• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need an II property

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
AVK Savanah views are not on the higher point scale for dvc, VGF, BLT & now RIV for Florida those are the higher points values rooms and - and are historically less likely to be booked at the 7 month mark - most of the of the one bedrooms in DVC are higher in points than AKV Savanah...AVK Savanah view has historically not been a hard reservation to get in any room size other than grand villa. Its actually quite dependable reservation for last minute before covid...
You arent understanding. Peak season, DVC members choose AKV non-view over Savannah view because the view isnt worth the extra points to them.

Its been easier to get because of that.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
You arent understanding. Peak season, DVC members choose AKV non-view over Savannah view because the view isnt worth the extra points to them.

Its been easier to get because of that.

Not understanding?
While I admit I am still learning about RCI - I pretty well versed in my DVC- You said that these are higher point options at DVC they are not they are not even the highest point view options at AKV-

“Peak season one bedrooms, particular with upgrade views, are so high on DVC's point chart that they are often the ones that have shown up in RCI for exchange.”

it has nothing to do with the point cost peak season it’s still consistent across all seasons …try getting a room a club level room AKV, VGC, or VCF any time of year in any category and it’s like winning the lotto.

the three resorts that showed up pretty consistently, OKW, SSR and AKV in RCI, and are the 3 largest complex’s on property with the highest number of rooms in the system. They dump the leftovers…AKV Savannah view-is not a high points option it is less demand with a bulk of rooms. the club level is the high option at AKV and almost impossible to get even if you owner home priority pre- Covid Savannah view 1 bedrooms could be booked discounted in less than 1 weeks notice…I know we have done it and it’s usually where I stick extended family/friends I don’t like that much.

They may be higher in RCI exchange points/if that’s what you were referring to…but that doesn’t make them a high point unit in DVC. it’s generally less desirable for multiple reasons- there is a reason it’s more Kidani vs Jambo…

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not understanding?
While I admit I am still learning about RCI - I pretty well versed in my DVC- You said that these are higher point options at DVC they are not they are not even the highest point view options at AKV-

“Peak season one bedrooms, particular with upgrade views, are so high on DVC's point chart that they are often the ones that have shown up in RCI for exchange.”

it has nothing to do with the point cost peak season it’s still consistent across all seasons …try getting a room a club level room AKV, VGC, or VCF any time of year in any category and it’s like winning the lotto.

the three resorts that showed up pretty consistently, OKW, SSR and AKV in RCI, and are the 3 largest complex’s on property with the highest number of rooms in the system. They dump the leftovers…AKV Savannah view-is not a high points option it is less demand with a bulk of rooms. the club level is the high option at AKV and almost impossible to get even if you owner home priority pre- Covid Savannah view 1 bedrooms could be booked discounted in less than 1 weeks notice…I know we have done it and it’s usually where I stick extended family/friends I don’t like that much.

They may be higher in RCI exchange points/if that’s what you were referring to…but that doesn’t make them a high point unit in DVC. it’s generally less desirable for multiple reasons- there is a reason it’s more Kidani vs Jambo…

I am talking about unit preferences within a resort. You countered with other resorts that are obviously more upscale.

Don't get your back up! Savannah View comes up often for exchangers, and are the last available in DVC within AKL, because DVCers don't want to expend the extra points on them.

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a 4 bedroom Williamsburg plantations. Great MF. Dual with RCI and II. First year of ownership. I deposited my 2021 2 2 bedroom lock off into II.

I got to exchange it for Christmas week at Marriot Cypress Harbour and Vacation Village in Orlando. Both 2 bedrooms.

I would say that I got lucky to catch those the moment they were released into II.

With that said, this is my first year owning a TS.
I was debating whether to deposit my 2022 summer week into RCI or II. I entertained RCI becuse of DVC possibilities. But I guess I would just stick to II for this upcoming year since DVC is with II now.

Good luck to you hun.

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I own a similar VV trader "the Colonies" in Williamsburg that I bought earlier this year. I deposited my 2021 usage in RCI weeks, because it transferred too late and I did not want to be locked into flexchange in II.

I prepaid by 2022 MFs and deposited those into II.

I hope that we can make DVC trades with what we own in II, but to have much of a chance to have done that in RCI weeks we would have had to deposit a 4BR lockout as two units and pay a combine fee. That will not be an option in II.

