• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

POINTS 101 - help!

Corky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seriouly considering buying points resale but my non-math mind can't wrap itself around calculating the best deal re: MF plus number of pts, plus cost of resale/closing.

From reading some of the posts, I believe the main concern should be yearly MF in relationship to number of pts. Is that correct?

I'd appreciate any help for the math impaired. This is why, to date, I only own weeks.

Thanks.

Corky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, could anyone tell me the advantage of buying RCI points vs. Wyndham points? Thanks.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Also, could anyone tell me the advantage of buying RCI points vs. Wyndham points? Thanks.
With RCI points, you are buying a resort which has an agreement with RCI. You then can reserve a week at your home resort during the "home resort reservation period". Or your week will be deposited into RCI points. If the resort "rating" doesn't change then your week will receive a set number of RCI points which can be used to make RCI exchange requests at any RCI resort.

BUT an exchange will only happen when someone from the resort you wants deposits a week you want. If a week isn't deposited for exchange you don't go anywhere.

With Wyndham (Fairfield -FF) : You must buy a FF week which is in FSP (Fairshare Plus), The number of points your week is worth is fixed and will not change. You can then use your FSP pts to reserve at your home resort about 12 months before your travel date. OR at 9 months before travel, you can use your FSP points to reserve at any FF resort which has an opening. You do not need to wait for someone to deposit the week. If there is an opening and you have enough points, the week is yours.

Caution:: Just because the resort is in RCI points or a FF resorts doesn't mean that it is in the points system ( either RCI points or FSP points) If you want to be in points, make sure the week you're buying is already in points. The cost to convert a non point week to points can be 2-3 times ( or more) than the cost to buy the week.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI Points does not charge you a reservation fee for ONLY your Home Week (your underlying week) booked during the Home Week Reservation Period (13-12 months out). Home Resort Reservation Period (12-11 months out) has a $40 fee. Outside of that 2 month period, all other 7 night transaction cost your $164 reservation fee (lower number of nights, fee is less; BUT, the resort you are booking into might charge you at checkout a "cleaning charge", as they have to reset the unit for another exchanger. Bill4728 is very correct in that unless a week is available from another RCI Points owner, it will NOT be in the Points system.

Now, Wyndham - Bill4728 is correct that at MOST resorts, all weeks are in the Points pool. Some Wyndham resorts still have fixed week owners, who are NOT part of the UDI/Points system ... but at this point, they are a small minority within Wyndham. For every 77,000 points you own, you get one reservation transaction and 77,000 housekeeping credits. If you need more of either of these, you must buy then as you book your reservation using a credit card.

You use a reservation transaction every "day" you book a reservation or deposit to RCI/II or transfer points to another member ... so plan several bookings on one day.

Housekeeping credits are used based on the size unit you book; 2bdr requires more HK than a studio. But it is NOT based on number of days - 2 days is the same as 7 days and 10 days is 2 times the 7 day "cost".

Home resort booking advantage is from 13-12-11 month out, but VIPs (full developer price high point owners) can book at 12-11 month out. Red time at resorts mainly require a 7 day booking starting (mostly) on Fri and Sat (and Sun). That rule can be altered if, you are travelling multiple resorts with consecative nights and it adds up to 7 or more nights (don't know about HK credits, reservations transactions can be gotten around by booking all in one day).

Those are some of the differences. Wyndham point charts for usage at each particular resort is in granite when it is opened (UDI-undivided interest as that is how the deed is described). So generally, older resorts are "cheap" point eaters to stay there, but then HK get used faster. New resorts have "Point Inflation" happening to cost you more to stay (old pt resort154,000 for 2bdr, newer resort 203,000 for 2bdr, newest resort 289,000 for 2bdr). You can bank points only throught planning far in advance for $; but you can borrow using a reservation transaction. Can transfer HK credits too when grabbing points. Reservation transactions are $49 each. HK credits ??? (Wyndham seems to increase this regulary), but they can add up to real money quickly. Use years start (based on deed) either Jan1, Apr1, Jul1 or Oct1. Cancelled reservations/changes use Reservation Transactions (or loss of $$), but HK credits are returned. (Unless you cancel 15 or fewer days before checkin, then you lose all).

