• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WEEKS owners - FACTS/QUESTIONS - new RCI Program

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
7 am EST - I am successfully (and quite easily in RCI.COM).

What I have seen:

Calculator is there (and quite sophisticated) - using an Aruba resort, February, 3 bedroom - got a "60". You can select your actual room number ! and it is correct !

My "tigers" which I always felt go me "the best" are showing 38.

Appears "60" is the max, for those really, really difficult trades (who deposits a February 3 bedroom on the Aruba beach?)

In searching, you can select "all" or just inventory available.

So far, speed, accessability is fine.

They did NOT adjust the search engine to allow you to select all options thru drop down, and THEN hit the database. (still stupid on their part - they are wasting computer/IO cycles). but so far so good.

Adjustment schedule is posted - 276+ days is 100% of trading power !

There are deposits "eligible to combined" and some "not eligible".

QUESTION: what makes it ineligible? haven't figured that out yet?

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ineligible to combine weeks seem to include weeks that are used for ongoing searches, or to hold an exchange, or that are "special" weeks that exist only in RCI's computers (like 1+1 bonus weeks.) So far, Wyndham invisible deposits are also ineligible to combine.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Using the European site, I cannot get the calculator to work. It will accept all of the information except the week number.

My search only shows rental prices, but actually some rather good ones! But then I don't have anything on deposit.

The 276 days is going to mean many will not deposit until then. Why have to pay m/f's ahead of time if you don't get any benefit from it? This will mean problems for those wanting to get their ff tickets at the 330 day mark so the seats don't disappear, but the timeshare deposits may not be in yet for that period in the place they want to go. It will also mean some less interest income for resorts, which got that benefit from people depositing early to get better trading power. IMHO this is a very negative change all the way around.

What I have seen:

Calculator is there (and quite sophisticated) - using an Aruba resort, February, 3 bedroom - got a "60". You can select your actual room number ! and it is correct !

Appears "60" is the max, for those really, really difficult trades (who deposits a February 3 bedroom on the Aruba beach?)

They did NOT adjust the search engine to allow you to select all options thru drop down, and THEN hit the database. (still stupid on their part - they are wasting computer/IO cycles). but so far so good.

sandkastle4966

TUG Member
Reaction score

What I have seen:

This is the most interesting information IMHO: a drop down of all avail. by trade power:
(total units is 144,660 - I added the % and is approximate - which is why it doesn't add up)

Trade Power
1 - 10 [62599] - 42%
11 - 14 [29756] - 20%
15 - 18 [27197] - 18%
19 - 23 [17605] - 12%
24 - 32 [7077] - 5%
33 + [422] - .3%

A data point of just one:

Power required to get a specific ski week in 2012 - "38". The deposit for that exact week/resort/size, etc - just don't know a room number - "36".

Perhaps there should be a tread in the members section on specific findings and differences?

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not functional with Google Chrome

I had to switch back from Google Chrome to Internet Explorer to get proper functionality (I didn't try Firefox). The toggle between view-all and view-your-deposits doesn't work in Chrome.

Overall I'm very impressed -- for once RCI has gotten something right!

AFARR

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, I tried this AM (their calculator) and got:

My BIS Duck (Outer Banks)...Wk 39, 3Br Lock Off:

If I deposit it as the whole thing...I get 21 points (credits?). If I deposit it as the A side and the B side, I get 31 Points (17 + 14).

Just for grins...if I owned week 30 (late July..high/prime season there) in the same unit...47 Points or 38 + 31 (total of 69)!!.

My 2 Br. Outer Banks Beach Club II Wk 37 shows as 23 points max trade value...and my deposit is showing as the same (despite only depositing it 4 months before the use date for the 2010 week).

Not all the way up to the 60 points mentioned as the max, but not down at the bottom either...and it looks like I could split my week and get some deals.

Looks like it does help to own a lock-off...much better value to deposit separately.

