• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We rescind, [a sampler Pkg.] Diamond refuses, we point to the contract. What will happen now?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
It really does sound like their mistake, wrong form. Which is good for you. Good thing you didn't just give up and asked on TUG.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
outstanding! congrats on standing your ground and getting it cancelled!

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, we rescinded a Diamond Sampler in person two days after we purchased it. Helps when using the words "lies" and "fraud". (Ours was purchased after a marathon five hour sales meeting several weeks before we found TUG.

If I recall correctly, Faith, you purchased the sampler in Californian. Is that correct?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Update: We received this email today:
"Dear Mr Park,

I can confirm that your earlier email was received and after checking this with our contracts department I can confirm that you are correct in stating that there is a 7 day rescission period.

You will shortly be provided with the cancellation paperwork for this agreement.

Kind regards
Russell Elliot"

Good news, though it seems we still have a hoop or two to jump through.

I hope they are emailing the forms & not sending by snail mail so they arrive after the recession period has passed!
Time is of the essence!

~Diane

DRIless

Reaction score
Congratulations!

Sounds like a case of 'wrong form'
Good job, I think I agree, some heads may roll in their closing department!
"Dear Mr Park,

I can confirm that your earlier email was received and after checking this with our contracts department I can confirm that you are correct in stating that there is a 7 day rescission period.

You will shortly be provided with the cancellation paperwork for this agreement.

Kind regards
Russell Elliot"

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
DRIless .. in my experience SELDOM do heads roll in the timeshare closing departments. Not because they are NOT round, but because it is a business where HIGHLY skilled sales persons easily get measured on PRODUCTION quotes ... SOLD products. The timeshare sales person gets a commission, the sales manager gets a cut PLUS a proformance bonus AND within a week or 2, the ENTIRE resort guest population is a new CROP of smucks.

It is a SOUND BYTE ... wait a month and call the sales office, and ask when the 'smuck' is working as you are now ready to buy. Be sure to USE a fake call back phone number (I have a "minute" phone I use for calls I might need to get but don't want to REALLY answer).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
DRIless .. in my experience SELDOM do heads roll in the timeshare closing departments. Not because they are NOT round, but because it is a business where HIGHLY skilled sales persons easily get measured on PRODUCTION quotes ... SOLD products. The timeshare sales person gets a commission, the sales manager gets a cut PLUS a proformance bonus AND within a week or 2, the ENTIRE resort guest population is a new CROP of smucks.

It is a SOUND BYTE ... wait a month and call the sales office, and ask when the 'smuck' is working as you are now ready to buy. Be sure to USE a fake call back phone number (I have a "minute" phone I use for calls I might need to get but don't want to REALLY answer).
Exactly, they aren't going to be that concerned with the loss of a couple thousand from the sampler package and their commission on those is probably minimal.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
outstanding! congrats on standing your ground and getting it cancelled!
Thanks, but it's not a done deal yet. We have yet to deal with the form(s) they are sending us. At least meeting the rescission deadline is no longer an issue.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope they are emailing the forms & not sending by snail mail so they arrive after the recession period has passed!
Time is of the essence!

~Diane

DRI will snail mail you all correspondence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also be prepared for them to sell your phone number. I know from experience!

This is true! Staying at a Diamond right now, sadly, in need of refurbishment. They seem to virtually abandon some resorts. What's amazing is all the 5 star FB reviews, makes me wonder if they are from real people. I've stayed at a good one before too. But it's ok, plan on being out every day anyway.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is true! Staying at a Diamond right now, sadly, in need of refurbishment. They seem to virtually abandon some resorts. What's amazing is all the 5 star FB reviews, makes me wonder if they are from real people. I've stayed at a good one before too. But it's ok, plan on being out every day anyway.
You say that you are at a DRI resort at this moment and in your signature you say that you are at Diamond Club Calypso.
So, if you are at Diamond Club Calypso then you are not at a DRI resort but at a https://www.resort-solutions.co.uk/

DRIless

Reaction score
Also be prepared for them to sell your phone number. I know from experience!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I personally believe it's renegade employees that do this and not DRI itself.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You say that you are at a DRI resort at this moment and in your signature you say that you are at Diamond Club Calypso.
So, if you are at Diamond Club Calypso then you are not at a DRI resort but at a https://www.resort-solutions.co.uk/

