• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is 2019 the 'Year of the Timeshare'? [Marriott/Vistana/Hyatt in the DC speculation]

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Yeah it would blow my mind. I’d only give away free vacations to family. Or invited friends I’m traveling with, I wouldn’t charge them anything naturally. But If I can’t use a week and am not banking it, my friends can cover the maint fee that year and go. Gee, I guess I’m a bad friend for not paying 1,500 bucks and giving the week away for free lol.

My intent wasn't to say you're a bad friend, and I think you know that.

Dean's points about what the rules say and how some people stretch them aren't his alone. Ideally we all manage our ownerships so that we don't end up losing any usage - but on the rare occasions when it's in danger of happening, breaking the rules isn't the only option.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Not passive aggressive at all, and I’m sorry you felt that way. If their rules are no rentals then they shouldn’t charge to change the name of the reservation. That is not ethical, what’s next? Adding booking fee to book a reservation using our points? (Not passive aggressive) so if I’m Giving away usage to my friends (free to them) after I book a week with my points, then I have to pay a fee to change the name on the reservation. Why is that? That’s not ethical on their part, since I’m not renting the unit and am just giving it away.

That's one of the reasons why I like Marriott - they don't charge a transaction fee to put a guest's name on an owner's reservation. :)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not passive aggressive at all, and I’m sorry you felt that way. If their rules are no rentals then they shouldn’t charge to change the name of the reservation. That is not ethical, what’s next? Adding booking fee to book a reservation using our points? (Not passive aggressive) so if I’m Giving away usage to my friends (free to them) after I book a week with my points, then I have to pay a fee to change the name on the reservation. Why is that? That’s not ethical on their part, since I’m not renting the unit and am just giving it away.
I disagree, if it's against their rules AND YOU KNOW IT and they don't waive the rules, it's inappropriate to do it as a rental, not mater if below market rates. You're only giving it if you give it if you charge them the fees. I'd agree if they only pay direct and immediate costs, like the exchange fee, it's reasonable but not the main fees.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
My intent wasn't to say you're a bad friend, and I think you know that.

Dean's points about what the rules say and how some people stretch them aren't his alone. Ideally we all manage our ownerships so that we don't end up losing any usage - but on the rare occasions when it happens, breaking the rules isn't the only option.
I know you didn’t mean that. I was totally making a joke lol. I’m still bad at the emoticon thing and usually add an lol heh.
Trust me I totally get it. I’ve been victim of the rental thing when trying to rent out my home resort period which is within the rules but since my maint fee was so high at that resort I needed to set the rental at Maintfee price while we were all undercut by people with many points charging much less. The point I’m trying to make is, it’s one thing to do that and make money and another to just cover your bases when you can’t use your ownership. Travel changes, this year I’m using two weeks, next year I have 3 Europe trips planned outside the scope of my VOI usage. I plan on renting those to people to pay the maint fee for at least one week. I don’t see that as an issue. Had people buy. Multiple VOI,s to rent out year after year just for making money then that I don’t agree with. I bought mine with the intent to use them. On occasion I let people benefit from paying a low fee (maint fee) and go on vacation. Win win for all. These rules they put into place aren’t for the benefit of the owner, which is why Vistana added a 59 dollar charge to change the name. They are making plenty of money, which is why they do nothing about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if MVC opens a rental program with inventory booked in the future.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I disagree, if it's against their rules AND YOU KNOW IT and they don't waive the rules, it's inappropriate to do it as a rental, not mater if below market rates. You're only giving it if you give it if you charge them the fees. I'd agree if they only pay direct and immediate costs, like the exchange fee, it's reasonable but not the main fees.

Well here we are. I don’t rent. I give reservations to people I know.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well here we are. I don’t rent. I give reservations to people I know.
As long as it's a true gift then you're OK. Otherwise you're not no matter the wording.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
We just got back from HHI Grande Ocean with eleven 2 BR units for a week on our dime and I've given a number of people, friends and just acquaintances, free reservations. One I felt so bad about because they did the timeshare tour and bought resale. I hadn't warned them but I was able to let them know their options retail while in the cancelation timeframe and they decide not to cancel. Their choice, not my decision.

Ditto. We've given away points stays to family, and friends, and even co-workers in situations where we would be unable to otherwise use them. While no monetary value was gained, we did have the satisfaction of seeing the points enjoyed by someone as opposed to literally having money in MFs go down the drain.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not necessarily a problem, it depends, but it is a rental plain and simple. As I noted, it's often expensive to be honest.
Having friends use your timeshare and paying your maintenance fees is not a “commercial” business. I disagree with your description of what is or is not allowed.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having friends use your timeshare and paying your maintenance fees is not a “commercial” business. I disagree with your description of what is or is not allowed.
Commercial business and being a rental are different things. Anything over them paying for the additional expenses for the costs to change it to their name is a rental 100% of the time, there is no way to define otherwise.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
I know you didn’t mean that. I was totally making a joke lol. I’m still bad at the emoticon thing and usually add an lol heh.
Trust me I totally get it. I’ve been victim of the rental thing when trying to rent out my home resort period which is within the rules but since my maint fee was so high at that resort I needed to set the rental at Maintfee price while we were all undercut by people with many points charging much less. The point I’m trying to make is, it’s one thing to do that and make money and another to just cover your bases when you can’t use your ownership. Travel changes, this year I’m using two weeks, next year I have 3 Europe trips planned outside the scope of my VOI usage. I plan on renting those to people to pay the maint fee for at least one week. I don’t see that as an issue. Had people buy. Multiple VOI,s to rent out year after year just for making money then that I don’t agree with. I bought mine with the intent to use them. On occasion I let people benefit from paying a low fee (maint fee) and go on vacation. Win win for all. These rules they put into place aren’t for the benefit of the owner, which is why Vistana added a 59 dollar charge to change the name. They are making plenty of money, which is why they do nothing about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if MVC opens a rental program with inventory booked in the future.
I really don’t see it as an issue either. Luckily the two companies I own with allow rentals. If not, I honestly don’t know what I’d do. I probably would own so many points. But it isn’t a big deal to me that you are covering your fees. That’s all I try to do.

I remember reading something here in the past week or so and I think it was with Marriott about if I have multiple weeks reserved At the same resort for the same week that only the unit then I am occupying should have my name on it. If this is correct it is news to me. But I don’t feel bad that I was in violation of that rule if I was.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I really don’t see it as an issue either. Luckily the two companies I own with allow rentals. If not, I honestly don’t know what I’d do. I probably would own so many points. But it isn’t a big deal to me that you are covering your fees. That’s all I try to do.

I remember reading something here in the past week or so and I think it was with Marriott about if I have multiple weeks reserved At the same resort for the same week that only the unit then I am occupying should have my name on it. If this is correct it is news to me. But I don’t feel bad that I was in violation of that rule if I was.
So if you had multiple weeks at the same resort your occupying with you going you’re all set. Rent the other 4 lol.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

It varies with the resort but they don't give you nights for more than one unit for the week normally. Some companies, like Wyndham, get very aggressive in this area. For example Wyndham's rules say if you have multiple weeks in your name and you don't change the rest they will cancel all but one and they may charge to change the name in some cases. If they are exchanges they will technically request guest certificates for the other weeks as does Marriott. Actually II's rules say if you let someone else use it and don't get a guest certificate you are in violation and your membership could be canceled.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It varies with the resort but they don't give you nights for more than one unit for the week normally. Some companies, like Wyndham, get very aggressive in this area. For example Wyndham's rules say if you have multiple weeks in your name and you don't change the rest they will cancel all but one and they may charge to change the name in some cases. If they are exchanges they will technically request guest certificates for the other weeks as does Marriott. Actually II's rules say if you let someone else use it and don't get a guest certificate you are in violation and your membership could be canceled.
Wait, so multiple weeks? Or do you mean multiple rooms on the same week? Multiple weeks tells me you can book more than one trip at a time?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait, so multiple weeks? Or do you mean multiple rooms on the same week? Multiple weeks tells me you can book more than one trip at a time?
Multiple week exchanges or reservations that are the same time or overlap.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Multiple week exchanges or reservations that are the same time or overlap.

Ok, makes sense. I’d think they wouldn’t make you change it right away. I book multiple rooms in a given week or overlap at the same resort if traveling with big group. I guess same week under my name at different locations is a different story.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, makes sense. I’d think they wouldn’t make you change it right away. I book multiple rooms in a given week or overlap at the same resort if traveling with big group. I guess same week under my name at different locations is a different story.
No and I don't know if they follow through on their threats. For our 11 units 2 weeks ago at Grande ocean, my name and/or Kim's name stayed on each of them and also our CC. They simply added the other names so they'd know who was where. But I was the one paying for it and I was the one actually doing the check in.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem is that "commercial activity" is not defined in any of the documents by Vistana or MVC.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem is that "commercial activity" is not defined in any of the documents by Vistana or MVC.
I can't speak for Vistana but for MVC and DVC they expressly allow renting and they have bans on commercial renting. DVC has drawn a line in the sand of 20 reservations in a running year before they look at it or a website. I don't see how the amount of profit could be used because they have not way of knowing the amount even if they wanted to. But the issue I was referencing earlier is clear cut. If renting is specifically banned and you rent (for any amount), you're in violation. RCI will allow you to recoup direct expenses of exchange fee and guest cert fee but even this is not in writing, II won't even allow that. It all comes back to what the rules are and what they allow and if they want to waive their rules, their choice but not ours. And a "I'll let my uncle ;) use it and he'll pay for my house payment" doesn't alter that.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ok, enough with the rental discussion. We know where you all stand by now and any additional posts, unless you have new info to add, is superfluous. Sorry, but this is getting out of hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Received this one sheeter listing all of the ILG resorts, locations, and # of units at each... during my recent "owners update" at Grande Ocean. Figured it was a good resource for the MVC folks (like me) who may not know all of the ILG resorts. They did not attempt to pontificate on how cross usage of the resorts will be accomplished, only offered that MVC leadership is working on it, and they are hopeful there will be some cross pollination announced in 2020. When I asked for her opinion of how it will be done, my rep indicated she figured it would be done via the MVC DC Exchange Company, and they will offer enrollment for a fee to ILG owners. Again, this was just her educated guess. Here is the attachment....

Attachments

• ILG Resorts.pdf
    851 KB · Views: 75

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Received this one sheeter listing all of the ILG resorts, locations, and # of units at each... during my recent "owners update" at Grande Ocean. Figured it was a good resource for the MVC folks (like me) who may not know all of the ILG resorts. They did not attempt to pontificate on how cross usage of the resorts will be accomplished, only offered that MVC leadership is working on it, and they are hopeful there will be some cross pollination announced in 2020. When I asked for her opinion of how it will be done, my rep indicated she figured it would be done via the MVC DC Exchange Company, and they will offer enrollment for a fee to ILG owners. Again, this was just her educated guess. Here is the attachment....

Funny how they use a 3 year old info sheet...you'd think they would come up with something more recent as Nanea and Cabo are no longer under construction.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Funny how they use a 3 year old info sheet...you'd think they would come up with something more recent as Nanea and Cabo are no longer under construction.
I think it just goes to show that the sales folks don’t know any more than we do on this topic, and are not being provided with any tangible info or documents on how the future may look, so they try to put their hands on whatever they can to make prospective customers feel that the future is bright with all the new resorts that will be coming online soon.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Additionally, the St. Regis Residence Club properties are not bookable through Vistana ownership.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it just goes to show that the sales folks don’t know any more than we do on this topic, and are not being provided with any tangible info or documents on how the future may look, so they try to put their hands on whatever they can to make prospective customers feel that the future is bright with all the new resorts that will be coming online soon.
IMO it's usual that they know less than we do about the product itself and often FAR less. Obviously there is info they will have that we don't, esp related to sales, but I suspect the average salesperson learns more from an educated person during a sales presentation than the member does.