My 2 Br. (A side) on the BIS Duck (wk 39...still red season, but definitely 'pink' after labor day, unrated resort)..shows as 17 points, vs. the also 'pink' wk. 37 2 Br OBBC II at 23 points (which is a gold crown rated resort)...so that shows some of the weighting towards the Resort status. Sea Scape (same week 37 or 39...I checked all the numbers using both weeks to make sure there were no drastic changes)..shows as a 19 (Hospitality resort).

So, there is some weighting for Hospitality/Silver or Gold Crown.

AFARR

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weighting on resort status is a big negative for their valuation system as it is an almost irrelevent factor. On the OBX, the highest demand resorts are OBBC I and II (GC and SC) and right behind it BIS-Duck (standard). Those are the resorts that should have roughly equal numbers at the top end. The lowest demand resorts (because they are off the beach) are BIS-Kitty Hawk (former GC, now Hospitality) and Seascape. If they are basing this on supply and demand, as they should, the beachfront resorts should be on top and the off the beach resorts lower.

My BIS Duck (Outer Banks)...Wk 39, 3Br Lock Off:

If I deposit it as the whole thing...I get 21 points (credits?). If I deposit it as the A side and the B side, I get 31 Points (17 + 14).

Just for grins...if I owned week 30 (late July..high/prime season there) in the same unit...47 Points or 38 + 31 (total of 69)!!.

My 2 Br. Outer Banks Beach Club II Wk 37 shows as 23 points max trade value...and my deposit is showing as the same (despite only depositing it 4 months before the use date for the 2010 week).

Not all the way up to the 60 points mentioned as the max, but not down at the bottom either...and it looks like I could split my week and get some deals.

Looks like it does help to own a lock-off...much better value to deposit separately.

My 2 Br. (A side) on the BIS Duck (wk 39...still red season, but definitely 'pink' after labor day, unrated resort)..shows as 17 points, vs. the also 'pink' wk. 37 2 Br OBBC II at 23 points (which is a gold crown rated resort)...so that shows some of the weighting towards the Resort status. Sea Scape (same week 37 or 39...I checked all the numbers using both weeks to make sure there were no drastic changes)..shows as a 19 (Hospitality resort).

So, there is some weighting for Hospitality/Silver or Gold Crown.

AFARR

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correction - The Availibility tables do seem to be by month, as there are 12 numbers. It is just that the graph with the numbers does not match up with the bar with the months above it!

crazyhorse

Reaction score
There are in my opinion now too many threads discussing the same new RCI weeks program.

The threads are getting in a tangle.

Moderator: Could we have them tidied up please?

::confused:

sandkastle4966

TUG Member
Reaction score
Crazyhorse - just start with page 5 in this thread - everything up to now has been rumor (a lot seems to be accurate), and a whole lot of opinions on how awful RCI is. as of 1 am monday, nov 15 (page 5) - should be fact based, althought there are already opinions being stated. I personally will be trying to state what I see (FACT).

There is a separate OPINIONs thread.

sandkastle4966

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have confirmations that I made Pre-change that are greater value for a lesser trade (58 for a 35). Now that I can see that I had 2 deposits that combined to make "enough", I called RCI.

per the VC:

There is no more "reconfirms". The "button" doesn't exist.

If I cancel the trade, (and hope to get "it" back), the "58 week" stays under the OLD SYSTEM, and doesn't become a "58".

(I noticed that the ineligble weeks were tied to ongoing searches).

Wyndham deposits have NO CHANGE. they do not have a "trade value" and cannot be combined at this point in time.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The 276 days is going to mean many will not deposit until then. Why have to pay m/f's ahead of time if you don't get any benefit from it?
That's the "9 months" that it's always been. One advantage of doing it even earlier than that is to ensure that you can choose to deposit the week that gives you the best trading value (at resorts where you can tell them which week to deposit).

