• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott TravelEx Insurance - 2018 Changes

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
FWIW, I just got off the phone with a MVCI rep and she said they had just completed an update class on the insurance program and that one of the changes, as a result of the issues after the 2017 hurricanes, was deletion of the paragraph(her term) that caused the lack of coverage due to timing issues between purchase date, storm date and cancellation date.

She also said that for medical issues, like the need to go to the ER for a broken foot, that the medical facility would bill TravelEx directly and prepay/reimbursement is not longer needed.

She didn't know much more and I have not contacted TravelEx for details, but if you are in the market, I'd specifically ask TravelEx (1-800-351-5212) about the changes and see what they say.

She said they got a copy of the deleted paragraph, but she no longer had it...would have been nice to see that.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. We are in the process of deciding whether to purchase coverage for 2019. We were “fortunate” that ‘17 timeshare reservations affected by the hurricanes were covered by the MVCI policy, so we got some reimbursement, but we know a lot of folks weren’t so lucky. Given this info, we are more likely to go ahead with the purchase. Then we’ll compare the old and new policies to see what changes were made, so we can decide whether to keep the 2019 policy.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem with current coverage is the 30 day rule. If your check-in date is more than 30 days after the storm/damage occurrence, the policy will not cover the trip. I will never buy this policy unless this restriction is eliminated. This was not part of the previous policies prior to Travelex taking over the MVC vacation coverage.

There is also a two year limit on current coverage. Therefore if you use a banked week or exchange from a May 2017 week (or banked points) more in June 2019, your trip would not be covered.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
"She also said that for medical issues, like the need to go to the ER for a broken foot, that the medical facility would bill TravelEx directly and prepay/reimbursement is not longer needed."

I am highly skeptical of any such representation by a MVC Owner Services Representative . It could be that in TravelEx's dreams that they think an ER will bill TravelEx directly, but, I highly doubt the likelihood of a hospital taking that one on, particularly in a resort destination (where many ER's demand a swipe of your credit card to gain the privilege of admission (to the ER)). I'd be very interested in reading what representations TravelEx makes of this benefit, and I'd be even more curious to learn of any direct experiences, when someone insured by TravelEx, produces some evidence of their TravelEx coverage, and an ER Registration Clerk does not demand a swipe of a credit card, or evidence of some other, more mainstream, medical insurance.

If the MVC Owner Services Representative claim is believable, I wonder if TravelEx provides an ER with a house credit card number, so that charges are billed directly to TravelEx? I find that hard to believe.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Here is the new link to the insurance overview they steer you to from the MVC site.
www.travelexinsurance.com/documentation/displaydocument.ashx?filename=MVCT-1015_10101_00000.pdf
[Link deactivated at request of travelexinsurance]

The summary does not seem to provide any useful info on the above topics, but it is worth noting they now have split pricing. See lower left quadrant of page 1.
$99 for Owners, Select and single week owners ($4K max annual coverage for trip cancellation and interruption)
$199 for Executive, Presidential, Chairman and multiple week owners ($10K max annual coverage for trip cancellation and interruption)

As stated above, somebody will likely have to purchase it in order to get the policy details and hopefully somebody can post them here.

Last edited by a moderator:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
According to the policy, they will reimburse for medical services, but will arrange for pre-payment if hospital admission is required.

Here's the link to the NY policy

taxare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the new link to the insurance overview they steer you to from the MVC site.
www.travelexinsurance.com/documentation/displaydocument.ashx?filename=MVCT-1015_10101_00000.pdf

The summary does not seem to provide any useful info on the above topics, but it is worth noting they now have split pricing. See lower left quadrant of page 1.
$99 for Owners, Select and single week owners ($4K max annual coverage for trip cancellation and interruption)
$199 for Executive, Presidential, Chairman and multiple week owners ($10K max annual coverage for trip cancellation and interruption)

As stated above, somebody will likely have to purchase it in order to get the policy details and hopefully somebody can post them here.

Here is the link to the FL policy:

www.travelexinsurance.com/documentation/displaydocument.ashx?filename=MVCB-1117S_0201_12207.pdf

I have 21 days to cancel. Will start looking at this weekend. Would appreciate others critique of the changes to the policy from last year. Thanks.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Here is the link to the FL policy:

www.travelexinsurance.com/documentation/displaydocument.ashx?filename=MVCB-1117S_0201_12207.pdf

I have 21 days to cancel. Will start looking at this weekend. Would appreciate others critique of the changes to the policy from last year. Thanks.
This section does seem to have removed the 30 days prior to scheduled departure wording that applied to hurricanes that was in the old policy.

