• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Points Borrowing Policy?

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
The are NOT letting us "borrow points for free." They are points we've paid for in advance to get a discount.
Technically, you've not paid any Maintenance fees for points you might be borrowing from a future year. You may have a contract that allows you points for a given future year, but, until that year begins, you've not put a penny in MF's toward those future year points.

The 90 day 'borrow' feature is a very good deal/benefit. Let's hope that Wyndham does not see this as a benefit worthy of being reserved only for VIP. Best to relax on this subject and just be thankful for the Express Window feature.

carlbarry

Reaction score
Technically, you've not paid any Maintenance fees for points you might be borrowing from a future year. You may have a contract that allows you points for a given future year, but, until that year begins, you've not put a penny in MF's toward those future year points.

The 90 day 'borrow' feature is a very good deal/benefit. Let's hope that Wyndham does not see this as a benefit worthy of being reserved only for VIP. Best to relax on this subject and just be thankful for the Express Window feature.
I'm mainly grateful that I only paid $100, that I only bought 49,000 points, and it has worked for me for 11 years LOL. Of course, the sales weasels always scoff and tell me I can't go anywhere with only 49,000 points. When I was in New Orleans, their solution was that I should buy $100,000+ in points. I passed.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
When I was in New Orleans, their solution was that I should buy $100,000+ in points.
The weasels have a solution to everything....spend money.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Disney does charge different MF for the different resorts. Also, Disney has an image to maintain, so does not have their sales force hammering people over the head, nor would they ever nickel and dime owners like Wyndham does.
My Wyndham TS cost me $100, so I didn't finance. I get my money's worth from it. But it doesn't mean that the level of service Wyndham offers its owners compares to what Disney does.

I agree the sales staff is the worst thing about Wyndham. I also agree that DVC does not have to resort to their tactics. But then again, they have the Disney name. People would buy dung, if you told them it was Disney dung. Not exactly a hard product to sell. As far as I know, every timeshare system that has points deeded to specific resorts, charges owners maintenance fee based on whatever rate the HOA sets. That’s the stuff that covers resort related expenses. It doesn’t cover the expenses of the program itself. Wyndham charges a program fee on those points. You have a small contract, so you pay $131 a year that gets lumped into your yearly or monthly payment. That cost goes to paying for things related to the program. Like the reservation transaction credits. If you only travel once a year, you never pay that fee because you get a certain number of free ones based on the amount of points you own.

I’ll repeat myself again. Disney’s business model for their timeshare will not work for Wyndham. Let’s say someone with 200,000 points, might get a week at one place. Another person might uses those 200,000 points to book three weekend trips. So they used the booking system three times , and they had three cleanings. They used three times the amount of resources as the first owner, but they both pay the same program. If we did Disney’s business model, we would have to charge a program fee, that would cover the costs of that person who is using it more. That means charging the first owner a higher fee to cover the extra costs. Not exactly fair, but for a small program like Disney, it’s not a huge impact to do it that way. You have fewer owners like that second owner, because you have fewer owners period. Wyndham has a lot more of those, because they have a lot more owners. So charging the same program fee to everyone, means they have to estimate the cost of hundreds of thousands of owners. I watched one of the annual owner meetings from webcast when they were talking about the budget. The executive (whose name escapes me) made a comment, that if they charge a fee to high, they would have excess money at the end of the year. That excess money would get taxed. So, they try it avoid that, by charging a rate that would cover the expenses for the majority of the cases and letting the owners who use more resources, pay for those extra resources they are using. That level of service Disney provides, doesn’t come free. You pay for it. Wyndham’s resorts are beautiful, all the staff have been friendly (not counting sales and marketing), and I’ve never be disappointed with the accommodations. I’ve also not been disappointed with the level of service either (again, sales and marketing not included).

If you’re thinking it’s crazy that Wyndham wouldn’t want to charge extra to pad their bottom line, I can see why you would think that. It has to do with complicated tax laws. If they make money in one area, it gets taxed at a higher rate then another area. So they do their best to make money in other places to limit their tax liability. It’s a balancing act. It’s not an easy one with a system as large as Wyndham.

Do I agree with everything they do? Absolutely not, but I’m on the outside looking in. I do my best to try to understand what they are doing, because the alternative is to be ticked off every time they make a change, or charge a fee.

Good job blowing off the sales people. I don’t know why they thought you would actually consider spending $100,000 when you own 49,000 points, and have done just fine with that. I doubt anyone here will say they met a smart Wyndham sales person. The tactics they used are shared among the various systems, because many of the timeshare sales people will jump to another timeshare system and sell there. They bring whatever tactics with them, that worked for them. It doesn’t take just intelligence to tell the same tales, and answer the same questions, Day in and day out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I'm mainly grateful that I only paid $100, that I only bought 49,000 points, and it has worked for me for 11 years LOL. Of course, the sales weasels always scoff and tell me I can't go anywhere with only 49,000 points. When I was in New Orleans, their solution was that I should buy $100,000+ in points. I passed.

carlbarry, Yesterday at 6:17 PM

So what do you typically book with your 49,000 points? Which resort or resorts and for how many nights?

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I can see the ad for Pumba dung now. :D

carlbarry

Reaction score

carlbarry, Yesterday at 6:17 PM

So what do you typically book with your 49,000 points? Which resort or resorts and for how many nights?
My original idea, after taking two trips to Orlando for 4 night each time, was to stay in Orlando for 5 nights. So I bought a small contract to accomplish that, and that only--staying in Bonnet Creek for 5 night off season (45,000 points). But before I booked my first trip, someone told me I should put 27,000 points in RCI, and get 7 nights in a 2 bedroom for the $130 fee. I did that--and then transferred the remaining fee to someone who paid me $5 per point. Note that none of the above is now possible.
As to what I "typically" book---there is no typical. I've been to Flagstaff for the Grand Canyon, New Orleans, three times to Orlando, Washington D.C., Berkshires, Smoky Mountains, twice to Poconos, Puerto Rico, and traded to RCI for a stay in Israel. So despite sales weasels telling me I can't go anywhere with 49,000 points--I have been to places

carlbarry

Reaction score
I’ll repeat myself again. Disney’s business model for their timeshare will not work for Wyndham. Let’s say someone with 200,000 points, might get a week at one place. Another person might uses those 200,000 points to book three weekend trips. So they used the booking system three times , and they had three cleanings. They used three times the amount of resources as the first owner, but they both pay the same program. If we did Disney’s business model, we would have to charge a program fee, that would cover the costs of that person who is using it more. That means charging the first owner a higher fee to cover the extra costs. Not exactly fair, but for a small program like Disney, it’s not a huge impact to do it that way. You have fewer owners like that second owner, because you have fewer owners period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first time I was subjected to a Wyndham sales pitch was in Bonnet Creek, and I knew nothing about TS. I told the sales weasel that as I am self-employed, I can't take a week vacation. His response was, of course--no problem! Take 2 days here, a day there, 3 days somewhere else, then maybe you have some free time, book another 2 days . . .
All without mentioning that for those 5 vacations: 1. each time you will be charged for an entire week of housekeeping points, and 2. every time you make a reservation, after your 2 "free" ones, you will be charged a transaction fee.
So maybe Wyndham has a good reason to charge for housecleaning--but their sales weasels sure never mention it.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
My original idea, after taking two trips to Orlando for 4 night each time, was to stay in Orlando for 5 nights. So I bought a small contract to accomplish that, and that only--staying in Bonnet Creek for 5 night off season (45,000 points). But before I booked my first trip, someone told me I should put 27,000 points in RCI, and get 7 nights in a 2 bedroom for the $130 fee. I did that--and then transferred the remaining fee to someone who paid me $5 per point. Note that none of the above is now possible.
As to what I "typically" book---there is no typical. I've been to Flagstaff for the Grand Canyon, New Orleans, three times to Orlando, Washington D.C., Berkshires, Smoky Mountains, twice to Poconos, Puerto Rico, and traded to RCI for a stay in Israel. So despite sales weasels telling me I can't go anywhere with 49,000 points--I have been to places

Wow, I am actually really, really impressed! I belong to a couple of Wyndham owner Facebook groups and see people with a lot more points than you have frequently complaining that they can't get anything with what they have. I always wonder what their expectations are. You made the effort to learn what your points would get you and have had a number of great stays. Some of the people I see whining have 105k or 154k and that is two to three times the number of points you have.

I haven't deposited anything in RCI either since they raised the point requirements. We used to get some great stays with those blue or white studio or one bedroom deposits. Where we used to live the closest resort was 6.5 hours away so we weren't wanting to drive that far for just 2 or 3 nights to use up any points. Now that isn't an issue since we have a number of resorts to pick from within 3-4 hours driving distance. We now also have four resorts within 20-25 minutes of our house and have even stayed a couple of nights at them when we've had company visiting so they can have a few days at the beach.