• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How is safety in Cabo & other tips

FunnyFarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point @ Poipu, Lawai Beach Resort, MROP/VRI, Worldmark
How is the safety in Cabo. Staying at Worldmark Coral Baja in San Jose. Is the bus reliable? Is there groceries nearby? Any tips on transportation to the resort? How is the internet?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When are you thinking of going? Best time is December to April. We have stayed there many times. It is one of our favorites. We always get a rental car. Internet is just OK. Best in the Lobby area. 2 big grocery stores about 3/4 mile. Like super walmarts. We have never felt unsafe. Downtown San Jose del Cabo is about 3 miles away. When we stay at Coral Baja we drive downtown. When we stay at Cabo Azul we walk downtown. There is an Art Walk on Thursday Night. Crafts/lesser quality Art in the Plaza. Better Art on Alvaro Obregon. Beaches are non swimming. Lots of activities. They will pick you up and return you to the resort. Swim with the Dolphins in the San Jose del Cabo Harbour. Our favorite Taco plus restaurant is Mariscos El Chino. They have lots of different food but we just have the Tacos. French Riviera Bakery for Breakfast. Good seafood at Mariscos El Toro Guero. Do not get a room in the back building. Road noise and walk to pool. We prefer ground floor main building. Walk out and fall in pool. If you get a regular 1 bedroom the only access to bathroom is through bedroom. If you get 1 bedroom delux there is entrance to bathroom from main area. We normally get a 2 bedroom. It has 2 bathrooms. Many of the cheap tourist jewelry stores sale fake Fire Opals. There are high quality jewelry stores.

If you are not getting a rental car try and set up transportation in advance. After you clear customs you have to go through 2 rooms where people will try and pretend they are from Worldmark. Or from the Taxi Service you arranged. They are not. People will try and get you to go to timeshare sale pitches. Worse Taxi deals and car rentals. We just walk through and not talk to anyone in these rooms. If you have set up transportation they will waiting outside the building normally holding up a sign with your name.

Hope this helps.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We like the Coral Baja but the parking area near building 3 isn't secure. Our rental car was vandalized at the mid section of building 3 on one of our visits. I think they were trying to break in to the car. My suggestion is to park in the office parking lot if you have a rental car because the front desk is open 24 hours.

Uber is available. Uber can pick you up right outside the airport which is about 4 blocks at the mini market. Uber can drop you off at the airport. About a half mile north are two grocery stores. I know nothing of the bus other than it exists. Internet is pretty good. I can stream my firestick and play games on my phone.

Bill

FunnyFarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point @ Poipu, Lawai Beach Resort, MROP/VRI, Worldmark
I am going in mid-March. Hoping for warm weather.
How much is Uber to town? I remember the taxis were expensive.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from a week at Grand Solmar Lands End. Used Uber there for the first time, no problem.
Never once even thought about safety.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

SJD airport is tricky in that all of the arrival area is for private taxi , shuttles and busses. To get picked up by private vehicle a person needs to take the escalator up to the departure level which is the higher level or meet out in the pay parking lot. To get picked up by Uber a person need to walk about two blocks to the mini market. You can google map it to see. Uber can drop you off at the departure gate. Regarding the trip to Cabo, the Uber range is $45 - $60. You can use the app to see the options. You can also agree to pay the tolls if you want to use the toll road at about $5.

Bill

Shiba

TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented a car and drove all over. Felt very comfortable driving. We grocery-shopped at La Comer; it's a clean Walmart-sized store. We had to buy grocery bags as they were not free. According to Google Maps, it looks like it's 1.1 km from the Coral Baja.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't Uber from airport.
Shuttles can easily be booked online.
I sometimes rent a car (in town) for only a couple days.
Speaking of SJD -- most hazardous location in all of Cabo.
All humans in the exit area must be avoided -- ignored.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
In addition to the airport, watch out at La Comer. An elderly Canadian woman approached me in the aisle and attempted to get us to sign up for a timeshare presentation. She started with. "Are you from Cabo Azul? Looking for something in the aisle? Maybe I can help direct you." At first I thought she was being helpful but then she pitched me. Took a while to get rid of her after she followed me around. She said she goes on Saturday because so many TS peeps visit La Comer to buy groceries after they check in.

We walk all around Cabo and San Jose del Cabo during day and early evening. Never felt unsafe.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you do not mind losing a 1/2 day we have collected hundreds of Dollars (it was $400 or $500 US) to attend a Mayan Sales Presentation. We also negociated the Exchange Rate and got paid in Pesos, which funded a large part of our 3 week vacation. This was at the little palapa on the main side street from El Comer. Just remember to say No at the end.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you do not mind losing a 1/2 day we have collected hundreds of Dollars (it was $400 or $500 US) to attend a Mayan Sales Presentation. We also negociated the Exchange Rate and got paid in Pesos, which funded a large part of our 3 week vacation. This was at the little palapa on the main side street from El Comer. Just remember to say No at the end.

At the Budget Car rental in Cabo we were approached by a solicitor for Dreams offering $400 usd off our car rental to attend a presentation the next morning at 9 am. We said ok and the presentation was easy and included breakfast. They did take the $400 off our bill when we returned the car. I think doing the early morning presentations are quicker because there might be a second group coming in.

Bill