• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are my options in getting rid of Diamond Resorts Hawaii Collection points?

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Hawaii Collection
Hi I am new here. I inherited the Diamond Resorts Hawaii Collection points(10,000 per yer, but at this point, I only have 20,000 for 2024)from my father, and would like to get rid of them. Please kindly tell me the options I have, what actions I need to take to pursue those options, and what your recommendations are. English is not my native language, so I am confused by the technical terms I see here on TUG. This timeshare thing is very confusing! Please kindly guide me through this process as if guiding a child. Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Hi I am new here. I inherited the Diamond Resorts Hawaii Collection points(10,000 per yer, but at this point, I only have 20,000 for 2024)from my father, and would like to get rid of them. Please kindly tell me the options I have, what actions I need to take to pursue those options, and what your recommendations are. English is not my native language, so I am confused by the technical terms I see here on TUG. This timeshare thing is very confusing! Please kindly guide me through this process as if guiding a child. Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Is your name on the title?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If your name is not on the account you can reject the inheritance of Diamond Collection Points before it transfers to you. You should not have to pay to dispose of it.

Are you or was your father based in the USA? If not they probably can do nothing if you reject it.

You would need to have the executor of his will write a letter to Diamond resorts and to the county where the Diamond Trust Points are filed stating that you are rejecting the inheritance of the Diamond Hawaii Collection Points from the will and that the estate can sign the necessary paperwork to deed it back to Diamond at no fee. Otherwise, they can foreclose and take back the property with no fees to the estate or to you. You should speak to a US lawyer to help you write this because we are not lawyers.

Last edited:

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If your name is not on the account you can reject the inheritance of Diamond Collection Points before it transfers to you. You should not have to pay to dispose of it.

Are you or was your father based in the USA? If not they probably can do nothing if you reject it.

You would need to have the executor of his will write a letter to Diamond resorts and to the county where the Diamond Trust Points are filed stating that you are rejecting the inheritance of the Diamond Hawaii Collection Points from the will and that the estate can sign the necessary paperwork to deed it back to Diamond at no fee. Otherwise, they can foreclose and take back the property with no fees to the estate or to you. You should speak to a US lawyer to help you write this because we are not lawyers.
Thank you for your quick reply.

My name is not on the account, and my father was not based in the States, but was just planning to go there on vacations. He passed away before using it even once.

We have a U.S. lawyer working with us with different matters, but she mentioned nothing about what you just told me. I didn't think we have the option to reject it. I will check with her.

By the way, among other options, are you suggesting that rejecting it would be the best option? Should I not try to sell it? I know that others mentioned about how there is no resell value in what we own, but just wanted to check.

Thank you for your kind reply in advance.

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
If you don't want it. Don't take it. Don't try to sell it. Don't touch it.

If someone in the family wants it, give it to them. If not, give it back.

Seek legal counsel, but if there's even $1,000 of value, your time and attorney costs will far exceed it. What's the point?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sorry to hear about your father's passing. I am sorry to hear that he never used this once. If Diamond claims that he must pay $1000 to transitions program for paperwork ignore it. Do nothing to take ownership on this account or pay money to Diamond. The US has a 3 year statute of limitations. If you pay ANY money to Diamond it restarts the 3 year clock and may implicate you as an owner.

This account is not yours and you need your lawyer to renounce ownership (write a letter) of this portion of the inheritance to Diamond and to the probate court in the county where the Diamond Land trust resides.

Since he was not based in the USA and you are not here, if you do nothing, ignore all the threats and letters, it will fall in to foreclosure and they will take it back without costing you a penny. Best not to talk or write to Diamond/Hilton Vacation Club because they may interpret as you objecting to foreclosure. (see below for Florida law)

Most estate lawyers are unfamiliar with timeshare law. Please share this link below with your lawyer if you decide to get legal advice. If the Diamond Collection trust is based in Florida: This link is for deeds and land trust are unproven in the US law.

Florida – FL, inaction or non-objection results in estate, anti-deficiency foreclosure, but objection leads to judicial, deficiency action: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0721/0721.html
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=61B-37

Datapoints: Given you live internationally they cannot report you on a US Credit report. So very unlikely they can take any action against you - especially since you are not the owner on the timeshare. Same with your father's estate. the estate does not need to apply for credit anymore so does not matter.

(The "1" below was probably a US resident.)

