• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stop paying loan

tgerika

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond resorts cabo collection
So what happens if you stop paying your loan? Can they garnish your wages?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
First they need a judgement to garnish wages. I don't know how the Cabo collection with Diamond works. Is the loan administered in the USA? If you stop paying, you could get collection calls, foreclosure, a hit to your credit and a possible 1099-C with tax implications.

tgerika

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First they need a judgement to garnish wages. I don't know how the Cabo collection with Diamond works. Is the loan administered in the USA? If you stop paying, you could get collection calls, foreclosure, a hit to your credit and a possible 1099-C with tax implications.
I have the US collection. Thank you for your response.

tgerika

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hello. We believe the lies the last time we added more points. They told us that we can pay for our loan with our equity that we will get from the contract with them. Now we are paying $800 monthly on the loan. $7000 yearly maintenance fee. We cannot afford it anymore. We purchase in Vegas and we are from California. Besides the credit hit. Can they garnish our wages?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
This is better in the DRI/HVC group since you bought Diamond but I am curious how many points did you buy to have a $7000 MF bill?

tgerika

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
$33 K with the club points. and I have 10 K with polo towers. In the polo towers week I pay $1 K for maintenance and that loan is paid off.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
They will likely refer you to collections who will hound you.
Eventually, they'll foreclose and your credit rating will suffer.
They may or may not go after you for personal liability.
-- In a non-judicial foreclosure, they forego that option.

In some states, certain assets and income are exempt from
the claims of creditors. Then there's the Bankruptcy route.
You should consult an attorney who deals with that subject.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello. We believe the lies the last time we added more points. They told us that we can pay for our loan with our equity that we will get from the contract with them. Now we are paying $800 monthly on the loan. $7000 yearly maintenance fee. We cannot afford it anymore. We purchase in Vegas and we are from California. Besides the credit hit. Can they garnish our wages?
You are a long way from facing garnishment. They would have to first foreclose, then get a court to give them a judgement, and I've never heard of something like this happening over a timeshare.

You REALLY need to see a lawyer in your area with experience in consumer debt.

Jim

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
So, you have 43k points with $8k MFs? That is 0.186 MF/pt.... pretty high compared to many in HGVC have 0.12 or less. Our latest weeks that we bought are 0.09.... so half. You have expensive points so I would be looking at how to get out also but I am not sure how to do that unless you just walk away.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
$33 K with the club points. and I have 10 K with polo towers. In the polo towers week I pay $1 K for maintenance and that loan is paid off.
Is it 33,000 Points or $33,000 dollars worth of Points. Are these Points in Cabo Azul or Points in MAX? We own 19,000 points in Cabo Azul and our MF's are under $2,000 per year.

Last edited:

tgerika

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is it 33,000 Points or $33,000 dollars worth of Points. Are these Points in Cabo Azul or Points in MAX? We own 19,000 points in Cabo Azul and our MF's are under $2,000 per year.
33 K diamond points in the US collection. I did not convert into max.

tgerika

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, you have 43k points with $8k MFs? That is 0.186 MF/pt.... pretty high compared to many in HGVC have 0.12 or less. Our latest weeks that we bought are 0.09.... so half. You have expensive points so I would be looking at how to get out also but I am not sure how to do that unless you just walk away.
Yeah I know not a good deal. The polo towers week is on a different contract and I already pay that loan. I wonder if is worth it to keep it or if they will let me keep it if I stop paying for the Club.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We did not pay that high of MF's even when we were in the Hawaiian Collection.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have the US collection. Thank you for your response.
In order to garnish wages they will have to foreclose and have recourse on any outstanding debt. Then with that outstanding debt they have to sue for further judgement to collect. Timeshare forclosures won't usually get to this. They will foreclose and may have recourse, but then they will generally write it off. That write off event is what could trigger the 1099-C.

tgerika

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In order to garnish wages they will have to foreclose and have recourse on any outstanding debt. Then with that outstanding debt they have to sue for further judgement to collect. Timeshare forclosures won't usually get to this. They will foreclose and may have recourse, but then they will generally write it off. That write off event is what could trigger the 1099-C.
Thank you for the info.

tgerika

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hello If I stop paying the loan on my points? Can I still keep my home week at Polo Towers? It is on a different contract and is I already paid off.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
They prob would freeze your account so you could not reserve.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I would also expect the same but I don't think that I have read anyone reporting their experience with this.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello If I stop paying the loan on my points? Can I still keep my home week at Polo Towers? It is on a different contract and is I already paid off.

Your best bet may be to get your paid off home week out of your name entirely, i.e. gift it to family member.......

Doing so will no longer link your home week ownership to the existing loan.