• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be in PV next October and have one week at Lindo Mar south of downtown. We are considering staying another week in Nuevo Vallarta to have a "beach week". The Grand Mayan is available. Can anyone tell me if all units face the ocean? I am assuming all have balconies. Are there restaurants nearby? Bus stop/taxis close? We do not rent a car and would depend on busses and taxis. Is it overly busy/crowded? Would the Grand Mayan be a great place to stay or just okay? Any other non-AI to recommend? It is a real departure for us to not be downtown, which we love, so we are kind of cautious to go so far out. Help please, from those who have been to GM or NV. THANKS!:)

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, all units are not ocean front. We have been there twice, once with a wonderful ocean view and once with a parking garage view. IMHO, it is a lovely resort. We enjoy renting a car while there and exploring north. You would be fine with public transportation. The units are large and the grounds beautiful. In fact, we just purchased a MP on ebay, because due to the 1 in 5 rule, could not wait to go back to Nuevo, albeit in the MP instead of the GM.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Linda

Thanks for the info. Does the GM assign rooms upon comfirmation with RCI or upon arrival? The view from our balcony is very important to us. Can you request ahead if the room numbers are not assigned upon RCI confirmation?

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Owners are given preference for the ocean views. If the resort is not busy you may have a better chance but don't count on it. We had a parking lot view too but the unit was excellent and we spent most of our time outside. Top notch resort. Have fun!

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Glenn

Boy, that makes me not want to stay there. We LOVE sitting on our lanai and enjoying the view. But, I will have to think...I know the rooms are really nice by looking at some pics on the web. PS I see you own at Pacific Shores. We are staying there July 1st. We can't wait - have heard such nice things about it.

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe all units at the Club Regina at Westin in the Marina have an ocean view. We got an ocean view the first time by calling the GM and requesting one...and that was President's Week.....the last time I did not call...whether that matters or not, I can't be sure.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

for the information everyone. I have been looking at the Regina, but nothing is available for the week I need. I went ahead and took a 2 bedroom at GM. We will hope for an ocean view, but at least we know ahead that we might not get one. Another question - how many restaurants are close by? Are they walking close or cab close? We don't want to eat at the resort all the time. We have the week following the GM at Lindo Mar, south of town. Love that place. We can't wait for October, now!!:clap:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
for the information everyone. I have been looking at the Regina, but nothing is available for the week I need. I went ahead and took a 2 bedroom at GM. We will hope for an ocean view, but at least we know ahead that we might not get one. Another question - how many restaurants are close by? Are they walking close or cab close? We don't want to eat at the resort all the time. We have the week following the GM at Lindo Mar, south of town. Love that place. We can't wait for October, now!!:clap:

There are the restaurants at the Mayan complex. The next closest set of restaurants would be at Paradise Village - that's a short cab ride of, if you like take long walks after dinner, probably a half hour walk. These are still "resort" style restaurants.

After that you're talking cab rides of varying lengths. The Marina district (where Club Regina is located) is on the other side of the airport, beyond that is the main Hotel District, and after that you get into the downtown area.

Or you can head north toward Bucerias.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Be sure to take a cab to the beachfront restaurants in Bucerias - the cost is about $5 each way. They are all good and reasonably priced.

I too love the ocean view and now as a GM owner I can request one in advance, but we have stayed on the other side and all units do not face the parking lot. Some overlook the golf course area. We enjoyed that side as in the afternoon it was shady - a welcome relief from a day in the sun. We also enjoyed watching the dynamics of the employees walking over to the parking garage where they also have the enployee cafeteria and laundry.

You will enjoy the resort - it is great.

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, there is an Italian Restaurant very close that you can walk to, it is called Guido's. Just walk down past the Sea Garden. They even have Pizza. Another choice is to walk to the Taco Break restaurant on the Golf Course. There are several MP restaurants within walking distance. I don't think any of them are wonderful for the prices. Be sure to go downtown and sample the amazing restaurants in PV. Our favorites are The Red Cabbage Cafe and Victor's Cafe Tecuba in the marinia. Both have wonderful food for very reasonable prices. Cafe des Artistes is a terrific splurge. In Nuevo, we also enjoy Fajita Republic. We drive there but it would be a short cab ride.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thx Linda

We go to PV every October, so we have loved the dining in El Centro and the Romantic Zone for years. We also enjoy the Red Cabbage. Yum. We planned to do our downtown dining while at Lindo Mar, but it sounds like there is not as much to offer at GM, so we may have to head downtown the first week, as well. Doesn't PV have the best variety of GREAT restaurants? We love it.

