• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Marketplace spam again? [Judy Boulay]

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not EVERYONE...

She must have sent to everyone within the Marketplace. I have two adds and both got the same message as reported by others.

See post #22 above, in which csxjohn reports having been spared.

I don't want you to feel slighted or left out John --- want me to send you some spam? :D

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
See post #22 above, in which csxjohn reports having been spared.

I don't want you to feel slighted or left out John --- want me to send you some spam? :D

He needs to make up his mind :rofl:

Possibly spam but probably scam. I get plenty of scam emails from Craig's List.

I got this one this morning.

Hello,
I will like to know if you have September 10-13 available,pls get back to me with the cost and availabilities.

andyg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad I did a search!

I responded yesterday and got an email back. What threw me off was that I had answered all of her questions in my previous email. Here's what "she" wrote:
-----------------
Andy,

Thank you for your response to my inquiry regarding your timeshare. I am interested in purchasing it. Is it owned by you or are you acting as a broker? I am a private buyer.

I would like you to confirm the information as on the ad such as weeks of availability for the year, your final price and any other information you think I should know. Can the resort be exchanged with any other resort?

Please respond as soon as possible as I look forward to closing soon.

Sincerely,
Judy Boulay
--------------------

Sounds pretty legit except for the last line. I get the feeling that down the line I'd get a "send money to expedite" email.

If you guys hadn't posted, I would have fallen for it! THANKS!

Andy

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I responded yesterday and got an email back. What threw me off was that I had answered all of her questions in my previous email. Here's what "she" wrote:
-----------------
Andy,

Thank you for your response to my inquiry regarding your timeshare. I am interested in purchasing it. Is it owned by you or are you acting as a broker? I am a private buyer.

I would like you to confirm the information as on the ad such as weeks of availability for the year, your final price and any other information you think I should know. Can the resort be exchanged with any other resort?

Sincerely,
Judy Boulay
--------------------

Sounds pretty legit except for the last line. I get the feeling that down the line I'd get a "send money to expedite" email.

If you guys hadn't posted, I would have fallen for it! THANKS!

Andy

Since you registered with TUG today your ad wasn't in the marketplace here. Where did you have your ad?

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I got a message from her yesterday and responded. It sounded legit, so I'm glad to see this thread.

cathield

TUG Member
Reaction score
got a reply...

It would appear that you provided a phone number to "judy".
Please let us know what (if any) "follow-up contact" you subsequently get from having provided that info....

Just received a reply from 'Judy': "Cathie,

Sincerely,
Judy Boulay"

I'm frustrated..how do I tell a legit inquiry from something like this? I'm trying to unload 2 timeshares for my elderly mother and I already didn't feel confident about how to do this without wasting time before the next maintenance fees are due and dealing with garbage like this. I wasn't expecting easy here, I just thought I was being cautious using this site.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Judy" responds (multiple times) with apparent buyer enthusiasm...

Sincerely,
Judy Boulay"

I'm frustrated..how do I tell a legit inquiry from something like this? I'm trying to unload 2 timeshares for my elderly mother and I already didn't feel confident about how to do this without wasting time before the next maintenance fees are due and dealing with garbage like this. I wasn't expecting easy here, I just thought I was being cautious using this site.

Yours is really a very good question and an entirely legitimate concern. It's not always clear and straightforward separating the sincere wheat from the bogus chaff, particularly when the ad "respondent" seems reasonably literate and asks (mostly) intelligent timeshare questions.

Generally, I'd be inclined to believe that relatively few scammers would be so brazen as to attempt to "work" the TUG crowd, as there is just far too much knowledge, experience and healthy skepticism here for a scammer / phisher to successfully overcome. In general, it's not going to be a successful venture to bring a Little League level ball game onto a major league playing field, if you'll forgive the sports analogy. :rolleyes:

The "color me dubious" factors in this specific instance of "judy", at least IMnsHO, is the much too-quickly expresssed interest in simultaneously "closing soon" (on at least 20 unrelated listings). The not-so-astute question of "Can the resort be exchanged with any other resorts?" also gives me pause. The latter question clearly indicates a lack of knowledge about the exchange system / process, yet it is coupled with the "want to close soon" (on about 20 timeshares) line. Personally, I just can't (...and I don't) buy it for one moment.

Add to the above the fact that "judy" has a VOIP phone # whose recording has a name which does not match hers. Collectively, my instincts say "phishing or scam". In either case (for me) it's "Bye, Judy". :wave:

To "smoke her out", ask for a legitimate phone # at which you can call her directly, at your own expense (from a "blocked" number, of course), in order to answer any and all questions she might have in as much detail as she might require --- and to get all of her information for use in the preparation of a new deed, before any money even changes hands. My guess is that the silence thereafter will be quite deafening. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

kmac115

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got 1 response from Judy

Got a response from "Judy" on only one of the two that I have for sale.

Response is same as in messages above..

Would like to close soon........

Also asking me for information, which is already in the ad.

What should I do??

If this is really spam/scam, I don't want to get involved.

Thanks,

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes its spam...do not reply.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the Judy Boulay messages as well.

More interestingly, I also got an inquiry on my Redweek ad from Andrew Frechette. Generally, scammers are fewer on Redweek because of the need to register and pay.