This is the most interesting information IMHO: a drop down of all avail. by trade power:
(total units is 144,660 - I added the % and is approximate - which is why it doesn't add up)

Trade Power
1 - 10 [62599] - 42%
11 - 14 [29756] - 20%
15 - 18 [27197] - 18%
19 - 23 [17605] - 12%
24 - 32 [7077] - 5%
33 + [422] - .3%
I found that most interesting, too. Your 33+ is probably just 33-38 (the ones you can see). If you open it up to all, I was able to see 526 units 33+.

The resorts with units available from 50-60 can be counted on one hand. I'm sure there are much more that would earn 50-60, but very few available.

With only 526 units from 33-60, that explains why so many people appeared to have "tigers". Someone with a 32 could still see 144,234 units while someone with a 60 would see 144,760. While the second has almost double the trading power, they would see almost the exact same inventory. And someone with a 23 would still see 135k units.

I suspect that we've had 60 bands for quite a while (probably since 5/31/09), but just didn't realize it.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI Snagging Trading Power

So I check my deposit value for a Dec. 2011 week via the calculator; then I check available units for the same date and size. Lo and behold, it takes one additional trading power point/credit beyond the value they will provide me to trade back into the same unit.

Anyone else noticing this?

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mods, please forgive this repetition of my post in the other exchange thread:

Guys, you know RCI is reading everything we write - - nothing wrong with that, but it's not our job to point RCI towards ratings that we think need lowering or exchange costs we think need to be raised. LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!

DocPepsi

Reaction score
I have to say that so far, I am very pleased/impressed with what information they are making available.

The exchange planner is fantastic, I can find out the exact number of units available in a given month, and the average TP down to a pretty low level of detail (Kona Hawaii for example).

Also, this was interesting: http://www.rci.com/RCI/RCIW/RCIW_index?body=RCIW_Program_Activity&selYear=2009

Not sure if everyone saw that.

I'm interested to see if that deposit calculator can be accessed by those who are not RCI members. Maybe folks that have left for other places can now see what their ownerships are truly worth? Also, this must be awful for any timeshare companies still in sales! I remember going to a timeshare presentation for Vacation Village at Parkway, and them selling the whole 'Red Week, Gold Crown, we are the best value'. Well proof is out there now, not even close to the best!

:banana: :whoopie:

Stricky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in how the left over points show up after an exchange. If any exchanges today please post where you see your extra points show up. For example you book a 17 using your 20. Where are the 3 extra now?

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
New RCI Weeks: What's Missing?

So far, I see two things we've lost:

1) Exchange Priority. For one of my deposits, I had exchange priority into the same resort group. My lower value deposit was able to see stuff that a higher trading value deposit couldn't see. That's no longer the case. Hopefully this is just a temporary oversight.

2) Trading Value Disregarded at 45 Days. The worst blue week studio could exchange into anything that was still available at 45 days. This appears to no longer be the case. All of my deposits used to be able to see essentially the same inventory within 45 days, but now the lower traders don't see the best units (and even my best trader doesn't see everything). Trading values appear to drop at 90 days, 30 days and 14 days. This is actually a more fair way to do things, IMHO.

PClapham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
Way to pre-try a deposit for rci?

Has there been any discussion of this? My ideal would be to try a deposit to see how much it would be worth before committing that deposit to rci.

Thanks
Anita

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
The "Manage Your Deposits" tab offers a "Deposit Calculator." While the calculator isn't yet working for me ... it seems to promise a forecast of your trade power before you make the decision to deposit.

EDITED TO ADD:
Deposit Calculator now working for Firefox 3.6.12 on Mac OS X 10.5.8. Not yet working on Safari; yes, I can see it using IE on my PC.

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
All you have to do is go to the "Manage Your Deposits" tab, click on the "Deposit Calculator" button on the right side, and type in the name of the property you want to test (to RCI's credit, you can test any property that trades in RCI - - it's not limited to properties you've previously told them you own).

