• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grupo Mayan--[2009 thread--revisited Jan. 2011]

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Mike got swiped--but I did a few nights ago for the first time. But that's because I was questioning a moderator's decision, which is against posting rules. I've been a bad girl, but I'll really try to amend my ways. :)

Happy Birthday, Karen.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Regarding the 3 posts I deleted from this thread: Editorializing about how moderators should or should not do their jobs on TUG is not open for discussion. This is the 2nd time the same warning has been posted in this thread.

Honor changes entered by moderators
You may not alter, edit, or delete any edits introduced into your message by a Moderator or Administrator. This is considered a serious offense and may result in loss of posting privileges.

In addition, do not enter complaints about moderation into BBS messages. Such posts will be considered off-topic and will be removed. Any such complaints or discussion should be communicated to the bbs staff directly via email or personal message.

Stay on topic, folks.

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I'm not sure Mike got swiped--but I did a few nights ago for the first time. But that's because I was questioning a moderator's decision, which is against posting rules. I've been a bad girl, but I'll really try to amend my ways. :)

Happy Birthday, Karen.

I deleted my post - I accidentally sent it before finishing last night - couldn't see how to just remove it - too tired to edit. I am traveling back home today so might not get back to it.

I wasn't being punished. Sorry for any confusion.

Mike

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
sorry Mike..

back to the corner for me..Muranjo What could you ever come up with that would be worthy of swiping??

On topic...Travel CAN be dangerous...A good buddy of ours..great fellow ..Friendly, polite,good natured,got jumped right in the french quater with people around,( for 2 bucks in his wallet)..he now has a steel plate in his head..he is not the same..

On a trip to P.vallarta, a work ascociates purse was nabbed downtown...Her husband went after the guy...the thief turned around and split him wide open from the navel to the throat..they spent 2 weeks in a mexican hospital before they could transport him back...:eek:

lesson..ALWAYS watch your back in ANY big city and when a thief strikes..DO NOT RESIST!!..often they have a LOT more to lose (IF CAUGHT) then you...

We love mexico and these events can and DO happen all the time every where.

Last edited:

CatLovers

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
"The defenders of the Grand Mayan resorts on TUG are just owners - nothing more."

That quote is only partially accurate - some of the most contentious folks on the Mexico forum have websites where they make money renting timeshares. They have a different stake in the game IMO than a simple owner.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks, it offers an insight.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Grupo Mayan discussions--put all posts here

I am going to see if it will work to put all Grupo Mayan discussions in this sticky post. Please post to this thread any thoughts you have concerning the Grupo Mayan resort group.

The most recent posts will be on the last page.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I am going to see if it will work to put all Grupo Mayan discussions in this sticky post. Please post to this thread any thoughts you have concerning the Grupo Mayan resort group.

The most recent posts will be on the last page.

Karen,

A suggestion would be to have this thread "Grupo Mayan Sales Practices" rather than all GM subjects. I would hate to see discussions on the resorts, questions, restaurants, etc lost in the sales tactics discussions. There are lots of folks that go there that couldn't care less about sales tactics but would like general questions answered. To me, these should be in the main forum.

Mike

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Karen,

A suggestion would be to have this thread "Grupo Mayan Sales Practices" rather than all GM subjects.
I'll think about that. Often a thread will touch on both sales practices as well as the resort in general, so sometimes it may be hard to separate them. I don't have time right now to try to sort through it as I have an appointment to get to, but let's see what everyone thinks about that.

I hope others will post their thoughts and we'll see what we can come up with that will work.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If your goal is to get all the posts about the sale practices of Grupo Mayan in one place then I think you need to have a separate "sticky". Even then, there will still be people that will start new threads when they feel they have been ripped off.

Mike is quite right that the sales issues should be separate from people that just want info about the resorts, area, etc. or are posting info about them.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I'll think about that. Often a thread will touch on both sales practices as well as the resort in general, so sometimes it may be hard to separate them.

That is why I suggested that - to see if we can separate them to keep focus on what people care about.

Thanks for considering,
Mike

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Karen,

A suggestion would be to have this thread "Grupo Mayan Sales Practices" rather than all GM subjects. I would hate to see discussions on the resorts, questions, restaurants, etc lost in the sales tactics discussions. There are lots of folks that go there that couldn't care less about sales tactics but would like general questions answered. To me, these should be in the main forum.

Mike

That's what I thought too. That way questions about activities, restaurants, etc wouldn't get tangled up with the sales issues.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
back to the corner for me..Muranjo What could you ever come up with that would be worthy of swiping??

Hmmm, not sure how to take this. Obviously it was enough to be swipe-worthy, but you had to be here during the 'witching hour' to see it, as it was here and gone pretty quickly.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the comments. I've also been re-thinking the issue of having a sticky where all posts about Grupo Mayan would be posted, and I agree that it isn't really feasible to try to lump all the GM posts together. Therefore, I've "unstuck" this thread.

I do see the value of having the sticky about safety in Mexico & having all posts on that topic in one place. But, I'm not so sure that one resort group should have a sticky. There are many resorts in Mexico, and there's no compelling reason to single one out for a sticky.

