• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why I chose Timeshare over RV.... Timeshare Traveler Episode 191

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
I've been happily using my timeshares for the last three years living full time in my timeshares. Before I moved agressively into using timeshares, I also looked at getting an RV (either a Bus or Truck Camper). When I looked at the costs for the RV, it seemed like the timeshares prices were similar or less. Buying a large RV bus was more expensive than my timeshare purchases (even for one Bus, not the two I would probably need over the next 20 years). My investments in timeshares is less than half of one RV bus ($600K for a Bus).

But more importantly, my travel style fits with timeshares better than RV's. The gas price differences for an RV that is being driven 20K miles a year heavily tips you in favor of timeshares. The other big difference is my goal to travel to Hawaii and overseas makes the timeshare arguement much stronger. Ongoing costs to be in Hawaii are much below renting a hotel which is what you would do with an RV.

Map of all my timeshare reviews

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Are you saying you've spent nearly $300k for your T/S use? That's radical!

I've enjoyed seeing people over the years here trying T/S full-time, but it does seem spendy to me and such a commitment. And, a few threads over the years on RV's, too. I dare say, not the same experience at all, and as you have suggested. Clearly, living in an RV full-time is typically not in the price range you suggest though, and you get to see a lot more beautiful areas. Still, I know it's not for everyone.

RENTER

Reaction score
I've been happily using my timeshares for the last three years living full time in my timeshares. Before I moved agressively into using timeshares, I also looked at getting an RV (either a Bus or Truck Camper). When I looked at the costs for the RV, it seemed like the timeshares prices were similar or less. Buying a large RV bus was more expensive than my timeshare purchases (even for one Bus, not the two I would probably need over the next 20 years). My investments in timeshares is less than half of one RV bus ($600K for a Bus).

But more importantly, my travel style fits with timeshares better than RV's. The gas price differences for an RV that is being driven 20K miles a year heavily tips you in favor of timeshares. The other big difference is my goal to travel to Hawaii and overseas makes the timeshare arguement much stronger. Ongoing costs to be in Hawaii are much below renting a hotel which is what you would do with an RV.

Map of all my timeshare reviews
Good for you. You sound like those people who found out that living on a cruise ship all year is cheaper.

If you have been paying attention to my arguments with other owners about buying retail vs resale, your situation makes it interesting to do the math and see what works the best.

I do not think those who only buy resale are wrong. They made the right decision for them. But they do not understand why I want VIP and cannot understand the math behind it.

The math works if you are going to treat it as a second home like you do rather than a vacation property. It also works if you are going to use it as a traveling business office. But the math may still work for resale. It all depends how you are going to use it.

SUMMARY. There is no one size rule fits all. Everyone has to figure out what is best for them.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good for you. You sound like those people who found out that living on a cruise ship all year is cheaper.

If you have been paying attention to my arguments with other owners about buying retail vs resale, your situation makes it interesting to do the math and see what works the best.

I do not think those who only buy resale are wrong. They made the right decision for them. But they do not understand why I want VIP and cannot understand the math behind it.

The math works if you are going to treat it as a second home like you do rather than a vacation property. It also works if you are going to use it as a traveling business office. But the math may still work for resale. It all depends how you are going to use it.

SUMMARY. There is no one size rule fits all. Everyone has to figure out what is best for them.
Yes, I treat my timeshares as a second home. My maintenance fees are less than a second home / condo. A condo often has a HOA of $400-$500 a month. I am paying about $1K more per month for the flexibility to live where I want. This is a very inexpensive "mortgage".

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you saying you've spent nearly $300k for your T/S use? That's radical!

I've enjoyed seeing people over the years here trying T/S full-time, but it does seem spendy to me and such a commitment. And, a few threads over the years on RV's, too. I dare say, not the same experience at all, and as you have suggested. Clearly, living in an RV full-time is typically not in the price range you suggest though, and you get to see a lot more beautiful areas. Still, I know it's not for everyone.
My monthly cost is about $1400. This is above the $600 to stay in a monthly RV location. But if the RV is moving around at all, I make it up in gas. I get 45-50 miles a gallon and an RV get 10mile a gallon. To maintain an RV is also much more expensive. Like changing oil etc... I was looking at You tube videos and it seemed to run about $2000 /month for all the fees (having cable TV / internet. I tend to say that they are the same but I think it cost less to buy a timeshare and less to maintain them. I also think timeshares are more luxurious. I've spent less that the $500K I would have paid to live in an RV.

CaliSunshine

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I saw that 1400 dollar number Clif that was pretty impressive! Less than half of what we're paying for our mortgage and we're not beachfront in Hawaii I'll tell you. I'm guessing you use every trick in your Youtube (and maybe a few private ones!).

For us, for the reasons you talked about, especially the fixing and maintenance, I think timeshares for retirement (a couple of decades away) would make a lot more sense than RVing.

There are a few downsides that I can foresee:
1. Planning. To get it down to 1400 a month probably requires a lot of planning and expertise and time. I'm guessing you have a great spreadsheet of weeks/trades/etc. that I'd love to see if we ever meet in person in the future.
2. Day mismatches. How do you deal with weeks not lining up exactly on checkin checkout? Do you just eat it if there's overlap and/or spend the occasional night in the car?
3. Work. From watching Nomadland it looks like a lot of RVers either work as park hosts and in Camperforce and I guess that would be harder to do in a timeshare (although kind of defeats the purpose of being on vacation!)

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
I would watch this before you decide to buy a RV....

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
When I saw that 1400 dollar number Clif that was pretty impressive! Less than half of what we're paying for our mortgage and we're not beachfront in Hawaii I'll tell you. I'm guessing you use every trick in your Youtube (and maybe a few private ones!).

For us, for the reasons you talked about, especially the fixing and maintenance, I think timeshares for retirement (a couple of decades away) would make a lot more sense than RVing.

1. Planning. To get it down to 1400 a month probably requires a lot of planning and expertise and time. I'm guessing you have a great spreadsheet of weeks/trades/etc. that I'd love to see if we ever meet in person in the future.
2. Day mismatches. How do you deal with weeks not lining up exactly on checkin checkout? Do you just eat it if there's overlap and/or spend the occasional night in the car?
3. Work. From watching Nomadland it looks like a lot of RVers either work as park hosts and in Camperforce and I guess that would be harder to do in a timeshare (although kind of defeats the purpose of being on vacation!)
Yea, that $1400 for 4 weeks is pretty amazing, must really do good planning and getting deals. And he's using major chains, though I guess with the buy in he does get some of the VIP discounts on points bookings that us resale plebes don't get.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I would be in the timeshare group before the RV group because of the amenities and flexibility. RV's and boats work well if a person has to stay in one area for a longer time, imo.

Bill

RENTER

Reaction score
Yes, I treat my timeshares as a second home. My maintenance fees are less than a second home / condo. A condo often has a HOA of $400-$500 a month. I am paying about $1K more per month for the flexibility to live where I want. This is a very inexpensive "mortgage".
Back in the 80's I decided to use timeshares as a second home I was watching older people have their summer and winter vacation homes broken into and many times used for meth labs.

At first because it was weeks, I would rent out the weekends to cover the maintenance fees and the purchase and use it for myself on the weekdays after cleaning it up.

Now as squatter crisis grows, it is still the right decision 40 years later.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Everything you say is correct... I motivated myself to use every trick I can think of. I never say no to a sales presentation because I earn two free nights most of the time (sometimes more).

I tried to have my ownership where it had the least maintenance. I can use hotel stays when things don't line up. I am doing less travel now that I am working as a real estate agent. I've been using free hotel stays and just more weekend stays in timeshares. Last year was my last fulltime in timeshares. I still am living out of my car, but will have to start paying more for housing. This is hilarious to be sad about spending more money because I am not at luxurious timeshares full time.

I am working on getting my youtube channel to cover my maintenance fees. I still have a LONG way to go, but my dream is to be able to write off all of my maintenance fees and travel for free. Right now I show a tax loss which is essentially like writing off the interest on a mortgage on your taxes.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would be in the timeshare group before the RV group because of the amenities and flexibility. RV's and boats work well if a person has to stay in one area for a longer time, imo.

Bill
Totally agree. That is what I see from most people who use RV's

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yea, that $1400 for 4 weeks is pretty amazing, must really do good planning and getting deals. And he's using major chains, though I guess with the buy in he does get some of the VIP discounts on points bookings that us resale plebes don't get.
I include a lot of free hotel weeks in this... Remember to take points for all the owner updates... That is how you get to $1400/month

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Totally agree. That is what I see from most people who use RV's

Are you able to grab extra vacations , getaways and bonus time for the most of your stays ?

Bill

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you able to grab extra vacations , getaways and bonus time for the most of your stays ?

Bill
Not all, but many. I am currently staying in a worldmark for two days and doing an owner update for two free days. Does that count? And next week, I am staying at a homewood suite covered by the Honors points I got for my annual maintenance. Does that mean I have 9 days this month for free? In mind.. yes So it will be easy to get to $1400 this month

Last month, I paid $399/week for two weeks and stayed for free 14 days

Last edited:

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Everything you say is correct... I motivated myself to use every trick I can think of. I never say no to a sales presentation because I earn two free nights most of the time (sometimes more).

I tried to have my ownership where it had the least maintenance. I can use hotel stays when things don't line up. I am doing less travel now that I am working as a real estate agent. I've been using free hotel stays and just more weekend stays in timeshares. Last year was my last fulltime in timeshares. I still am living out of my car, but will have to start paying more for housing. This is hilarious to be sad about spending more money because I am not at luxurious timeshares full time.

I am working on getting my youtube channel to cover my maintenance fees. I still have a LONG way to go, but my dream is to be able to write off all of my maintenance fees and travel for free. Right now I show a tax loss which is essentially like writing off the interest on a mortgage on your taxes.
So I probably need an actual CPA or something, but I can't see how you can write off anything on Youtube that doesn't directly offset Youtube income. Obviously as you're trying to even get anyone watching youtube stuff, you're just burning money on the time, equipment, and things you might need to make the content. But that's all not applicable to say other income you might have. Just like hobby losses only apply to hobby income for offset.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I probably need an actual CPA or something, but I can't see how you can write off anything on Youtube that doesn't directly offset Youtube income. Obviously as you're trying to even get anyone watching youtube stuff, you're just burning money on the time, equipment, and things you might need to make the content. But that's all not applicable to say other income you might have. Just like hobby losses only apply to hobby income for offset.
My accountant said as long as I am planning on making money and the business is growing, I should be ok. And because I am a real estate agent and timeshare travel is about real estate, I will make money overall so it should be fine. That was the advice I was given. I also had some income renting out a few weeks, so I ended up making $4Kish and spending $17K in maintenance. I don't write off any purchases.

I made more than $25K in real estate sales my in my first six months last year. I will do substantially better this year.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My accountant said as long as I am planning on making money and the business is growing, I should be ok. And because I am a real estate agent and timeshare travel is about real estate, I will make money overall so it should be fine. That was the advice I was given. I also had some income renting out a few weeks, so I ended up making $4Kish and spending $17K in maintenance. I don't write off any purchases.

I made more than $25K in real estate sales my in my first six months last year. I will do substantially better this year.

You look happy. The saying is "if you're grinning, you're winning".

Bill

wmgjr

Reaction score
I include a lot of free hotel weeks in this... Remember to take points for all the owner updates... That is how you get to $1400/month
June will be 1 year FT with my family
Can you imagine FT timeshare with 2 toddlers? Lol
Not only TS strategy but having daycare access every time we move is the real challenge.

We come in at about the same number per month.
This includes splurge / vacation weeks.
All units bought resale
Annual MF $4,220 (but costs include exchange and cash rentals)

We only accept cash for Tours as it directly offsets costs for the week.

We use hotel points to cover gaps.
Much easier and less stressful to avoid gaps.
Booking in advance helps.
Extended residency helps (1 month or more in the same place)

Per my spreadsheet, were saving on average 1k a month compared to our costs back home / traditional living.

Thought about RV and was turned off for the same reasons: initial investment, gas, maintenance, and lack of amenities. RV actually seems more expensive than timeshare but definitely gets better marketing.

I wonder how the TS industry and resale interest would change if TS marketing was as good as RVing?

Keep it up @Clifbell
"Getting out" would be easier if ppl didn't have such a negative opinion on TS!

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
June will be 1 year FT with my family
Can you imagine FT timeshare with 2 toddlers? Lol
Not only TS strategy but having daycare access every time we move is the real challenge.

We come in at about the same number per month.
This includes splurge / vacation weeks.
All units bought resale
Annual MF $4,220 (but costs include exchange and cash rentals)

We only accept cash for Tours as it directly offsets costs for the week.

We use hotel points to cover gaps.
Much easier and less stressful to avoid gaps.
Booking in advance helps.
Extended residency helps (1 month or more in the same place)

Per my spreadsheet, were saving on average 1k a month compared to our costs back home / traditional living.

Thought about RV and was turned off for the same reasons: initial investment, gas, maintenance, and lack of amenities. RV actually seems more expensive than timeshare but definitely gets better marketing.

I wonder how the TS industry and resale interest would change if TS marketing was as good as RVing?

Keep it up @Clifbell
"Getting out" would be easier if ppl didn't have such a negative opinion on TS!
I wonder with these posts - what sort of units do you own / are you staying in? 1,2,3BR? I calibrate my prices to 2BR, but realize that raises the costs too in many parts.

wmgjr

Reaction score
I wonder with these posts - what sort of units do you own / are you staying in? 1,2,3BR? I calibrate my prices to 2BR, but realize that raises the costs too in many parts.
Last year was mostly 1 bedrooms.
This year were averaging more 2 bedrooms.

I own 3 2 bedroom lockoffs and 1 1bedroom

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do similar, but in my case it is mostly for work. I work in D.C. and rather then rent an apartment, I bought up lots of timeshare points, mostly Wyndham as they have two resorts in the area (Alexandria and National Harbor), but also Hilton (The District in Georgetown). Last year I spent 224 nights in timeshares. I usually only stay Mon-Thurs nights and on weekends I go home to PA or stay in the area in a cheaper hotel (the Dulles area is good for this).

wmgjr

Reaction score
I do similar, but in my case it is mostly for work. I work in D.C. and rather then rent an apartment, I bought up lots of timeshare points, mostly Wyndham as they have two resorts in the area (Alexandria and National Harbor), but also Hilton (The District in Georgetown). Last year I spent 224 nights in timeshares. I usually only stay Mon-Thurs nights and on weekends I go home to PA or stay in the area in a cheaper hotel (the Dulles area is good for this).
Smart.
Are you self employed?
Dont lease or buy a place.
Tax court ruled against someone (in almost your same situation- DC area too) who bought a place instead of staying in hotels.
Said he established a new tax home and was no longer considered ""travelling"" for business.