• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DaveNV: Making a Home in the Desert

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes I've heard the same about how it feels on the skin. I think keeping the PH in balance is easier with saltwater too. I've only swam in one pool that was saltwater and was practicing SCUBA so little skin exposure. I've read that it can be hard on the pump which is why hot tubs didn't have a salt water system for a long time. Supposedly a hot tub can be retro fitted with a salt water system. I want to check it out if we can upgrade ours.

I've also heard it can be hard on equipment and fixtures. We're installing "saltwater versions" of the equipment, and marine-grade versions of fixtures, to hopefully make it all work better. We're also adding a heat pump for water temperature control - the advantage is not only being able to heat the pool in cooler weather, but also to reverse things and cool it down when our desert weather gets to be scorching in Summer. We'll see how it all shakes out over time. As I mentioned, this is all completely new to us. :D

We had a series of hot tubs at our home in Washington for many years, so chemical maintenance isn't new to us. This will just be a new way of maintaining things. We're actually looking forward to it.

And since I know I'm the one who'll be using the dip net to clean things, doing chemical maintenance, and moving the pool furniture around, I'm considering buying myself a Cabana Boy t-shirt. :D

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 8.02.12 AM.png

Dave

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I've also heard it can be hard on equipment and fixtures. We're installing "saltwater versions" of the equipment, and marine-grade versions of fixtures, to hopefully make it all work better. We're also adding a heat pump for water temperature control - the advantage is not only being able to heat the pool in cooler weather, but also to reverse things and cool it down when our desert weather gets to be scorching in Summer. We'll see how it all shakes out over time. As I mentioned, this is all completely new to us. :D

We had a series of hot tubs at our home in Washington for many years, so chemical maintenance isn't new to us. This will just be a new way to maintaining things. We're actually looking forward to it.

And since I know I'm the one who'll be using the dip net to clean things, doing chemical maintenance, and moving the pool furniture around, I'm considering buying myself a Cabana Boy t-shirt. :D

View attachment 42955

Dave
ABSOLUTELY!!:love::love::love:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ok, so I ordered the Cabana Boy shirt. I know my place in this household... LOL! :D

Dave

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Your pool design looks great.

One of the things that I like about our own pool is we have an automatic pool filler. If you don't have one planned, I suggest that before they plaster your pool, you may want to talk to your pool folks about adding it. All it is, is a catch basin with basically a toilet float and a water line to the house. When my pool level drops and needs water, the toilet float just adds it. What is really nice is that if we travel for several weeks, we don't have to arrange to have someone drag out a hose and add water.

Even if you don't add the automatic filler, make sure to have an underground water line run to the pool. It is so much nicer turning a handle at the house and have water shoot into the pool - - hoses can be ugly and a PITA to coil and uncoil.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking good Dave! It will be SO nice once finished and you will enjoy it for sure come summertime. Aren't these unseasonably warm temps we are having right now just the icing on the cake after you are watching the destruction from all the rain back in your former home?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Your pool design looks great.

One of the things that I like about our own pool is we have an automatic pool filler. If you don't have one planned, I suggest that before they plaster your pool, you may want to talk to your pool folks about adding it. All it is, is a catch basin with basically a toilet float and a water line to the house. When my pool level drops and needs water, the toilet float just adds it. What is really nice is that if we travel for several weeks, we don't have to arrange to have someone drag out a hose and add water.

Even if you don't add the automatic filler, make sure to have an underground water line run to the pool. It is so much nicer turning a handle at the house and have water shoot into the pool - - hoses can be ugly and a PITA to coil and uncoil.

I think we're getting an automatic filler. I'll have to check the build sheet. If not, i'll ask for one. That'll be handy, given our evaporation rates here.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Looking good Dave! It will be SO nice once finished and you will enjoy it for sure come summertime. Aren't these unseasonably warm temps we are having right now just the icing on the cake after you are watching the destruction from all the rain back in your former home?

The flooding and nonstop rain back in Washington is insane! The house we had was on a hill, so no risk of flooding, but the roads around the neighborhood did flood sometimes. Sorry for all those people there. But to be honest, I don't miss the cold and rain and wet one tiny bit. I miss the people, and that's about it. :D

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The flooding and nonstop rain back in Washington is insane! The house we had was on a hill, so no risk of flooding, but the roads around the neighborhood did flood sometimes. Sorry for all those people there. But to be honest, I don't miss the cold and rain and wet one tiny bit. I miss the people, and that's about it. :D

Dave
This is why my god son left,his University of Washington job. He disliked the cold rainy weather in Seattle; plus the cost of living.
He is now at the University of San Diego working and he loved the weather. The costs of apartment living is still very expensive.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
People are so different, and that’s what makes this world a wonderful place.

I just returned from a week in the desert and I loved it.

But when I walked out of the airport in Portland, Oregon and felt the cool, moist air, I knew I was home and it felt good. I guess I’m just a native Pacific Northwest girl through and through.

62 degrees and sunny here in SW Washington yesterday. And green!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

But when I walked out of the airport in Portland, Oregon and felt the cool, moist air, I knew I was home and it felt good. I guess I’m just a native Pacific Northwest girl through and through.

Our older daughter attended college in Olympia, WA. She loved it. She was hoping to move back to that area. She is currently living in Silicon Valley.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

It's variable, for sure. I didn't hate living in the PNW, but I got tired to the point of exhaustion about ALL the rain, and clouds, and gray skies. I like seeing the sun. The year prior to my retirement we went FIVE MONTHS without seeing the sun - not even once. When I retired, and knew I'd have my days free, I was not looking forward to the weeks and months on end of miserable weather. Most of all, I didn't want the weather to make me a prisoner in my own house. Here, even though it gets blistering hot in Summer, I can still go outdoors in morning and evening on those days, and enjoy being outside. The other seasons, when it's not so warm outside, I can do anything I want, at anytime of day, and on any day of the week. Living here, I can expect it'll be a sunny day, each time I step outside. The town we lived in up north averages 38 inches of rain a year. Mesquite averages 7. There is something good to be said for that, at least for me. :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
One of the things that I like about our own pool is we have an automatic pool filler.

I confirmed we are getting an automatic pool filler. I'd think here in the desert, with evaporation being such a constant thing, that it'd be a necessity. But I think we're good on that.

Dave

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I confirmed we are getting an automatic pool filler. I'd think here in the desert, with evaporation being such a constant thing, that it'd be a necessity. But I think we're good on that.

Dave

Lots of desert folks like to install pool covers to help abate the evaporation.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Unless we go with a manual cover, we'll at least be starting without one. An automatic cover adds more than $10K to the pool cost. Prices have really gone up. We'll figure things out as we go along.

Dave

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
That's good. You may want to consider adding a solar pool cover (and reel) for the shoulder seasons to extend your pool time. In my experience, they add perhaps 10 degrees F to the pool water.

Another thing to research is HeatSaver liquid pool cover. It supposedly puts a one-molecule thick layer on top of the pool to drastically reduce evaporation and, as a result, tends to keep the heat in the water. According to Glenn K., Marriott Desert Springs I and II use it and say that it made a huge difference in their propane heater use (they may have switched over to heat pumps later).

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That's good. You may want to consider adding a solar pool cover (and reel) for the shoulder seasons to extend your pool time. In my experience, they add perhaps 10 degrees F to the pool water.

I'm looking into different cover options. A solar cover is a good idea, for sure. I think this first year, we'll "learn by owning." Just like with waiting to see what the sun did our first year before changing the landscaping and adding shade covers, we'll probably wait till we've had the pool awhile, and then add the right gadget to make things better.

Another thing to research is HeatSaver liquid pool cover. It supposedly puts a one-molecule thick layer on top of the pool to drastically reduce evaporation and, as a result, tends to keep the heat in the water. According to Glenn K., Marriott Desert Springs I and II use it and say that it made a huge difference in their propane heater use (they may have switched over to heat pumps later).

I hadn't heard of that product. We opted for a heat pump instead of propane, because the cost is so high here. With our solar on the roof, we're aiming for the cost of operating the pool to be covered by the solar. We'll see how it goes, and adjust as needed.

Fun times! :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I took this picture along about sunset this evening. It's exactly what I'm picturing for the future, sitting in the pool under the stars. Can't wait!

Sunset.png

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I took this picture along about sunset this evening. It's exactly what I'm picturing for the future, sitting in the pool under the stars. Can't wait!

View attachment 43033

Dave

Now that looks awesome. Great place to relax!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Now that looks awesome. Great place to relax!

Thanks! That's one reason we waited a year after moving in before deciding to go ahead and put in the pool. It's really nice outside at night here.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I love Mesquite. Used to own two Weeks at the Casablanca...

George

It's still here, and is as busy as ever. We had Thanksgiving dinner at one of the Casablanca upscale restaurants. Really good meal.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We had to interrupt our regularly-scheduled construction project to hang a bit of Holiday Cheer around the place. We're not putting up a tree in the house, (Have you met our cat, "Slasher"? ;)) But we did decide to hang a wreath on the front gate. It was fun bringing down forty-eleven boxes of Christmas decorations from the garage storage shelving, rifling through them all, finally locating the few items we were after in one of the last boxes. A replacement set of fresh batteries, a colorful bow, a bit of Zhuzhing, and the lighted wreath was ready to hang. The fresh Noble Fir wreath itself is courtesy of (where else?) Costco. Merry Christmas, everyone!

wreath.jpg

:D Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And when the sun starts to go down, the wreath lights are more visible.

wreath2.png

:D Dave