• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Craigslist rental postings

slank

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've heard lots of great things about offering and securing rentals on Craigslist, but I don't find any offerings at all under my local (Washington DC) Craigslist. Is there a way to search Craigslist in all of the different US cities, or is there one Craigslist city that traditionally has a busy timeshare rental market?

I think I might be approaching this all wrong....

Thanks!

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
Craigslist

I always post my Craigslist TS rentals in the city where they are located

somerville

TUG Member
Reaction score
I occasionally see timeshare rentals on the DC Craigslist. I have posted a few there myself in the past. Got a couple of inquiries, but no rentals.

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Google the area/timeshare/resort name/etc. along with "craigslist.org" and you will pull the craigslists of other cities as well.

Jana

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've heard lots of great things about offering and securing rentals on Craigslist, but I don't find any offerings at all under my local (Washington DC) Craigslist. Is there a way to search Craigslist in all of the different US cities, or is there one Craigslist city that traditionally has a busy timeshare rental market?

Thanks!

I have used Craigslist to sell car and softball equipment and rented a timeshare one year and I really like Craigslist. Just sold a bedroom set in one day.

I would say for you to click on the state and area you want to vacation in first.

If you are near large city then check there too.

Most people list in say Lake Tahoe then like us also list in bay area or Sacramento list too!:cool:

cohenhs

Reaction score
Craig's List rentals

Thanks!

I own many timeshares in Vegas and I have had alot of success posting to the Vegas Craig's List. Now I also post on eBay, and a couple of vacation sites so I'm not limited to just Craig's list but I see where my rental requests come from and Craig's list does as well as eBay and it's free.

Harvey

jbug

Reaction score
Craig's list from their home page you can select areas of interest from there, that is their requirement when listing things, ie, property for sale that is in Dallas, is listed in the Dallas list, not in NY's list and so on.

Great deals on Craig's list, bought a car, sold furniture, even rented a vacation condo ... fun to shop there kinda like garage sales without the gas.

LauraS93

Reaction score
I've received some inquiries with Craigslist, but it never resulted in a rental. Plus, the people making the inquiries had lots and lots of questions, which I'm happy to answer but it takes a lot of time.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've received some inquiries with Craigslist, but it never resulted in a rental. Plus, the people making the inquiries had lots and lots of questions, which I'm happy to answer but it takes a lot of time.

Laura your trying to get people to spend money with a stranger on a timeshare and you need to work with them and answer some of their questions.

First, hope you have all e-mail going into CL so you pick who you want to deal with. This cuts out alot of the bull! :rolleyes:

What you should do is after getting many questions go back and edit your ad and answer many of these on your ad for people to read.

The quickest turnoff to me and I don't answer is how much money when its posted in the ad. Red flag they are playing games or trying to drop your price before even talking to you. :annoyed:

I list my price and it state it is firm and I stick to it. This will cut out many e-mails that just waste your time. I also list that will only rent from family in the United States and this cuts out many scam artist too!:hysterical:

PHIL

slank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thank you to everyone for the help. I WAS going about it all wrong. Now I have an action plan!!

=)

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
if i want to rest princeville, i should post in hawaii? what about some west coast cities?

if i want to rent harborside at the atlantis where should i list that? should i target NJ or NY or list it in the bahamas?

starlifter

TUG Member
Reaction score
if i want to rest princeville, i should post in hawaii? what about some west coast cities?

if i want to rent harborside at the atlantis where should i list that? should i target NJ or NY or list it in the bahamas?

The following information was copied from the Craigslist FAQ's...

Please choose just ONE craigslist site for which your ad is most relevant - this should generally be the site closest to where you are located. If your ad is equally relevant to all locations, your ad does not belong on local craigslist sites at all, please find another service.

Posting the same ad to multiple locations is considered spamming, and is prohibited.

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have my first add on craigs list and have recieved some inquiries. I do not have paypal. How do you recommend recieving payment? Money order, personal check? Are people willing to send payment first or do they want to see the reservation first?? thanx, Dawn

mamiecarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Craigslist needs a timeshare for rent/sale seperate section

I have gotten lots of last minute rentals off Craig's list by posting near timeshare and in cites within driving distance of timeshare.

