• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta lied and said they would “buy” my worldmark timeshare.

Chilesmith

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
World mark , Wyndham, Vidanta
Long story short. I bough a Vidanta vacation membership package. The only reason was because they said they would buy my timeshare and give me a credit to use on a future upgrade, I just needed to pay the $1871 transfer fee when they called. Now it’s that time and Vidanta isn’t buying it they just want me to pay that to list it and pay the maintenance fees until it sales and 150 days after it sales. Or I can list it for $4000 and still get to use it until it sales. I’m avoiding them at the moment. What happens if I just ignore them indefinitely? I would have never bought Vidanta if I understood that all I was doing is putting my worthless timeshare up for sale, hoping someone will buy it. Can I just dispute the charge on my credit card Vidanta charged me for my package and cancel it?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can definitely try disputing it with your credit card. It's no guarantee, however, because the CC might rule that what Vidanta sold you was valid.

We just need you to clarify, did you buy this "vacation membership package" at one of those timeshare sales presentations? If so, when? If so, you have up to five days from when you signed the contract to rescind this purchase.

How much money have you paid so far from the time that you purchased this "vacation membership package"?

Sadly, this sounds like a long-standing trick that a lot of TS sales people in Mexico pull, lying to you telling you that they will buy back or trade in what you currently own and put that money or trade-in value towards a new purchase only to tell you that after you purchase, they don't want or need what you originally had.

As you can see, many TS sales people are notorious for lying.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mexican timeshares often use this ploy of giving buyers a credit for what they own against their purchase as a trade-in, but none of them actually takes the timeshare back. They don't want it. However, you can sell your Worldmark ownership if it is fully paid up. It has some value. Go to wmowners.com, a forum for Worldmark owners and you can either list it for sale yourself or use one of the trusted brokers on the site.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They didn't buy your Worldmark and they never intended to. The price you paid was probably above the floor price that they would sell it for even without your "trade in". The trade in is a big ripoff. You will end up with the timeshare in the end.
Here is a video from a former TS sales person who worked in Mexico explaining how it works;

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vidanta
Long story short. I bough a Vidanta vacation membership package. The only reason was because they said they would buy my timeshare and give me a credit to use on a future upgrade, I just needed to pay the $1871 transfer fee when they called. Now it’s that time and Vidanta isn’t buying it they just want me to pay that to list it and pay the maintenance fees until it sales and 150 days after it sales. Or I can list it for $4000 and still get to use it until it sales. I’m avoiding them at the moment. What happens if I just ignore them indefinitely? I would have never bought Vidanta if I understood that all I was doing is putting my worthless timeshare up for sale, hoping someone will buy it. Can I just dispute the charge on my credit card Vidanta charged me for my package and cancel it?
I am going thru this exact same thing right now. TRM is calling for the 1879, or the 3999. What did you end up doing? My TS is paid for, so if I still have to pay maintenence fee, I might as well use it. Did you pay TRM? Did they make a big deal outta the money from equity contract agreement you signed??

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
@cdhendricks75 - chilesmith was last seen on TUG Nov 4th
You could try a Conversation PM .

Regardless - just follow the advice given to you in this thread :

Just bought Vida & TRM wants to sell my HGVC

This is like installing snow tires - you can do it yourself for free or you can pay someone.
$ 1871 is a lot to "install snow tires"

Either way you currently own 2 sets of tires [ ie - Timeshares ]