• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Feb 1 WRORV Board of directr meeting

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Just checked in yesterday and notice on desks of WRORV BOD meeting Ocean resort villas vacation Owners association on Mon Feb 1 9:45 am at WKROV training room
on agenda
call to order
determination of quorum
confirmation of proper meeting notice
Old Business
real property tax approval of appraiser
other issues

New business
ratification of approval to allow movie crew to film in common areas
other issues

We received proxies, filled out [voted for TUG member for board], sent in BUT I seem to remember the BOD meeting was scheduled for end of February. I knew we would miss it since we are here this week

Does anyone remember the dates on the proxies we were sent?
Any other TUGGERs here at WRORV, we will be at the meeting

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
pharmgirl, ... There is a difference between a regular HOA board meeting and the annual meeting of the members.

The board needs to meet from time to time to run the resort. The annual meeting of the members is where the election takes place.

I did not see the election on the agenda and it appears this is a meeting of the board and not an annual meeting of the members.

However, if you can spare the time, go and report back on the appraiser (property tax issues) and the movie that will be filming (common areas would probably include the beach) - and anything else that might come up. ... eom

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I saw that notice while I was there as well... which is a good indicator.

So my only question is whether the HOA gets the rental fees for a movie shoot on the property, or does Starwood have some management costs associated with it to negate much of the benefit? And if no monetary benefit, then why permit it in the first place? (Forgive me, I'm from LA ~ there's just no benefit other than $$$ to have a movie shot on your property... I know too many first hand situations where "stuff happens" that cost lots to fix, aggravation, etc.).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Since all beaches are public in Hawaii, I am guessing that they were shooting on the beach and just infringed on the resort, and there was no fee paid. They probably had a permit to use the beach from the local authorities.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Since all beaches are public in Hawaii, I am guessing that they were shooting on the beach and just infringed on the resort, and there was no fee paid. They probably had a permit to use the beach from the local authorities.

Then why require a Board vote to approve?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Was that on the agenda? Sorry - missed that completely! :eek: :eek: :eek:

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score

But isn't it public only up to the high water mark?

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ken555, ... Products like Coke and Apple and Ford pay money so that their products appear in movies. It happens all the time. It's advertising.

However, even if WKORV doesn't get a red cent as the rental "fee" (not saying they won't), the possible destruction is covered in the agreement with an indemity agreement from the movie maker to the resort to reimburse for damages. ... eom

pharmgirl

Reaction score
movie filming was approved, fees will be split between N and S
BOD now has better process to avoid late mailing of proxies [said lateness was partially due to BOD resignation, partly due to now needing new BOD member required a change in proxie and this put timing within Thanksgiving holiday] cost $6000

BOD is hiring an appraiser [cap of $10000], Holstrum Group, hearing about tax appeal will probably be in April. General manager, Grer Lundberg [sp??] is head of Maui County ARDA, ARDA is having a survey they hope will present spending benefits Timeshares vs non-TS, Also they put together a presentation of employees of Starwood to show the benefits of continued employment, economy etc of voters [employees]

There are approximately 20 foreclosures, about 5 to 7%, there is a foreclosure process beig tried with a vendor that wil be about $850 to $1000/per foreclosure. Will be run by HOA, not starwood, minimum amount at foreclosure would be any owed maintenance fees and foreclosure fees. Present owners would be notified so they could participate if wanted
HOA is now renting 60 day pool [think that is any unused unit not reserved at 60 days], foreclosed units will be rented after the 60 days pool is rented. Any amounts received after costs would go to HOA. BOD said there is better gain from the 60 day pool.

Four of the 5 BOD members are non-starwood and one starwood appointee on BOD

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the WKORV HOA Board is pretty on top of things. And, not - at all - made up of Starwood employees.

The rate of return is higher for the 60 day vacant units because the MF (mostly) have been paid already.

Units rented where the MF remain unpaid result in a credit to the delinquent owner to cover the money owed on the delinquent MF. The HOA only gets the overage - if any. ... eom

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken555, ... Products like Coke and Apple and Ford pay money so that their products appear in movies. It happens all the time. It's advertising.

Yes, but that wasn't the topic on the agenda that I saw. Not sure if product placement has anything to do with this shoot.

However, even if WKORV doesn't get a red cent as the rental "fee" (not saying they won't), the possible destruction is covered in the agreement with an indemity agreement from the movie maker to the resort to reimburse for damages. ... eom
Yes, but I'd like to know the advantage of allowing a movie to be filmed at WKORV. Is it to market the resort? How is it going to benefit owners? We hear this type of question *a lot* in Los Angeles.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ken555, ... Since it is a matter you hear a lot of in LA ...............

how much would you ask for if Dirty Harry's people called your people and asked about a shoot at your I.T. solutions company and promised you that your firm's logo would prominently appear in the shots?

Wouldn't you just say "That's a Miracle! C'mon right in!" lol! ... eom

dan w

Reaction score
I attended the meeting(s) today

OK, no flames please. Just what I heard and my thoughts. I could be wrong. Before I start, I have owned at both North and South starting when each was a hole in the ground. I have been on my neighborhhod association and Temple Boards of directors, as well as President of our Brotherhood, so I have some experience with volunteer boards, and a good bit of sympathy.

There were 4 meetings-Master Association and BOD for both North and South. The meeting was not the annual meeting. It was a special meeting to deal with the NEW movie filming proposal and hiring an expert witness to testify re: proporty valuation for the appeal of the tax increases.

The Boards had some overlap in membership. Each has 4 owners plus 1 rep from Starwood. After each Board met, they threw the phone call open to questions from attendees (apx 20 owners showed up). They were very open about answering all questions. Not defensive. No sense of ducking any concerns or complains. The property general manager, Greg Lundberg, (who is also an owner) stuck around and answered additional questions and listened to suggestions until we ran out of questions or suggestions.

Topics and what I heard...

The election. One of the members of the BOD informned the board he was resigning just before Thanksgiving, causing the Board to have an unexpected election at the annual meeting. This required some changes in the paperwork around Thanksgiving and for a couple of reasons materials got mailed late, which required a remailing. The Board pressed for clear explanations of what caused the confusion and how to avoid it in the future.

The new movie (Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston) is requesting to film in public areas (pools, lobby, elevator areas, rooms, etc). They want to film for 39 days starting after Easter. The production company contact Starwood about this. The production company is looking at Sheraton Waikiki and KORN. Greg has put together a proposal for them. He was very clear that they would look to monimize the impact on guests. They would give notice of what was being closed when so folks could plan ahead. They would make sure similar facilities were available if the film crew was using one. For instance, 1 hot tub would always be open. If the film was at the lower pool, the upper pool would be open, or the South pool would be open. The pirate ship would be not be used since that is a unique feature that cannot be replaced if a guest wants to use it. Given we have pool closing from kids getting sick in the pool, being bumped next door up to the other end for a few hours seems pretty normal :)

The 2 main reasons Greg thinks this is a good proposal for the property. 1-The crew will be renting rooms during the low season (apx 60 rooms, while Greg said he has 600 rooms to fill during that season) and the crew wants breakfast and lunch every day, and the hotel restaurant isn't open for those meals, so it will be no impact to guests and put money into the restaurant. Overall, Greg thinks this could put up to $500K into the ASSOCIATION's pocket beyond what the restaurant makes. And this is the SLOW season, so its a good time. 2-This is good visibility for the property. Starwood is negotiating to get the hotel name and log into the film, which should help sell rooms in the future, and long term that is good for the property. Greg mentioned while Eastwood did not film here, they rented rooms, which is always good. He said he also had a number of guests who loved getting to see Clint and get autographs. That is totally up to taste. Could be seen as an inconvenience. Could be a selling point. I wasn't here, so I won't judge. I will say, given the number of vacancies on the island, anything that is not too disruptive and shows people how cool this property is is likely to put money into the pockets of the association or let us tell our friends, "yeah., Its a cool resort and we own there".