With the search feature on TUG and Google, people seem to be able to find the posts concerning sales practices easily.

The whole idea of the sticky in the first place, in my mind at least, was to try to resolve the bickering, arguing, and general "pot stirring." Posts that violate TUG rules can be deleted. As always, I would appreciate problem posts being reported so that they can be dealt with more quickly.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Karen,

I agree with your conclusion - probably should change the title on this thread to avoid confusion with folks that haven't been following this thread.

With that said, we all know that the timeshare sale lies and tactics are common and similar across the industry. My guess is that Grupo Mayan has taken it way past others in sheer volume if nothing else; at one time on one day last week, in one location at one resort, I observed about 200 families in the process. I am sure very few were prepared.

When I look at the Stickies on both the Mexico and the "Buying / Selling" boards, I see nothing to help prepare people for the GM or other sales tactics. We have one on how to rescind, but not one on preparation to not have to rescind.

Many of us have been through many and can give advice on countermeasures and how to win, others on how to just say no, others to account the pain of losing. So maybe a sticky on one of those boards something like "tips for wining in timeshare discussions" or something like that.

Just a thought,
Mike

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay, Mike & others, let's try having a thread about Mexican timeshare presentations and how to avoid being taken advantage of by unscrupulous sales practices. I'll start the thread and people can contribute to it & we'll see if we end up with something that we want to make a sticky out of.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Okay, Mike & others, let's try having a thread about Mexican timeshare presentations and how to avoid being taken advantage of by unscrupulous sales practices. I'll start the thread and people can contribute to it & we'll see if we end up with something that we want to make a sticky out of.

Nice idea. I will certainly take a stab at it from my perspective on my GM experience - need to think through how best to present it though.

Mike

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After several posts, I think we've gotten a lot of good information so I've "stuck" the Mexican Timeshare Presentation Boot Camp. It now appears at the top of the Mexico forum page. Additional responses on the topic can be added at any time.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Happy Birthday, Karen.

I deleted my post - I accidentally sent it before finishing last night - couldn't see how to just remove it - too tired to edit. I am traveling back home today so might not get back to it.

I wasn't being punished. Sorry for any confusion.

Mike

Not that it matters, but just to clarify: I was responding to another post immediately before mine which suggested you had been 'swiped' (+ other content), and that previous message was soon deleted. This left my message 'orphaned' or disconnected so to speak.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Not that it matters, but just to clarify: I was responding to another post immediately before mine which suggested you had been 'swiped' (+ other content), and that previous message was soon deleted. This left my message 'orphaned' or disconnected so to speak.

I'm sorry about that - your message wasn't inappropriate, so I didn't want to delete it with the ones that were, and make it appear like yours was inappropriate. I can remove it, and the responses now, if you would like that better.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's fine to leave it, Denise. Just wanted to leave a clarification. Appreciate your response, though.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've moved four posts on this thread that pertained to the general topic of safety in Mexico to the sticky thread at the top of the Mexico forum page. Let's try to keep this thread just on the topic of Grupo Mayan and put discussions about safety of travel in Mexico in that sticky.

Thanks.
Karen G

qkitty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Travel around the world

I was told to pay Travel Around the World for the deed transfer. I waited and waited to hear from TAW. Just went to Cabo and spoke with the GM about the fact that I have not heard a word nor can I reach anyone from TAW. GM informed me that they went out of business. When was anyone going to inform me? They said that I was not the only person with this problem but did not offer any solution. I am out $1050 plus I still owe the maintenance fees for my other two timeshares that I thought I was rid of. Why is it that GM keeps working with crooks? (I too was taken by the rental scam- paid my fees to have someone rent my timeshares and never heard from them again- a company suggested by GM)

I have a number for them 866-553-2933 ext 101 General Help or
877-423-7622.

Last edited by a moderator:

qkitty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Travel around the world

I am currently working with my credit card company to see if they will compensate me for my TAW transfer fees since "service was not rendered" and I have paid my maintenance fees for another year for my other timeshare resorts. I'm all ears! Thanks for the support and advice!

I am currently in contact with TAW about transferring our t/s. I have looked at all the posts and it seems once you pay the fee and send in your original docs you are still on the hook for the fees. Does this mean you can still use the weeks? And without original docs does this complicate things?

I am hesitant to send any of the forms back. One in particular relates to SFX having exclusive rights to the weeks and we have to reimburse them if they are assigned elsewhere. Our t/s only uses RCI and they have very specific requirements for transferring ownership.

BTW, the txfr fee is $545 and they will let me keep it for $700! Is this another shakedown? I am thinking on sitting on all of this.

Please advise.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am currently in contact with TAW about transferring our t/s. I have looked at all the posts and it seems once you pay the fee and send in your original docs you are still on the hook for the fees.
I don't know anything about TAW but someone posted above that they were told that TAW was out of business. Don't send them or anyone else any money upfront for selling or renting your timeshares. Most outfits that request fees upfront are scams, as you have probably guessed by now.

qkitty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Karen G. I will wait to see if they ever contact me again. In the meantime, I am going to contact my TS and ask about Travel Around the World...and I am going to officially join TUGS. It has been an awesome resource for us and I suspect in the future as well!!