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have my first add on craigs list and have recieved some inquiries. I do not have paypal. How do you recommend recieving payment? Money order, personal check? Are people willing to send payment first or do they want to see the reservation first?? thanx, Dawn

With my craigslist rentals, I only accept PayPal or a USPS money order. I usually get the payment first, but if the renter insists on a reservation confirmation first, I get it to them. I can always cancel it if the payment doesn't come through.

Also, beware of the scammers requesting to rent your unit. They're pretty easy to spot...they don't mention specifics and they're usually some captain of industry in another country wanting to rent it as gift for a relative.

Last edited:

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I accept personal checks - prefer them

I do year-round vacation rentals - and rent out my timeshares in the same area. I prefer personal checks - as long as there is enough time for the check to clear. I trust a personal check MORE than a money order. This way I have their bank account number and there is an address on the check too. That would match up with the address they gave me. You can also check the name of the bank that is printed on the check by using the routing number to verify. You can even check if they actually have a checking account with the bank - by phone. I've never actually done that though (grin). I always do business with a rental contract.

It's also less hassle for the renter to write a personal check and makes it easier for them to take care of things (with a money order they'd have to go out and buy one with cash).

I also get payment first. About 1/3 to 1/2 with the contract and the rest is due 8 weeks before check-in. I don't ask for ANY money until they have received a written and signed contract from me. Only then do they send money - with the signed contract. Short notice rentals are handled through e-mail attachments with Priority mail for sending money if necessary.

One thing about rentals is that most renters don't even CARE how you hold title to a property. They're not looking to rent A TIMESHARE. They want a week for vacation. In our year-round place I wouldn't even have any 'proof' about a reservation confirmation for the week they want. You should forget that you are renting out a TIMESHARE. You are renting out a week that starts on a specific date and ends on a specific date. If someone is hesitant (understandable) I give them the resort phone number (on our year-round place) and tell them they can confirm that I own there. This hardly happens. I realize there is a huge trust factor involved with ANYTHING you don't handle in person (like buying something at Kmart - you see it, you carry it to the check-out, you pay, you take it with you).

Once the renter is good with the resort and week, then I mention that this is a timeshare building but they are not required to go on any 'tour' - they are 'required' to enjoy their vacation! I have a standard write-up I send with the confirmation and authorization for them to use our timeshare instead of us. The write up warns them of the tour (just say no), how 'tempting' the salesman makes everything sound, yadda, yadda. I then tell them that if they DO go on the 'tour' and end up buying they have 10 days to rescind. I also tell them that they will save thousands if they buy a timeshare on the resale market and I'd be happy to talk to them about how to do that if that's what they want to do (I also mention that they should talk to me about buying a timeshare at the resort they stay at if they fall in love with it - because I have one there - grin). I also tell them that if they get harrassed to take the tour, they should call me and I would take care of that. I've never gotten a call about that. Most of the people just so 'no' to the tour, or if they take it, they know they don't have to buy.

Until I get final payment on a rental I NEVER change the name on the reservation.

With my craigslist rentals, I only accept PayPal or a USPS money order. I usually get the payment first, but if the renter insists on a reservation confirmation first, I get it to them. I can always cancel it if the payment doesn't come through.

Also, beware of the scammers requesting to rent your unit. They're pretty easy to spot...they don't mention specifics and they're usually some captain of industry in another country wanting to rent it as gift for a relative.

mamiecarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Establish trust on the telephone

It is hard to trust a total stranger particularly if you have been scammed a few times.I tell prospective renters about the money I lost on EBAY ($260 for an antique clock. The guy scammed a lot of people and the FBI went after him)and offer them some safeguards.

We call the timeshare together or they call after I have told the timeshare office they will be using the week. When the resort tells them they are expected they know things are on the level. If the renter somehow screwed me I could call back and cancel their reservation but I have never had a problem.

I try to tell them if the resort has a downside, like not good for children, tiny swimming pool or even a little shabby if the resort is truly a bit run down. You build trust by being honest.

Last year I rented a shabby studio in the Catskills to a family of five for $400 and they were happy with it. I found out at the last minute I couldn't use it, , they wanted a deal and were willing to rough it.