I have only traded one of my 2022 units that is deposited in II thus far, and it is for Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT for the week of 7/4.

I own a 4 bedroom Williamsburg plantations. Great MF. Dual with RCI and II. First year of ownership. I deposited my 2021 2 2 bedroom lock off into II.

I got to exchange it for Christmas week at Martiot Cypress Harbour and Vacation Village in Orlando. Both 2 bedrooms.

I would say that I got lucky to catch those the moment they were released into II.

With that said, this is my first year owning a TS.
I was debating whether fo deposit my 2022 summer week into RCI or II. I entertained RCI becuse of DVC possibilities. But I guess I would just stick to II for this upcoming year since DVC is with II now.

Good luck to you hun.

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Hilton Head, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk and AKV
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Wyndam Great Smokey Mountains
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
I had the same experience. If Animal Kingdom Lodge wasn't at Disney World, didn't have the theming, and didn't have the Savannah I'd think I was in a crappy timeshare.

However, it was at Disney World, the theming was fun, and it was magical waking up to see animals.

Disney World has gotten VERY expensive for our family (We're in it about $3500 just on tickets for our family for a week). We will probably go once every 3-4 years and I'll try to stay on site if possible.

We go to Florida at least once per year, and we really enjoy staying at the Marriott's which I find much nicer and a lot more comfortable for our family.

I can agree with you about the expense of Disney. It is bananas these days. I am shifting my vacation preferences as the kids are getting older and Disney just is not as magical as in the past, But you may have given a very heavy handed diss on Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's far from a crappy timeshare.

I know everyone has a preference on how they choose to vacation, however there are aspects of AK that you cannot get at any resort. My Westin and Marriott resorts are great, however neither of those two resorts offer a unique experience (at least not any in the US).

Here are some of the unique experiences of AK and great things at the resort in general:

AK resort has the second largest collection of African Art in American (second to the Smithsonian)
3 Really good restaurants on site with Jiko, Sanaa and Boma
Extended hours for Disney parks
Multiply Cultural enrichment programs
Over 10 different animal enrichment programs
Interactive Stories with guides from Africa
African history experience
Animal Feedings
Trips on the Savannah
Paint and Sip Savannah program

Now, I can enjoy my Marriott stay as well while I'm in Orlando (we like Sabal Palms). But, last time I was at Sabal, it wasn't exactly the cleanest place either. It's safe to say many timeshares have relaxed standards these days.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can agree with you about the expense of Disney. It is bananas these days. I am shifting my vacation preferences as the kids are getting older and Disney just is not as magical as in the past, But you may have given a very heavy handed diss on Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's far from a crappy timeshare.

I know everyone has a preference on how they choose to vacation, however there are aspects of AK that you cannot get at any resort. My Westin and Marriott resorts are great, however neither of those two resorts offer a unique experience (at least not any in the US).

Here are some of the unique experiences of AK and great things at the resort in general:

AK resort has the second largest collection of African Art in American (second to the Smithsonian)
3 Really good restaurants on site with Jiko, Sanaa and Boma
Extended hours for Disney parks
Multiply Cultural enrichment programs
Over 10 different animal enrichment programs
Interactive Stories with guides from Africa
African history experience
Animal Feedings
Trips on the Savannah
Paint and Sip Savannah program

Now, I can enjoy my Marriott stay as well while I'm in Orlando (we like Sabal Palms). But, last time I was at Sabal, it wasn't exactly the cleanest place either. It's safe to say many timeshares have relaxed standards these days.
That's a really fair point. I was referencing just the quality of the room (things like cleanliness, furniture, cooking facilities, etc).

I also visited during 2020, so there wasn't any of those activities going on. Fortunately, all that theming was there and it was a lot of fun. To be clear, I would love to go back.

That's also a really fair point about the cleaning standards having been reduced recently. I've seen that pretty much across the board. The only exception was our experience at HGVC Kingsland...that place was completely spotless, and they cleaned our room 3 times in 2 weeks which was really, really nice.

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview RCI Points, Wyndham CWA
I have read through this thread and have a question. I own VV at Grandview 122,000 RCI points. VV says they trade in both II and RCI, does anyone know how this would trade in II for a DVC week? Or is it entirely too early to tell. Thanks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have read through this thread and have a question. I own VV at Grandview 122,000 RCI points. VV says they trade in both II and RCI, does anyone know how this would trade in II for a DVC week? Or is it entirely too early to tell. Thanks.
No, I don't think you can trade through II. RCI Points is a great product for us in getting to Hawaii resorts. You will find value in your points elsewhere. Or you can sell them and buy something that will trade in II.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You don't have to be logged in to see the resort directory for II. If your resort is not listed, it will not trade into II. But there are some VV properties in II. I think Berkshires might be listed. Maybe they do some sort of internal trade magic for owners? Vacation Village at Bonaventure is listed in the directory.

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You don't have to be logged in to see the resort directory for II. If your resort is not listed, it will not trade into II. But there are some VV properties in II. I think Berkshires might be listed. Maybe they do some sort of internal trade magic for owners? Vacation Village at Bonaventure is listed in the directory.
Thank you...I didnt know I could see their resorts...I love my RCI points but with two 4 year old grandsons...really need trading power into DVC.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you...I didnt know I could see their resorts...I love my RCI points but with two 4 year old grandsons...really need trading power into DVC.
Have you checked with Wyndham to see if they will allow a deposit into II?

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No I have not. I can wait awhile and see how this all shakes out...if I need to sell and buy elswhere I can...will see what happens.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
CWA? They won’t.
if I need to sell and buy elswhere I can...will see what happens.
Free advice: don’t buy something ONLY with the intention of trading into DVC. Have a broader plan for anything you think about buying.

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA? They won’t.
Im not really tied too tight to those CWA points...I could sell those and buy something else for sure

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA? They won’t.

Free advice: don’t buy something ONLY with the intention of trading into DVC. Have a broader plan for anything you think about buying.
I appreciate the FREE advice....but my only plan when I buy is to use the purchase in all ways possible AND buy intervals that are fairly easy to get rid of on the resale market. SO....with that being said....does anyone have a handle on a good property to be looking for that would trade fairly easily into DVC and be fairly easy to get rid of on the resale market that trades in II?

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think it’s way to early to tell…especially as travel restrictions somewhat ease up and banking borrowing rules ect have yet to get back to normal. For me personally I would love to see what’s available on II- for trade as far as my DVC points go, will there be minimum deposits ect just a lot of unknowns unitl we can actually login from the DVC side. I say this because I have only 105 for October points coming and while I would never have considered depositing in RCI there is a better than even chance I would consider trading to certain Marriotts ect outside the bubble. I am sure I am not the only owner that feels this way so hopefully we will have great exchange experiences all around once things start up.

I appreciate the FREE advice....but my only plan when I buy is to use the purchase in all ways possible AND buy intervals that are fairly easy to get rid of on the resale market. SO....with that being said....does anyone have a handle on a good property to be looking for that would trade fairly easily into DVC and be fairly easy to get rid of on the resale market that trades in II?

You may want to consider a Marriott trader -they seem to be pretty user friendly all around-

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
While VV does trade in both II and rci, not all VV resorts are affiliated with both. Grandview only trades through RCI.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA? They won’t.

Will Club Wyndham/ developer Founder's Platinum trade with II still? I used to be able to do that in 2007, not sure about today's Wyndham. There are only a handful of Wyndham resorts that trade into II, and I don't own any of them with my Bali Hai and Shearwater points, which is all I am keeping, maybe some of my Smoky Mountains. I could attempt a phone call.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Wyndham has been doing everything to choke out the remnants of points deposited into II. You have to be grandfathered in with specific wyndham properties and only been using II (not rci) since around 2011 and you have to regularly confirm that you want to remain in II and if you don't respond they will auto switch you to rci and you will not be able to switch back. For the few members, that still qualify and jump through the hoops to remain in II they make depositing difficult or at least don't bother training wyndham employees on how to do so it could take multiple calls to get through to someone to help.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
my only plan when I buy is to use the purchase in all ways possible
Good to hear! I think that's exactly right. And, if you make a good decision about something with lots of high-value options, then disposing of it will also be relatively easy. For example, your converted VV week is probably an easy thing to get rid of. CWA is a little harder (it has higher than average fees on a per-point basis) but still very doable.

