• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New 2018 Marriott/SPG credit cards - Deadlines AMEX 8/25/18 and VISA 12/31/18

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Applied and got the "pending review, answer in 14 days" response rather than the immediate approval. I have a Business Platinum AmEx, so they may want to look at that. Assume date of application will control for signup bonus rather than date of approval.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Applied and got the "pending review, answer in 14 days" response rather than the immediate approval. I have a Business Platinum AmEx, so they may want to look at that. Assume date of application will control for signup bonus rather than date of approval.
My husband got an invitation for the SPG Amex Luxury card for 125K points and he just received his Marriott Visa Premier card (100K bonus) 2 months ago and similarly when he applied, he had a pending review for 14 days. This would be his 5th new card in 24 months, so we will see.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I logged into my SPG Amex account tonight, it showed an offer to upgrade to the SPG Amex Luxury for 50K bonus. There is no spending requirement, much like when I accepted the 20K bonus for upgrading my Marriott Visa to the Marriott Visa Premier. I am not sure to do it or not for the SPG Amex. I already have the Chase Sapphire Reserve which I use for dining and travel purchase. My current SPG Amex only costs $65 per year, which they have never raised my membership fee to $95 when they raised the fee. I received a letter from them many years ago "apologizing" for wrongly sending a notice to me for a membership fee increase, and that I would continue to be billed for $65 only. I think it has something to do with putting $60K to $100K on the card each year.

I don't need another $450 card, which costs $150 after $300 in rebate. While it comes with a 50K night, I am not sure I have use for one nighters. $150 compared with $65 is a small chunk of change. But I get a one time 50K bonus. I don't think I can downgrade again and expect them to keep my membership fee at $65 per year.

Thoughts?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Just another data point for offsetting CC fees. I have the AMEX SPEG and called to discuss cancelling the card (vs Sapphire Reserve) as I didn't want to keep paying the fee. The rep said she found an offer for my card. If I spend $1000(?) over the next 30 days, then they will credit $100 to my account, negating the annual $95 fee. Seems it's always worth calling to discuss cancellation. That level of rep usually has significant authority to keep you enrolled.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Received the 125K AMEX SPG offer by e-mail the other day, with the following terms:

OFFER TERMS

Effective 8/26, welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® Credit Card from JP Morgan in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase, or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a welcome or upgrade offer for The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase, or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 24 months.

I got a MR Premier CC at the end of June, so I guess I have to wait a bit. Offer expires early December. Given I don't have Global Entry and want it, this seems like a no-brainer for me.

BigMac

Reaction score
Received the 125K AMEX SPG offer by e-mail the other day, with the following terms:

OFFER TERMS

Effective 8/26, welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® Credit Card from JP Morgan in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase, or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a welcome or upgrade offer for The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase, or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 24 months.

I got a MR Premier CC at the end of June, so I guess I have to wait a bit. Offer expires early December. Given I don't have Global Entry and want it, this seems like a no-brainer for me.

If you got a welcome MR points for that MR premier CC you'll have to wait 2 years.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
A somewhat twisted path, but I got there.

For upgrading my Marriott VISA, I was eligible for a 50K MRP bonus according to this website: https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall

I pulled the trigger in July after I received my annual free night award certificate (25K) with the old card.

Got the new card promptly in the mail, but I received only 40K MRP bonus.

Called to complain and was then awarded an additional 20K MRP for my trouble.

60K MRP upgrade bonus received in total. Beauracracy and inefficiency sometimes work in my favor.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score

Simple call cleaned it up. We recently moved and my address didn't match the address for my Business Platinum AmEx. Approved over the phone and card on the way.

Once I get to 750 nights to get LTPP (need 11 nights and using $3k = night until I get there), I will likely ditch the current OLD Chase MR card before the next annual fee comes due. Unless Chase wants to give me something worthwhile to move over to the NEW Chase MR, I'll be using the SPG AmEx at all hotels to make sure I get my $300 recouped.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband got an invitation for the SPG Amex Luxury card for 125K points and he just received his Marriott Visa Premier card (100K bonus) 2 months ago and similarly when he applied, he had a pending review for 14 days. This would be his 5th new card in 24 months, so we will see.
An update. My husband just received his SPG Amex Luxury card in mail and he received his Marriott Visa Premier Plus card under 2 months ago. 125K for the SPG and 100K for Marriott Visa. I guess it pays in not having either card in the first place.

