• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good time to go to Britain!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Traveler's checks? Now that's a blast from the past. :)

Normally I wouldn't bother with Traveler's checks, but I need £700 cash for the flat I was renting, and my bank only allows withdrawls of $200 per day, so I needed a way to get £700 in one transaction. I was able to do that for a reasonable fee by cashing traveler's checks at the post office.

Last edited:

jmatias

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a trip to London in August for 1 week followed by a week in Paris.

Reading here and on Flyertalk looks like the Schwab CC is good b/c of no foreign transaction fees.

But about how much cash should I have?

Jen

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Normally I wouldn't bother with Traveler's checks, but I need £700 cash for the flat I was renting, and my bank only allows withdrawls of $200 per day, so I needed a way to get £700 in one transaction. I was able to do that for a reasonable fee by cashing traveler's checks at the post office.

I had an experience in Germany where I needed 500 euros ASAP. The ATM would only let me have 250. I went to another ATM from the same bank down the street and got another 250. Why I could do that and not get 500 at the first one is beyond me.:confused: My bank would have let me have the 500 so the limit was with the German bank.

Cheers

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
That doesn't help if you're planning to go in, say, summer 2010, but want to lock in the exchange rate now. Also, my experience with using foreign ATMs is that the exchange rate is variable, you have to pay the ATM service fees for two banks, I have not found the rate to be significantly better than the rate at Wells Fargo here in the U.S. (by more than a penny or two per hundred dollar), and the banks often charge exchange rate service fees on top of the ATM withdrawal service fees.

If you are using ATM's the smart thing to do is use an ATM card from a US credit union, which generally have reasonable ATM fees, not one from a bank which has fees that are usually not reasonable. The Plus or Cirrus network charges 1% for doing the conversion, which is reasonable. A credit union generally just passes this on. A bank adds on another 1% or now often 2% for which it performs absolutely no service. The best is a CapOne ATM card from their online bank, which charges 0% as they even eat the Plus or Cirrus charge. The per use fee can range from 0 at some credit unions to 50 or 75 cents at others and up to $5 at some banks. As to the machine owners fee, in the UK, the ATM will usually tell you if there is such a fee and at many ATM's attached to banks there is not one.

If I am outside London, I generally change money at an ATM using my credit union ATM card. If I am in London, I use an exchange office I know offers a good rate and no commission.

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
money exchange

My wife and I are going to London then on to Normandy in March. This will be our first trip and we will be landing at Heathrow and taking the Tube to our hotel downtown near the British Museum. So when I get off the plane and head for the Tube do I pick up enough Euro's at the airport to pay for the tube ride or buy some over here from my credit union? Also, we will be taking the train from Charing Cross Station to Dover then the ferry to Calais then renting a car for the drive to Normandy. It looks like from my research that I will not need to buy advance tickets for the train leg but maybe for the ferry crossing is this correct? Thanks, Curt

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
If you are using ATM's the smart thing to do is use an ATM card from a US credit union, which generally have reasonable ATM fees, not one from a bank which has fees that are usually not reasonable. The Plus or Cirrus network charges 1% for doing the conversion, which is reasonable. A credit union generally just passes this on. A bank adds on another 1% or now often 2% for which it performs absolutely no service. The best is a CapOne ATM card from their online bank, which charges 0% as they even eat the Plus or Cirrus charge. The per use fee can range from 0 at some credit unions to 50 or 75 cents at others and up to $5 at some banks. As to the machine owners fee, in the UK, the ATM will usually tell you if there is such a fee and at many ATM's attached to banks there is not one.

If I am outside London, I generally change money at an ATM using my credit union ATM card. If I am in London, I use an exchange office I know offers a good rate and no commission.

I agree. Credit Unions usually have the best foreign exchange process. I always use my Credit Union Card for cash withdrawals. I also use a Capital One Card for charges in Europe or other Foreign Countries. It seems to have the best rates and mimimun or no extra fees. I stopped using AMEX for foreign travel a year or two ago when they started tacking on the extra fees.

