• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Point at Poipu, Kauai

Nowhere

Reaction score
I've been trying to understand what is our status at the Point at Poipu. We purchased maybe 20 years ago, went through changes in management including Embassy, Sunterra, Diamond, etc. Now I understand the property is Hilton, but we never paid to "upgrade" to join the Hilton system. We still have a floating week every year ($2,400 AM) but booking is getting more challenging since we are not Hilton. If we didn't join Hilton, does that mean we have a Hilton DRI timeshare? Is deed back to Hilton open to us even if we never joined the Hilton system? Hilton has also offered to exchange the timeshare for points (at a price).

Apologies if this is basic; I've tried to search through the Hawaii, HGV, and Diamond forums and looked at the deed back info but am still not clear on whether it applies to us and we are not familiar with timeshares. Many thanks in advance.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
If we didn't join Hilton, does that mean we have a Hilton DRI timeshare?
When Hilton bought out Diamond, DRI was re-named HVC - Hilton Vacation Club. It is a separate entity from the original "legacy" Hilton timeshare system, HGVC (Hilton Grand Vacation Club). To make it even more confusing, Hilton introduced HGV Max - Max is a sort of "gateway" between the two sytems (HGVC and HVC-formerly-DRI).

You mentioned "upgrading" - folks who spend new money in either system are enrolled in Max with the theoretical option of using their ownership in one system to book stays in the other, but only within 6 months of arrival, which isn't going to work well for popular resorts.

It sounds like you have a deeded P@P week. You still have the right to book and use that week for as long as you own it.

Nowhere

Reaction score
When Hilton bought out Diamond, DRI was re-named HVC - Hilton Vacation Club. It is a separate entity from the original "legacy" Hilton timeshare system, HGVC (Hilton Grand Vacation Club). To make it even more confusing, Hilton introduced HGV Max - Max is a sort of "gateway" between the two sytems (HGVC and HVC-formerly-DRI).

You mentioned "upgrading" - folks who spend new money in either system are enrolled in Max with the theoretical option of using their ownership in one system to book stays in the other, but only within 6 months of arrival, which isn't going to work well for popular resorts.

It sounds like you have a deeded P@P week. You still have the right to book and use that week for as long as you own it.
Thanks for the clarification- this is a lot! I think the preference at this point is just to unload this, but we were told at the resort last time that we wouldn’t be able to deed back. I wonder if we were just talking to the wrong people.. is there a separate deed back process for HVC or will the HGVC contact mentioned above be the correct place to turn? Thank you for all this info!

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
There is a 47 page pinned thread at the top of this forum about Transitions, the DRI deedback program. Post # 1 has been updated to reflect the new contact info now that it is under Hilton. The program is still active - the last page has posts from folks who have used the program in the last year or two to do a deedback.

Transitions is not free and it takes awhile. Your week does have some value, especially if the original deed is for an ocean front unit. We bought a resale P@P deed two years ago on Redweek, which is another option. Or you could give it away in TUG's Free Timeshares forum if you want faster turnaround.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP, timeshare is paid in full and now the OP cannot exchange into his home resort without upgrading to the new Hilton Max Program. Why should the OP needs to upgrade and pay extra cash in a resort. They already owned. ??/

Nowhere

Reaction score
There is a 47 page pinned thread at the top of this forum about Transitions, the DRI deedback program. Post # 1 has been updated to reflect the new contact info now that it is under Hilton. The program is still active - the last page has posts from folks who have used the program in the last year or two to do a deedback.

Transitions is not free and it takes awhile. Your week does have some value, especially if the original deed is for an ocean front unit. We bought a resale P@P deed two years ago on Redweek, which is another option. Or you could give it away in TUG's Free Timeshares forum if you want faster turnaround.
Thank you, this makes sense. I emailed the Hilton deed back contact but realize now it was the wrong place. We have one deeded floating week, no specific location. In the past we were able to get ocean front easily by booking a year in advance, but recently for some reason with Hilton, it has been harder.

Nowhere

Reaction score
The OP, timeshare is paid in full and now the OP cannot exchange into his home resort without upgrading to the new Hilton Max Program. Why should the OP needs to upgrade and pay extra cash in a resort. They already owned. ??/
Timeshare is paid in full and we can book at Poipu (the resort we have the deed for); the weeks have just somehow coincidentally become harder to book unless we pay more. We used to be able to book ocean front easily but it seems to not be available these days unless (we’ve been led to believe) we pay more.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Timeshare is paid in full and we can book at Poipu (the resort we have the deed for); the weeks have just somehow coincidentally become harder to book unless we pay more. We used to be able to book ocean front easily but it seems to not be available these days unless (we’ve been led to believe) we pay more.
We have 2 deeded weeks and haven't had any trouble booking them, but we don't always get the weeks we wanted. We can book them online at https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/ and then choose The Club and Owners (formerly Diamond Resorts). Choose My Reservations and then Book My Week.

1714777066484.png

If you prefer booking by phone, here's the number for Traditional Weeks: 1.800.463.7256 (toll free) or 1.407.226.9500 (international)

As before, you can't book more than 360 days in advance. You do not have to pay to join anything to book the way you always have. In fact, now there is and exchange program, Traditional Destination Xchange, that lets you use you week at other resorts that were associated with Diamond Resorts. You can even deposit you week in a future year if you can't use it for the given year. Your week is valuable because it is float/float, floating week and floating view category.