I did the automatic upgrade of my Marriott Visa for 20K, and I did not grovel for more. I am still contemplating whether to take the 50K SPG Luxury card upgrade but I am leaning towards not. I am not sure I can commit to spending $600 (husband's $300 for his card and my $300 if I were to take up the offer) at a SPG/Marriott property each year. I already have the CSR card and my husband is a supplemental card holder off mine. I will sit back and watch my husband rake up his points.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I can commit to spending $600 (husband's $300 for his card and my $300 if I were to take up the offer) at a SPG/Marriott property each year.

You can take your 4 plus us 2 to dinner at DSV next year. We'll help! :thumbup: I am sure the JW is not too cheap.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Hope the $300 gets rebated back for paying our maintenence fees. Anyone have expeeience yet that we get the $300 rebate for paying mf? Thanks
An update. My husband just received his SPG Amex Luxury card in mail and he received his Marriott Visa Premier Plus card under 2 months ago. 125K for the SPG and 100K for Marriott Visa. I guess it pays in not having either card in the first place.

I did the automatic upgrade of my Marriott Visa for 20K, and I did not grovel for more. I am still contemplating whether to take the 50K SPG Luxury card upgrade but I am leaning towards not. I am not sure I can commit to spending $600 (husband's $300 for his card and my $300 if I were to take up the offer) at a SPG/Marriott property each year. I already have the CSR card and my husband is a supplemental card holder off mine. I will sit back and watch my husband rake up his points.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received the following offer from Amex on the Luxury card. The fine print says that MVC is not eligible.

Details

Get a one-time $60 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $300+ on room rate and room charges when you pay for your stay with Marriott from 8/27/2018 to 10/25/2018. See terms for exclusions.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got my SPG Luxury Card via UPS yesterday. Getting ready to close on a week at Ocean Pointe that was part of a hybrid deal where we've already closed on the points. Got the paperwork from the title company yesterday as well. Says to provide check OR Marriott Credit Card Authorization info to them to pay for it. Some questions:

1 - will the SPG Luxury Card qualify as a "Marriott Credit Card?"
2 - assume won't count toward the $300 (based on above and wouldn't have expected that anyway)
3 - wonder if I can split cost of transaction across 2 credit cards and charge $5k to the Luxury SPG to meet the spending requirements to get the 100k points and remainder to OLD Chase MR card to help toward my 750 nights via $3k spend = 1 night credit.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Got my SPG Luxury Card via UPS yesterday. Getting ready to close on a week at Ocean Pointe that was part of a hybrid deal where we've already closed on the points. Got the paperwork from the title company yesterday as well. Says to provide check OR Marriott Credit Card Authorization info to them to pay for it. Some questions:

2 - assume won't count toward the $300 (based on above and wouldn't have expected that anyway)
3 - wonder if I can split cost of transaction across 2 credit cards and charge $5k to the Luxury SPG to meet the spending requirements to get the 100k points and remainder to OLD Chase MR card to help toward my 750 nights via $3k spend = 1 night credit.

I believe SPG Luxury Card can interchangeable known as a Marriott Credit Card.
I don't see why not in splitting with 2 credit cards. It simply has to do with the closing company running the charge on 2 cards.

Congrats on the new hybrid purchase!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I received the following offer from Amex on the Luxury card. The fine print says that MVC is not eligible.

Details

Get a one-time $60 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $300+ on room rate and room charges when you pay for your stay with Marriott from 8/27/2018 to 10/25/2018. See terms for exclusions.
Does the fine print exclude the annual $300 credit from having the luxury card? Or is the fine print for the $60 off for a $300 stay at Marriott but not mvc? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Was surprised to come home and see our cards sent by ups next day. I will be charging our grand residence mf for this quarter. Will report if that qualifies for the rebate.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Does the fine print exclude the annual $300 credit from having the luxury card? Or is the fine print for the $60 off for a $300 stay at Marriott but not mvc? Thanks

I think paying for stays at Marriott Vacation Club properties would work, but perhaps not MFs. It all depends on what criteria they use to qualify the spend. It is based on payee name only or perhaps payee and category.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the fine print.

