• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Totally waffling-Maui or Kauai?

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
Sorry Jim cause you sounded so excited about the debate :rofl: but I'll amend my post to say "pick out a few resorts on EACH island, Maui & Kauai"....jeez now I feel bad for messing up your day!

Mess it up all day long........gosh it's a Hawaii discussion!:rofl: :hysterical: :rofl: :hysterical: :whoopie:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Maui hands down if you can get it. It has all the best the islands have to offer and none of the negatives. The worst thing about Maui is how hard it is to get there.

Yep absolutely Maui. Kauai is beautiful but is way way way too quiet and everything closes at 8 or 9. Difficult to go for a late dinner or drink when nothing is open :(

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Kauai is beautiful but is way way way too quiet

Yep - it's too quiet, peaceful, beautiful, really boring - you should all go to Maui. ;)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui hands down if you can get it. It has all the best the islands have to offer and none of the negatives. The worst thing about Maui is how hard it is to get there.

Maui does not have Waimea Canyon and that is a real negative! Maui does not have the wild chickens running around to make you remember of the way it used to be before our time! Also, Maui does not have the same tropical plants and flowers as Kauai and the greenery reminds me of how it used to be when I was growing up.

For me Maui is a non-stop flight and Kauai is a multi-stop, which is a bummer.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
The poor big island feels left out. I vote for the BI.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
You could always just put all the requests in the computer and let it decide.
We've done that ... and wound up at the Lawai Beach Resort.
And if you don't like it ... it would be the computers fault at II or RCI:crash::D

Shhhhh! Keep quiet about the Big Island. ;)
Don't go to Maui either... too many nice beaches :hysterical:

Last edited:

Beje

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise, you are a hoot! I promise whichever island we wind up on we will NEVER tell anyone good things about it. Kind of the same thing we do about the Pacific side of Cabofornia. So I've read and reread all the posts and we're going to do a roll of the dice. We're picking out a few resorts on Maui and a few on Kauai. We'll start the search through RCI and see what comes up first. It sounds like we're going to be happy with whatever happens and also that this won't be our last trip there; irregardless of flight time.

Any RCI resort recommendations would be gladly accepted. It's just the two of us - we'd like even a small kitchen - pool - and close proximity to the ocean for a view of my whales.

Thank you all again.....Joining TUG was the best decision ever made when we got into the timeshare game.

Barb :banana:

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu
Yep - it's too quiet, peaceful, beautiful, really boring - you should all go to Maui. ;)

Exactly my thought.. Anyone ever thinking of which island to visit, should stay clear of Kauai....

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
The poor big island feels left out. I vote for the BI.

I'd take the BI (Waikoloa) over Kauai any day. Only reason I'd go back to Kauai is if I couldn't get into a Marriott or Hilton TS on one of the other 3 islands, but I could get into one of the 2 Marriott's on Kauai (usually can).

I know people that went to Kauai for their first trip to Hawaii and haven't been back to the Islands. They say it's too boring/slow.

For the OP's first and possibly only trip to Hawaii, I would suggest spend the first 7 nites on Maui. Then spend the last 3 nites on Oahu, before the long flight home. We've done that before.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Kauai, but for a first trip, you should choose Maui. Getting exchanges is very difficult though. I had ongoing searches for a year for this year, whale season. Our exchange was confirmed about a month before our trip. We couldn't believe how hard it was to get the dates we needed.

Even as a Kauai fan, I agree with Rick and Cindy.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'd take the BI (Waikoloa) over Kauai any day.
Me too. :D

I know people that went to Kauai for their first trip to Hawaii and haven't been back to the Islands. They say it's too boring/slow.
That was how I felt after my first, and second, visits. The last visit I didn't mind the boring/slow quite so much but for some reason Kauai still didn't grab me. And we seemed to have some kind of insect infestation that made it quite unpleasant.

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
DAE seems to be able to get any week at Kaanapali Beach Club in Maui 10 months out. You need to request though, the only weeks that show up online are already sold. I see you own in Sedona, if you're able to deposit that, it would qualify as a Primetime week and the exchange fee would only be $1.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious as to what some of the negatives that Maui doesn't have that the other islands do?

Maui has a night life. Kauai...not as much. Maui has more commercial activities: restaurants, theaters, touristy things (oh and traffic but that is not a non-negative.)

Kauai has little night life and has more of a small town feel than a large tourist haven.

But neither island is going to disappoint you. So just go with the flow and enjoy where you end up.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
The Kauai Revealed guide book has a very small section for Kauai night life. In particular, I like the comments on night life on the west shore:
Find a bright light bulb and watch the geckos eat the mosquitoes - you crazy party animal, you.

Yes, Kauai is quiet and boring. It's one of the reasons we love it.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Kauai is quiet and boring. It's one of the reasons we love it.

We don't find it boring, we find it relaxing. But not everyone agrees with that being a good thing. I asked my niece if she wanted to come on our next trip, giving her a choice of Poipu or Princeville. She asked "Where can I meet guys?" I responded "Maui":p

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
We don't find it boring, we find it relaxing.
We were there twice. Once for 7 days and once for 9. Didn't seem to find it boaring or relax either time :shrug: Maybe when we go back next time :rofl:

northpole

Reaction score
We love Kaua'i! When we return from our holidays in Kaua'i, we feel rested...

We've returned from some holidays elsewhere... And we've felt like we've needed a holiday to recover from our holiday! We never feel like that after a Kaua'i vacation.

We thoroughly enjoy our holiday (not boring), and we return home relaxed and refreshed!

The only time that we were a bit tired after the holiday was on our first trip. We only visited for 1 week (which really means 6 days), and we tried to see everything - we were driving all over the island every day. It was enjoyable, but we didn't return home relaxed.

I'd suggest a minimum of 2 weeks, and I'd caution against trying to see everything and do everything...

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I agree with Northpole, looks like we have the OK from DW's work for three
Weeks at a time. That will be great for us until retirement. The last trip we had
Was 18 days and that was great. Kauai is great for exploring and taking it easy.
It seems like home.:D When we fill up the vacation time with activities, that's
Not relaxing and doesn't 't help us recharge.