in II to Vistana and Marriott properties on January 1, 2023, it took II 5 months after that to make that actually happen automatically in the system and that was with more than a year's advance notice of the change.

There would always be the option for a pre-February 1 purchaser to call and ask for an exception to the policy if they wanted to do an e-plus retrade less than 14 days out...it's what we Vistana owners had to do for the free exchanges until they fixed the system and even then in many cases they still charged us and eventually refunded the cost.
Based on my recent experience investigating the changes regarding increased point requirements for Hyatt owners exchangin in Eplus, I don't think the date will matter. For Hyatt owners, any new trades, retrades or Eplus retrades after January 1st have the new point requirements. It doesn't matter if you made your trade and added Eplus prior to January 1st.

I suspect that any active and future Eplus on or after February 1st will have the new 14 day prior to arrival policy. It might help to call and see if they will waive the 14 pre-check in limit, but I doubt they will make any programatic changes regarding the February 1st date.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we forget the eplus, how many people decide to book (exchange or buy getaway) at the last minute (less than 14 days) because they see a nice big unit available ?

If the answer is a lot of people then I can imagine that II may prefer to keep those nice bigger units in the inventory to entice those last minute people than seeing them swapped by eplus with a less appeal units that have more chance to not be grabbed at the last minute after that.

Also, last minute units are also available to book as a getaway (cash) if I remember and bigger units are rented with a higher price normally. So, this could be another reason for II to not give them to eplus probably.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Many people won't be impacted by this, but some won't be able to take advantage of last minute sightings now.
That is for sure. Myself included. Those 3BR Hawaii upgrades will be the "good old days".

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Possibly. On the other hand, where are those last minute units coming from? Some are cancellations but others are probably themselves e-plus swaps. If those move out to two weeks there can still be an opportunity.
I sure hope so. I love your optimism. I also am happy that a full-retrade fee may still let you take advantage of a last minute upgrade. It will be interesting to see if we see some great weeks earlier than usual.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I am a bit of a trading junkie, so this will minimally impact me because I rarely get to 14 days out with a trade left. I have way too much fun searching. It was fun while it lasted but I honestly can see how this could be an issue for the resorts. We have had trouble checking in on late trades, and have also gotten credit for stays on both resorts (nights and on-site purchases) when we did a last minute trade from one Marriott to another (although this happened years ago when you could add your Bonvoy number far in advance), so there is definitely a lag in communication from II to the resorts. For all we know, it may have caused a lot of problems on II's end, especially since they are not open on Sunday, a regular check in day for timeshares.

I think that the unadvertised reduction in trading power when using Eplus, plus the increased cost from $59 to $89, has affected me more. At this point, I hesitate to add it, but I almost always do it anyway just for insurance - and of course for trading fun.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am a bit of a trading junkie, so this will minimally impact me because I rarely get to 14 days out with a trade left. I have way too much fun searching. It was fun while it lasted but I honestly can see how this could be an issue for the resorts. We have had trouble checking in on late trades, and have also gotten credit for stays on both resorts (nights and on-site purchases) when we did a last minute trade from one Marriott to another (although this happened years ago when you could add your Bonvoy number far in advance), so there is definitely a lag in communication from II to the resorts. For all we know, it may have caused a lot of problems on II's end, especially since they are not open on Sunday, a regular check in day for timeshares.

I think that the unadvertised reduction in trading power when using Eplus, plus the increased cost from $59 to $89, has affected me more. At this point, I hesitate to add it, but I almost always do it anyway just for insurance - and of course for trading fun.
Perhaps the Bonvoy Elite Nights were a reason for this change? You can still add your Bonvoy number to an II exchange before arrival through Marriott.com or the Marriott app. It was mentioned that a reason for the new guest change form for owner rentals was because MVC wanted to remove the owner Bonvoy number from the reservation after the name change. That could be a reason here too. Perhaps Marriott was seeing people getting credit for a stay when they weren't staying in the room and this is a way they can fix that.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Perhaps the Bonvoy Elite Nights were a reason for this change? You can still add your Bonvoy number to an II exchange before arrival through Marriott.com or the Marriott app. It was mentioned that a reason for the new guest change form for owner rentals was because MVC wanted to remove the owner Bonvoy number from the reservation after the name change. That could be a reason here too. Perhaps Marriott was seeing people getting credit for a stay when they weren't staying in the room and this is a way they can fix that.
FWIW, I called Marriott to get it straightened out because I figured that someone on the other side missed those points/nights. The CSR actually laughed at me saying "do you mean to tell me that you want me to take those points and nights away from you"? He laughed so hard.

Also, I had called the old resort *before* we traveled to let them know that we weren't coming and that our bonvoy number should be removed. They told me not to worry. So yeah, their antiquated system is probably at the root of a lot of their changes. They simply could not account for the nights correctly using their own system, even when prompted with the correct information.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If the reasoning was awarding bonvoy credits correctly for changes made within 14 days, they will probably have to restrict the free retrades that enrolled Marriott owners can make, too.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it is more likely to be too many retrades done very last minute with eplus and not just trading a February 2 for a different February 2, waiting until Feb 1 to exchange to a March 30 or something like that. If you get within the 59 days and don't see anything you want, there is absolutely no incentive to make a dummy place holder reservation 59 days out, just to make it easier for someone else to use the week you are letting go.

If that is the case I would rather that within 13 days you can only exchange 13 days out or even 7 days beyond your current exchange, which would still let you pick up a last minute upgrade for the same week that you had already.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
Please excuse my newbie question (I have yet to start trading, mainly because my enrolled week still has not showed up in my II account yet grrrr ..) but E-plus is not relevant if you have an enrolled week and am interested in trading for other MVC properties?

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
Please excuse my newbie question (I have yet to start trading, mainly because my enrolled week still has not showed up in my II account yet grrrr ..) but E-plus is not relevant if you have an enrolled week and am interested in trading for other MVC properties?
Correct. It can be used to extend the life of a deposited week that is about to expire but other than that, no real benefit for an enrolled week.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
It seems like II is taking multiple moves that will discourage me from using II. Makes sense. 😵‍💫

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Now for the good. It looks like instead of being able to use eplus up until the day before check in, you will now have to do it 14 or more days before check in. 59-14 still limited and 13 and under not allowed at all.

Fixed it for you. Last-minute cancellations are bad for everyone except the person making the cancellation. Making cancellation harder means more people will be able to trade for something they want. The reason for this is so many owners trade for their third-fourth-fifth choice and then cancel and rebook if something more attractive becomes available. Even two weeks out is too generous -- very few people can grab that week at the very last minute and make it work.

Last edited: