• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

credit ruined by [defaulting on] timeshare

weegie57

Reaction score
I purchased a timeshare nearly 30 years ago. used it once, paid the ever increasing maintenance fees for a few years until I gave up and quit paying. Finally, as of last month, they filed a collections on my credit report and apparently intend to sue and garnish my wages. I spoke to an attorney who said he could make it go away for $3800. I owe over 27k in maintenance and "special" fees. Anyone have any advice?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When you quit paying the maintenance fee, what actions did you take to get rid of your deeded ownership, and your contractual obligation?

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Google FDCPA and dispute the debt, particularly based on the time.

Companies have been know to try to collect outside of the statute ol limitations for debt

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Depends on where you live. In Florida if you own a home and are the breadwinner, they can't attach a lien to your house or garnish your pay.

I purchased a timeshare nearly 30 years ago. used it once, paid the ever increasing maintenance fees for a few years until I gave up and quit paying. Finally, as of last month, they filed a collections on my credit report and apparently intend to sue and garnish my wages. I spoke to an attorney who said he could make it go away for $3800. I owe over 27k in maintenance and "special" fees. Anyone have any advice?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
weegie57, thanks for posting this. People frequently post here asking 'What happens if I just quit paying my MF? What can they do?' Some friendly TUGger frequently tells them to just give the thing away and get their name off the deed. At the worst, they can get foreclosed on, sent to collection, credit ruined, and then can't sell the TS because it has a lien. They usually just go away, having not taken what they were told seriously.

Since you have posted the above, now we know. And actually contrary to your title to the thread, the timeshare didn't ruin your credit. You did. By not paying the responsibility you took on when you bought it. Your problem is not the timeshare's fault.

We are sorry for your predicament, but not sympathetic. This is the Timeshare USER'S Group. We use our timeshares. And when some deadbeat defaults on their responsibility, all our payments go up to cover what people like you didn't pay, along with the legal fees to collect it.

So pay up what you owe, then either USE the TS or get rid of it. We can help with that part.

Jim

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
If you trust the lawyer and have the money/something to lose, then maybe you should pay him/her to "make it go away." I might do that were I in your shoes so long as the lawyer was a friend or I'd previously done business with him/her.

But I might first try contacting collections and arranging a settlement for about that same amount ($3800). Just get it in writing that this payment clears all debt for this timeshare. You can get free help with that from a reputable consumer credit counseling agency. Key word: reputable. There are also plenty of websites that can help you learn to settle debts and clean up your credit. Google is your friend. Here is one article: http://www.investopedia.com/articles/pf/09/debt-settlement.asp

Also, you may want to examine your need for good credit? Do you really even need or want it? Prioritize! Cash is always more valuable than a high credit score.

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
IWe are am sorry for your predicament, but not sympathetic. This is the Timeshare USER'S Group. We use our timeshares. And when some deadbeat defaults on their responsibility, all our payments go up to cover what people like you didn't pay, along with the legal fees to collect it.

So pay up what you owe, then either USE the TS or get rid of it. We can help with that part.

Jim

Speak for yourself

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

Find out the statute of limitations for this type of debt.

Find out WHO is attempting to collect. This could be one of those collection agencies that buys uncollectable debt and then attempts to scare people into paying, even though they have no legal grounds. I get them periodically for a bad credit card debt when Cap One issued a card to someone else in my name. Even though it's WAY past the statute of limitations to collect that debt, these agencies who buy the debt for pennies on the dollar still try. I have a letter on file that gets sent to them every time I hear from one, which is at least once a year.

A threat of a lawsuit and garnishment means nothing. It's often just a scare tactic. It's also a scare tactic that could get them in trouble, although you'd be hard pressed to ever collect damages from them.

If you haven't seen your credit report, get a copy. Threats mean nothing. See it in writing. If they have filed an uncollectable debt on your report you have the right to dispute it. However it sounds as though this could be a valid statement.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
When did you give up and quit paying? You owned it for 30 years, but if you gave up about 5 years ago, i don't see how you could have amassed $27K in past due MFs and fees. I really don't know how it all works, but if they have a lien on the property, isn't their only recourse foreclosure?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
The way I understood it is that he stopped paying about 25 years ago. Seems strange. Here is a link that has statute of limitations by state. Most are less than 10 years.

http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/SOL-by-State.html

Either we don't have the full story by the OP or maybe some unscrupulous collection agency has pulled a very old file and is trying to squeeze some cash out of the OP.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
With renewal judgments can last 10 + 10 Years but they are not there yet.