I also got the inquiry from Andrew Frechette on one of my Redweek ads:

Hi there,

Is your Timeshare still available for sale? I need more information please so we can negotiate.

Regards,
Andrew

My ad had a ton of details in it which he obviously didn't read. If others got the same reply it's probably a scam or spam.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Au revoir "Andrew", Farewell "Judy"...

I also got the inquiry from Andrew Frechette on one of my Redweek ads:

Hi there,

Is your Timeshare still available for sale? I need more information please so we can negotiate.

Regards,
Andrew

My ad had a ton of details in it which he obviously didn't read. If others got the same reply it's probably a scam or spam.

Methinks that we should perhaps advise the mythical "Andrew Frechette" and "Judy Boulay" to get together with each other --- and just leave the rest of us alone...

Then again, they are quite probably just "one and the same" scammer / spammer / phisher anyhow. :rolleyes:

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
spam

I got one too and replied, she said she would check and see if her sister is interested. rots ov ruck

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got one too and replied, she said she would check and see if her sister is interested. rots ov ruck

Sounds to me like she is harvesting email addresses, and names of Timeshare Owners. For what? Who knows, but it likely isn't good.......

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
To add some info to Theo's post where he said "To "smoke her out", ask for a legitimate phone # at which you can call her directly, at your own expense (from a "blocked" number, of course),."

Anytime you want to call someone and have your number blocked from caller ID, just dial *67 in front of the number you are calling. This works from land lines and cell phones. It is free and it is a per call service.

Now with all the new technology out there that I don't know about there may be something out there to counter act this but it has worked for me every time I have needed to use it.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but...

Sounds to me like she is harvesting email addresses, and names of Timeshare Owners. For what? Who knows, but it likely isn't good.......

Cautious responders won't provide any owner name info --- least of all to unknown "hotmail" addressees.

However, you might well be correct about the harvesting of email addresses, perhaps for use by (or sale to) others for later online advertising and /or solicitation of business for their (...ahem) "services"....:rolleyes: :shrug: :rolleyes:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
interesting, reason he/she was able to send so many messages is that they were actually a paying member (our security features were setup to limit messages for non members only)

ive since of course banned the membership.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
interesting, reason he/she was able to send so many messages is that they were actually a paying member (our security features were setup to limit messages for non members only)

Did they send you a check for $100 from an associate, have you keep the TUG membership, and then wire the balance back to them in Nigeria?

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sincerely,
Judy Boulay"

I received almost identical response to my TUG ad. Looks like a case of mass production of the same text to keep playing games.

cathield

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thank you, Brian

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I responded to her initial email request for more info before I saw this thread. She actually wrote back with a couple more questions and sounds like a legit buyer. Considering how many people got the same initial email, I've decided not to answer her.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
new one today

Here's a new one I got today in response to a Craig's List ad for a TS for sale in NC. It made me laugh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
How are you doing today?

My names is Holly Bowen from CANADA,i have being in US for over 13years before i relocated to UNITED CANADA ..

But i will like to visit US for my honeymoon... I and My Wife we got married resently and we like to visit US for our

honeymoon. we dont smoke and we dont drink neither do we have pets...

Kindly check if we can use 5 nights at your place from (SECTEMBER 18th - 22nd - 2012) OR (OCTOBER 9th - 13th -

2012).. I want you to email me back with the availability date and the total cost for the rent.

Waiting to read back from you.

Holly Bowen

I wonder what Holly's wife's name is.

This qualifies for a "Peggy" alert.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Here's a new one I got today in response to a Craig's List ad for a TS for sale in NC. It made me laugh.

How are you doing today?

My names is Holly Bowen from CANADA,i have being in US for over 13years before i relocated to UNITED CANADA ..

But i will like to visit US for my honeymoon... I and My Wife we got married resently and we like to visit US for our

honeymoon. we dont smoke and we dont drink neither do we have pets...

Kindly check if we can use 5 nights at your place from (SECTEMBER 18th - 22nd - 2012) OR (OCTOBER 9th - 13th -

2012).. I want you to email me back with the availability date and the total cost for the rent.

Waiting to read back from you.

Holly Bowen

I wonder what Holly's wife's name is.

This qualifies for a "Peggy" alert.

While you and I might find this humorous the really sad part is that there are probably people who fell for such a reply from "Holly."

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While you and I might find this humorous the really sad part is that there are probably people who fell for such a reply from "Holly."

Today I got the same email in response to an ad for a TS I have for sale in Lehigh Acres in the Ft Myers Craig's List.

It is so outrageous that I doubt anyone would think it was real, at least I hope not.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score

Why don't you tell this guy that postponing a honeymoon till September is unfair to his wife. Tell him you have FREE week available in August. Take it or leave it ! :whoopie:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hmmmm

Why don't you tell this guy that postponing a honeymoon till September is unfair to his wife. Tell him you have FREE week available in August. Take it or leave it ! :whoopie:

Wouldn't it be slick if I could transfer my week in Lehigh to him and all the time he thinks he's robbing me of my TS. I could say I want $5,000 and will only accept a registered check from a non-U. S. bank. Make up some story about avoiding income taxes or something like that.

Of course there's no way I'm revealing my email address, phone number, real name, and address to Holly.

I just realized that one part of this that I failed to consider is a same sex marriage between Holly and her wife.