• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting Starwood timeshares

ckelly14

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are frequent Starwood travelers (4 seperate Starwood credit cards for work/personal). We really enjoyed staying at the Westin Princeville resort, but thought the 1 bedroom was a bit small for my family. We are considering the Lagunamar resort for a trip to Mexico but can only book a studio at this time using StarPOINTS. Anyone know when and if 1 bdr (or larger) accomodations will be available for Starpoints? Is there any other way to directly rent Starwood resorts other than the official channels (i.e. rent Staroptions from owners, like Disney Vacation Club?).

Thanks

Last edited:

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are frequent Starwood travelers (4 seperate Starwood credit cards for work/personal). We really enjoyed staying at the Westin Princeville resort, but thought the 1 bedroom was a bit small for my family. We are considering the Lagunamar resort for a trip to Mexico but can only book a studio at this time using StarPOINTS. Anyone know when and if 1 bdr (or larger) accomodations will be available for Starpoints? Is there any other way to directly rent Starwood resorts other than the official channels (i.e. rent Staroptions from owners, like Disney Vacation Club?).

Thanks

Have you tried vrbo.com?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
From my experience, when you try to book with Starpoints the website will always show you the smallest unit. If you want a larger unit (e.g., "suite," which is what i would classify the 1BR timeshare) you need to call on the phone. Have you tried that?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can rent any size unit from any owner at the resort, or any Starwood owner with available Staroptions. The owner can make a reservation in your name and have the resort send you an official confirmation. There is usually lots of availability.

Last edited:

ckelly14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks. I did call but they said 1bdr was not available yet. I will try the VRBO and any other sites you could think of. May need to by that SVO timeshare after all... (but not at Lagunamar- I've been reading the message boards :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I recommend that you try the TUG Marketplace first - linked in the red bar at the top of the page. Only registered TUG members can advertise on TUG.

jnsywg

Reaction score
Thanks. I did call but they said 1bdr was not available yet. I will try the VRBO and any other sites you could think of. May need to by that SVO timeshare after all... (but not at Lagunamar- I've been reading the message boards :)

Call and ask the resort directly. I booked WKORV one-bedroom at a time when the SPG call centre said it was not available.

ckelly14

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will try the resort directly. I guess if I book separately a studio and a 1 bdr, I might request a connecting room?

Very few available on TUG but a number on Red Week. I assume there will be even more as we get closer to next year.

Questions about the resort:
1. Anyone know where I can find a resort map?
2. Starwood offers "oceanfront" 1bdr for a significant increase in rate. Is there really much of a difference between buildings that one is truly "oceanfront?".
3. Anyone know relative numbers of float vs fixed weeks in this resort?

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will try the resort directly. I guess if I book separately a studio and a 1 bdr, I might request a connecting room?

If you book them separately, Starwood will not guarantee that they will be connecting or even near each other. If you need them together - reserve a 2 bdm.

Very few available on TUG but a number on Red Week. I assume there will be even more as we get closer to next year.

Remember - it doesn't have to be an owner at the resort - any Starwood owner with Staroptions can make a reservation for you and rent it to you.

Questions about the resort:
1. Anyone know where I can find a resort map?

Click on Starwood Owner Resources at the top of the forum and Scroll down to Resort Maps.

3. Anyone know relative numbers of float vs fixed weeks in this resort?
Thanks!

I believe that except for event weeks, like Christmas, everything was sold as a floating week, but that doesn't really impact you renting a reservation from an owner.

ckelly14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise:

Thanks for the quick reply! Searched TUG marketplace and didn't find any point rentals. Let me know of any site that rents Staroptions.

Thanks again,

Chuck

ckelly14

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume that the "oceanfront" units are in building 100 or 900. Are they still planning to build phase II?

ckelly14

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at this website for some time, but still don't understand how views/specific units are assigned. If the unit does not come with a specific view (i.e. oceanfront), is it in order of booking, or are there other factors involved? Anyone know if Lagunamar had views specified?

Thanks

Chuck

ckelly14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just joined the ranks of TUG members and added my Lagunamar wish to the marketplace. Happy to see that my week is Off-season (? gold season) and will only "cost" 81,000 staroptions. Thanks for everyone's help!

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at this website for some time, but still don't understand how views/specific units are assigned. If the unit does not come with a specific view (i.e. oceanfront), is it in order of booking, or are there other factors involved? Anyone know if Lagunamar had views specified?

Thanks

Chuck

All views at Lagunamar are ocean views. StarOption trades are assigned for stated preferences based upon the date the reservation was made (time stamp). The rooms are assigned within/about a week from arrival.

Just joined the ranks of TUG members and added my Lagunamar wish to the marketplace. Happy to see that my week is Off-season (? gold season) and will only "cost" 81,000 staroptions. Thanks for everyone's help!

"joined the ranks of TUG members and added my Lagunamar wish to the marketplace" Don't really understand what you did or are attempting to do. I see nothing new in the TUG Rentals Offered or Rentals Wanted and only a small studio at Lagunamar for sale in the TUG Marketplace (only 8 Mexico Rental Wanted listings in the Marketplace - none Lagunamar).

Did you deposit your week in II? Are you seeking to have a Starwood owner reserve for you at Lagunamar and you to reserve for them at an SVO resort in return? Are you planning to rent an advertised 2-br and use your StarOptions elsewhere or try to bank or convert them?

Nobody can accept your 81K StarOptions as payment for an advertised rental week. Only you can make a reservation with them (or convert or bank them). Just trying to find out if you are going about this in a way that will actually work.

Finally, the "Ocean Side" 2-br units you refer to as "oceanfront" units are only in the tier nearest the ocean in buildings 1, 9 and 14. Salty

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
"joined the ranks of TUG members and added my Lagunamar wish to the marketplace" Don't really understand what you did or are attempting to do. I see nothing new in the TUG Rentals Offered or Rentals Wanted and only a small studio at Lagunamar for sale in the TUG Marketplace (only 8 Mexico Rental Wanted listings in the Marketplace - none Lagunamar).

I'm probably wrong (happens frequently), but I think new members need it approved before it will show up.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim,

OP does not own timeshare, just trying to figure out how to book a 2-BR unit at WLR by renting through another TS owner or thru Westin directly.

SP

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scott, ... I'll assume you are right this time. lol! That would explain it. I hope the TUG Marketplace works for the OP. Salty

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Just joined the ranks of TUG members and added my Lagunamar wish to the marketplace. Happy to see that my week is Off-season (? gold season) and will only "cost" 81,000 staroptions.

Sent you a pm.

Glorian

ckelly14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am not an owner but am interested in a [Lagunamar rental]. I was not able to book a 2 bdr in the past (in Hawaii) using starpoints or cash, so I am thinking of alternatives. Called the resort and they are only offering studios with starpoints, and up to 1 bdr with cash. Thought the one bedroom was a little cramped for our family.

Last edited by a moderator: