• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone have something nice to say [about Mayan Palace] ???

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Zib - I agree with Tropical Lady, you should check with the Concierge and/or Customer Service. That said, we often request units overlooking the golf course and parking garage in either Acapulco or Nuevo as after a day in the sun, we like shade! We have seen many sunsets and the decks facing the ocean are hot in the late afternoon. Besides, we love to "people watch" and like to watch the dynamics of the employees as they come and go.

curtbrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been Mayan owners for about 20 years and upgraded to Grand a few years ago. However I am VERY unhappy with Grand in NV. We have been there 4 years in a row and have ALWAYS been assigned a unit in the back that looks directly into the GARAGE!!!

We're owners too, and once or twice over the last 4-5 years we've been put on the back side of the GM in Nuevo Vallarta as well. However, each time it has been when we've booked our time a couple months after the time initially became available for booking (i.e.- we were booking 1-2 months after all of the other owners booked their time). While we would have preferred to have had an ocean view, it was our own fault for booking late, and we were just happy to be getting away to enjoy Mexico, no matter what the view. When booking the popular Winter months, we've found you really need to be on the phone or on the website right when the weeks come available or you may be out of luck.

One of the other things that may be making it tough to get a view room is that in the last few years, the Grand Luxxe & Grand Bliss owners have been put into the GM buildings until adequate inventory in those resorts is available. That cuts down the number of available ocean view units as well. Since they've invested more money in the program, and because typically all contracts spell out that specific views or locations can't be guaranteed, sometimes it's a little tough to get exactly what you want.

Curt

Last edited:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We're owners too, and once or twice over the last 4-5 years we've been put on the back side of the GM in Nuevo Vallarta as well. However, each time it has been when we've booked our time a couple months after the time initially became available for booking (i.e.- we were booking 1-2 months after all of the other owners booked their time). While we would have preferred to have had an ocean view, it was our own fault for booking late, and we were just happy to be getting away to enjoy Mexico, no matter what the view. When booking the popular Winter months, we've found you really need to be on the phone or on the website right when the weeks come available or you may be out of luck.

One of the other things that may be making it tough to get a view room is that in the last few years, the Grand Luxxe & Grand Bliss owners have been put into the GM buildings until adequate inventory in those resorts is available. That cuts down the number of available ocean view units as well. Since they've invested more money in the program, and because typically all contracts spell out that specific views or locations can't be guaranteed, sometimes it's a little tough to get exactly what you want.

Curt

Do you ask for a particular location when you check-in? We always ask for a particular location and have always gotten it at both GM - Nuevo Vallarta and GM - Riviera Maya. As I said, we are exchangers through SFX.

curtbrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can ask for a location at check-in (and they will generally try to accommodate), but there are no guarantees, even as an owner. It's based on availability and also when it was booked (at least that's what we've been told).

Curt

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know I've been told that WHEN you book has a lot to do with it, but I don't think that's true because EVERY year I have booked, I have gotten up in the wee hours (4:00am) of the morning on the FIRST day bookings opened to start booking for that month and have booked very early in the day (all four years!) So, I guess they don't like us. And I'm not crabby or demamding with them. I try to be reasonable and polite because I realize that you get more response with sugar than vinegar, but no luck for us. It's probably true that they make room for the Luxx & Bliss people first, as we do go in high times. I think I may try Cabo next time. I'm not too fond of Cabo but I think I'd like to try San Jose Del Cabo, maybe.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Curt
Ok, just to vent-not directed to Curt, and I am sure some won't agree with me, but this is one thing that ticks me off.

Frankly, I don't care how much money the owners of new levels pay--I just think that if they pay for a certain product, and rooms aren't available, they wait til they are.

Owners in lower levels have been helping to fund this expansion for years and we get pushed out of the way to give overflow accommodations to the new level owners. Meanwhile, as others have posted here, Luxxe developer units are posted for exchange or cheap rentals.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Frankly, I don't care how much money the owners of new levels pay--I just think that if they pay for a certain product, and rooms aren't available, they wait til they are.