Offer valid only at participating Marriott® brands in the U.S and U.S. territories, including: JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, Gaylord Hotels®, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Courtyard®, Residence Inn®, SpringHill Suites®, Fairfield Inn by Marriott®, TownePlace Suites® and Moxy® Hotels. Reservations must be made online at Marriott.com, via the Marriott Mobile App or by calling Marriott Worldwide Reservations (888-236-2427). Excludes the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton®, St. Regis®, EDITION®, The Luxury Collection, W® Hotels, Bulgari®, Sheraton®, Marriott Vacation Club®, Le Méridien®, Westin®, Design Hotels™, Tribute Portfolio®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Protea Hotels®, Aloft®, Marriott Executive Apartments®, Element® and Vistana™. Excludes all timeshares, residences, travel packages, and retail store purchases. Offer not valid at international locations outside the U.S and U.S. territories. Excludes gift card purchases. Offer only valid on room rate and room charges. Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was interested in the priority pass lounge availability, but they don’t have much in the airports we fly in and out of. There’s nothing in Savannah. It’s a minute lounge in Charlotte. There are plenty in Dallas but we’re usually there for less than an hour. And, there’s nothing in Salt Lake and Palm Springs. So, it doesn’t seem worth it to us.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was interested in the priority pass lounge availability, but they don’t have much in the airports we fly in and out of. There’s nothing in Savannah. It’s a minute lounge in Charlotte. There are plenty in Dallas but we’re usually there for less than an hour. And, there’s nothing in Salt Lake and Palm Springs. So, it doesn’t seem worth it to us.

I generally find them useful mostly for international flights.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the fine print.

Offer valid only at participating Marriott® brands in the U.S and U.S. territories, including: JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, Gaylord Hotels®, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Courtyard®, Residence Inn®, SpringHill Suites®, Fairfield Inn by Marriott®, TownePlace Suites® and Moxy® Hotels. Reservations must be made online at Marriott.com, via the Marriott Mobile App or by calling Marriott Worldwide Reservations (888-236-2427). Excludes the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton®, St. Regis®, EDITION®, The Luxury Collection, W® Hotels, Bulgari®, Sheraton®, Marriott Vacation Club®, Le Méridien®, Westin®, Design Hotels™, Tribute Portfolio®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Protea Hotels®, Aloft®, Marriott Executive Apartments®, Element® and Vistana™. Excludes all timeshares, residences, travel packages, and retail store purchases. Offer not valid at international locations outside the U.S and U.S. territories. Excludes gift card purchases. Offer only valid on room rate and room charges. Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.
I am wondering, if I spend in the adjacent hotel property but charge to my MVC room, would that count?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's the fine print.

Offer valid only at participating Marriott brands in the U.S and U.S. territories, including: JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Gaylord Hotels, AC Hotels by Marriott, Courtyard, Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites, Fairfield Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites and Moxy Hotels. Reservations must be made online at Marriott.com, via the Marriott Mobile App or by calling Marriott Worldwide Reservations (888-236-2427). Excludes the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, EDITION, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Bulgari, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Le Méridien, Westin, Design Hotels, Tribute Portfolio, Four Points by Sheraton, Protea Hotels, Aloft, Marriott Executive Apartments, Element and Vistana. Excludes all timeshares, residences, travel packages, and retail store purchases. Offer not valid at international locations outside the U.S and U.S. territories. Excludes gift card purchases. Offer only valid on room rate and room charges. Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.
That is for the bonus. I am talking about the annual $300 rebate on the spg luxury card. Here are the terms from amex website:
$300 SPG/Marriott Rewards Statement Credit

During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $300 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly at participating SPG or Marriott Rewards hotels on your Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.
Eligible SPG or Marriott Rewards property purchases must be made directly with the participating SPG or Marriott Rewards property and charged to your Starwood Preferred GuestAmerican Express Luxury Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas and other establishments within the hotel property) must be charged to your room and paid for with your Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card at checkout in order to be recognized as SPG or Marriott Rewards purchases.
Visit spg.com for the list of participating SPG properties or Marriott.com for the list of participating Marriott Rewards properties. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $300 per renewal year in statement credits across all Cards on the Card Account. Please allow 8-12 weeks after the eligible SPG or Marriott purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Please call the number on the back of your Card if statement credits have not posted after 12 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges.

According to t&c charging mf of timeshares might trigger it. Just like getting 3x spg points for paying Marriott mf this past year.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Duplicate post.

Last edited: