• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Venting...want opinion from owners who rent

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If done properly, the blacklist should be the other way around. The unhappy renter should blacklist the owner. It is like any business, if you want it, then you pay for it. Since returns are impossible so are refunds. If it didn't meet expectations then don't rent it again. I personally don't understand blacklisting a customer, but I understand the emotional aspect.

My father taught me years and years ago that there are enough nice people in the world that you don't need to deal with the nasty ones.

There even a rule. The 80-20 rule. 80% of your problems are caused by 20% of your customers. Any businessman worth his salt wants to minimize problems and one way to do it is to drop that problem 20%

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Small world...

I have to add that there is one commercial entity that I find very annoying and pushy, who sometimes contacts me to rent my timeshares. I set up my email acct., so his emails go straight into the trash, and I don't answer or respond to his phone calls. But in this case, it's more of his pushy, overbearing personality, then his low-ball offers that offend me.

Yes - I have told him directly that I don't want to do business with him, but that doesn't seem to deter him... :rolleyes:

Denise, I know that you are both too polite and too diplomatic to openly identify this bothersome individual (..and it's neither necessary nor requested that you do so), but your description sounds remarkably like a fellow I had the misfortune to hear from once (...and hopefully only once) on a rare occasion when I placed a rental ad. He was located in California somewhere, if I recall correctly. First name initial "P", last name that of an "environmentally friendly, grassy" color.

Same guy, by any chance? :shrug:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Oh yes! REALLY obnoxious! :D

"While we are wasting time talking, someone else is renting their timeshare, you need to move on this immediately!"

sleazy-salesman1.jpg

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
one note to mention, I will suggest that folks always always check their spam folders on a regular basis for legitimate emails.

tug membership/renewal info
ad message notifications
etc etc...all REGULARLY end up in spam folders for some folks...we get complaints every week about how someone "never got the email"...then located it in the spam folder when it was resent.

pretty much every craigslist response I get (both real and spam) goes into my spam folder as well.

The system for identifying spam these days really is quite terrible, if you see how much totally obvious spam makes it into my inbox...vs what gets intercepted as spam. We literally had to turn off the spam filter on tug@tug2.net because legitimate emails were not going to the inbox...so now I get to wade thru countless thousands of spam messages every day...yippie =)

lilpooh108

Reaction score
The hagglers are the ones that complain about everything after the rental is over. They want compensation from her because the view was not what they wanted, for example. The people who just pay the advertised rate are far easier to deal with in the long run.

Yup, exactly why I don't bother haggling. I price it very reasonably, and at a far lower price than what a renter would get from the resort. If they're arguing with me over "small money", what would happen if something goes wrong and we argue over "big money"? Bad things, that's what. I avoid the unpleasantries if I can see them coming from a mile away.

Ron---totally agree about the 80/20 rule, and not wasting time with nasty people. Those people are energy suckers. I just don't have the time or the energy.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have my unit priced high, mainly because there is virutually no other units listed for rent the same week.

Think Major US Week-long Holiday,
Think Hawaii
Think Large unit.

If there is virtually no competion, I am just trying to see what I can get. It is after all a supply and demand world.

robertk1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been on both sides of the fence on this issue, both as a renter and rentor <sic>.

As an owner who rents out his timeshare weeks, I always considered an offer and my decision to accept/reject or counter was based upon what I felt I could get later if I held it for a while longer. An offer of $10 a day today, or hold it and try for $100 a day next month during prime season? I am holding. An offer of $50 a day for next week's date? I'm accepting.

On the other side of the coin, we eliminated all timeshare ownership last year and I am now a renter. I will attempt to negotiate a better price if I think they are too high or if we are nearing the reservation date. I always try to explain to the owner that if they think they can get a better price they should try, but I have cash today, what is their choice? I also will usually agree to wait while they try for a better price for a week or three.

Last January we negotiated 2 rooms at a very popular water park (they fill up even in January!) for 2 nites. I paid roughly the maintenance costs for 4/7ths of a week, and both the owner and I walked away happy.

Our next rental, I am going to call the same guy and see what's available!

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not yet rented any timeshares, but in my dealings with people, both buying and selling, I know what I am comfortable paying for something or selling/renting something for. My philosophy is if the item is just outside my set amount, it can't hurt to ask. I always try to be polite, I know that on the other end of the deal is a person with a set price in their mind, too, based on whatever factors relate to it. Sometimes I find things I don't ask for a lower price. I have dealt with people amicably on both sides of the deal coin in this fashion. There are also those who are rude, lowball, etc. that I try not to deal with. I treat people with respect, even in an email or phone conversation, and expect the same.

thegeers

Reaction score
renting

As a renter only. I always try and haggle. I want to get the most from my money as possible. Do I get offended when my offer is rejected? No, as I also hope that the owner is not offended by my low offer. We often meet in the middle.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have my unit priced high, mainly because there is virutually no other units listed for rent the same week.

Think Major US Week-long Holiday,
Think Hawaii
Think Large unit.

If there is virtually no competion, I am just trying to see what I can get. It is after all a supply and demand world.

I don't consider that priced high. "High" is relative. High to me is a price higher than a renter can readily get it elsewhere. High is pricing at $2,500 when three of the same are on Redweek for $1,250. As long as you are still fairly low compared to hotel style, it is priced right.

pentiumii1

Reaction score
A renters perspective

I realize that most of you posters are not what I am going to describe so don't take it personally. We always try to help keep a unit from going to waste and this information has probably improved how I will handle it in the future.

My typical owner is someone that purchased their unit at retail. That means they not only believed they were getting a great deal, but that they could rent the unit for $20k a week if they didn't want to use it. I never try to educate these people or make them feel as though they are unrealistic, I just leave an offer on the table and they can decide if it is better than nothing while I continue to look around. Fortunately, we are typically very flexible about where we can go and have very few fixed parameters.

So this is just my opinion for those of you who do this for a business and have a plan that is working for you. Just simply tell me that is your situation. I can respect that and it will definitely cut through the grit and allow us to quickly see if we are even in the ballpark. I can't even begin to describe the owners that have no rental agreement, no real idea what they have to get for rent to be happy, and in a lot of cases don't know the next step for dealing with the timeshare. We have rented many timeshare weeks and I can't even remember ever having a problem or contacting an owner about an issue or problem. We have never caused an owner any pain unless you consider our price point as painful. But I don't have a gun to their head.

I'm just trying to point out that a huge percentage of owners are not as sophisticated as you folks. Just think about how many people show remorse that they didn't find this site before they bought retail. Just my 2 cents. We get to travel more if we can reduce the costs. It is nothing personal and it isn't a game, and it isn't even business. It is simply getting to go somewhere nicer than we might have found with our starwood points.

PS, we love you owners.

scobrn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Supply and Demand

I'm finding that the supply is much greater than the demand. I had a week in Cabo that I couldn't use and put it up for bid on Ebay a week before departure. I went for a whopping $99 even though the MF was over $500. I'd rather get that then nothing. Also, I have rented numerous timeshares through companies like RCI and SFX for next to nothing. For instance, I got a beautiful new studio at Grand Solmar in Cabo for $69 from SFX. I also have had great luck with RCI for last call and extra vacations. I got a 2BR in London for a week for a few hundred dollars that would have gone for a few thousand if it were a hotel. It's all supply and demand and it goes two ways. The market sets the price. I see cheap rentals all the time everywhere and wouldn't pay anywhere the maintenance fee cost unless it was somewhere that I had to go to.

MLR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Low rental offers and such

:shrug:I have read this thread with interest.

I have not been with TUG very long. And, yes, I have looked through the rental ads myself and have even rented a week from a fellow Tugger for January in Mexico. Yes, I check back from time to time to see if there's anything that might work for us.

We enjoy staying in a nice timeshare. We would rent one if possible - if the price were right. But with that said, we have a vacation budget and it isn't large. Would I pay the rental prices most Tuggers ask for their weeks - even in Hawaii? NO! I think the prices on most of the rental ads on TUG are Very High. Sorry, just my personal opinion. You may or may not agree.

There are other options out there for some of us who actually like to travel but who don't have deep pockets. IF/WHEN we get back to Hawaii, we will use our timeshare week and then possibly use airbnb for a week or two.

Would I pay some of you $1500 and UP for a week in Hawaii in off season? NO, absolutely not. How about $3000 for week in High Season? You must be nuts!

I can get a nice hotel with free breakfast for much less than that. Realistically, our budget can't handle renting on Maui from a Tugger :0(. That isn't your fault, of course - but, we also do not NEED an apt. in Hawaii - we spend nearly all our time outdoors. So, although one of your condo's on the beach would be nice, it is NOT necessary for us. But everyone has different needs. And, yes, I enjoy the beach as much as anyone.

Do I haggle with people? Sure! Sometimes. Actually, often - but not always. Am I a TROUBLE MAKER because I make someone a lower offer? NO. We have never caused anyone any trouble or damaged anyone's property EVER and most would be happy they had a couple as nice as us in their unit - they wouldn't even have to clean it after we left!

Branding hagglers as trouble makers - What an absurd assumption!

To me - to own a timeshare that most, if not ALL of us would have a hard time SELLING and then turn around and ask HIGH rental prices just because we can - well, go figure, is all I can say. I would have been HAPPY to rent my week in Hawaii for my maintenance fees or a smidge more. Never tried that. Good thing we found TUG and found RCI so we can USE our timeshare to it's full potential.

Just saying that when I peruse the rentals I am AMAZED at the rental prices. Maybe I am from a different planet. JUST MY TWO CENTS.

Just one question: Do most of you GET your ASKING price? Just wondering. Maybe I AM from a different planet.
:shrug:

lilpooh108

Reaction score
As a renter only. I always try and haggle. I want to get the most from my money as possible. Do I get offended when my offer is rejected? No, as I also hope that the owner is not offended by my low offer. We often meet in the middle.

There is a very "set" market for what I own, and it's fairly obvious when someone gives me a lowball offer. I guess I consider those a waste of time since the market is so defined.

Just simply tell me that is your situation.
Not trying to start a fight, but I find this condescending. I don't have a situation. I price my unit at market. I have a regular rental agreement I use. Either you like what I have, or you don't. I would not feel the need to justify my pricing to you except to say that it's market rates and it's reasonable. If we can't agree initially, then we don't have a deal.

My price is the same regardless of whether its an unit from my retail contract or my resale contracts. FWIW, my 1st TS was resale so my retail contract was intentional (and a relative bargain compared to today's resale prices).

It's interesting that you know how your owner obtained the TS property. I've never had anyone ask.

Despite me disagreeing with you, I find this conversation pretty interesting as a hypothetical.

Last edited:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority, but I actually avoid potential renters who start off by haggling. My philosophy is that if they are problematic now, they will be problematic later. :rolleyes: It might take me a while longer to rent the unit out, but I don't rent as a business so maybe just once or twice a year.

That's interesting as this is my philosophy too! I dislike haggling in general (new car shopping comes to mind, but that's another thread:rolleyes:). If I sense the renter is going to be a problem, or their offer is too low, I send a diplomatic but firm "no thank you, wish you best of luck finding your rental" reply. I price my weeks reasonably and always get my asking price. Keep in mind that I only rent occasional weeks that we can't use, and my goal is to make the effort worth my while (aka - profitable:D) without scaring away potential renters. I'm not offended by low offers, but just consider them the down side to renting a few weeks.

gaile

TUG Member
Reaction score
rental to friends

I do not rent as a business. But I have considered renting to family members or friends. How do you handle those rentals?
I have a certain friend who wants me to subsidize her vacations by joining me on mine and then offering not enough to offset the cost of the exchange. I have no problem with giving a week away to a friend or family member when appropriate but this friend seems to want to beat me down so that I am basically providing her a room for practically free in exchange for her company. She works for the airlines so her airfare is free, mine unfortunately is not.
How do you handle costs of rental to family or friends? I have asked for payment of the exchange fee, I have been told this is too much-for a two bedroom for a week!

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
So far I have had no low offers on my timeshare weeks. I think mostly because they are prime weeks that I price slightly below market. I always want to be the lowest price on Redweek for that week so that it is the next one to rent.

I have 2 non-timeshare vacation properties that I rent also. One never gets low offers and the other gets low offers on about a third of the inquiries. More people want to bargain in Florida. Most are rented by email inquiries. I've learned that if you get a phone call, it is from someone who wants to negotiate the price 99% of the time so I just don't return the calls anymore. A friend of mine bought a vacation home a few months ago and she has experienced the same thing: serious renters will rent with email inquiries and phone calls are from people looking for a steal. She has stopped returning the calls also.

lilpooh108

Reaction score
I do not rent as a business. But I have considered renting to family members or friends. How do you handle those rentals?
I have a certain friend who wants me to subsidize her vacations by joining me on mine and then offering not enough to offset the cost of the exchange. I have no problem with giving a week away to a friend or family member when appropriate but this friend seems to want to beat me down so that I am basically providing her a room for practically free in exchange for her company. She works for the airlines so her airfare is free, mine unfortunately is not.
How do you handle costs of rental to family or friends? I have asked for payment of the exchange fee, I have been told this is too much-for a two bedroom for a week!

Wow, I would just say no.

Or will she use her discounts for shared expenses? Like a rental car? Other things? :confused: If she says no, why can't you say no? Stop being so nice :rofl:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
... I have a certain friend who wants me to subsidize her vacations by joining me on mine and then offering not enough to offset the cost of the exchange... .this friend seems to want to beat me down so that I am basically providing her a room for practically free in exchange for her company. ...!

Moochers will never get it ... she needs to find a NEW FRIEND who will be happy to pay her travel expenses for "benefits".

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Which oceanfront hotel on Maui or Kauai do people get for less than $200-300 per day? Oceanfront is prime, especially during whale season or summer.

But that is all many people are asking on TUG's Marketplace for their OF weeks, but people lowball their offers or bypass those weeks, because it's too steep for their blood.

Go ahead and stay in that hotel room. I think it's hilarious.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...Would I pay some of you $1500 and UP for a week in Hawaii in off season? NO, absolutely not. How about $3000 for week in High Season? You must be nuts!

No, we are not nuts. That is the going price for some quality timeshares in Hawaii. If you did your research, you would know that occupancy rates and rental rates in Hawaii have been steadily rising. A comparable hotel would cost much, MUCH more. Paying $3,000 for a week in a high quality Hawaiian timeshare is a steal.

I can get a nice hotel with free breakfast for much less than that. Realistically, our budget can't handle renting on Maui from a Tugger :0(. That isn't your fault, of course - but, we also do not NEED an apt. in Hawaii - we spend nearly all our time outdoors. So, although one of your condo's on the beach would be nice, it is NOT necessary for us.

That's great for you to have such flexibility. We just wonder if what we have is NOT what someone wants, why inquire about such "overpriced" rentals in the first place? You're wasting your time and ours.

Do I haggle with people? Sure! Sometimes. Actually, often - but not always. Am I a TROUBLE MAKER because I make someone a lower offer? NO.

I don't think owners have a problem with someone wanting a bargain, but I think most experienced Tuggers know the value of what they own, and ask reasonable rental rates. They are put off by renters who don't do their homework, want unrealistically low-priced rentals, and are rude in their approach to "negotiating" a good deal.

Just one question: Do most of you GET your ASKING price? Just wondering. Maybe I AM from a different planet.
:shrug:

No, we're from the same planet, but have different experiences and expectations. Getting $4,000 to $6,000 for a weekly rental is not that difficult if you own a really high demand week at a high demand resort.

marty77

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I do

Turnaround is fair play - I tell these people (and I do get them) I will keep their info but thanks anyway, but my minimum is $$$. Then, if the week gets close I send them a counter-offer somewhere in between. Denise and others are right - in business, ALWAYS be the bigger/nicer guy, and you may win a customer eventually. Especially if you are the one who asked for the contact by being the one who offered to rent out. Don't take a sucker offer. Just be nice, reason with them, and use time to your advantage.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is definitely a market for the top timeshares in prime locations.

There is also a market for luxury automobiles.

That doesn't mean that everyone is, or should be, in the market for the top timeshares, or luxury automobiles. It usually all comes down to disposable income.

I am always a little nonplussed when I get an email from someone that says, "We are on a really tight budget, and we can't really afford to go to Hawaii, so will your rent your timeshare to me for half the advertised rate, and can we make payments?"

I want to respond, "You clearly can't afford to got to Hawaii - consider a stay-cation, camping, or applying the money to your credit card debt instead."

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Turnaround is fair paly - I tell these people (and I do get them) I will keep their info but thanks anyway.

I don't want to keep track of them, so I tell them to check back with me 2 mos. before check-in, when I may consider a reduction in the price.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is definitely a market for the top timeshares in prime locations.

There is also a market for luxury automobiles.

That doesn't mean that everyone is, or should be, in the market for the top timeshares, or luxury automobiles. It usually all comes down to disposable income.

I am always a little nonplussed when I get an email from someone that says, "We are on a really tight budget, and we can't really afford to go to Hawaii, so will your rent your timeshare to me for half the advertised rate, and can we make payments?"

I want to respond, "You clearly can't afford to got to Hawaii - consider a stay-cation, camping, or applying the money to your credit card debt instead."

I just politely respond "sorry, I cannot do that at this point in time", and that is the end of it. Low offers just don't bother me at all. I don't care to waste any time on reasons or whatever. I don't even think about it.