The Tax issue. Let me step back. Greg mentioned there were a series of events beyond the ossociations controls that have bumped things up (a perfect storm). They had 3 "100 year storms" in 1 year which caused flooding in the basement. The Indonesian tsunami raised everyone's disaster insurance. The the county decided to go after the timeshares for taxes. One couple mentioend they owned at St John's resort and were just hit with a 3 year $600/year special assessment for room remodeling (change the counter tops, etc). This was driving by the way the previous firm ran their assessments. It was nice to hear KOR(south) had just finished remodeling the soft features (carpet, etc) in 3 building over the last 2 years and that was ALL covered by fees paid over the years for that purpose. They are also starting to save up for ADA changes that will need to be implemented over the next 5 years (nothing major so far, but probably grab bars). My sense was the things that are fairly preductable are being managed and accounted for. Greg mentioned he'd given the Board a proposal to make cuts in 15 areas last year. The Board accepted some, rejected others, aiming to keep the resort feel (we could certainly cut back to become the Whaler, but not what I was looking for when I bought). They froze professional staff salaries. They have reduces energy/utilities usage by $1 million a year. The new housekeeping/groundkeeping crew is all local Hawaiian (Philippino Hawaiians) vs having to bring in crew from the mainland when the unemployment rate was near zero a few years ago. All this supports the bottom line of the Association.

So the Tax thing. I truly came away PISSED at the County and appreciative of the work the Board and Greg are doing. [Political comments deleted.] ...many companies are avoiding having any meetings of conferences at anything labeled a resort or at any nice location, EVEN IF IT IS CHEAPER. Las Vegas has had this problem. Hawaii is having it in spades. There was an article in the local paper about hotels pulling "resort" out of their name to get more business.

My read-The Mayor of Maui county has decided that since Timeshare owners don't vote and have enough money to buy timeshares, we are a cash cow.

The facts: The mayor has proposed a budget for next year where total propoerty tax revenue increases but has said all resudential values will be reduced. So Hotels, timeshares and Condos will make up the difference. Owners have contacted the county and received different reasons for the tax increase. it seems like they have just decided they want more money and are making up different stories on how to get it. There are 2 issues in play. First, the county raised the tax rate from $7.50/1000 in value to $14/1000 a couple of years ago. They had proposed going to $21/1000 but the Timeshare association got them to reduce it. I believe Greg said fully-owned condos (or maybe it was houses) are taxes at $2/1000. But hey, they vote. We don't. Second issue is how the county appraises the value of the resort. They have told the Association and Greg that while the units were being sold, the property was appraised at its construction value. Now that it is 95% sold, they are appraising compared to similar properties. Funny how KOR(south) has been sold out a while, but they didn;t notice that till the economy and tax base tanked). They have chosed The Whaler, Kapalua and a 3rd full time owner condo developments as comparissons, assessing our unit values at $1.1 mil. And they sprund this in 1 year, not build up.

What has the association done? They paid the taxes, protesting the increase. So the increase is sitting in an escrow account and may be returned if our challenge is successful (I say our and we, because as owners, we are the association). There will be a hearing as soon as April where we will challenge both the tax rate and the valuation. If that fails, we go to State and then Federal court. Ultimately, the county has a lot of leeway to charge whatever taxes they want. So we'll see ho it goes. The association approved an expert witness to testify on the appropriate appraisal process/value. This is complex and political.

On the encouraging side, There is an association (American Resorts Development Association) which is organizing a grass roots campaign by owners to support the formal protests. Greg is te Maui Chair. He mentioned at one county hearing he brough his local employees to testify on how the county's moves are hurting Hawaiin's jobs. He said the tone of the country changed visibly. So we'll likely hear more on what we can do to support the association in pressuring the county (e.g., if my fees go up, I eat at my condo, not at the local restaurants, and jobs will suffer more).

I had heard Marriott did not get hit by fees/tax increases. Greg mentioned he got called by the GM at the Marriott last week asking if we'd had a tax increase and if he could hear how we were addressing it. Sounds like we're on the pointy end of the spear on this, but others will follow as they get county notices.

In the Q&A they also discussed people who defaulted on their fees. I'll post re: that later (got to run off to the Barefoot Bar for snacks).

I hope this was helpful.

BTW, jeff, great to see you on this BBS. And thanks for running for the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dan w,

No flames from me. Thanks for the long post...much appreciation.

And, welcome to Tug...hope to see you around more often.

Added: Were you made aware of Tug at the meeting? Both you and sjlola made your first post after this meeting.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Dan and welcome to TUG! :hi:

I'm sorry, but I had to edit your political comments, because we have a strict no-politics rule.

Thanks for your insight regarding the issues on Maui, and I hope you will hang around!

I wouldn't get too excited about ARDA - they represent developers, not owners. There may be instances where our goals intersect, but overall, they work for the developer.

Last edited:

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
Hey Dan, I got in late on Sunday evening and didn't hear about the meeting today, so I missed it. Would you like to meet some time this week for a drink or whatever?

Greg

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken555, ... Since it is a matter you hear a lot of in LA ...............

how much would you ask for if Dirty Harry's people called your people and asked about a shoot at your I.T. solutions company and promised you that your firm's logo would prominently appear in the shots?

Wouldn't you just say "That's a Miracle! C'mon right in!" lol! ... eom

That is *exactly* my point. This would be a benefit to Starwood/Westin, and not necessarily the KORV owners. Though Dan's thoughtful post states that the HOA would earn $$$ from the shoot, which is great.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I couldn't care less about rubbing elbows with a movie star, but if it benefits the HOA financially and brings positive publicity to the resort, I'm all for it.

Hmmmm... that might be a good rental spin - I bet a lot of people would like to rent at WKORV during the filming. ;)

Last edited:

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
I'm beginnig to agree with you, Denise. At first, I was most concerned about loss of use for both owners and renters: owners because after all, we paid for this and renters because if they have a bad experience, they'll never consider buying OR come here again. But most people seem to like the idea of "rubbing elbows" and the pool bar staff was saying Clint was nice as could be about autographs and pics. IF handled correctly, filming here and production crews staying here would be excellent marketing for the resort. Think about it: of all the high-end resorts on Maui, KORV is attracting the attention of location scouts. Speaks pretty well to our place!

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
sjlola, ... The statement from the pool bar staff that "Clint was as nice as can be about autographs and pics" doesn't track with this statement about his attitude when he was there:

"FWIW, word on the street among the other grillers is that Clint doesn't sign autographs."

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114163

Don't know who is correct, but maybe Jennifer Aniston will do better. She was always very nice to people while walking her dog when she was living in Chicago with Vince Vaughn.

Glad to hear that the "semi-permanent" port-o-potties are still gone. Maybe they will reappear for the 39 days of shooting for $500K planned... [Edited - DeniseM]

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too excited about ARDA - they represent developers, not owners. There may be instances where our goals intersect, but overall, they work for the developer.

Wouldn't developer and owner interests be 100% aligned in this case? Owners obviously are immediately impacted, but developers have a more difficult time moving unsold inventory and would be reluctant to develop more inventory if they had to present ugly maintenance fees to potential buyers resulting from higher taxes.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
[jarta - I am the moderator and you are not. I will decide what is appropriate and what is not appropriate. Your post was an obvious dig at previous posters. I am not putting up with it any more. Unless you want another suspension - let it go. DeniseM Moderator]

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
The statement from the pool bar staff that "Clint was as nice as can be about autographs and pics" doesn't track with this statement about his attitude when he was there:

"FWIW, word on the street among the other grillers is that Clint doesn't sign autographs."

I got the info regarding Clint’s refusal to sign autographs straight from the son of a SVO 5 Star in Minneapolis. He was on his honeymoon thanks to his 5 Star mom’s StarOptions and going into pilot training with the U.S. Air Force in Texas in a few weeks. (If his mom is a Tugger here please identify yourself. It was great meeting your son). Plus, he was grilling wholesome “veggie burgers.” Now who you are going to believe?

Yah know, it is quite possible that both the young hero and the bartender are both correct. Clint could have refused some autographs throughout the day AND still agreed to sign some at the end of the day at the bar. Why anyone would make an issue of this particular discrepancy is beyond me. But, nevertheless, I feel compelled to protect the integrity and honor of my source, who is devoting and risking his life to protect our rights, including the right of some folks here to call him a liar for apparently no other reason than because they can.

-nodge