• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Disney Water Park

LAR

TUG Member
Reaction score
is better for a 4 and 6 yr old boys? we've never been to a water park and cannot discern any difference between the two.

Any opinions? 2 days til Cypress Harbour!

Thanks
LAR

DorotaG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the info I saved a while ago about Water Parks at WDW:
Blizzard Beach is not for relaxing. There is limited beach space, and with 21 slides, the focus is on attractions that draw the energetic crowd. Snowcapped Mt. Gushmore is the icon of the park, you can get up to the top by chairlift or stairs, but how you get down is up to you. Teamboat Springs, a white-water faft that seats five, is plenty zippy and a good ride to try first since the entire family goes together. There are also mat rides, tube rides, and full-throttle plunges!

At 120 feet, Summit Plummet is the highest and fastest flume ride in the country. Sliders rach speeds of 55 mph, a full 20 mph faster than Space Mountain- and here you dont even have a car. This slide is not for the faint at heart, and the height requirement is 48 inches. And when you cross your legs, you better cross your fingers, too!

Not quite up for that? Kids love the foam rubber sleds of Toboggan Racer, where 8 riders face off for a straight shot down the mountain. Other fun choices include the inner-tube slides of Runoff Rapids and Snow Stormers, a mock slalom run. These rides are like potato chips - once you start, its hard to stop - and most kids clamor to do them again and again.

If your older kids insist that its Blizzard Beach or nothing, dont think younger siblings will be bored. The kiddie area, Tike's Peak, is a small replica of Mount Gushmore and offers a spray pond, a wading pool, and lots of kid-sized slides and tube rides. There are even separate toddler slides to insure that your 2 year old wont be trampled by over-enthusiastic kindergarteners. Ski Patrol Training Camp is designed for preteens that are too hip for Tike's Peak but nt quite up to the full-size Mount Gushmore attractions. (Note: Kids under 10 must be accompanied by an adult). Look for the Cool Runners tube rides, the iceberg walk, and slides so wide the entire family can go down side by side.

Blizzards Beach's newest slide ride is Downhill Double Dipper, an individual tube ride that sends tou through a water curtain and tunnel before you emerge through another water curtain, are flumed down a hill, and wind up in a pool at the bottom. Everyone seems to finish this ride with a smile or a giggle.

TYPHOON LAGOON
The story here: A small village was struck by a tidal wave, an earthquake, and a typhoon! The huge, shady beach are is full of palms, and there are many small nooks and coves where parents can flop on a lounge chair while the kids explore.

The slides are smaller at Typhoon Lagoon and the kiddie areas are not as big as Blizzard Beach's, but just wait until you see the pool. The wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon is the size of three football fields and designed for actual surfing. Even with tubes, this is serious stuff. Certain hours are designated for body surfing, and a foghorn blast alerts you to when a big 'un is underway. (Don't take small children in too deep when the wave machine is cranked up. During the five foot waves, you can count on a pool full of shrieking teenages bearing down upon your head every 90 seconds!)

While the park centers around the surfing pool, there are also plenty of rides and slides, including Humunga Kawabunga, which accelerates sliders to speeds of 30mph, and a squeal-ripping corkscrew tube ride called Mayday Falls. Often overlooked because of its out of the way location is Shark Reef, where snorkelers swim among tropical fish. Equipment is provided and an instructor talks you through the basics. It's a safe, fun, first-snorkeling experience.

I think myself that the Typhoon Lagoon is a little more "small kid friendly" then the Blizzard Beach, but the kids will have fun in either of those.

Detailor

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
And I'd suggest that you actually think about Blizzard Beach over Typhoon Lagoon. Both have very nice (younger) childrens' areas and some water slides that I've seen younger children with parents enjoy quite a lot. Both have lazy rivers that course around the outer edge of the parks. I agree with the comment that there's more 'beach' area at TL as the beach chairs at BB are often dragged right up to the edge of the water. However, the large main pool area at Typhoon is a wave pool which might cause some trouble for younger children or those who are strong swimmers. The large pool area at BB is just a pool and seems to attract more of the younger set than at Typhoon. With that said, both are very nice water parks, probably among the best in the country.

Dick Taylor

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Typhon Lagoon I think is better and so do my kids, we started going there when my daughter was 3 and son 5.

Forgot to state that you need to get there before it opens or you will have trouble finding a spot to land esp. in the kiddie area.

timetraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't see if you mentioned anyone in your family being "sun-sensitive". You should know that Blizzard Beach is blazing white paint over concrete......everywhere! :eek:

Now if your family gets fabulous tans and glare and massive sun exposure doesn't present a concern, then BB is an awesome waterpark!!

However, if your family is fair skinned, TL is the best choice. Lot's of shade to cool off and get out of the blazing sun.

I have a very fair complexion. A natural redhead. Did I mention I couldn't tan if my life depended on it? :bawl: So because of that, we go to TL.

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
capjak said:
Typhon Lagoon I think is better and so do my kids, we started going there when my daughter was 3 and son 5.

Forgot to state that you need to get there before it opens or you will have trouble finding a spot to land esp. in the kiddie area.

We were at Typhoon Lagoon last weekend and it was relatively empty. Lounge chairs everywhere and not a problem finding a place to land. It was great being able to go to any slide without having to wait more than one minute - more often than not, no wait at all! This is the time to go as it can get very crowded once the summer vacationers start coming to Florida. We'll be at Blizard Beach this coming Sunday and hopefully it won't be too crowded either.:)

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
TL - most of the teens who think it is fun to splash water in little one faces are over at BB.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
5 yr old at TL

went over Easter--great kiddie area---water pistol spray "dueling" area was very popular with the 6-7 yr old boys age range. Lot of milder stuff for a 4 yr old. Sand bottom for digging (kids meals com ewith sand bucket and shovel--or bring your own). Fun little waterslide/raft ride that even a 4 yr old can do alone and be a big boy. LAzy river good for all ages.

My older 9 yr old enjoyed wave pool and bigger rides with Dad--but wave pool is probably too much for a 6 yr old--unless very adventuresome--of course, waves are only on for 5 minutes every 15 minutes or so. For me, I had an excellent day parked in a lounge chair under an umbrella (go early) in the kiddie area--we will definitely go again--and I had to drag my kids out at 5 pm, when they closed.
Never been to BB--might try that one next year.