The only state with an outrageous SOL is Ohio (15 years Written Contracts), not many Timeshares on the Ohio River

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
When did you give up and quit paying? You owned it for 30 years, but if you gave up about 5 years ago, i don't see how you could have amassed $27K in past due MFs and fees. I really don't know how it all works, but if they have a lien on the property, isn't their only recourse foreclosure?

Depending on the original amount, length of time, interest, penalties, late fee's, collection fee's, legal fee's, bogus made up fee's et..... It can add up fast.

They'll hit you with some outrageous trumped up total, then tell they'll settle for a fraction of that amount like 10-20% to call it even. Anything they get is almost pure profit.

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
The other key thing to remember is if you are past he statute of limitations and you pay anything, the clock starts again. It's what some of the unscrupulous collection agencies do and then they sell the debt for more than they paid for it because its back within the statute of limitations.

Ian

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

If this timeshare is still in you name you are incurring MF debts annually. Although you may be past the statute of limitations on some of the earlier years, you are probably on the hook for the recent years.

I would like to hear the full story, like when you stopped paying, did you get your annual MF notice every year, did they send out requests for delinquent payments and thinks like that.

I'd also like to know where you own.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Find out WHO is attempting to collect. This could be one of those collection agencies that buys uncollectable debt and then attempts to scare people into paying......A threat of a lawsuit and garnishment means nothing. It's often just a scare tactic.

This is really important. Find out who you are dealing with. It may change the way you look at things.

George

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
If this timeshare is still in you name you are incurring MF debts annually. Although you may be past the statute of limitations on some of the earlier years, you are probably on the hook for the recent years.

I would like to hear the full story, like when you stopped paying, did you get your annual MF notice every year, did they send out requests for delinquent payments and thinks like that.

I'd also like to know where you own.

It would be VERY important to know if the HOA ever foreclosed on the unit. If they foreclosed, then I'm assuming the ownership transfered out of the OP's name and to the HOA. If not, then debt continued to accumulate and I'd have expected that the OP would have continued to receive MF invoices each year.

There's a LOT we don't know about this and I don't believe the OP has returned to enlighten us. For all we know it's some joker with a PCC trying to scare people into thinking their services are legitimate. Next thing you know TUG could see a rash of spam from these sorts of scammers.

Right now this appears to be a hit and run post and not something I'm inclined to be to concerned with aside from the fact it's provided some interesting conversation.

Bill4728

Reaction score
The other key thing to remember is if you are past he statute of limitations and you pay anything, the clock starts again. It's what some of the unscrupulous collection agencies do and then they sell the debt for more than they paid for it because its back within the statute of limitations.

Ian
In most states this is true. NEVER PAY ANYTHING TILL YOU SPEAK TO YOUR OWN LAWYER!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just another quick question, have you verified that its on your credit report?

was it the resort that told you this, or the random folks contacting you to collect?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
just another quick question, have you verified that its on your credit report?

was it the resort that told you this, or the random folks contacting you to collect?

Getting a free credit report is an excellent idea. Collection agencies almost tell as many lies as timeshare sales people. This is the only site that give you free credit reports without using fine print to trick you into signing up for useless services:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score

You should probably hire an attorney, but one that you trust and know. Not someone who cold called you.

The biggest mistake you made was allowing this liability to linger for so long without doing anything about it. You could have paid someone years ago to help you liquidate it.

Today, the options for liquidating timeshares are dwindling because so many timeshares have zero or less value. They need to go out of business and there is no way for them to do so. So, you are in an uphill battle.

In your settlement with the HOA, make sure that you help other owners who also want out of their timeshare ownerships at your resort by including a term in your agreement that the resort must agree to making a deed back program for all owners at some price. There are loads of HOAs that are against it and some TUG members who support such horrible policies. You can do you part by supporting other owners such as you who want out and your HOA won't let them out.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
In your settlement with the HOA, make sure that you help other owners who also want out of their timeshare ownerships at your resort by including a term in your agreement that the resort must agree to making a deed back program for all owners at some price. There are loads of HOAs that are against it and some TUG members who support such horrible policies. You can do you part by supporting other owners such as you who want out and your HOA won't let them out.

OVER THE TOP

Why not also stipulate a percentage be donated to the federal government for deficit reduction and an equal percentage to the United Nations to promote world peace.

If the OP does get a settlement, it more likely will have a clause that says the terms of the settlement are confidential and any breach of that confidentiality will negate the settlement and the entire amount is due

You having multiple timeshares are looking for an orderly liquidation, the OP just wants this monkey off his back, he owes the other owners at the resort nothing

Last edited:

Brerrabbit

Reaction score
You could probably file bankruptcy on it if there was no other alternative

I have seen ads for lawyers who will do bankruptcy cases for much less than $3800.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score