• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I got rid of mine.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think a good comparison would be those that buy a penny stock in an up and coming company, or even a classic car, sure you don't want to put the miles on the car and reduce its value or sell the stock before it appreciates, but you still want to own it for when it does have value

Thats my thoughts on owning a TS you can't use, sure it has no value now, but your gambling that when that TS sells the land and distributes the proceeds to the owners, you will get more money back then you put in, without use or MF's you are putting significantly less money into it and have a higher chance at a profit when they do sell then the other owners

Ohhh....so it's an investment? How did I miss that? :hysterical:

Newbies - please be warned that Ride is making us baloney sandwiches for lunch today. ;)

sandwich.jpg

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Ride is on the money. With no MFs you can't lose and they can.t sell w/o you.

Really - and how am I going to force them to recognize me as the owner?

Oh yeah, I'm going to hire an attorney to fight for a $1 timeshare.

What a great plan! :D

wawacito

Reaction score
asnooper - any word back from the resort - still waiting for an all clear

asnooper

Reaction score
asnooper - any word back from the resort - still waiting for an all clear
Yep. Just today I got the letter from Wyndham! "We are pleased to advise you that the transfer of ownership for the above-referenced contract number is now complete>"

So for the skeptics, I may have been a risk-taker and a little crazy, but I no longer have the timeshare. Yes, I would like to have sold it, or even given it away to a Tugger, or anyone else, but it just wasn't working out that way.

I know some people think I started this thread as a plug for Timesharerefuge and/or Sumday, but that isn't the case either. I feel like I had a positive experience with them, and the Tugger community needs to know that. Had it been unpleasant, trust me, I would have posted that as well. It seems people are always quick to let let the world know about bad experiences, but slow to report when things go as promised. I can only say that they were up-front about everything, including the cost. I agreed to abide by that, and they did everything they said they would do.

I was the person mentioned in the Reuter's article, and although there are a couple of errors in the details, it could help make a lot of people aware of TUG. That certainly can't hurt.

My TUG account will be expiring soon, and I probably won't renew it although I think it's a great tool for people who have any interest in buying/selling/renting. I wish it had been around when I got mine, or at least I wish I had had some idea of the secondary market.

If anyone wants more details about my experience, I can email a timeline attachment and answer other questions. Email me directly at bobyarb@gmail.com.

And finally, I know at least one Tugger thought maybe my user ID was an indication that I was just hanging around to snoop. But that ID came from a beloved Bassett Hound by the name of Snooper that I loved for 14 years. Whenever I log in using that ID, it brings back happy memories a good friend.

This is likely my last post, so happy tugging. I hope maybe someone else will benefit from the info I have posted and the discussions it has generated.

vail2468

Reaction score
Quote from Denise:

"Here is a question for you - you posted that you own a "horrible week that no one would want." This begs the question - WHY did you buy such a timeshare?"

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to put a quote in the pretty box!! :)

Denise, I know a lot of timeshare owners (myself included) who bought their weeks many years ago when exchanges were better, our units were new or newer, and maintenance fees were (in our case) less than 1/2 what they are today. While we anticipated the units getting older of course, we didn't anticipate the other problems.

That "horrible week that no one would want" may have been a very attractive week when it was first purchased. A week with maintenance fees of $600 and good trade opportunities can become a "horrible week that no one would want" 10 to 20 years later with maintenance fees of $1,300 and worsening exchange options.

We were happy with our Marriott week for many years. Only recently have the maintenance fees gotten out of hand and the future exchange potential come into question.

Thanks,

Derald

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quote from Denise:

"Here is a question for you - you posted that you own a "horrible week that no one would want." This begs the question - WHY did you buy such a timeshare?"

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to put a quote in the pretty box!! :)

Denise, I know a lot of timeshare owners (myself included) who bought their weeks many years ago when exchanges were better, our units were new or newer, and maintenance fees were (in our case) less than 1/2 what they are today. While we anticipated the units getting older of course, we didn't anticipate the other problems.

That "horrible week that no one would want" may have been a very attractive week when it was first purchased. A week with maintenance fees of $600 and good trade opportunities can become a "horrible week that no one would want" 10 to 20 years later with maintenance fees of $1,300 and worsening exchange options.

We were happy with our Marriott week for many years. Only recently have the maintenance fees gotten out of hand and the future exchange potential come into question.

Thanks,

Derald

Not to mention, asking a backward-looking question like "why did you buy it in the first place" serves no constructive purpose to the person looking to get rid of it.

P.S. Just click the "Quote" box at the lower right hand corner of whoever's post you are intending to quote.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to the OP. His journey should be an inspiration to those who want out of a Week that for one reason or another no longer suits their needs. What the OP proved is that there is no one way to get the job done. All you can do is be persistant and explore all options. You never know what might work in any particular case.

George

dvcbwv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV
DVC BLT
DVC GCV
DVC OKW
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC Bay Club
Wyndham Grand Desert
...but there's always room for one more.
DeniseM's situation was the resort not willing to recognize a new owner because the old owner is indebted to them.

Are there any known examples of a resort or system refusing to transfer ownership because there is something wrong with that new owner? I think that is what's being debated here.

The resort is just telling her she bought the property "subject to" the current liens. This is absolutely legal. You can buy the deed to an actual HOUSE here in Florida for just pennies on the dollar and if you don't do your due diligence, you just bought an encumbered "asset"... Do your homework!

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
The resort is just telling her she bought the property "subject to" the current liens. This is absolutely legal. You can buy the deed to an actual HOUSE here in Florida for just pennies on the dollar and if you don't do your due diligence, you just bought an encumbered "asset"... Do your homework!

You do still own that asset though...

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really - and how am I going to force them to recognize me as the owner?

Oh yeah, I'm going to hire an attorney to fight for a $1 timeshare.

What a great plan! :D

Why do you need an attorney? Why do you need them to recognize anything? The deed has already determined you as the owner....You now own a TS with no MF's...Sure, you get no use either, but when the TS Does eventually 'cash out' you are one of the owners that profits

Just like holding stock

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ohhh....so it's an investment? How did I miss that? :hysterical:

Yup, obviously if your paying thousands a year in MF's there is no profit in it, only a downside....BUT, if you don't pay those MF's, and are still the deeded owner(because the resort refused you membership to the 'club')you initial investment will be low and you could profit in the long term...thereby making it an investment

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I sold a Wyndham Royal Vista contract in fall of 2012. I was paid $1000 for a 203,000 points. I took me about 6 months to sell from ads in the Tug marketplace. If she wrote a good ad and was patient, she could have sold Royal Vista, I think.

benyu2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Wyndham contract of any resort too hard to sell? I see some goes for free and others sold for hundreds or thousands of dollars based on its MF average...