Cheers

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to London then on to Normandy in March. This will be our first trip and we will be landing at Heathrow and taking the Tube to our hotel downtown near the British Museum. So when I get off the plane and head for the Tube do I pick up enough Euro's at the airport to pay for the tube ride or buy some over here from my credit union? Also, we will be taking the train from Charing Cross Station to Dover then the ferry to Calais then renting a car for the drive to Normandy. It looks like from my research that I will not need to buy advance tickets for the train leg but maybe for the ferry crossing is this correct? Thanks, Curt

I avoid Heathrow, which the In Your Pocket travel guidebook series recently named the worst airport in Europe, and fly TATL into Gatwick or intra-Europe into Gatwick, Stansted, or Luton. You will need British pounds to pay for things in the UK, which does not take Euros. You will need euros in France, however.

While I know that the Gatwick Express and Southern Railway, both of which have service from Gatwick to Victoria Station take plastic, I am not 100% certain about the tube, but I think it does as well. I am not certain of the exchange offices or their rates in the British Museum area.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
While I know that the Gatwick Express and Southern Railway, both of which have service from Gatwick to Victoria Station take plastic, I am not 100% certain about the tube, but I think it does as well. I am not certain of the exchange offices or their rates in the British Museum area.

I haven't been to London in a long time so can't help regarding the acceptability of plastic on the Underground. One point that is worth making is that if you use notes/bills in the ticket machines you get all the change in coins. Don't put in a £20 note for a £1.50 ticket or you'll be walking lopsided all day. :D (Don't ask how I know :eek: )

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to London in a long time so can't help regarding the acceptability of plastic on the Underground. One point that is worth making is that if you use notes/bills in the ticket machines you get all the change in coins. Don't put in a £20 note for a £1.50 ticket or you'll be walking lopsided all day. :D (Don't ask how I know :eek: )

I return to London enough that I have an Oyster Card, which does take plastic for refills and is useable on the tube. The problem I find is that, 50 percent or so of the time, London Oyster Card mechanical refill stations reject my American credit card, and I have to stand in a very long line (often 15-20 minutes) to get a human being to run them for me.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
One idea that hasn't been mentioned is to go to a currency exchange house where you live. I live in a medium-to-large city, (approx 1 million people) and there are a couple of currency exchange places downtown (conveniently across the street from the office building I work at!) that exchange currency at rates much better than any of the local banks or credit unions, and better than anything I was able to find in Britain, France, Italy or Spain last summer.

So it might be looking into. I've started buying either Euros or Pounds every month, both to lock in what might be a good rate and as a way to save for upcoming trips.

Michael

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One idea that hasn't been mentioned is to go to a currency exchange house where you live.

One reason I did not mention this is that the only currency exchange houses we have here in Orange County are Travelex. Their exchange rates are so bad that you could add a 15 percent service fee on top of your exchange anywhere else and do better. But for those of you who have a currency exchange house that offers better rates than your local bank or credit union, you should really explore their rates.

Just remember that a Credit Union is a nonprofit organization, so if you belong to one, you should certainly check the rates there.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
One reason I did not mention this is that the only currency exchange houses we have here in Orange County are Travelex. Their exchange rates are so bad that you could add a 15 percent service fee on top of your exchange anywhere else and do better. But for those of you who have a currency exchange house that offers better rates than your local bank or credit union, you should really explore their rates.

Just remember that a Credit Union is a nonprofit organization, so if you belong to one, you should certainly check the rates there.

I agree. Travelex has awful rates, whereever you go. Most of the big exchange chains are that way. It is usually the smaller exchange offices that offer the best rates. Also, in just about all countries that have adopted the euro, exchange rates have gotten noticibly worse and commissions more pervasive since those countries lost their independent currencies. I used to know of exchange houses with great rates and no commissions in Paris, for example, but these are now either out of business or their rates are no longer great and they have added commissions.

In exchanging with an exchange house, one has to remember both ways in which one may be charged. All exchange houses make their profit by charging a lower rate to buy a foreign currrency than they sell it for. The differential in this spread is their profit. Some also add another fee, double dipping and making it harder to compare rates, by adding a ''commission'', something akin to a bank ''junk fee''. Even worse for small transactions is the minimum commission, which is often seen at airports. Commissions have become pervasive in countries that use the euro. It wasn't so much this way back in the days of the independent currencies. In eastern Europe, however, commissions are usually rare, and you only have to look at the differential between buying and selling rates, or better if you can do some research and compare currency buying rates for the currency you have with the mid-market interbank rate.

Many exchange houses here make a clear statement ''no commission'' on their signs. If in doubt ask. One eastern European city where commissions used to be fairly common, although this is changing, is Prague. One major chain of exchange houses there used to have a small sign that showed their commission in units of Czech currency rather than as a percentage. Many customers probably did not grasp that this amounted to a 9.8% commission in addition to the differential in rates.