NEW POLICY (bolding is mine)
the Insured’s or Traveling Companion’s home or Destination being made Uninhabitable or inaccessible by Natural Disaster, that is due to natural causes; vandalism, or burglary. Coverage for a hurricane applies only if insurance was purchased prior to the tropical storm being upgraded to a hurricane;

OLD POLICY (bolding is mine)
your Accommodation at your destination is made uninhabitable due to fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or natural disaster so as to prevent you from reaching your destination or continuing on your Covered Trip. To cancel or delay the arrival on your Covered Trip: 1) your Accommodation must be uninhabitable on the Scheduled Departure Date; 2) your Accommodation must be uninhabitable for a minimum of 24 hours; and 3) the time and date that the Accommodation first becomes uninhabitable must commence no more than 30 days prior to your Scheduled Departure Date. To interrupt your Covered Trip: 1) the Accommodation must be uninhabitable for a minimum of 24 hours; and 2) you must have 50% or more remaining on your Covered Trip at the time and date the Accommodation first becomes uninhabitable

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is definitely worth reading the policy, carefully. The isssue of preexisting medical conditions, and the timing of payment of maintenance fees and purchase of insurance, is interesting.

Going back to the original post, the MVC Owner Services Representative's representation of coverage, the actual policy, and the representation made by the MVC Owner Services Representative, don't seem to line up. In my opinion, this is another reason why licensed insurance agents/brokers should be selling insurance, and not the likes of MVC Owner Services Representatives. The OP said that the MVC Owners Services Repreentative told him/her that if you break your foot, and go to the ER, that the medical facility would bill TravelEx. First, that strikes me as hospital dependent, and only a hospital will determine who they are willing to bill, or not bill. Second, if you read the provisions of the policy carefully, you'll see that it says that TravelEx will advance payment to a hospital, "if the Insured requires admission to a hospital." Granted, there are some foot and ankle injuries that could potentially require "admission to a hospital," but, I suspect they are few and far between, and that most "acute" foot and ankle injuries are treated on an outpatient basis (hence, no hospital admission). So, in fact, my read of the policy is that the Insurer WOULD NOT arrange advance payment for an injury that is treated in the ER, and that does not require admission to a hospital.

I am not an Insurance Agent, nor an expert in insurance, but, my take of all of the above is that I'd be very cautious of any representations made by anyone other than a licensed inszurance agent/broker.

ACCIDENT SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSE BENEFIT
If, while on a Trip, an Insured suffers an Injury or Sickness that requires him or
her to be treated by a Physician, the Company will pay a benefit for Reasonable
and Customary Charges, up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule. The
Company will reimburse the Insured for Medically Necessary Covered Expenses
incurred to treat such Injury or Sickness during the course of the Trip or the
onset of the Sickness provided the initial documented treatment was received
from a Physician during the Trip. The Injury must first occur or the Sickness
must first begin while on a Trip, while covered under this Policy. Pre-existing
medical conditions will be covered if the Pre-existing Medical Condition Waiver
is in effect.
Covered Expenses:
The Company will reimburse the Insured for:
• services of a Physician or registered nurse (R.N.);
• Hospital charges;
• Hospital ancillary services (including, but not limited to, use of the
operating room or emergency room);
• use of an Ambulatory Medical Center;
• X-rays;
• local ambulance services to or from a Hospital;
• artificial limbs, artificial eyes, artificial teeth, or other prosthetic devices;
• rental of durable medical equipment (such as a wheelchair or a Hospital
bed);
• anesthetics (including administration), treatments, transfusions and
laboratory tests ordered by the attending Physician;
• blood, blood products and artificial blood products, and the transfusion
thereof;
• medicines or drugs administered by a Physician or that can be obtained
only with a Physician’s written prescription;
• the cost of emergency dental treatment only during a Trip.
Advance Payment: If an Insured requires admission to a Hospital, the Travel
Insurance Administrator will arrange advance payment, if required. Hospital
confinement must be certified as Medically Necessary by the onsite attending
Physician.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
That;s how I read it too. But it really is a nice policy, and even for the "what if" medical coverage well worth it.
Take note to renew the policy within 3 days of paying your annual MF's for full benefits. I always pay my MF's online and then call in for the insurance so I don't forget.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought it in October or November when the points fees were first billed. I bought it at the time but it was not this new policy. I paid $169( ?) same as always