• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge I-695 GONE

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Good point - that may belay using a tunnel on this route. I'm no expert either to be clear. Perhaps there's a safer way to build bridges these days using more modern technologies since the original bridge was built in 1977 IIRC. Ways to somehow protect the bridge piles from collisions for example.
According to Epic Engineering Disasters on Wondrium the Tampa Sunshine Bridge IIRC was basically the same thing, cargo ship hit support, bridge collapsed. This was 1980. They put big obstructions in front of the supports when they rebuilt I think, like huge versions of the concrete / steel things blocking cars from ramming store fronts. I'm kind of surprised between 1980 and this week there apparently wasn't any interest in adding these protections on to say this bridge.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not comparable, but a demonstration of how fast things can get done

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The power line poles next to the bridge have way more protection than the bridge supports.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Clearing the channel is a higher priority than building the bridge. And has to be done first anyway.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Army Corps of Engineers to deploy 1,100 personnel to Baltimore

Richard

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

DRIless

Reaction score
Once the debris is removed, perhaps cars/trucks can be ferried across.
I doubt it. Ferries are not volume conduits and require substantial infrastructure established at both ends in addition to the actual Ferry.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel the key is to open the port waters lanes for shipping cargo in and out of the Port of Balitmore. IMHO

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt it. Ferries are not volume conduits and require substantial infrastructure established at both ends in addition to the actual Ferry.
I also agree with your assessment Ferries boats cannot handle the daily volume of traffic in Balitmore to the surrounding areas.
Ferry boats will need two (2) docks one in Balitmore and one in Washington, DC.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I heard someone suggest using a floating bridge.
But that would still block shipping from the harbor.
However...
Looking at a map, it would seem that other ports,
such as Norfolk or NYC, would be good alternative.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a huge hang up about driving over a bridge. I can ride but I can’t drive with my eyes closed. If they offered a service to drive the car over a bridge I would use it. This makes it worse.
I totally have big-time fear driving over bridges, and I live in the city of bridges, Pittsburgh! Sweaty palms, near panic if traffic stops on the bridge in front of me! This accident is my worst nightmare. It's absolutely the worst for those who lost their lives and their families. I've been praying for them.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I heard someone suggest using a floating bridge.
But that would still block shipping from the harbor.
However...
Looking at a map, it would seem that other ports,
such as Norfolk or NYC, would be good alternative.
That's already in progress - ships are already being rerouted - however there are logistics issues in play - such as the fact that these two ports cannot absorb the current volume of shipping and receiving activities from the Port of Baltimore - nor are they equipped to do so given ports tend to specialize in certain goods and services and have durable equipment designed specifically to handle certain goods and services. The Port of Baltimore for example, has become one of the primary ports on the eastern seaboard for both food and vehicles. Specific to vehicles - this port handles shipping for both the import of foreign made vehicles and export of American made vehicles - both consumer and commercial - over the past several decades. It remains to be seen what the long term impacts will be on certain supply chains if the port remains inaccessible.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
BALTIMORE -
The Tugboat Crystal Coast, pushing a fuel barge, was the first vessel to move through the newly created temporary alternate channel in Baltimore following the collapse of the Key Bridge, according to the U.S. Coast Guard. It's headed to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware with jet fuel.

The emergency passageway - 264 feet wide and 11 feet deep - was cleared on Monday April 1, 2024 to allow essential vessels to pass along the Patapsco River around the mangled wreckage at the bridge disaster site.

MARINE SAFETY INFORMATION BULLETIN 036-24

Effective immediately a safety zone is established for all navigable waters of the Chesapeake Bay within a 2000-yard radius of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. The 948-foot Singapore-flagged vessel DALI en route to Sri Lanka struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge on March 26, 2024.

Started a thread in Tug Lounge for those that maybe interested
regarding the Francis Scott Key Bridge and Port of Baltimore .

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just praying that the shipping lanes will be re-open within the next two (2) to three (3) weeks.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score

FBI opens criminal investigation into Baltimore bridge collapse, AP source says​

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I drove over that bridge twice last summer. Gave me shivers cause it looked frail from the road.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I drove over that bridge twice last summer. Gave me shivers cause it looked frail from the road.
It was working fine for decades until a loaded huge barge ran into it . Guess there are no requirement to have harbor pilots accompany these barges.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It was working fine for decades until a loaded huge barge ran into it . Guess there are no requirement to have harbor pilots accompany these barges.
There was a pilot on board. They needed a tugboat.

Reactions: Tia