Thank you, you are correct! For some reason, they have 3 resorts here named Dismond with a diamond logo and it made me think the resort company. Glad I was wrong. So, one of the 3 is actually Diamond it appears, Club de Carmen, the other 2 are not (Calypso and Maritima)

My phone number comment stands though as they did this to me after a presentation. There is a website devoted to extracting oneself from Diamond lists, robocallers, etc.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
"Dear Mr Park,

Kind regards
Russell Elliot"

Outstanding! Glad it came out in your favor. But keep all correspondence......just in case they forget. DRI has a history of not being very prompt, "misplacing" paperwork et....

quikitikit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (EVR), Marriott Newport Coast (NCV), Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
In 2013 we attended Diamond update in Lake Tahoe, CA and bought Sampler package offered of 15,000 points for $2,295 when we didn’t buy points for the points program (we own one week bought on EBay). Our sampler had a recession clause and we sent the recession within the 7 days certified mail. No problem! Always know that you have right to o cancel before signing. Congratulations on your recession!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
In 2013 we attended Diamond update in Lake Tahoe, CA and bought Sampler package offered of 15,000 points for $2,295 when we didn’t buy points for the points program (we own one week bought on EBay). Our sampler had a recession clause and we sent the recession within the 7 days certified mail. No problem! Always know that you have right to o cancel before signing. Congratulations on your recession!

Just for the sake of posterity......and anyone who might read this, but not fully.....

All state laws concerning rescinding timeshares (etc...) are NOT the same.

Nevada has a very short rescission period and, like some other states, does NOT recognize a legal requirement for a mandatory rescission period for SAMPLER or VACATION packages. Some states do....

So, your words "...know that you have a right...." should be '...know what your rights are...for that state....for that product/contract..'
It's confusing, isn't it?

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Closure: A Sampler refund of $3995 was posted to our account today, 19 days after DRI acknowledged receipt of our certified rescission request. We purchased the Sampler at Kaanapali Beach Club on Maui.

For what it's worth, there was nothing confrontational or accusatory in any of our communications with DRI. We simply stated our desire to rescind and pointed to the language in the Sampler contract. I did nudge DRI politely 2 days ago, which may have help bring this to closure.

Our reason for buying the Sampler was that we thought we could use it effectively in conjunction with our existing points, and that back-to-back stays would be permitted. We had been happy with 2 prior Samplers and felt we received our money's worth there. On reading the fine print after returning to our room, we found that back-to-back bookings were now prohibited. We received verbal assurance that this would not be a problem, but could not get anything in writing. We also found that the cost in points for staying at several of the participating resorts was significantly higher that what our weeks cost us at KBC, meaning that the Sampler's 20,000 points would really not go all that far.

Moral: Read ALL the fine print before signing and learn what it costs in points to stay at the resorts of interest, else check for the right to rescind.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We came this close 1 time to buying a DRI sample deal -- had even signed the check & slid it across the table. We pulled it back when the sales person corrected our spoken assumption that we could use sample points the same way club members use theirs -- e.g., for multiple last-minute discounted reservations, etc. When it was explained that sample-deal points can only be used for regular, full-cost reservations for whatever happens to be available at the time, we said we're not interested & took back the check. A close call -- whew !

Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

izzymail

Reaction score
We came this close 1 time to buying a DRI sample deal -- had even signed the check & slid it across the table. We pulled it back when the sales person corrected our spoken assumption that we could use sample points the same way club members use theirs -- e.g., for multiple last-minute discounted reservations, etc. When it was explained that sample-deal points can only be used for regular, full-cost reservations for whatever happens to be available at the time, we said we're not interested & took back the check. A close call -- whew !

First, based on my experience I am impressed that the representative corrected your misunderstanding. Unfortunately, this was probably ultimately an unsuccessful individual as many will gladly mislead you to get the sale and commission. Unfortunately it seems that in many industries its is still more lucrative to have a bad product with an agresssive sales strategy, then to just have a superior product.

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Nice of that sales person to inform you but probably got reprimanded for costing a sale. :)