Owners in lower levels have been helping to fund this expansion for years and we get pushed out of the way to give overflow accommodations to the new level owners. Meanwhile, as others have posted here, Luxxe developer units are posted for exchange or cheap rentals.

Luxxe owners do have in their contracts that they can exchange for more rooms at the other resorts. However, in general, they have to do so on the same time window as the owners of those resorts; but regardless, it is more people seeking the same times.

I am extremely concerned about your second point as it does seem that Grupo Vidanta is dumping developer weeks to the exchange companies even for prime weeks. I have no problem and actually support this for weeks not booked by owners or for slow times, but it seems that they do it early and in so doing deprive owners from access. This is just wrong.

I will be visiting NV in a few weeks; This is at the top of my list of complaints that I will be pursuing.

Mike

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am extremely concerned about your second point as it does seem that Grupo Vidanta is dumping developer weeks to the exchange companies even for prime weeks. I have no problem and actually support this for weeks not booked by owners or for slow times, but it seems that they do it early and in so doing deprive owners from access. This is just wrong.

Mike

They apparently dump them very early as I have gotten exchanges to Grand Mayan through SFX as early as 15 months in advance. They had the weeks available when I requested them. That means they had the developer weeks at least 15 months in advance and they were prime weeks. I think their main concern is getting new sales prospects rather than making their owners happy.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think their main concern is getting new sales prospects rather than making their owners happy.

Captain Renault would be shocked if he knew of this.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
They apparently dump them very early as I have gotten exchanges to Grand Mayan through SFX as early as 15 months in advance. They had the weeks available when I requested them. That means they had the developer weeks at least 15 months in advance and they were prime weeks. I think their main concern is getting new sales prospects rather than making their owners happy.

Unfortunately, I think that is true. I believe Grupo Vidanta needs to be a increasingly careful with this strategy as it is clearly aggravating an increasing number of owners, as evidenced on other more focused websites.

Realistically, as an owner, I like the strategy idea of keeping the resorts full during low seasons. It keeps revenue flowing and the restaurants all open - but not at the expense of the owners.

One thing GV is good at is is changing policies and strategies that are not working; I suggest this is one policy worth addressing and changing.

Mike

curtbrown

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm not saying it is right, but preference DOES seem to go to the Owners with the larger portfolios.

But owners in the "lower levels" should understand that many (probably most) of the "new" higher level owners came up from the "lower levels" through upgrades over the years and have been paying for the expansion all those years as well. Many of them have been Owners since the very beginning. Now that they own one of the higher levels, the large amounts of money they are paying, initially through their large purchase price, and also annually through higher annual MF's, go a long way to pay for the upgraded grounds and golf courses that everyone enjoys. Without that additional money, there would be very little real improvement to the resort, just a continuation of status quo, via routine maintenance and redecoration of the units.

But, I have mixed feelings about the developer weeks - I understand that the Developer holds all unsold inventory, and can do what they want with them and they are not subject to a fixed lead time like the Owner's contract has built into it. The big problem comes in during the high demand times, when owners could easily fill 100% (or more) of the units. However, since the developer owns a large percentage, 100% of the inventory is not available to the Owners. Someone will always be left out, while "non-owners" can easily book the Developer weeks. It just doesn't seem right. On the other hand, without the developer bringing in new potential buyers (with their constant influx of money), the resorts would cease to operate. It's a double edged sword.

Just my $0.02

Curt

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know I've been told that WHEN you book has a lot to do with it, but I don't think that's true because EVERY year I have booked, I have gotten up in the wee hours (4:00am) of the morning on the FIRST day bookings opened to start booking for that month and have booked very early in the day (all four years!) So, I guess they don't like us. And I'm not crabby or demamding with them. I try to be reasonable and polite because I realize that you get more response with sugar than vinegar, but no luck for us. It's probably true that they make room for the Luxx & Bliss people first, as we do go in high times. I think I may try Cabo next time. I'm not too fond of Cabo but I think I'd like to try San Jose Del Cabo, maybe.

How many months can you reserve in advance?
Do you have Profile A benefits?

We have Profile A Status with $120K equity according to Mayan. The last rep we spoke to explained that we can keep Profile A status with any contract we upgrade to. I asked how Profile A status was/is obtained. He said they no longer offer it. But when we obtained it we had 40K equity in a 2 + 2 contract and purchasing another contract for 4 + 4 with 80K equity qualified our contract for Profile A benefits (12 months advance reservation, room location preference, fruit plates in the room when we arrive etc). At that time a letter was sent to owners with $50,000 or more in equity of developer contracts (not resale) explaining their new status as "Profile A." Later $100,000 equity was required to reach Profile A status. Later they no longer offered it.

My concern is that higher level owners GL, GLV, GB, GM etc can downgrade to lower level units (and more of them) and possibly make it difficult for us to get our MP reservations. The rep said that wouldn't happen. And if we upgrade to GM, we would have a Profile A advantage over the non Profile A owners reserving GM.

Last edited:

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you ask for a particular location when you check-in? We always ask for a particular location and have always gotten it at both GM - Nuevo Vallarta and GM - Riviera Maya. As I said, we are exchangers through SFX.

Is the location/dates you request your unit consider high demand or just a unit you happen to like?

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is the location/dates you request your unit consider high demand or just a unit you happen to like?

High demand for both dates and unit location. Ocean view upper floor for GM - Nuevo Vallarta, Building 1, 2, or 7 3rd floor facing lake for GM - Riviera Maya.

Last edited:

curtbrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
One other thing that hasn't been brought up in the discussion regarding is that the view and the location of the room you end up with may be affected by the Multi-Day Check-in policy.

Because they offer check-in on Fri / Sat / Sun / Mon, there is a limited number of units coming available on any given day. For example, if you check-in on a Friday, there may not be a view availability until the following day. They can only give out the rooms that are available on the day of your check-in - if none are available, they can't give you what they don't have. In other resorts, where everyone checks in on the same day, ALL of the view rooms would be available on that day (with the exception of the rooms where people are staying for multiple weeks).

This last December, we checked into the Grand Bliss and were put in a unit overlooking the construction on the golf course. We had originally reserved a GM unit on the first day they came available to reserve (initially they didn't have a firm opening date for GB). As soon as we heard the GB would be opening in Nov. '11, we called and got our early Dec. reservation moved to the GB building. Upon check-in, and even though we had booked our room at the earliest day possible, we were told that no ocean view rooms were available because many of the rooms in the building weren't completed yet. We took golf course view at that point, and were then given the option of moving to an OV room the next day after another guest checked out. So, as you can see, the availability is reduced on any given day due to the staggered check-ins. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix too...

Curt

Tropical lady

Reaction score
Curt,
You are correct about availability vs day of check in. I'm pleased to see that you did get into a better location the next day. That has happened to us in other resorts, but not being an owner there was never the option to move when it became available, even tho making the request. In fact one building had just been renovated (almost empty) and we were placed in the one that was not and almost unacceptable "because they had to keep the unit in case the owner showed up".
We could not get into the GB during your same time and stayed in the GM, 8th floor, ocean view......spectacular! Even tho these reservations were made under a GB contract, once they found out we were now GL owners, they could not do enough.

curtbrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
We could not get into the GB during your same time and stayed in the GM, 8th floor, ocean view......spectacular! Even tho these reservations were made under a GB contract, once they found out we were now GL owners, they could not do enough.

Sorry we took your room @ GB... LOL

Curt

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I did notice a change at the GM NV in the second bedroom this year. It now has 2 double (might be queen) beds instead of a king. Makes the room look smaller but I like having the extra bed.