Generally exchanges offices inside an airport or train station gives a bad rate, high commission, or both, but walking just outside a train station often produces a good rate with no commission. One exception is the Zurich airport, where the bank exchange offices in both terminals offer good rates, and one of the two does that with no commission and the other with a rather small commission as commissions go.

I try to find an exchange house with a 2% or less differential between buying and selling rates, and at the very most 3%. Here locally, the differential between buying and selling rates is usually 1% or less between either dollars or euros and local currency, and with no commission. At times it is less than half of one percent. For other currencies, there is a wider spread buy most of that is on the buying side of the differential, and the selling rates are often very close to the midmarket rate. That means I can often do a double exchange by way of local currency into quite a few currencies at a rate much better than if I was in other country doing a direct exchange.

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
car rental

I usually rent a car through Costco when we travel in the U.S. as they allow a second driver for free. It does not look like they do this for rentals in Europe. Does anybody know the best way to go for a rental in Calais for driving in France? Thanks, Curt

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually rent a car through Costco when we travel in the U.S. as they allow a second driver for free. It does not look like they do this for rentals in Europe. Does anybody know the best way to go for a rental in Calais for driving in France? Thanks, Curt

For years, I found the best deals at www.europebycar.com or www.autoeurope.com , but lately I have done better at Economy Car Rentals. The link for that is on the car rental links at www.timeshareforums.com under link directory. I dont recall it off the top of my head. All of these firms are well established consolidators.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
It could. But think of it this way: The dollar is probably artificially high due to exuberance over the change of administrations. In addition, a lot of money is being spent through the recent TARP legislation, and more is likely to be spent in the stimululs package due to be passed by President's Day.

That means that the U.S. is printing up a lot of money that it does not have. No judgments on this -- I don't want it to be political. But the printing of excess money backed by nothing in real value is likely to cause a devaluation of the dollar, i.e., inflation. That means that, at some point, likely in the next year or two, the value of the dollar is likely to decline drastically. Are we at the top of the dollar's value right now? Not likely. But I wouldn't try to time the peak. My feeling is that the value is good right now, so it's a good time to stock up on Pounds if you visit Britain fairly regularly.

That said, don't discount the weakness in the British monetary system. Its banks have been trashed, and it is likely to Nationalize some, like the Royal Bank of Scotland. So, that could lead to further weakness in the Pound.

All I know is that the Pound costs me 25 percent less than it did last summer, so to me, that's a good time to stock up. If you want to be conservative, dollar cost average in. In other words, buy a couple of hundred dollars worth now, another couple of hundred in a month or two, and so on until you have enough to get you through your next couple of English vacations. That's what I'm probably going to do.

It's rare, but I completely agree with you on this topic.

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was in London in Aug, the exchange rate of C$ to GBP is more or less what I was used to but I was tremendously surprised when I went after xMas to get around C$1.80 per GBP which is about the lowest I remembered and I lived there for 2 years and make frequent trips there. US 1.4 to GBP is pretty decent so I would stock up at least a little bit for a trip.

The tube automated machines do take credit cards. If I only need s small amount for some things to tie me over, I have also bought something small at the duty free as you exit and give them some currency. The rates are not fantastic but no fees.

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are in London for a week, buy a weekly pass and it would give you an Oyster card for free. Otherwise it is only 3 GBP deposit and can save you a lot of money.

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mary, when you say stock up do you mean buy some here before I go? I am going to London in two weeks and wondered if I should buy some pounds before going or just get them out of a atm machine when I get there? Currently Wells Fargo sells them for about 5% above the price in the finance section in the paper. Thanks, Curt

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Mary, when you say stock up do you mean buy some here before I go? I am going to London in two weeks and wondered if I should buy some pounds before going or just get them out of a atm machine when I get there? Currently Wells Fargo sells them for about 5% above the price in the finance section in the paper. Thanks, Curt

I don't know that two weeks makes a big difference either way.

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
ATM

To get the most of your money, use the ATM. You get the best exchange rate and ATM's are all over the place. You might want to take a little currency with you, but I wouldn't take anymore than what is needed for a taxi or train. Also, it's a good idea to call your credit card company and let them know you'll be out of the company so they dont think your credit card number was stolen.