I think if I were buying specifically for II, there are two paths to take. One is to try to get a low-cost Marriott or a voluntary Starwood in the highest season at a place I'd be willing to visit at least some of the time. Those probably won't be free, but they will also give you at least some internal preference in II for some of the best (non-DVC) inventory there, and also should be sufficient to get DVC. The other is to buy an off-brand resort at a decent location in peak season--and I'd want it to at least be Select (silver) if not better. As @rickandcindy23 mentioned here or maybe in another thread, something that isn't rated runs the risk of being shut out of all but the dregs in II. Remember to avoid any Orlando-area resorts, as if you own any you will be barred from exchanging in. From the DVC/II Disclosure:

II does not issue Confirmations for (i) an exchange into any DVC Resort located in the Orlando/Kissimmee, Florida, area to any Interval Member who owns a week-specific interest in a Member Resort located within the Orlando/Kissimmee, Florida, area

(Note that that language is more strict than RCI Weeks used to implement. In RCI Weeks, you could *own* something in Weeks that was in Orlando, but as long as you didn't use that ownership in any way for the exchange, it was allowed. This seems to say that if you *own* any weeks in Orlando, you will be barred. They might end up implementing what RCI did, and I suspect anyone in a points program that has an underlying ownership in Orlando will be allowed.)

Before committing to either of these routes, I'd also want to see some of the sightings threads to see who could and couldn't see DVC. My II weeks used to be able to see them, and these are weeks that see most but not quite all of the high-quality II deposits. But, a lot might have changed in the past dozen or so years. The Marriott/Starwood route is probably safe and will have good exchange options in any event--again, as long as you avoid Orlando.

Will Club Wyndham/ developer Founder's Platinum trade with II still?
No one who isn't currently able to use II will be able to unless Wyndham changes the rules---and seeing as how Wyndham owns RCI, that's unlikely.

Each Wyndham account is affiliated with exactly one exchange company. Originally, the affiliation was determined by your first Wyndham purchase in any account. There were a handful of resorts that, if you bought them first, would affiliate the account with Interval, but most affiliated with RCI. If memory serves, some years ago Wyndnam told all owners with II-affiliations that they were being moved to RCI unless they explicitly opted out, with a very short deadline. (That's a fuzzy recollection, though--I wasn't affected so I only paid half attention). All new Club Wyndham accounts are now affiliated with RCI no matter what the first ownership is.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
While VV does trade in both II and rci, not all VV resorts are affiliated with both. Grandview only trades through RCI.

This is true. And I have been told if a property is enrolled in RCI Points it cannot be traded in II. I am not 100% that is true, but I can believe it would make trading it in II more difficult.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Remember to avoid any Orlando-area resorts, as if you own any you will be barred from exchanging in. From the DVC/II Disclosure:

(Note that that language is more strict than RCI Weeks used to implement. In RCI Weeks, you could *own* something in Weeks that was in Orlando, but as long as you didn't use that ownership in any way for the exchange, it was allowed. This seems to say that if you *own* any weeks in Orlando, you will be barred. They might end up implementing what RCI did, and I suspect anyone in a points program that has an underlying ownership in Orlando will be allowed.)

This stood out to me as well. The verbiage is interesting as they state that anyone who “owns” a week in Orlando would be blocked. It brings up the question of what if someone owns an Orlando week but also has a week at a resort in Hawaii in the same interval account? Would the exchange be blocked even if the member was using a deposit from the Hawaii resort?

Let’s take vistana mandatory resorts as an example, those units qualify for a Corp Interval account. Is there a way to have 2 separate Corp accounts just in case any account with an Orlando ownership is actually blocked from exchanging into DVC?

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Worldmark is one of the best timeshares to own. It's a points system whose upfront cost has gone way down in the last decade. If you are patient, you can pick up a 10000 point ownership for about $1000 - $1500 and often you get a year's worth of points with the purchase so the actual purchase price is $1000 less a year's maintenance fees. You can rent in double the points you own from other Worldmark owners. It trades in both RCI and II. I have found it to have good trading power in II. For 10,000 worldmark points, you can exchange into a 2 bedroom. 8000 points for a 1 Bedroom. The maintenance fees for 10000 points are around $800. You can often buy one time use points from other worldmark owners for about 7 cents each. I also owned sheraton broadway plantation, and it has been a good trader. For $1350 in maintenance fees, you get two 1-bedroom units to exchange. (I gave away my SBP because I had too many timeshare weeks.)

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score

PS: anytime you are ready to get rid of your GV ownership, I could take it off your hands.
I have been patiently waiting for a GV RCI points to purchase.