[Try it using MS Internet Explorer if you're having trouble getting the button to work on the browser you otherwise use]

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I check my deposit value for a Dec. 2011 week via the calculator; then I check available units for the same date and size. Lo and behold, it takes one additional trading power point/credit beyond the value they will provide me to trade back into the same unit.

Anyone else noticing this?
This brings up a point that Mel and I were debating last night. RCI only gives partial credit for late deposits (later than 9 months.) Does this mean that they will charge a discounted price when booking weeks less than 9 months out, but more than 45 days out? (RCI had already stated that weeks with less than 45 days before check-in would be discounted.) Mel thought there would be discounts from 9 months to 45 days out, and I thought there wouldn't be.

I have been looking into this, and it seems that RCI sometimes gives a discounted price if you book a week from 9 months to 45 days before check-in, but it depends on whether they expect to have surplus weeks or not. For example, Sheraton Vistana has big discounts for most spring 2011 weeks (generally about 11 points for a 2-bedroom) versus spring 2012 (about 22 points for a 2-bedroom.) However, Easter week 2011 at Sheraton Vistana costs almost as much as Easter Week 2012. A similar pattern can be found at Vacation Village at Parkway, with discounts for spring 2011, but not for Easter. Both of these are huge resorts that may fill up at Easter but not during the other spring weeks.

On the other hand, there seems to be little or no discounts at the Manhattan Club. Winter 2011 costs about the same as winter 2012. Similarly, Winners Circle (San Diego) is charging the same for spring 2011 as for spring 2012. Presumably, RCI has no trouble filling these resorts, so it doesn't feel a need to discount weeks there more than 45 days out.

It should be noted that RCI Points doesn't discount starting 4 months out, even though owners don't get full Points value unless they deposit before then. So, it doesn't surprise me that some weeks owners will get only partial credit, yet RCI will charge full price for their weeks. I actually don't mind -- a lot of units deposited into RCI sit empty even though their owners received a trade. RCI has to make up that "breakage" from sonewhere.

northwoodsgal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How does this make sense regarding my Jackson Hole Towncenter week 36?

If I deposit my 2011 week 276+ days out, I will receive 33 points.

However, my currently deposited week, which was deposited one week shy of a year (350+ days out) is being given only 27 points.

Of course, now I can't see online units that were available last week.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
One plus for the new RCI regime is that they now have made similar availibility tables as have been provided in the European version of the RCI Directory availible for all resort areas, split into 4 categories, but divided a bit different than by month. They also have an average of trading power needed for each segment.

Orlando is shown with high availibility all year, but experience would indicate some seasons would be different. South Africa does show a variance but in flipping through the regions in the country it would appear that all time periods in all SA regions are in the two lowest categoies of availibility. The Outer Banks shows to be in the second lowest category all year long, which does not make sense as the summer months should be lower and the dead of winter (weeks 48-50 and 1-6) should be the highest availibility level.
These graphs are based on availability, not supply and demand - and not by percentages, but but the number of units available. As such, Orlando will by definition be high avaialability at all times, and and area with few resorts (like CT with only two very small resorts) will always have low availability.
Lots of the average trading power numbers also did not make sense, such as the Charleston, SC area being lower than the Outer Banks. Charleston is one of the highest demand compared to supply areas in the US. The London numbers, particularly April and May also made no sense at all.