RCI Points points charts can just be changed by RCI, and your week deposit value of points is changed and points to book into a resort changes. Use year starts the month after you set up your RCI Points account and I think, with each new points deposit (that is the one that drives me :confused: :shrug: :wall: )

Both have online computer systems, to book and check availability. Wyndham's reservation/availability/financial has limited hours (M-F 8 to 10PM) with weekends/holidays less except at the year end when it shuts down. RCI tends to close once a month on a Sat night.

OKAY? IMHO, buy where the resort you want to vacation at 4 out of 5 years, learning that one system before buy a week of Wyndham pts here and a week of RCI points there and a DVC and etc. You won't master any system to best use its strong advantages and avoid its weakness in the TS world.

Corky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Bill and Linda. You've given me plenty to think about. I'll be re-reading your posts over and over before making a decision.

Aside from the costs, which shouldn't be more than .01 per point, the most important thing is to buy where I want to vacation. Is that it? Same as with weeks.

I still don't understand the housekeeping part. Weeks owners don't pay that. Do the housekeeping credits come along with the pts package? If I stay one week, rather than a long weekend, do I still have to pay for housekeeping? Is that true for both systems?

Thanks again.

Corky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thought of another question. I've seen eBay auctions selling Wyndham "deeded UDI points" and others selling just "deeded points." Is there an important difference?

By buying points, am I automatically enrolled in FSP, even though it is resale?

Again, thank you.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Housekeeping 101

RCI Points units are still located in resorts where they are deeded weeks. HOA collected maintenance fees to pay for the costs of operating the resort, where only once a week every unit is "reset"/cleaned for a new owner to use their vacation time. When RCI Points was approved by a HOA, additional costs are incurred by guests staying less than 7 nights. The maximum reset figure could be 7 times, one after every nightly stay. RCI can not collected a figure for each individual HOA when accepting reservations from its members nor should you, the technical owner of that deeded week, be giving a nice surprise bill for guests that RCI booked into your unit. So, each "guest" gets to pay for the priviledge of a short stay directly to the resort they are using (my RCI points resort charges $39 to each short stay for the reset ==> IMO, way too little for a reset on a 2bdr/2 bth with 4 individual beds).

Now for Wyndham ... I went and got my member's directory. HK points are only 1 for every 1,000 FSP Points (just off on the decimals). The size units and HK required for EACH stay is a whole multiple of 7 nights stay:
Studios require 28 HK
1bdr require 63HK
2bdr require 77HK
3bdr require 140HK
4bdr require 154HK

Wyndham doesn't care how many points it costs to "rent" the unit; they are assuming a fixed cleaning costs. So new resorts, which cost 288,000 points for 2 bdr will only eat up 77HK, leaving the Wyndham owner with 211 HK available for other stays. Wyndham also has discounts (Resort Special available to all owners to increase occupancy - Palm Aire in July has 30% off the points needed on all units for new bookings, HK credits needed are NOT discount/changed.

HK can be purchased (at the time of printing, I think it went up for 2008) each for $1.50. So, my RCI Points unit would get $115.50 for each cleaning, not the super low $39, based on $1.50 x 77 (housekeeping credits).

Wyndham can do this as they are ONE company collecting and distributing the money among its under 200 resorts.

FSP - Fairshare Plus is the official name of the points system. Deed, nonconverted weeks are NOT part of FSP. Resale points contracts are part of (and billed for this feature, as a separate line item) FSP. Resales are NOT part of Plus Partners or the VIP program ...

Deeded points/Deeded UDI points would be identical, IMHO. Fixed (or floating) week, converted to UDI points is NOT - as your HOME resort priority is limited to the actual fixed week (or the original float week period). So a converted fixed week 26 in a Florida could NOT use ARP to reserve a winter week 7; could reserve during starting 10 months out, along with everone else in the Wyndham points system.

scubababe72

Reaction score
Aside from the costs, which shouldn't be more than .01 per point, the most important thing is to buy where I want to vacation. Is that it? Same as with weeks.

Hi Corky,

We bought RCI pure points, which then doesnt give you a home resort, as you have no deeded weeks in the system. We have no intention of ever visiting the club where we bought the points from (its a Golf Club the other side of the UK) but it was by far the cheapest. So I'd advise considering the price first, not where it is.

Scubababe72

Last edited by a moderator:

Corky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Linda and Scubaba.