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
We were just there at spring break. We ate at Guidos it was good. We took a recommendation from the concierge at the Grand Mayan for Las Almendritos (Spelling) It was very good. Karens in Bucerias was excellent. As was El Pescatore which is on the Marina at Paradise Village near the mall. Nopalitos was decent and reasonable (It is in the mall Upstairs.) The only place we ate at in Puerto Vallarta was Cafe de Olla Which was very good.

ValDar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to second some of the restaurants previously mentioned in Nuevo Vallarta- Guidos, Fajita Republic, Los Almendritos, El Pescatore, as well as going in to Bucerias. All are close to, but outside of the Grand Mayan. No need to go in to PV all the time!

Parkplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are also restaurants along the road running into the Mayan complexs
from the main highway. (about 3 or 4 of them) Short cab ride.

Also a nice little Ma and Pa restaurant within walking distance right on the marina across the road and through a plaza from the main bus stop.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I appreciate all of the feedback. Just wish October were here. I am ready to go now!
:)

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
One other thing the pool decks are very rough unless you have very tough feet you will need sandals going between the pool, lazy river and the waterslide. It sure was fun though.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barb

You have to rent the tubes for the Lazy River - right? I read that the first 2 hours are free. Is that 2 free hours daily or for a one time use? Thanks

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
You can get them for 2 hours at a time for free. I think you can check them out more than once a day. They do not want to give them to people for the day as many would be just propped up unused. The first time we went there, they did not have tubes. We bought ours from someone that was leaving for a couple of dollars. We passed them on to someone else. You can take some in your luggage and blow them up when you get there if you want one all the time.

NJmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at the GMNV right now! We ate at Fajita Republic tonight and it was wonderful. We have a room over looking the parking structure. I tried my best to get a golf course view,but it was a no go. I think they have a new system for the tubes as they are just available at the entrances to the lazy river for free.
Pittle,
As an owner are you guaranteed an ocean view room?
If so I think I might be able to convince my DH to buy a week(resale of course).

He really likes it here. We visited the GM Riviera Maya location a couple of years ago, but like this location even better!

Looking forward to a great week.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pittle and NJ

Thanks for posting. I think the Lazy river will be fun. I am glad that you like the GMPV better than the GMRiv. It sounds wonderful. Just would prefer and ocean view...oh well....

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pittle

I see that you own alot of time in PV. Our very first TS exchange was to the Sheraton. We got a 2 bedroom in the older units right on the ocean. That is a hard one to beat. Loved it.:cheer:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
NJMom - Owning 2 GM 2-bedroom weeks made us Priorty A owners and we have a letter that guarantees our choice of rooms. When I called in to make reservations last week for our Thanksgiving vacation, the representative asked if I had any special requests and said I wanted an ocean view on upper floors. I think all GM owners are given ocean view rooms.

scitchr - we also love the Sheraton. It was my first eBay purchase. We got 2 consecutive red weeks for $1250. (That was when I discovered the world of resales.) There were 14 years left on the contract. We still have 10 to go. Last year we took the family to the Sheraton for our annual Thanksgiving vacation because of the location and also got one of the 2-bedroom oceanfront rooms. We also had 3 1-bedroom units. The group loved it. This year we are taking them to the GM in Acapulco for Thanksgiving. I was able to use my Sheraton weeks to exchange for GM units the week before and of Thanksgiving.

rbruce

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a wonderful meal, we go to a place called "Dugarel's Plays" in Bucerias. Just a short cab ride for awesome jumbo shrimp and lobster brochettes. We've been there 2 years in a row and love it. It's right on the ocean and Dugarel usually rows his boat in around 5pm with the days catch. Enjoy!

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
You have to rent the tubes for the Lazy River - right? I read that the first 2 hours are free. Is that 2 free hours daily or for a one time use? Thanks

We were there at Spring Break and when a tube was available you could get it. We were not charged for a tube and not told there was a time limit.

If you want to bring cocktails or even water down in an ice chest security will stop you. My advice is to get an insulated sport bottle. They are protecting their bar and restaurant business. Part of what all timeshares sell is how much you will save with the kitchen and they wouldnt even let me take my 12 inch cubed collapseable ice chest down by the pools. NAZI security:mad:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We stayed 2 consecutive weeks at the Grand Mayan - Nuevo Vallarta last April. We had an ocean view unit on the top floor of the middle building which was awesome. I must have taken 300 pictures from the balcony. We are not owners but exchanged through SFX. The Grand Mayan is an excellent resort, second to none. We have also stayed at the Grand Mayan - Riviera Maya. With the exception of a couple of meals, we ate at the Grand Mayan's restaurants. The El Mondo is excellent and is right in the Grand Mayan building.