• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV annual mtg Dec 17

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Just received notice for Dec 17 09 , 9 am mtg

Proxy has 2 names for election of ONE director but write in space

No idea who Beatrice Case and Vic H Henry are - BUT this is an opportunity for us to write in a director

Anyone planning to be there? Volunteer for position that we can all join in voting to Board?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
As usual WKORV-N had no names listed at all. They don't even pretend to have owners elect a board.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There are 3 boards - one for each resort and a joint board. There is some overlap.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Notice the lack of time BOD allows :(

Just received notice for Dec 17 09 , 9 am mtg

Proxy has 2 names for election of ONE director but write in space

No idea who Beatrice Case and Vic H Henry are - BUT this is an opportunity for us to write in a director

Anyone planning to be there? Volunteer for position that we can all join in voting to Board?

My famous gripe:wall: -- Starwood never gives owners much notice because they do not want you there!!! It looks like less than two weeks -- isn't there requirements for further notice than that? Marriott gives us the next year's owner's meeting date for next year at the present year's meeting -- a year's notice!!!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Of the regular posters who own at WKORV, I think David (David n Robin) would be a great WKORV board member. He is smart, assertive, and a little bit ornery, and they wouldn't have a chance of steam rolling him!

Nodge would be great too, but he is under deep cover and they probably won't let you wear snorkel gear to BOD meetings! :D

Catazog

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also just received notice of the WKORV annual meeting and proxy packet. Not only do they give scant notice for the December 17 meeting, but the deadline for their receipt of the proxy cards in Orlando is Monday, December 14. And we received the notice today, Friday, December 11!They don't allow fax or email responses, so it's physically impossible for us to get the proxies to them by the deadline. My husband sent this letter to Starwood via mystarcentral this evening (I'm sure it won't have an effect but he felt good writing it!):

Subject: Insufficient time for proxy response

This is an absolute and total joke.

Today -- Friday, December 11 -- I received the mailed notice of Annual Meeting for the Ocean Resort Master Association and Owners Association. It indicates proxy requests have to be DELIVERED to Boca Raton, FL by Monday, December 14. There is physically not enough time for that to occur, even if it's mailed the day (Saturday) after receipt.

The packet has a date of December 3, but clearly wasn't mailed that day, and as it's pre-sorted first class, there's no indication of a mailing date.

It's as though SVO does not want any member input or proxy before the annual meeting, especially in a year where maintenance fees and assessments skyrocketed with SVO placing the entire burden of deadbeat owners on its still-paying members, rather than sharing in the problem.

This does not bode well for proper management of this property for the owners to get such short notice of the meeting, and a deadline for return of proxy instructions literally one business day before they have to be delivered. SVO had better address this.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I sent the following email to Carla Smith, SVO Director, Consumer Affairs, and I encourage others to contact her as well:

Carla.Smith@starwoodvo.com

RE: Late mailing of WKORV Annual Meeting notices and proxy ballots

Dear Ms. Smith,

I am very concerned, because WKORV owners on both the East and West Coasts just received this information in the mail today, Dec. 11, 2009. Since the meeting is Dec. 17th, and the proxies must be received in 3 days (Monday, Nov. 17th) I do not believe this mailing meets the requirements of the law for owner notification of an annual meeting and election.

Also, the mailing contains zero info. about the BOD nominees, so how are owners expected to make an informed decision?

Please advise.

Sincerely,
Denise M
WKORV Owner
SVR Owner
SDO Owner
TUG Starwood Forum Moderator

Last edited:

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great letter Denise! :)

I hope many other owners write letters too. We all know this meeting won't have a quorum, so the existing board will likely decide between the coin flip choice given.

At what point do we go past TUG postings and nice letters to Carla? It is beyond time to hold Starwood accountable, whether that be in the court of public opinion or the court of law. I applaud anyone with the wisdom, courage and means to speak with the media and/or hire counsel to demand answers on behalf of all owners.

WKORV is not my battle because I don't own there. But the issues here with Starwood are similar to what we've seen elsewhere. I remain an owner with Starwood because the real estate is actually owned by us owners, not Starwood. I like the property I own at. It is ours! Starwood is the management company and they are abusing the responsibilities we've entrusted in them. We need Starwood to take corrective action to resolve owner complaints, whilst we prepare to fire them as the management company if they fail to do so.

PS - Carla, I know you are reading this board. Please create an account. Please join this conversation. I promise to be nice to you. Please tell us where we are wrong or else speak up and let us know what Starwood is going to do to start resolving our complaints, so we can get back to being happy customers.

Last edited:

pharmgirl

Reaction score
well, I will write in my husband's name (mine is not on address - annoyance since they insist both parties be on tour and sign) and mail. I do not want to just continue without at least some resistance

I will also write separate letters as well as email
How arrogant and also foolish to infuriate their best customers in a bad economy when most companies would try to keep them

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I sent a message to Beatrice on FB to see if she is the person running for the board. I'll let you know if she responds.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great letter Denise! :)

I hope many other owners write letters too. We all know this meeting won't have a quorum, so the existing board will likely decide between the coin flip choice given.

At what point do we go past TUG postings and nice letters to Carla? It is beyond time to hold Starwood accountable, whether that be in the court of public opinion or the court of law. I applaud anyone with the wisdom, courage and means to speak with the media and/or hire counsel to demand answers on behalf of all owners.

WKORV is not my battle because I don't own there. But the issues here with Starwood are similar to what we've seen elsewhere. I remain an owner with Starwood because the real estate is actually owned by us owners, not Starwood. I like the property I own at. It is ours! Starwood is the management company and they are abusing the responsibilities we've entrusted in them. We need Starwood to take corrective action to resolve owner complaints, whilst we prepare to fire them as the management company if they fail to do so.

PS - Carla, I know you are reading this board. Please create an account. Please join this conversation. I promise to be nice to you. Please tell us where we are wrong or else speak up and let us know what Starwood is going to do to start resolving our complaints, so we can get back to being happy customers.

I agree at what point do we hold Starwood accountable. I sent a message via mystarcentral and I haven't gotten a response yet.

I'm not sure why we are being nice to Carla. I'm curious does someone have direct contact with Carla? Is she providing us with information that is helping us?

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe it is always important to remain nice and professional when speaking with people. That doesn't mean we cannot vigorously defend our positions, which I do and will continue to do until this matter is resolved. It just means to not attack folks personally and/or lose your cool. My issues are with the actions of Starwood as a company, not any individuals who work there. I remain willing to work with them to find common ground where we can compromise to fix their broken new exchange system. If Starwood representatives become rude to or yell at customers while those customers try in good faith, with a calm and patient demeanor, to seek resolution... well, such an action if it were to occur would just reflect poorly on Starwood as a company. So far, I have not experienced that or heard others report that. We can be civil while we strongly disagree.

If we need to go beyond working with Starwood employees to resolve our complaints, we may take legal and/or media action against Starwood and not any individual employees. I believe if you lose your cool or act irrationally through anger, you lose your case.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree at what point do we hold Starwood accountable. I sent a message via mystarcentral and I haven't gotten a response yet.

I'm not sure why we are being nice to Carla. I'm curious does someone have direct contact with Carla? Is she providing us with information that is helping us?

Yes - Carla responds to email. I also think it is very important to be courteous in our contact with Starwood, if we expect to get any response.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe it is always important to remain nice and professional when speaking with people. That doesn't mean we cannot vigorously defend our positions, which I do and will continue to do until this matter is resolved. It just means to not attack folks personally and/or lose your cool. My issues are with the actions of Starwood as a company, not any individuals who work there. I remain willing to work with them to find common ground where we can compromise to fix their broken new exchange system. If Starwood representatives become rude to or yell at customers while those customers try in good faith, with a calm and patient demeanor, to seek resolution... well, such an action if it were to occur would just reflect poorly on Starwood as a company. So far, I have not experienced that or heard others report that. We can be civil while we strongly disagree.

If we need to go beyond working with Starwood employees to resolve our complaints, we may take legal and/or media action against Starwood and not any individual employees. I believe if you lose your cool or act irrationally through anger, you lose your case.
I think, I didn't write what I meant. I meant to say why aren't we being more frank with Ms. Smith. I don't mean to verbly yell at someone and call her names. I would never do that. But I do think we need to ask more DIRECT questions and get some ANSWERS. I think, her position is high up enough that she can handle this type of questioning or she wouldn't be in this position if she couldn't. In real life, I'm a polite person. Honest!!! However, I will have to say it is getting old just talking about starwood when we aren't getting anywhere. I feel like enough people on this board attempted to do something but I'm not sure if it has made an impact on Starwood.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - Carla responds to email. I also think it is very important to be courteous in our contact with Starwood, if we expect to get any response.
Of course, I would be polite. But I think, we need to ask harder questions or get better answers. Since she has responded to you via e-mail have you been able to figure out Starwood's position with all this stuff going?

