• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Delta Skymiles Reserve American Express card

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
Does anyone have this card? If so, is it worth it?

It's $550 a year, and includes an annual companion certificate that can be used with Delta Comfort+ and Delta Business fares. My current card provides an annual companion certificate, but for main cabin only. 3X points for Delta purchases with the new card, but I typically use cash back cards instead. I've not learned how to play the reward card optimization game yet, that some here seem good about.

The Reserve card also includes free entry to Delta Sky Miles clubs.

We nearly always fly Delta, so we should be able to take advantage of the companion certificates.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Delta recently announced significant changes that will impact this card starting 2025. You will be limited to 15 visits to the Delta sky club, Originally they announced 10 visits and changed their mind so who knows what it will actually be?

The companion ticket is a good perk if you are able to find availability. Tickets are somewhat difficult to find and I frequently am not able to find flights on the days that I want to fly.

Their elite program is going through major changes so you might want to see how things settle down. Currently many folks are dropping their reserve card due to the changes happening in 2025. This is a year away and may change again?

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
Delta recently announced significant changes that will impact this card starting 2025. You will be limited to 15 visits to the Delta sky club, Originally they announced 10 visits and changed their mind so who knows what it will actually be?

The companion ticket is a good perk if you are able to find availability. Tickets are somewhat difficult to find and I frequently am not able to find flights on the days that I want to fly.

Their elite program is going through major changes so you might want to see how things settle down. Currently many folks are dropping their reserve card due to the changes happening in 2025. This is a year away and may change again?
thanks for the feedback. if current holders are starting to wonder, maybe it's best to just sit on it. and if all we are doing is making back the annual fee, then i have to question how often we'll take advantage of the other perks to make it worthwhile.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
With the Delta Skymiles Reserve card, you don't get the companion certificate until after you've had the card for I year. As soon as got the certificate, I tried to use it for 1st class seats for a trip that was 4 months away, and there was no availability. I called to cancel the card, and they let me downgrade to a $95/year Delta SkyMiles Gold card which also has a 1st bag free benefit and allows you to use points to pay for part of the ticket.

Here's my original rant.

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
With the Delta Skymiles Reserve card, you don't get the companion certificate until after you've had the card for I year. As soon as got the certificate, I tried to use it for 1st class seats for a trip that was 4 months away, and there was no availability. I called to cancel the card, and they let me downgrade to a $95/year Delta SkyMiles Gold card which also has a 1st bag free benefit and allows you to use points to pay for part of the ticket.

Here's my original rant.

Good to know. We've had a pair of the Delta Silver (or Platinum?) with a main cabin upgrade which we've been able to use, but it kind of always feels like we are barely able to use it in time. We don't fly that much. Just retired so likely to be flying more now. I did wonder if we would get the certificate right away since it's an upgrade and they talk about pro-rating the two cards fees at the time of the upgrade.
How flexible was your search for flights 4 months out?

superfriend620

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott OceanWatch, DVC Bay Lake Tower, Christie Lodge, Sheraton Broadway Resort
For me while they had the incentives to get status I was able to charge a Reno on the card fly delta a lot and now I have platinum medallion so I auto upgrade to comfort, get two free bags and have upgraded once or twice to first class.

I am confused about what is happening next year I think my status was based on MQMs and they are now just going to MQDs but you can also earn those with the card.

I always started the year with the card charged to whatever I needed to get status the next year and then moved onto chase sapphire. Lots to learn about these changes

I think they are also charging something crazy for guests now like $50 or something which is insane when my 5 year old eats cereal. I had a first class comp tix booked for Xmas last year and had to change it so I lost it. This year I have one for thanksgiving week that I actually booked in Sept so that was mind blowing. I’ve had two passes not be used so that sucked.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Good to know. We've had a pair of the Delta Silver (or Platinum?) with a main cabin upgrade which we've been able to use, but it kind of always feels like we are barely able to use it in time. We don't fly that much. Just retired so likely to be flying more now. I did wonder if we would get the certificate right away since it's an upgrade and they talk about pro-rating the two cards fees at the time of the upgrade.
How flexible was your search for flights 4 months out?
I didn't have any flexibility. We had to book our timeshare weeks 12 months in advance, and I didn't get the certificate until 4 months out. We could have used the certificate for a 6 AM flight, but we're too old to get up that early. I also found out you can't use eCredits or miles for cash in combination with the certificate. The eCredits we had were going to expire. I still have the certificate, so I may try to use it for our trip in 2025. I'll try and book it the day when flights become available. Obviously, I'm not a Delta fan anymore. MSP is a Delta hub, and we don't have many other choices.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We have the platinum card which is suppose to have a certificate for a main cabin seat. We’ve had the card for several years but have never been able to use the certificate. I’ve stopped wasting my time searching. For now we use the card for lounge access. Depending on Deltas FF mile changes and changes to the cost of the card, we may downgrade from platinum to gold. It’s been tough sledding to get any real value from this level of card and I see no value in upgrading if the first class certificate is as worthless as the main cabin certificates

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
We have the platinum card which is suppose to have a certificate for a main cabin seat. We’ve had the card for several years but have never been able to use the certificate. I’ve stopped wasting my time searching. For now we use the card for lounge access. Depending on Deltas FF mile changes and changes to the cost of the card, we may downgrade from platinum to gold. It’s been tough sledding to get any real value from this level of card and I see no value in upgrading if the first class certificate is as worthless as the main cabin certificates
it is easier to find eligible flights on your own now. in the past I had to work with an agent, now you can do it self service online.

we are in detroit, so delta is almost always the best option to fly.

Last edited: