• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting a "Home Resort" and impact of combining/banking SO from multiple mandatory resorts

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that any SO reservation is also going to have a $59 guest certificate fee. So if there is a fee, then technically one would not be renting their home resort reservation.
This is mostly true, but not all the time. Not all owners pay to change a name. Don't remember the exact rule now, I believe you only pay if you are changing the name for a non network week. Or is it that you get one name change per year per network you own?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The rule is that you have to pay a fee for Staroption reservations, except for 5 Star Elite Owner, and they get free guest confirmations - 1 per deed.

There is no Guest Confirmation fee for Home Resort Reservations - we successfully knocked that down when Vistana tried to implement it several months ago.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification/reminder.

So this benefit of one change per deed does not extend to all owners, not even 4*?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I stand corrected - both 4 and 5 Star owners get free confirmations: Here is the original letter, that Vistana sent to Elite Owners -
Dear Elite Owner,

Recently you received an email about the application of a third-party guest fee for members of the Vistana Signature Network (VSN). We’d like to provide additional information to help answer any questions you may have.

Most notably, you will not be charged the fee to transfer your reservation to a third-party guest during the Home Resort Reservation Period (12–8 months prior to arrival).

The fee only applies to a third-party guest reservation booked within the VSN Network Float Period or the VSN Network Priority Period starting at eight months prior to arrival. Our intent is to ensure all Owners have a fair opportunity to secure reservations at VSN villa resorts during this period.

Once the fee has been applied to a specific reservation, any further name changes to that reservation will not incur an additional fee. Third-party guests include friends and family members not listed on the ownership deed or contract.

As a valued Four- or Five-Star Elite Member, you receive one complimentary third-party guest reservation transfer per each Elite-qualifying Vacation Ownership Interest annually.

Please contact Elite Special Services at 888-786-3548 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
suzanne_clark_sig.png

Suzanne Clark
Vice President, Owner Services
Vistana Signature Experiences

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I seemed to recall something about 4*...

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, Helios. The confirmation statement from Vistana, when you make a reservation, clearly states that

Rental of units reserved using StarOptions® (other than a vacation period at your Home Resort) is prohibited.

I don't see any ambiguity in that statement. If you are using a vacation period at your home resort, whether through Staroptions from that resort or a home resort reservation, you can rent it. If you are using Staroptions from any other resort to exchange into it (even if you also own a different interval at that resort) you cannot rent that reservation.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree with you, Helios. The confirmation statement from Vistana, when you make a reservation, clearly states that

Rental of units reserved using StarOptions® (other than a vacation period at your Home Resort) is prohibited.

I don't see any ambiguity in that statement. If you are using a vacation period at your home resort, whether through Staroptions from that resort or a home resort reservation, you can rent it. If you are using Staroptions from any other resort to exchange into it (even if you also own a different interval at that resort) you cannot rent that reservation.
What if I own a studio in Hawaii and enough StarOptions at SVV to book a 2BR unit anywhere and use those SVV Options to book a 2BR in Hawaii and rent it. Is that allowed based on the above statement? That is where the ambiguity comes in.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
What if I own a studio in Hawaii and enough StarOptions at SVV to book a 2BR unit anywhere and use those SVV Options to book a 2BR in Hawaii and rent it. Is that allowed based on the above statement? That is where the ambiguity comes in.
You could only rent the studio portion because that is what you own in Hawaii. The other part of the lock off, 1 bedroom, would be personal use.
Markus

skibummer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV x5 (Scottsdale)
WLR x3 (Cancun)
SVV-Bella x2 (Orlando)
WMH x2 (Palm Springs)
WNORVK (Maui)
Chairman’s Club
I thought the whole discussion earlier in this thread determined even if you own at let's say WKV (a 2 bdr platinum) and you have enough SVV SO to exchange into the same 2 bedroom at WKV (same example as above) you can't rent it even though you own the same week and type and season...now I'm totally confused. How is that different than the previous example where you say he can rent off his SVV SO resi the same size that he owns in Hawaii (studio)??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
skibummer - First of all, these are just opinions based on Tugger's interpretations of rather vague rules.

These are the opinions that have been expressed:

If you own at resort A, and use Staroptions from resort A, to make a reservation at resort A, you can rent it.

If you own at resort A and B, and use Staroptions from resort A, to make a reservation at resort B, you cannot rent it.​

There are also people on TUG that express the opinion that you cannot rent any Staroption reservations, regardless of the source of the Staroptions.

Again - these are opinions.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise,

The statement printed on the reservation confirmation is pretty clear and indicates what you wrote.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Henry - I am just listing the different opinions that have been posted on TUG.

There are some owners who are adamant that NO Staroption reservations can ever be rented. (Where are you Dave?)

Just reviewing the history of this topic on TUG, for new comers.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score

That would not be allowed. You could only rent the studio in Hawaii, booked with its corresponding Staroptions. You could not use Staroptions from anywhere else to reserve different sized units and then rent them out. You could not use Staroptions from anywhere else to reserve a second studio to rent out.

It really isn't complicated. You can only rent what you own at a specific location. Using Staroptions from other locations to rent out is not allowed.

The statement in the confirmation you get when you make a reservation is not ambiguous. It indicates renal of units reserved with Staroptions is prohibited, except at your home resort.

Owning at multiple resorts has nothing to do with this. You can only rent what you own at a given resort. Once that vacation interval is used up, you cannot rent out units there reserved with Staroptions from other resorts. You would not be reserving at the home resort associated with those options.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Markus said it well. SOs from another resort (SVV in this case) cannot be used to reserve and rent in Hawaii.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the whole discussion earlier in this thread determined even if you own at let's say WKV (a 2 bdr platinum) and you have enough SVV SO to exchange into the same 2 bedroom at WKV (same example as above) you can't rent it even though you own the same week and type and season...now I'm totally confused. How is that different than the previous example where you say he can rent off his SVV SO resi the same size that he owns in Hawaii (studio)??
The difference is the source of the SOs you are using for the reservation. Vistana can track this easily and you can assign them when you make the reservation. I think the SOs source should be visible at all times but it is not for owners after the reservation is confirmed (you can call and ask). Non Hawaii SOs (this, of course, is resort specific not state specific) cannot be used to reserve and rent in Hawaii.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
skibummer - First of all, these are just opinions based on Tugger's interpretations of rather vague rules.

These are the opinions that have been expressed:

If you own at resort A, and use Staroptions from resort A, to make a reservation at resort A, you can rent it.

If you own at resort A and B, and use Staroptions from resort A, to make a reservation at resort B, you cannot rent it.​

There are also people on TUG that express the opinion that you cannot rent any Staroption reservations, regardless of the source of the Staroptions.

Again - these are opinions.

I agree with this, these are just opinions.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my experience, if I own unit type X in season Y at resort Z and make a reservation past 8 months for this exact combination and call to change the name in the reservation I have been reminded that I cannot rent a unit in a season and resort I don't own. I acknowledge that and we are good. I cannot believe I am going against the rules, as presented to me in writing or via the phone, just because I did not reserve what I own before 8 months of arrival.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It really isn't complicated. You can only rent what you own at a specific location. Using Staroptions from other locations to rent out is not allowed.

The statement in the confirmation you get when you make a reservation is not ambiguous. It indicates renal of units reserved with Staroptions is prohibited, except at your home resort.

Owning at multiple resorts has nothing to do with this. You can only rent what you own at a given resort. Once that vacation interval is used up, you cannot rent out units there reserved with Staroptions from other resorts. You would not be reserving at the home resort associated with those options.
Looks clear to me...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now, for some controversy...

What if you own unit type X in season Y at resort Z and reserve unit type X (or another unit smaller than yours) in season A (or another season lower than yours) at resort Z and make a reservation past 8 months and want to rent it...:eek:...That's the potential loop hole. You are Paying MFs to resort Z but you are not renting what you own. I believe this should not be done...

wow, sometimes I crack myself up...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hawaii and Harborside are the strongest rentals, and this could happen at Harborside, but not Hawaii, since Hawaii has no seasons.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii and Harborside are the strongest rentals, and this could happen at Harborside, but not Hawaii, since Hawaii has no seasons.
Correct (partially), because there is no seasonality variation in Hawaii (points wise). Having said, how about if you own a 2 BRLO OFD and you have 176,700 SOs to reserve at the resort. You make a studio resie after 8 months (which is non OF) and rent it. You are not only making an SO resie and renting it, but you are also using your points to rent a unit for less than the points your unit generates, you make a buck (profit), and keep some SOs in your pocket...wow...:ponder:

While other resorts may not be strong rentals my example could happen at ALL other resorts and you would still be renting for a profit (not a good one but still a profit). You can own a 3 BR in WSJ in Plat+ season and rent a studio during 4th of July (mid season or low depending on the phase) an make a decent profit, you could own a 2BRLO at WRF during ski season and rent a studio during 4th of July week and again make a profit...So, in mind the opportunity for this to happen is very likely at may resort, perhaps all. Any time someone can generate more $ than their MFs is a profit and opens the door for this to happen.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No but Hawaii now has views so you could take 7 nights of non ocean front and reserve fewer nights of ocean front which might be a stronger rental.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
No but Hawaii now has views so you could take 7 nights of non ocean front and reserve fewer nights of ocean front which might be a stronger rental.
exactly my point...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Short stays in Hawaii do not rent well - it's not a short stay destination.
WSJ is not as strong of a rental as you would think - it doesn't have the broad appeal that Hawaii and HRA have.
Ski weeks are not as strong as prime weeks in Hawaii and HRA.

skibummer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV x5 (Scottsdale)
WLR x3 (Cancun)
SVV-Bella x2 (Orlando)
WMH x2 (Palm Springs)
WNORVK (Maui)
Chairman’s Club
Markus said it well. SOs from another resort (SVV in this case) cannot be used to reserve and rent in Hawaii.
Reread the proposed question and Markus' reply (I did 3 time to make sure I read him correctly) he actually stated to dioxide45 since he owns a studio in Hawaii and uses SVV SO to reserve a 2 bdr in Hawaii he COULD rent out the studio but not the adjoining 1 bdr since he didn't own that as well. That seems like it shouldn't be allowed since he stated the SO originated from SVV. Not sure if you misread the question, but the answer that he CAN rent a Hawaii studio booked with SVV SO seems incorrect. All Home resort resi can be rented (all agree), resi booked at home resort via SO less than 8 months out (TUG members differ on interpretation), SO used from another resort can't be rented as it's against the rules (seems obvious). Is this the distillation of the thread?