Since I have no RCI deposits I cannot check on availiibility although I did try to use their trading power calculator but it is broken. There is no way to enter the week number, although it would take all of the other information.
Those trading power numbers may have been "actual" trading power when the trade was made, rather than maximum or what you get if you deposit more than 9 months out. Thus it would be a more true reflection of the real cost of exchanging in. We don't know what percentage of RCI members pay their maintenance fees early, but we always see a spike in availability after the beginning of the year (when most fees are due, and many members make their deposits). It that is the case, trade power required to trade in will be lower.
I had to switch back from Google Chrome to Internet Explorer to get proper functionality (I didn't try Firefox). The toggle between view-all and view-your-deposits doesn't work in Chrome.
I had to switch from IE to Chrome - couldn't open the calculator with IE, probably something about my popup settings.
Weighting on resort status is a big negative for their valuation system as it is an almost irrelevent factor. On the OBX, the highest demand resorts are OBBC I and II (GC and SC) and right behind it BIS-Duck (standard). Those are the resorts that should have roughly equal numbers at the top end. The lowest demand resorts (because they are off the beach) are BIS-Kitty Hawk (former GC, now Hospitality) and Seascape. If they are basing this on supply and demand, as they should, the beachfront resorts should be on top and the off the beach resorts lower.
When I looked at availability on the outer banks this morning, Duck had many more units available than Kitty Hawk, suggesting that it is not in fact more popular.

Duck currently has 244 units available - with a trade power range of 3-23, 132 of them are 2BR or better. Kitty Hawk has 110 units available, TP 4-36, 33 of them 2BR or larger (and includes a few 4BR units). While there are Thanksgiving units available at Duck, there are none at Kitty Hawk.
That's unusual, almost everything I have checked in less than what RCI will give for a deposit. But I did notice a handful of strange situations:

Christmas week (more than 30 days out, less than 45) at a couple of resorts. #3660 in Leads SD, 30 credits to check into a studio on Dec 17, but only 14 credits (18 max) if you deposit it today. 30 Credits for a 1BR at #1965 in Portugal checking in on Dec 19 or 26th, 30 credits to exchange in, only 12 (15 max) to deposit today. Very strange indeed.

What resort & week do you own, maybe someone else can verify
So far, I see two things we've lost:

1) Exchange Priority. For one of my deposits, I had exchange priority into the same resort group. My lower value deposit was able to see stuff that a higher trading value deposit couldn't see. That's no longer the case. Hopefully this is just a temporary oversight.

2) Trading Value Disregarded at 45 Days. The worst blue week studio could exchange into anything that was still available at 45 days. This appears to no longer be the case. All of my deposits used to be able to see essentially the same inventory within 45 days, but now the lower traders don't see the best units (and even my best trader doesn't see everything). Trading values appear to drop at 90 days, 30 days and 14 days. This is actually a more fair way to do things, IMHO.

The deposit trading power drops at those dates, but look closely at a few areas, and you will see something entirely different.

Take one of Carolinian's "favorites" for example, Vacation Village at Parkway:

Just looking at 2BR units, you can trade in now for 7 credits... or in mid-May of 2011 for the same 7 credits. It will cost you 18 credits the first 2 weeks of August (and presumably all of July except there are 2BR units available), then back down to 7 credits except Thanksgiving (16 credits) or Christmas (18) or New Year (16). Then 12 Credits or more from January 2012 on.

Those drops for deposit amounts don't seem to correlate with the cost of exchanges which drop quicker in some cases, though there are also some units that are not dropping so fast.

AFARR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mel...

Duck currently has 244 units available - with a trade power range of 3-23, 132 of them are 2BR or better. Kitty Hawk has 110 units available, TP 4-36, 33 of them 2BR or larger (and includes a few 4BR units). While there are Thanksgiving units available at Duck, there are none at Kitty Hawk.

Couple of thoughts on Duck vs. Kitty Hawk. Duck is fully built, KH is not. Most weeks I see in resale are for points at Kitty Hawk (it is more recently constructed, and probably got hit harder for sales of points than Duck), most resales at BIS Duck are weeks (there are some points conversions).

I don't (yet) have an RCI Points account...but to get a better comparison, you'd probably have to look at both Points listings and Weeks Listings for both resorts and total them that way.

Carolinian is correct on the preferences...(BIS Duck and OBBC I & II) are more desirable (to those that know the area) than Sea Scape or BIS Kitty Hawk. I have stayed in SS before....and had no complaints, but would much rather stay at one of the other places..

AFARR