• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Portland Maine and nearby area places to eat.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Headed off to South Portland next weekend. Love seafood,steak and BBQ. Prefer casual over 4 course fine dining. Enjoyed Ogunquit and Camden last year.

Welcome all recomendations as well as things to do other than Kittery and Freeport outlet shops as we are familiar with those two areas. Love the beach,fairs,walk around places and nice flea markets.

If anyone else is headed that way Camden has the Windjammer Festival Weekend and one can hop onboard to tour the ships. We went last year.

Thanks so much!

Detailor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try DiMillo's on Long Wharf in the Old Port area of Portland. The restaurant is a converted ferry boat that's docked in the harbor. The DiMillo family has had restaurants in Portland for about 50 years and the floating restaurant has been there for around 30 years. Excellent seafood restaurant just down the hill from a terrific neighbor of shops and other restaurants.

Dick Taylor

SBK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to live in Portland. One of our favorite places was the Great Lost Bear. My husband is a lover of beers and this place has many on draft, loads of bottled beers and an unusual, inexpensive menu. Good for young and old alike.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-5964468-great_lost_bear_portland-i

Parking is a little difficult so park on one of the side streets across the street. They have a nice enclosed patio too for outside dining. It's a little outside the main part of the city, but not hard to find. Just take 302 North.

Another casual place is on Commercial St (Waterfront) It's all the way at the opposite end of town from the ferry terminal, called Three Dollar Deweys. There you sit on long benches at huge picnic style tables.

Don't miss Gilbert's Chowder House for fantastic chowders - not just clam chowder. Also, there's the Dry Dock. Both are near the ferry terminal on Commercial.

All of these places are very casual.

One big recommendation. Take a ferry ride. Relatively inexpensive entertainment. Check the schedule and either do a circuit (there are several to chose from) or get off and explore some of the islands on Casco Bay. Just remember that you'll need to catch a ferry back and some of the islands have somewhat limited service.

Have fun.

Sue

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Thanks Everyone. I am getting hungry thinking about all this food.

I do plan on a harbor cruise. I know in Rockport area you can take one to see seals,puffins etc. Windjammer Weekend there are excursions. I am not sure how far up the coast we will drive.

Any suggestions are welcome. Someone at work mentioned a place called The Steakhouse in Wells Maine.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned to HHI last night from a wonderful 10 days in Maine. We had a great visit with our daughter's family in Cape Elizabeth and also spent a few days in Camden and Bar Harbor. Camden is a little spot of heaven on earth. We enjoy Bull Finey's pub in Old Port along with Gilbert's chowder and a great pizza place that is located directly on the water in Old Port. I can't remember the name but it is directly beside the place where the ferry goes out. We'll be back in November when grandbaby 2 arrives. We returned to high 90's and high humidity. We thought fall had arrived!!

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Thanks to all. We ate at Gilberts in Portland and had wonderful seafood chowder. Weather was awful rainy- no sun,hence no boat ride either. We enjoy Ogunquit quite a lot and walking around the cobblestones street in Portland. Lots of shops and bistros. Bread and Roses Bakery in Ogunquit is awesome and so is the beach. There is a gourmet grocer next door to the bakery.

Old Orchard Beach is being redone,new condos etc but the pier is just awful,no more caramel corn vendor from my childhood days. It is clean ,has some rides, beach was clean and so was the area but I wouldn't go back. It does have all those awful Tshirt stores with crude sayings printed in the windows for tots and preteens to see. It has lost the charm from my youth.

Shopped a bit at Kittery Outlets including Lindt Chocolate outlet...yummy!

In the Portland "Old Port "area please do go to Stonewall Kitchen. I am not a jam person per se but it is so delicious I bought three varieties and they have dips and other goodies. The main store was on route 1 somewhere but we did not stop.

http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/navdepartment.aspx?L0=SpecialtyFoods

Do not ever go to Portland Marketplace in the city,advertised food vendors and Maine goods.. It is in an area with seedy characters and also looks run down inside. Ads are not what they seem. We attempted this two years in a row and won't be back.

Each Labor Day as you leave the state of Maine, the toll booth workers handout gifts as a thank you for visiting their state. A few dress up in Lobster,Moose and Bear outfits and wave goodbye to the tourists. This year they handed out a 2007 Farmers Almanac to each driver. I forgot what they handed out last year but what a nice gesture. Pretty impressed with it.

Last edited: