• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Marriott Rewards Property Categories and Travel Package Requirements effective Aug '18

Status
Not open for further replies.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
You have to be the owner and someone else cannot use your points. You cannot link your points to your dads MVC account. To add you to the ownership you need to be added to the deed. Once you are added to the deed as a co-owner then MVC will add you in their system. Then you are an owner and can book a 5-night package. I wouldn’t start going through all that until you know there will still be 5-night packages after the 18th.

I doubt adding owners to the deed could even be accomplished by the 18th. Sounds like a non-starter, given the timeframe we're all dealing with on TP redemptions.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
He could book a package using points from his MR account, not yours. The only work-around I see as a possibility, is if your father were able to have you added as an additional named owner with MVCI (as Bazzap suggested). However, I'm not sure what the mechanics of that are assuming your father were amenable.

Have to be on the deed. MVCI doesn’t allow arbitrarily adding anyone as an “unofficial” owner. From what I have experienced they are strict on following chain of title and those titles matching the transfers in the MVC system.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Yes, there is a 30 day waiting period and we met that requirement. Both my husband and I received an email stating that they had received our request to transfer the points and it would be done within 5 business days. Still waiting and will call if they don't show up today.

What is the 30 day waiting period exactly? If I set up an SPG account today my wife cannot transfer points to my SPG account for 30 days?

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, your account would have to be open for 30 days before she could transfer points to you.

What is the 30 day waiting period exactly? If I set up an SPG account today my wife cannot transfer points to my SPG account for 30 days?

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, sorry if this has come up previously.

My dad is a MVC owner and we make great use of our timeshare but he has no interest in TPs. I am not an owner but have a boatload of Marriott pts saved up (427k).

I was hoping to go for 2 5-night packages, but not sure if either MVCI or the regular Marriott Rewards line will let me do so since I'm not the timeshare owner. Has anyone done this? Is it possible for an owner to "gift" the ability to book these to a family member? Would having him on the line to more or less vouch for me work?

I know front line Marriott Rewards reps will mistakenly give these out to non owners, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble. Thoughts?
1. clear out all of the points from your dad's account somehow (e.g. book something for 2019 which he intends to cancel).
2. Transfer points into his account from yours to buy TP # 1.
3. identify a second MR account, neither yours nor your dads (spouses, siblings etc all good) - clear out their account as above at 1 for your dad
4. have them make a large 2019 hotel booking requiring the remaining points you want to use, requiring you to transfer the points for that to their account.
5. have them cancel the booking so they have all the points you want to use for TP # 2 in their account.
6. have them transfer the points to your dad's account to allow your dad to book TP #2

nothing above is illegal nor officially against the terms of the program although it is LOTS of trouble to organize.... it should work but you have to ask yourself is it really worth the effort?

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I called tonight but the system was down. I have a reservation in my name. I just need to get the points transferred to order the certificate. I booked something that I wouldn't mind keeping (i.e. Atlantis) but I will still likely cancel.

I tried again. I got the same response "sorry the system is down". I was told that it has been down for 6 days.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Travel Package newbie here - I know, a little late to the game...but I want to buy a 5 night travel package and have read through most of the posts. I think what I need to do is call MVCI (which Dept is this? Customer Service?) And ask for Cat 1-5 pkg with 120K miles. Correct? And the cost should be 230K? Sorry, I know all the information is in the posts but I'm not sure I am remembering correctly and I have tried to go back and pull the information I need, but there are a lot of posts to go through. Hopefully this is an easy answer/confirmation for someone experienced with them.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Travel Package newbie here - I know, a little late to the game...but I want to buy a 5 night travel package and have read through most of the posts. I think what I need to do is call MVCI (which Dept is this? Customer Service?) And ask for Cat 1-5 pkg with 120K miles. Correct? And the cost should be 230K? Sorry, I know all the information is in the posts but I'm not sure I am remembering correctly and I have tried to go back and pull the information I need, but there are a lot of posts to go through. Hopefully this is an easy answer/confirmation for someone experienced with them.
The 120K miles depends on the airline, but if for example, you are transferring to American (there are others in this category too), then yes, you can get 120K miles transferred and a category 1-5 would cost you 235K MR points. And you call the normal MVC VOA line just as if you were going to do something with your timeshare week/points. And they can even book a Marriott hotel for you with your 5 night package if you already know what you want to do with it.

When you call, just tell them you want to purchase a 5 night travel package, tell them you want a category 1-5 and which airline you want the miles to go to, and tell them that you want the maximum airline miles that can be transferred and they can confirm the # of airlines miles that would go to your specific airline.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Is it possible to book a travel package from my Marriott Rewards account and assign the United points to my DH's UAL account but keep the hotel cert in my Marriott account? Just consolidated DH SPG points into my account and would like to avoid delays and hassles of moving all the SPG points back to his account.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Is it possible to book a travel package from my Marriott Rewards account and assign the United points to my DH's UAL account but keep the hotel cert in my Marriott account? Just consolidated DH SPG points into my account and would like to avoid delays and hassles of moving all the SPG points back to his account.
I believe the name on the MR account and the name on the Airline rewards account has to be exactly the same for the transfer to occur. At least they made a point to ask me about it during my recent TP transactions.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I believe it is only from your MR account to your FF account. From there you can share/transfer as the airline allows.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Yes, your account would have to be open for 30 days before she could transfer points to you.

Okay. Thank you.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
QQ: Is the expiration date on a vacation package hotel certificate the date of check-in, or check-out?

IE. Hotel VP expires on July 1, 2019. Does that mean a check-in on July 1, 2019 is acceptable even though check-out would be later that week past expiration?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
In case you need it here’s the 5 night point chart:

5 Nights + 50k Miles 5 Nights + 70k Miles 5 Nights + 100k Miles 5 Nights + 120k Miles
Category 1-5 165k 185k 215k 235k
Category 6 180k 200k 230k 250k
Category 7 200k 220k 250k 270k
Category 8 230k 250k 280k 300k

Is there a Category 9 point list for the 5 night vacation packages? Didn't see it posted. I'm guessing it would just go up by 30k from Cat8 to Cat9? Can someone confirm.

EDIT: Found my own answer. Bump is 45k, not 30k. Ugh. I was hoping it was 30k. :/

Category 9 275k 295k 325k 345k

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a Category 9 point list for the 5 night vacation packages? Didn't see it posted. I'm guessing it would just go up by 30k from Cat8 to Cat9? Can someone confirm.

EDIT: Found my own answer. Bump is 45k, not 30k. Ugh. I was hoping it was 30k. :/

Category 9 275k 295k 325k 345k

None of the bumps are equal. 15k->20k->30k->45k. It get's much, much, much worse in the new system. 7 will be the new 9 and it will be 240k higher than cat 1-4 which is the new cat 1-5. Current difference is only 110k. And this is all for 100k miles rather than 120k. Major devaluation.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
If you are an owner, then just call owner services and they will help you with this.

Done. Very quick and easy. Thanks!

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When you call, just tell them you want to purchase a 5 night travel package, tell them you want a category 1-5 and which airline you want the miles to go to, and tell them that you want the maximum airline miles that can be transferred and they can confirm the # of airlines miles that would go to your specific airline.

Done. Thanks! The call went well since I knew what to ask for.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
Any rumors on what will happen to 5 or 7 night hotel certs that are in your account when the change takes place?

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
But the new category is different than the old one, right? Aren't they going to map them to the new category?

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
But the new category is different than the old one, right? Aren't they going to map them to the new category?

That is exactly what I was wondering. Say you have a Category 5 certificate what will it be in the new system?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

They will, but how is unknown.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is exactly what I was wondering. Say you have a Category 5 certificate what will it be in the new system?

If they map by point value, the old 5 will be the new 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.