I think I'll do more researh before jumping into points. Not sure I want to have to juggle the this & that extra charges that seem to be associated with points.

rsonc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Allegro, Melia, VI Resorts
Hi Corky,

I just purchased a RCI Points 3 year lease to allow me to get into points cheap and then at the end of 3 years if I dont like it I can walk away and not have to try and sell my membership. If you like it you can renew the contract for another $99.00 for another 3 years.

I found it in the TUG ads and I think this is the correct link http://www.tug1.org/tugads/0-10dprice1.html#ad56088

I liked that it is a US points resorts and they have in the contact that you will never be charged an assessment fee which I thought was great too.

I don't know anything on FF but thought I would pass this on as points as an option instead of purchasing an overseas points resort.

Susan

Bill4728

Reaction score
Hi Corky,

I just purchased a RCI Points 3 year lease to allow me to get into points cheap and then at the end of 3 years if I dont like it I can walk away and not have to try and sell my membership. If you like it you can renew the contract for another $99.00 for another 3 years.

Susan
One of the biggest troubles with a TS ownership is if and when you want to end your ownership, you need to sell it. Sometimes it isn't too hard (with a Marrriott or Westin in Hawaii) but most of the time it can be difficult to sell your TS. That is the biggest reason to try the RCI point lease. Try it for 3 years and if you find it isn't for you walk away.

One other thing about the lease. IMHO, buy enough points to make good use of the package. The biggest mistake which people make when they buy "points" is thay buy too few and their options of where and when they want to vacation are very limited because of that. One reason they do buy too few is they buy from the developer and it cost soo much to buy enough they just don't buy enough. But if you buy resale that really shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Thought of another question. I've seen eBay auctions selling Wyndham "deeded UDI points" and others selling just "deeded points." Is there an important difference?

By buying points, am I automatically enrolled in FSP, even though it is resale?

Again, thank you.

The difference between deeded vs deeded UDI is that with:

Deeded, your deed will be tied to a single week and room at the resort ( ex Unit 405 week 19) Which is likely to be for accounting purposes only.

UDI (undivided interest) means that your deed is tied to the entire resort and instead of owning 1/52 of one unit, you'll own something like 1/20,000 of the whole resort.

Hope that helps.

Corky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Susan and Bill.

I'll look into leasing as an option vs. buying points. Any downside?

What is "too few" points? What would too many be for a newbie?

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Corky-
Don't get me wrong about the Wyndham system and its points. As an internal trading minisystem, the resorts are very nice, the staff is highly trained to be pleasant & helpful and the properties are very well maintain. And it is perhaps the largest in number of resorts and states, plus they keep building more places.

Most of us here at TUGs are detailed experts figuring out how to micro manage and maximize our vacation dollar. This is like a hobby in many ways. I don't worry about housekeeping credits (and I end up with extra HK every year). I transfer points to other family members or straight out give them vacation retreats. Reservation transactions are fine as long as I reserve 2 or more activities about half the time.

IMHO, rent a couple of TS off the last minute rental board, get a feel for the different resorts or buildings or systems, and whether you even like going on TS vacations. Seems to be some great vacations around with the economic conditions as they are.:)

Corky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Linda.

I am familiar with timesharing and own a few fixed/floating weeks. Love the New England area and try to buy within driving distance as flying is too expensive for me.

I'm just uncertain about learning/mastering the points system, and wondering if it is even worth it. I'd like to get more than one vacation a year out of my MF, and am able to travel off season thanks to working part time, which should mean less points needed.

jh928

TUG Member
Reaction score
Susan (or anyone else),
I can't seem to find the tug ad you referenced. Is it still posted? Better yet, do you have another source for the points lease deal?

Thanks!
Jennifer

Hi Corky,

I found it in the TUG ads and I think this is the correct link http://www.tug1.org/tugads/0-10dprice1.html#ad56088

I liked that it is a US points resorts and they have in the contact that you will never be charged an assessment fee which I thought was great too.

I don't know anything on FF but thought I would pass this on as points as an option instead of purchasing an overseas points resort.

Susan

rsonc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Allegro, Melia, VI Resorts
I could not find the ad on tug but here is the same ad posted on timeshare forum.com

http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/classifieds/viewad-192.html

they were very fast and set up my account.

Since I own several timeshares and will be using them for PFD I went with the entry level points, if you dont have a lot of "weeks resorts" to deposit into the account then I would look at at least the 63k points

TIA
Susan