• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NYC -- Stayed at Hilton Club and Manhattan

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were lucky enough to spend 5 nights at Hilton Club NYC and 2 nights at Manhattan Club this past week.:p Weather was real cold and several days of rain and wind -- we even had one morning of snow flurries -- and to a Southern California girl -- that was a novelty :)

IMHO, HC is better. Units are larger, lighter with good views and very modern furniture. They offer free expanded continental breakfast AND free cocktails and gourmet snacks like shrimp wrapped in bacon in evenings. Get USA Today delivered weekdays as well. The room has hook-ups for free Internet if you bring your laptop. If not, you pay for the service.

If anyone has questions, let me know -- I will do a trip report in a few days.

senorak

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also recently stayed at the HC (after spending a few nights at the MC back in Feb.)...and prefer the HC. No surcharge (so far) at the HC....and I think the free continental breakfast, beverages and hot/cold hors d'oeuvres make up for the lack of a (small) kitchenette (which the MC has). We found that by eating a bigger breakfast; and taking advantage of the (large) variety of appetizers (served between 5pm-7pm); we only ate one meal/day at a restaurant/pub. You could choose to eat the breakfast in the hotel's restaurant...and for an extra $7.50, upgrade to the full American breakfast (hot foods). Not a bad deal.
While we only stayed in a studio at HC (and previously stayed in 1 BR at the MC), I preferred the room at HC....furniture was nicer, brighter colors...and the large flat screen plasma TV was awesome! Both had rather large bathrooms....our studio at HC did not have a tub (which I prefer); but the shower was awesome! Towels and robes were very fluffy and comfortable.
Would love to stay at the HC again...nice to have the separate check in area/elevators, too.

DEB

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
No daily charge

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I should mention: When you arrive at the Hilton Hotel there wasn't any obvious directions to the Hilton Club check-in. You have to find the correct set of elevators that go to 37th floor and then follow the signs to the Hilton Club check-in -- which is also where the breakfast and the cocktails are served and where you have Concierge services and checkout as well.

Cayuga

TUG Member
Reaction score
What size units are available at the Hilton Club?

wauhob3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cathy where did you exchange through to get the Hilton? I don't see any other NYC listings in RCI then MC? Which was closer to Time Square?

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Some info is here:

http://www.thehiltonclub.com/

I've seen Judi and Seth selling units in a points system. I know the price was less than developer, but not sure what the points represent....some Judi had (the same # of points) had differen $$ values. Seem different than other HGVC points....

The maint fees & taxes are also really high.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Candace: Exchanged thru SFX. I believe they(Hilton) are selling two bedroom units but ours was a one bedroom. It appears most units will have great views of the city unlike MC. One caveat, however. :eek: When you exchange into Hilton you only get 5 nights, not seven -- even if you are giving up seven. Sun-Thurs -- they keep the big money weekends themselves to rent out. That is Hilton's rule, not SFX. This Hilton Club puts themselves up above the other Hilton timeshares and now I see why. Units are first class. We couldn't even get a salesman to call us -- tried 3 times. Wanted to see that 2 br, but gave up. Probably because we live on West Coast -- not a good prospect.

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Do you think the owners get the full 7 days? If not...can they split mid week like 5 days and two, or 3 and 4?

Hmmm I wonder if Seth or Judi would know?

I've seen resales of some weeks (ok points I don't know what they represent) lower than the MC...but fees seem higher...and it is a RTU which I don't think the other HGVC units are.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cathyb,

That snow was something else, eh? I was at Hilton Club as well on that day, it was beautiful - for a few minutes it was like a blizzard! Our room was right next to the lounge, making snacks and "meals" extra-easy. Free food, free wi-fi as we'd brought our notebook. We had the little refrigerator full of mini-bar stuff, that we set up on the counter to make room for some left-overs and our own beverages.

My exchange was for 7 days thru RCI, even though I wasn't able to use all of them. I used a SoCal week to exchange in. Turned out that we had to leave earlier than expected for a medical emergency; the staff was very helpful. I'd exchange in again in a heartbeat.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest difference, that I didn't see anyone speak to, is the fact that Hilton is right-to-use while Manhattan Club is deeded.

I'm purchasing a 1 BR, 2 bath at MC. It's full flex with up to 3 Sat nights, and costing me well under $20,000. Because it is so very far under developer pricing, my sense is that if I want to sell it for some reason, I should get most if not all of my money back.

Yes, Hilton is more deluxe. The continental breakfast versus a kitchenette is probably a personal decision. But the fact is that if you buy a resale at the HC, it should go down in value every year - most I have seen have about 25 years left. So if you paid $20,000, what do you think it would be worth 10 years from now?

Now I'm sure many would feel that it's fine - they will be more than happy with the 25 years left and simply prefer the HC. But purely dollars and cents, not as good a deal. And for me, I was turned off by the massive activity at the Hilton and my 30+ minute wait for an elevator. I prefer the more "boutique-y" feel of the MC. But again, that's personal preference.

derb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a HGVC owner at the Flamingo. Last year I requested a studio at the Manhattan club in Dec using HGVC points(at that time you could not use HGVC point to get into the HC, might still be that way). A few months later I get a call from the hilton vacation guide and she said still no MC, would I accept a Hilton club studio. Of course I said yes. I agree HC better choice than MC, but that is not a put down on MC.