Nowhere

Reaction score
We have 2 deeded weeks and haven't had any trouble booking them, but we don't always get the weeks we wanted. We can book them online at https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/ and then choose The Club and Owners (formerly Diamond Resorts). Choose My Reservations and then Book My Week.

View attachment 92102

If you prefer booking by phone, here's the number for Traditional Weeks: 1.800.463.7256 (toll free) or 1.407.226.9500 (international)

As before, you can't book more than 360 days in advance. You do not have to pay to join anything to book the way you always have. In fact, now there is and exchange program, Traditional Destination Xchange, that lets you use you week at other resorts that were associated with Diamond Resorts. You can even deposit you week in a future year if you can't use it for the given year. Your week is valuable because it is float/float, floating week and floating view category.
Thank you, this is good to know. I apologize, I’m looking into this on my parents’ behalf so some of the information may have been confused. They were told unequivocally however that their week wouldn’t roll over to future years, so I wonder if maybe they were misinformed unintentionally or not. I’ve looked over all of their documents but unfortunately they don’t have a record of these conversations.

tmv

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2 original Diamond Dana Point now Hilton
I've been trying to understand what is our status at the Point at Poipu. We purchased maybe 20 years ago, went through changes in management including Embassy, Sunterra, Diamond, etc. Now I understand the property is Hilton, but we never paid to "upgrade" to join the Hilton system. We still have a floating week every year ($2,400 AM) but booking is getting more challenging since we are not Hilton. If we didn't join Hilton, does that mean we have a Hilton DRI timeshare? Is deed back to Hilton open to us even if we never joined the Hilton system? Hilton has also offered to exchange the timeshare for points (at a price).

Apologies if this is basic; I've tried to search through the Hawaii, HGV, and Diamond forums and looked at the deed back info but am still not clear on whether it applies to us and we are not familiar with timeshares. Many thanks in advance.
Have a deeded diamond, you need to make sure you sign into the Hilton Grand vacations, and like a person mention click onto the Club (old diamond owners) this is where you can search for availability of specific resorts- would recommend you call Hilton Grand vacation number customer service # they have and they can explain all to you as well/search for you as well. You will be able to exchange your week for another location . *using destination exchange (the switch costs you $179.00) your time share does have a number value to it- and the one you want has a number value also/ if yours does not match you will need to pay an additional amount for each point. i.e mine is valued at a 3 , and due to the view I wanted at Point of Poidue is valued at a 7. So I pd $225.00 per point difference. (4 ×$225.00) for oceanview 2 bedroom /2 bath and was able to due the exchange. Booked in March 2024 for June 2025. Hoping that quite a bit of the renovations will be completed ***hope that helps a bit.
**For me keeping the deeded makes more $$$ Sense then trading a deeded and buying for all points!

tmv

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2 original Diamond Dana Point now Hilton
Thank you, this is good to know. I apologize, I’m looking into this on my parents’ behalf so some of the information may have been confused. They were told unequivocally however that their week wouldn’t roll over to future years, so I wonder if maybe they were misinformed unintentionally or not. I’ve looked over all of their documents but unfortunately they don’t have a record of these conversations.
If you have deeded old diamond and dont use your week in that time frame , yes you will lose a that week. But if you use your destination exchange and deposit it (think that cost is $169.00 to hold time)you have a week that you can switch within 5yrs. ***you might even have destination exchange linked to your account, as mine a couple of yrs ago - $0.00 charge for 7 yrs. You just pay for to be held, and then again when you want to use a $169.00 for the use of another.

Nowhere

Reaction score
Have a deeded diamond, you need to make sure you sign into the Hilton Grand vacations, and like a person mention click onto the Club (old diamond owners) this is where you can search for availability of specific resorts- would recommend you call Hilton Grand vacation number customer service # they have and they can explain all to you as well/search for you as well. You will be able to exchange your week for another location . *using destination exchange (the switch costs you $179.00) your time share does have a number value to it- and the one you want has a number value also/ if yours does not match you will need to pay an additional amount for each point. i.e mine is valued at a 3 , and due to the view I wanted at Point of Poidue is valued at a 7. So I pd $225.00 per point difference. (4 ×$225.00) for oceanview 2 bedroom /2 bath and was able to due the exchange. Booked in March 2024 for June 2025. Hoping that quite a bit of the renovations will be completed ***hope that helps a bit.
**For me keeping the deeded makes more $$$ Sense then trading a deeded and buying for all points!
Thank you, I did just call and got a thorough explanation. Confirmed that it is an annual floating week/floating location. Our week at Poipu is only available for a 12-month term, but once deposited in Destination Xchange, we have 5 years to use it (as you mentioned). Unfortunately we haven’t had much luck with using the exchange weeks because the locations and times haven’t worked out for us. We will likely proceed with Transitions because the AM is a bit steep to justify.

FunnyFarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point @ Poipu, Lawai Beach Resort, MROP/VRI, Worldmark
One thing to mote. If you are on the monthly mainynance payment plan you cannot book on line as it will show your maininance is not paid. You will need to call in to a CSR to book without any problem. The is a tiny possibility that some online people got ahead of you for your preferred week if they went online before the phones open in the am.