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think, I didn't write what I meant. I meant to say why aren't we being more frank with Ms. Smith. I don't mean to verbly yell at someone and call her names. I would never do that. But I do think we need to ask more DIRECT questions and get some ANSWERS. I think, her position is high up enough that she can handle this type of questioning or she wouldn't be in this position if she couldn't. In real life, I'm a polite person. Honest!!! However, I will have to say it is getting old just talking about starwood when we aren't getting anywhere. I feel like enough people on this board attempted to do something but I'm not sure if it has made an impact on Starwood.

Ok. Yes, I agree with you. Many of us ask very DIRECT questions, yet fail to get reasonable answers.

For me, it feels like we are at an impasse. I cannot even obtain from them the 'fine print' about all the new rules & regulations, let alone their legal justification around requiring non-SVN members to cancel valid reservations before doing a 'request first' exchange with a 3rd party (that being, II - a wholly separate corporation).

I hope I am wrong about that. I am getting no written response to my reasonable questions. Perhaps Starwood is just waiting to see if folks here are bluffing, waiting to see if we spend the time & money necessary to further our complaints outside of a message board, phone calls and letters to them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Of course, I would be polite. But I think, we need to ask harder questions or get better answers. Since she has responded to you via e-mail have you been able to figure out Starwood's position with all this stuff going?

The most specific info. I received from her was the fact that the new depositing rules do not apply to fixed weeks, and I did post that on TUG.

As far as the other issues, I don't expect her to give away any inside information, but at least we can continue to express to her our dissatisfaction with many of the changes that Starwood has made. If enough people contact her, it may result in some changes.

Gmarine has had extensive phone conversations with her, so you might want to look at some of George's posts on the topic.

j4sharks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am here in Maui and will be enjoying my week at WKORV during the owners' meeting! What a nice treat. Is there a location and time for the meeting?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am here in Maui and will be enjoying my week at WKORV during the owners' meeting! What a nice treat. Is there a location and time for the meeting?

Westin Maui Resort and Spa (hotel)
Hana-Khei Meeting Room
Thursday, Dec. 17, 2009 12:30 pm

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
One way to help Starwood know we are unhappy is to withhold your proxy for voting, and for quorum. If they don't have a quorum, they have to adjourn the election. Unfortunately, I think the quorum requirements are quite low. On the North group, it seems that they did not give us a way to cast a NO VOTE option. So to accomplish that, I named myself as proxy and returned the proxies.

Here is the letter I included with them.
December 11, 2009
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am withholding my proxies from the Boards of the various associations.
I am also withholding my vote from being counted as present for a quorum.
I do this for the following reasons.
The notification of the meeting was received too late to make arrangements to attend. I received in on December 9, 2009 for a meeting on December 17, 2009. No method has been provided to allow members to participate via phone or internet, while I understand that board members are allowed to do so.
The agenda’s do not include any specific information about any items that will be discussed or voted on at the meetings. Surely the meetings have some items that will be discussed, like election of the board of directors. That information is available ahead of the meeting and should be included on the agenda.
The proxies do not identify the board members, provide contact information for them, or identify any ties they have with Starwood and its subsidiaries. They do not identify which members are up for (re)election, nor do they provide biographic information for the board members.
I respectfully request the above information be sent to me at my address of record, which is included in this letter.
I suggest that the boards look at the practices of major US corporations for running their board meetings. They provide the information I requested above when they solicit proxies. As an owner at the Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas North, I expect the same should be provided to all members in the association.
Furthermore, I believe that Board Meeting minutes should be provided to all owners within 14 days of board meetings, and I ask that the minutes of the last two board meetings, along with the scheduled meeting on December 17, 2009, be sent to me.
Sincerely yours,

Gregory F Buchanan

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
There are 3 boards - one for each resort and a joint board. There is some overlap.

Actually, there are four associations. One for the WKORV apts, one for the WKORVN apts, one for the shared pools, etc. and one for the SVN Club. As an owner, you are a member in three associations.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, there are four associations. One for the WKORV apts, one for the WKORVN apts, one for the shared pools, etc. and one for the SVN Club. As an owner, you are a member in three associations.

Gotcha!

Greg - did you overnight your proxy to arrive by Monday?

How are they going to have a quorum when they materials just arrived to day, and must be received by Starwood by Monday?

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One way to help Starwood know we are unhappy is to withhold your proxy for voting, and for quorum. If they don't have a quorum, they have to adjourn the election. Unfortunately, I think the quorum requirements are quite low. On the North group, it seems that they did not give us a way to cast a NO VOTE option. So to accomplish that, I named myself as proxy and returned the proxies.

Here is the letter I included with them.
This is a great letter... I like it because it is a little more threating without being rude. Great letter. YOu'll have to let us know the outcome..

On the side note, I did contact Beatrice on FB and she responded to me immediately. But when I asked if she knew our proxy was mailed out late she didn't respond.