• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

reliable timing of HGVC promos other than Bl Friday?

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
2 wks back from Hawaii, the 8 nights on Oahu we booked, USING 30% OFF FOR BL FRI, for late Feb begins to approach, reminding me:
are there any other yrly Promos HGVC runs that reliably come at a predictable time?
I searched HGVC section but no cigar

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
One from May 2021: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/a...der-and-hokulani-waikiki.319023/#post-2809758

One from Dec 2022: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/h...ndo-40-off-january-dates.347288/#post-2879448

The 2023 BF One: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/2023-hgvc-black-friday-deals-coming-11-21.358474/#post-2997876
That one has links to the other BF Promo’s (2020, 2021 and 2022)

One from Jan 2023: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/25-promo.348125/

There may be others beyond these. I have taken advantage of the the last two BF promo’s for Orlando and saved a bunch of points. This year I have 3 – 3BR’s and a Studio that I’ve booked using the promo. The Studio ends up costing me $23/night, and the 3BR’s anywhere from $60-$100/night.

I think the one one May 2021 was driven more by Covid and the BF one's seem to be the most consistent. YMMV

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Thanks very much. What search did you do to find so much? Is there a complex Boolean search function that I just haven't tried or are you just more dedicated at going thru pages of search results than I am or what else? (I just noticed I can use the Where-To-Search = This Forum function better)
but sounds like BF is the only really reliable one to time.
Steely Dan: "When Black Friday comes ...

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks very much. What search did you do to find so much? Is there a complex Boolean search function that I just haven't tried or are you just more dedicated at going thru pages of search results than I am or what else? (I just noticed I can use the Where-To-Search = This Forum function better)
but sounds like BF is the only really reliable one to time.
Steely Dan: "When Black Friday comes ...

I went to the main page of the HGVC Forum and input Promo into the search box and searched "This forum". I had either started or participated in most of them, so I knew what I was looking for. A bunch of other Threads came up but I could scroll through pretty easily.

I struggle with the search function on FlyerTalk and most times just do a Google search using "Whatever I am searching for & FlyerTalk". That usually comes up with better results than the website search function.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
what is the reason HGVC offers point promos? are these units/weeks/resorts which aren't filling?

are these promos more common or widespread than pre pandemic?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
what is the reason HGVC offers point promos? are these units/weeks/resorts which aren't filling?

are these promos more common or widespread than pre pandemic?
NYC in January - March seems common. Max seems to have much more frequent discounts such as Cable Azul in the shoulder and low seasons - the point chart there is platinum all year so that has to be how they manage demand for lower seasons.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i noticed a lot in Hawaii for Jan to Mar , which i guess is low season because it's not a school holiday, but as soon as my kids fly the coop (or maybe before) we will be all over that!

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
i noticed a lot in Hawaii for Jan to Mar , which i guess is low season because it's not a school holiday, but as soon as my kids fly the coop (or maybe before) we will be all over that!
I was all over it last Black Friday so we're going back late Feb to early March. We were thinking maybe we'd go to Miami Bch, but hey, flights from CA are better to HI anyways, so yeah, give me 30% off to HI. Unexpected part is that the 30% off gives me a small amount of HGVC pts remaining that I guess would expire so to stop them from expiring that may accelerate booking a 2025 week somewhere.
"what is the reason HGVC offers point promos?" ... Why does any company offer any "special" for any product / service? Half dozen reasons, mostly Inventory Management & Customer Segmentation. also something to MARKET to keep people interested, turn 1-off buyers into repeats. the last one surely less necessary for a product that has a yr-after-yr commitment to a deed, but an existing HGVC customer may notice the BF specials and say "Hey, I should buy another deed just for points to use every Black Friday." I know that thought crossed my mind ... and it may happen ...

muscae

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara, Sunrise, Trump, Seaworld
Since moving over to MAX on the last possible opt in date for a qualifying purchase, I have always seen promos available in MAX with as much as 70% off points. I've done a 2BR in vegas for under 3000 points for one week.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was all over it last Black Friday so we're going back late Feb to early March. We were thinking maybe we'd go to Miami Bch, but hey, flights from CA are better to HI anyways, so yeah, give me 30% off to HI. Unexpected part is that the 30% off gives me a small amount of HGVC pts remaining that I guess would expire so to stop them from expiring that may accelerate booking a 2025 week somewhere.
"what is the reason HGVC offers point promos?" ... Why does any company offer any "special" for any product / service? Half dozen reasons, mostly Inventory Management & Customer Segmentation. also something to MARKET to keep people interested, turn 1-off buyers into repeats. the last one surely less necessary for a product that has a yr-after-yr commitment to a deed, but an existing HGVC customer may notice the BF specials and say "Hey, I should buy another deed just for points to use every Black Friday." I know that thought crossed my mind ... and it may happen ...
it's definitely less obvious logically since we already own the product. if anything it's a way to get something for free after the sunk cost of purchasing and MFs. if anything it seems they would discourage us from using, then they could put extra inventory on Hilton and make cash? like we went to liberty place a year ago for a net of $75 per night, and they were selling the same rooms on Hilton for $600. Wouldn't they have preferred we not use our points?

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
"we went to liberty place a year ago for a net of $75 per night, and they were selling the same rooms on Hilton for $600"
This is called Customer Segmentation. Sure, they're willing to Manage Inventory by selling a few rooms for $100 to a (self-)select group of people, but the price they want the masses to have in mind is $600 & the price they want all "discounts" to come off of is $600.
a) Setting a Price Level
b) Segmenting customers so you try to not leave profit on the table in most transactions
c) Create repeat (loyal) customers
d) yes, a deed creates repeat customers but the whole strategy still mostly pertains
e) "Other Benefits", some TS companies seem to charge MFs to new (resale) owners even if they don't actually have points to use in that initial yr. Why? "Well, you're getting the benefit of all our "other benefits" like "LastCall", Black Friday deals, whatever

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i do understand that psychology, but objectively $75 for that room is a steal. what i don't know is whether they could sell any rooms for any price at hilton.

i just don't see how they gain anything tangible from folks who already have sunk costs. it's all very hand wavey. i'm not complaining at all just curious what's in it for them.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
all very hand wavey
Gold Medal. You just described "Marketing".
do understand that psychology
Psychology. Gold Medal. You just gave the foundation of "Marketing"
just don't see how they gain anything tangible
Well, the results of hand-wavey are tangible. The process hand-wavery. Plus, Inventory Management is a tangible process. I think you can assure yourself that the resorts were incl in the "Deals" had more avaibility than HGVC guesstimated it could sell at full price by those dates

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i do understand that psychology, but objectively $75 for that room is a steal. what i don't know is whether they could sell any rooms for any price at hilton.

i just don't see how they gain anything tangible from folks who already have sunk costs. it's all very hand wavey. i'm not complaining at all just curious what's in it for them.

One thing that might be in play here is driving traffic to some resorts during quiet periods to keep staffing levels up for busier times.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
true i wondered about impact on staffing

and am sure they could not fill/sell out that hotel in december at list prices

(btw Liberty Place wasn't on sale, it was just midweek off season). but how do they move inventory back and forth with Hilton? do they make their best estimate based on prior year booking patterns etc and then if they retained too much in HGVC they issue a sale to try to fill them?

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score

The other Hilton properties in the immediate vicinity of Liberty Place leave a lot to be desired, and are still really expensive for what you get. Some non-owners may opt to pay out of pocket to stay at Liberty Place just because the nearest Hilton (Embassy Suites at the old Citadel) is still expensive and a DUMP, the adjacent Hampton not much better. At least Liberty Place is expensive and nice.