1696862428189.png

Please report back to us what happens to pay it forward to others.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
No, it is still under my father's name.
Sorry for your loss. You can't be forced to accept someone else's debt. Seek legal adivce, but maybe start just by informing them, your father passed on.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sorry for your loss. You can't be forced to accept someone else's debt. Seek legal adivse, but maybe start just by informing them, your father passed on.
Is anyone else on the Diamond account? (hopefully not)

If you contact, be careful. Diamond may lie to you. If you write or call, tell them your father has passed, you do not own the account and everyone rejects the the inheritance of this timeshare. Do not give them your phone number because bill collectors will call. They cannot do anything - barking dogs but no bite.

Be aware they may say things that are not true to scare you or the estate into paying or accepting ownership or objecting to foreclosure. It is all lies. You have NO objection to foreclosure and given that it is not your debt or property and your father has passed, there is no one that owns it anymore.

You are also international so there is nothing they can do.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you have been given good advice here. be sure to inform DRI of the passing of your father and that as the executor of his estate you wish to willingly surrender it back to them.

they may or may not attempt to charge you a fee for this surrender, and you may or may not choose to pay it to be done with it.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@akihiro
I am very sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, Diamond points have no resale value because Diamond puts restrictions on resale buyers.

On Ebay, I found the following account which sold on July 28, 2023 for $1.
Declining the inheritance is your best option.

1696868816642.png

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
As everyone has said no one can be forced to inherit a Timeshare. Just have the American Attorney write a letter to Diamond and the Court rejecting this property. Do not pay Diamond a Penny. Do not respond to any letters or telephone calls from Diamond or any collection company.

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you don't want it. Don't take it. Don't try to sell it. Don't touch it. If someone in the family wants it, give it to them. If not, give it back. Seek legal counsel, but if there's even $1,000 of value, your time and attorney costs will far exceed it. What's the point?
Thank you for so much for your comment. I see your point and I agree.

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry to hear about your father's passing. I am sorry to hear that he never used this once. If Diamond claims that he must pay $1000 to transitions program for paperwork ignore it. Do nothing to take ownership on this account or pay money to Diamond. The US has a 3 year statute of limitations. If you pay ANY money to Diamond it restarts the 3 year clock and may implicate you as an owner.

This account is not yours and you need your lawyer to renounce ownership (write a letter) of this portion of the inheritance to Diamond and to the probate court in the county where the Diamond Land trust resides.

Since he was not based in the USA and you are not here, if you do nothing, ignore all the threats and letters, it will fall in to foreclosure and they will take it back without costing you a penny. Best not to talk or write to Diamond/Hilton Vacation Club because they may interpret as you objecting to foreclosure. (see below for Florida law)

Most estate lawyers are unfamiliar with timeshare law. Please share this link below with your lawyer if you decide to get legal advice. If the Diamond Collection trust is based in Florida: This link is for deeds and land trust are unproven in the US law.

Florida – FL, inaction or non-objection results in estate, anti-deficiency foreclosure, but objection leads to judicial, deficiency action: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0721/0721.html
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=61B-37

Datapoints: Given you live internationally they cannot report you on a US Credit report. So very unlikely they can take any action against you - especially since you are not the owner on the timeshare. Same with your father's estate. the estate does not need to apply for credit anymore so does not matter.

(The "1" below was probably a US resident.)

View attachment 82266

Please report back to us what happens to pay it forward to others.

Good luck.
Thank you for so much for your comments and information.

I am a bit confused about your comments regarding FL laws as I believe Diamond Resorts was headquartered in LV, and I am not sure where Hilton is at (DC?). Or does FL law apply to all states?

I am also not sure about how to interpret the interesting chart you shared with me. I am not even sure what it is about from the first place.

Thank you in advance for further clarification.

I will contact my US lawyer in the next few days, once I collect the necessary information.

Yes, I will keep posting what happens till I resolve this issue.

Thank you again.

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry for your loss. You can't be forced to accept someone else's debt. Seek legal adivce, but maybe start just by informing them, your father passed on.
I will contact our lawyer and go from there. Thank you.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@akihiro The lawyer should look at the timeshare laws in the state where the timeshare land trust is located. If not Florida, then s/he can look it up from that link.

Your lawyer will know what to do.

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is anyone else on the Diamond account? (hopefully not)
If you contact, be careful. Diamond may lie to you. If you write or call, tell them your father has passed, you do not own the account and everyone rejects the the inheritance of this timeshare. Do not give them your phone number because bill collectors will call. They cannot do anything - barking dogs but no bite.

Be aware they may say things that are not true to scare you or the estate into paying or accepting ownership or objecting to foreclosure. It is all lies. You have NO objection to foreclosure and given that it is not your debt or property and your father has passed, there is no one that owns it anymore.

You are also international so there is nothing they can do.
@akihiro The lawyer should look at the timeshare laws in the state where the timeshare land trust is located. If not Florida, then s/he can look it up from that link.

