• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DaveNV: Making a Home in the Desert

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Mandatory presentation?

Actually, I have a generous opt-out-for-cash policy. The larger the donation, the shorter the presentation. ;) Just don't go to the Concierge for your parking pass. :D

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Ah, yes. I have it right here. You'll be getting the "Sleeping Bags on the Living Room floor" suite. :D

Dave
I thought I was #1 on the list. Do I get the "bed in the bathtub" suite? :whooopie:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I thought I was #1 on the list. Do I get the "bed in the bathtub" suite? :whooopie:

You get the the guest room - at night. I'm not sure who will be sleeping there in the daytime. I can't read my handwriting. You'll have to take turns. :D

Dave

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at the time stamp on my request: 2:59 pm, 9.12.21. Pre-construction, even. I mean, aren't I the one taking a risk here? ;)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
There's a Holiday Inn Express down the street. I have them on Speed Dial. :D

Dave

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
:ROFLMAO:Too funny, I also thought pool party and everyone is welcome!!!

Thank you for the update. A homeowner is never finished with projects. Take your time. Having the pool done will be awesome though.

We have the same story here. Can't get contractors and when you do, there is a long wait for them. Supplies - similar problem and everything as you know has gone up and up.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
our backyard swimming pool construction finally starts TOMORROW!!
This is great news! I am very happy for you. I wasn't particularly a pool person until we installed one. Now, I can't imagine living without one. I found that I love using the pool, I just hate public pools.
I, for one, CANNOT WAIT for the post-COVID pool party at your house.
Yep and there's going to be a waffle bar, too.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This is great news! I am very happy for you. I wasn't particularly a pool person until we installed one. Now, I can't imagine living without one. I found that I love using the pool, I just hate public pools.

There is a huge pool as part of this Sun City development. But every time I've tried using it, there are lots of people in it - really friendly, (make that "nosy") people. I may just want to soak or splash around for a bit, and I don't necessarily want to talk to anyone. Certainly not the nosy ones who want to know my life story, or worse - tell me theirs. LOL! :D So building our own pool was a logical option. We knew before we bought this house that it needed a pool. And now, apparently, we'll have one. Yay! :D

Yep and there's going to be a waffle bar, too.

Ok, that's funny right there. I know a guy... :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I haven't forgotten you folks, or this thread. Here's a little update:

Since the end of August we've been in "pool construction mode." The company doing the work is extremely busy, but they're very good at their work, so this is one of those "be patient" things. I'm trying not to climb the walls with nervous anxiety, and I'm trying to keep my eyes on the prize. We'll see how it goes. :D Here are some "In process" images.

The backyard before any damage was done: (Dog in photo is Kona, my younger kid.)

1.png

After they cleared everything to get ready to dig: (The dog was safely back indoors at this point. :D)

2.png

They start to dig the hole:

3.png

Hole shaping coming along:

3a.png

Hole is completed, and rebar framing in place:

4.png

Shotcrete cement going in, to form the shape of the pool:

4a.png

The finished cement form, now just needs to cure:

4b.png

Smoothing the top edge of the pool, getting ready to add waterline tile and coping:

5.png

Waterline tile going in, and the white travertine coping being set in place:

6.png

Close up of the waterline tile and coping. This is glass tile, with ridges running in different directions, to reflect the sunlight in various ways. Even though it looks like a variety of different tiles, they're mostly all the same. It's pretty neat that the tiles change color as the sunlight moves. We really like it. The waterline will be between the two upper horizontal rows, with the lower three rows below the surface.

6a.jpg

That's it for now. Hopefully, we'll have the finished project pictures in the next month or so. There is hardscape yet to be installed around the perimeter of the pool and adjacent to the house, and a full length Alumawood awning along the entire back of the house, to provide shade next to the pool. Then privacy landscaping around the entire yard, some of our cactus being replanted, and maybe a new palm or two. We'll see.

We're getting there, one step at a time. This is exhausting work. The best part is the pool and tile design, as I drew it, is coming together. The pool builders are doing a good job with things. I just wish it wasn't taking so long. :D

Dave

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I haven't forgotten you folks, or this thread. Here's a little update:

Since the end of August we've been in "pool construction mode." The company doing the work is extremely busy, but they're very good at their work, so this is one of those "be patient" things. I'm trying not to climb the walls with nervous anxiety, and I'm trying to keep my eyes on the prize. We'll see how it goes. :D Here are some "In process" images.

The backyard before any damage was done: (Dog in photo is Kona, my younger kid.)

View attachment 42886

After they cleared everything to get ready to dig: (The dog was safely back indoors at this point. :D)

View attachment 42887

They start to dig the hole:

View attachment 42888

Hole shaping coming along:

View attachment 42890

Hole is completed, and rebar framing in place:

View attachment 42889

Shotcrete cement going in, to form the shape of the pool:

View attachment 42891

The finished cement form, now just needs to cure:

View attachment 42892

Smoothing the top edge of the pool, getting ready to add waterline tile and coping:

View attachment 42893

Waterline tile going in, and the white travertine coping being set in place:

View attachment 42894

Close up of the waterline tile and coping. This is glass tile, with ridges running in different directions, to reflect the sunlight in various ways. Even though it looks like a variety of different tiles, they're mostly all the same. It's pretty neat that the tiles change color as the sunlight moves. We really like it. The waterline will be between the two upper horizontal rows, with the lower three rows below the surface.

View attachment 42895

That's it for now. Hopefully, we'll have the finished project pictures in the next month or so. There is hardscape yet to be installed around the perimeter of the pool and adjacent to the house, and a full length Alumawood awning along the entire back of the house, to provide shade next to the pool. Then privacy landscaping around the entire yard, some of our cactus being replanted, and maybe a new palm or two. We'll see.

We're getting there, one step at a time. This is exhausting work. The best part is the pool and tile design, as I drew it, is coming together. The pool builders are doing a good job with things. I just wish it wasn't taking so long. :D

Dave

It's going to be very nice! I like the tiles, the overall size and seating area. What will you use on the rest of the surface? Not sure I am seeing the distinction from the round steps to the bottom of the pool due to change of direction in the troweling Two steps? Hope they get it finished for you soon!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave your backyard was so beautiful and your dog love it.
Your backyard looks liked a putting green @ Kings Mills golf course. LOL.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It's going to be very nice! I like the tiles, the overall size and seating area. What will you use on the rest of the surface? Not sure I am seeing the distinction from the round steps to the bottom of the pool due to change of direction in the troweling Two steps? Hope they get it finished for you soon!

Thanks, Glynda. The interior pool surface will be plastered in a "mini-pebble" finish, in a variable light blue color. The hardscape around the pool adjacent to the travertine will be a light sand color "cool deck" finish, that coordinates with the pool finishes, and matches the house colors. The "cool deck" (I think that's the words for it) is temperature sensitive, and makes it cooler on bare feet. As you can imagine, cement here gets mighty hot. This finish makes it easier to walk around barefooted. That will be the perimeter around the outer parts of the pool, and along the back of the house.

This picture shows some of the finishes. The travertine we chose is lighter than this sample. The speckled piece on the right is the mini pebble finish we'll have. The light sand-colored square bit at the top is the cool deck color.

finishes.png

As for the steps, this picture shows them from the other side. There are four steps, and a piece of a fifth, due to the sloping bottom on the pool. There will be a handrail, to make using the steps easier. The seating runs in a zig-zag along the side and one end of the pool. That is the side and end that face the sun most of the day. We'll have umbrella mounts embedded in the perimeter decking, so we can put in shade umbrellas where we need them.

Steps.png

Hope this makes it more clear.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave your backyard was so beautiful and your dog love it.
Your backyard looks liked a putting green @ Kings Mills golf course. LOL.

Not after they tore everything out. See the second picture. :oops: There will be a new section of "dog yard" fake grass at the far end of the pool for the dogs to play and poop on. :D

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
"I haven't forgotten you folks, or this thread. Here's a little update:"

Dave, this is anything but a LITTLE update. It looks great and it looks to finish up exactly the way you imagined it.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Thanks, Glynda. The interior pool surface will be plastered in a "mini-pebble" finish, in a variable light blue color. The hardscape around the pool adjacent to the travertine will be a light sand color "cool deck" finish, that coordinates with the pool finishes, and matches the house colors. The "cool deck" (I think that's the words for it) is temperature sensitive, and makes it cooler on bare feet. As you can imagine, cement here gets mighty hot. This finish makes it easier to walk around barefooted. That will be the perimeter around the outer parts of the pool, and along the back of the house.

This picture shows some of the finishes. The travertine we chose is lighter than this sample. The speckled piece on the right is the mini pebble finish we'll have. The light sand-colored square bit at the top is the cool deck color.

View attachment 42897

As for the steps, this picture shows them from the other side. There are four steps, and a piece of a fifth, due to the sloping bottom on the pool. There will be a handrail, to make using the steps easier. The seating runs in a zig-zag along the side and one end of the pool. That is the side and end that face the sun most of the day. We'll have umbrella mounts embedded in the perimeter decking, so we can put in shade umbrellas where we need them.

View attachment 42898

Hope this makes it more clear.

Dave

Yes, thanks! I like the tiles even better closer up! I hadn't heard of "cool deck" but it's bound to be cooler than our blue stone. Love the idea of sitting under umbrellas! I'm glad that there will be a handrail for the steps!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Love what you've done with the place! :D

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Looks wonderful. I would be antsy too. ;) Maybe I missed it earlier, but did you go with a saltwater pool?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Looks wonderful. I would be antsy too. ;) Maybe I missed it earlier, but did you go with a saltwater pool?

Thanks, Gina. I didn't mention it before. But yes, we're doing saltwater. I'm told it's better on the skin, and is easier to maintain. We'll see. This is all new to us. :D

Dave

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Thanks, Gina. I didn't mention it before. But yes, we're doing saltwater. I'm told it's better on the skin, and is easier to maintain. We'll see. This is all new to us. :D

Dave
Yes I've heard the same about how it feels on the skin. I think keeping the PH in balance is easier with saltwater too. I've only swam in one pool that was saltwater and was practicing SCUBA so little skin exposure. I've read that it can be hard on the pump which is why hot tubs didn't have a salt water system for a long time. Supposedly a hot tub can be retro fitted with a salt water system. I want to check it out if we can upgrade ours.