No, my deceased father is the only one on the account.
I will be careful. Thank you.
Can you kindly tell me a bit about the "datapoint" chart you sent me previously as I have no idea what it was about?
Thank you.

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Well noted. Thank you again.

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
you have been given good advice here. be sure to inform DRI of the passing of your father and that as the executor of his estate you wish to willingly surrender it back to them.

they may or may not attempt to charge you a fee for this surrender, and you may or may not choose to pay it to be done with it.
Well noted. Thank you.

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Well noted. Thank you again.

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@akihiro
I am very sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, Diamond points have no resale value because Diamond puts restrictions on resale buyers.

On Ebay, I found the following account which sold on July 28, 2023 for $1.
Declining the inheritance is your best option.

View attachment 82270
Thank you! This is great information. I never doubted but it shows that what has been said here are all true. What a crazy business these timeshare companies and resell companies are running! Hard to believe it is real...

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As everyone has said no one can be forced to inherit a Timeshare. Just have the American Attorney write a letter to Diamond and the Court rejecting this property. Do not pay Diamond a Penny. Do not respond to any letters or telephone calls from Diamond or any collection company.
Well noted. Thank you!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thank you! This is great information. I never doubted but it shows that what has been said here are all true. What a crazy business these timeshare companies and resell companies are running! Hard to believe it is real...
Resale timeshares are a good deal if you own other systems such as Hilton Grand Vacations (HGVC a different division/product of HGV), Vistana (Westin, Sheraton) which are less restrictive with resale. The timeshares are well run and make for economical vacations.

Unfortunately, Diamond and a few others put so many restrictions that there is little value for resale buyers rendering them worthless.

I hope your father didn't spend much for his ownership. Did he have a mortgage? It is good news he is the only person on the account. The datapoints I sent under prior post are experiences of others who have walked away from paying on their timeshares. You are based internationally, the account is not in your name (or any of your living loved one's) names so the odds of a credit report drop are almost non-existent other than to the estate - but the estate is not applying for any more credit so it would not matter. The legal cost and effort of recourse internationally outweigh any potential recovery.

Do not spend too much on your U.S. lawyer. Have them write a letter that there is no inheritance claim to the timeshare so the estate has no objections to Diamond deeding back the trust deed or foreclosing and taking back the ownership. Do not pay Diamond/Hilton Vacation Club (HGV) a dime or they may claim in court that you are responsible. Don't let them lie to you that you are liable or there are major consequences. Your name is not on his ownership and they cannot force you to take his debt. The fact that his name was the only one on the account is a gift for you to exit. Share this thread with your lawyer.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, first welcome to the TUG website.

Please share CalGalTraveler last post with your lawyer and good luck.

akihiro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Resale timeshares are a good deal if you own other systems such as Hilton Grand Vacations (HGVC a different division/product of HGV), Vistana (Westin, Sheraton) which are less restrictive with resale. The timeshares are well run and make for economical vacations.

Unfortunately, Diamond and a few others put so many restrictions that there is little value for resale buyers rendering them worthless.

I hope your father didn't spend much for his ownership. Did he have a mortgage? It is good news he is the only person on the account. The datapoints I sent under prior post are experiences of others who have walked away from paying on their timeshares. You are based internationally, the account is not in your name (or any of your living loved one's) names so the odds of a credit report drop are almost non-existent other than to the estate - but the estate is not applying for any more credit so it would not matter. The legal cost and effort of recourse internationally outweigh any potential recovery.

Do not spend too much on your U.S. lawyer. Have them write a letter that there is no inheritance claim to the timeshare so the estate has no objections to Diamond deeding back the trust deed or foreclosing and taking back the ownership. Do not pay Diamond/Hilton Vacation Club (HGV) a dime or they may claim in court that you are responsible. Don't let them lie to you that you are liable or there are major consequences. Your name is not on his ownership and they cannot force you to take his debt. The fact that his name was the only one on the account is a gift for you to exit. Share this thread with your lawyer.
Thank you. No, he did not have a mortgage.

Please allow me to provide more information about the situation I am in. My father actually passed away in 2020, so it has been about three years. During those three years, I never changed the name as an owner of the points, but did change email address, mail address, etc. so that I can have access to his account, bills, etc. as one of the two sons he had. And not knowing what to do, I kept paying the annual fees, up to this point. (And we never used the points because we could not afford to go to Hawaii.)

That being said, would this information change anything you or others have said in this thread? Would that make it difficult for us to handle this situation? I am sorry for not disclosing this piece of information earlier. I thought it may not matter...

Your further input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

(typing in a crowded commuter train in Tokyo, Japan. :) )

Last edited: