• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexico, 2024

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradisus Palma Real and Club Solaris Los Cabos
How does everyone feel about visiting Mexico these days? We just got back from our timeshare week on 2/10 after having a wonderful time. No safety concerns at all.

The news around us is that Mexico is a bad dangerous place. Kidnapping, torture, extortion, rape around every corner.

It’s gotten to the point where family and friends think we’re idiots for traveling there. I’m even embarrassed to disclose where we spent our vacation (despite our resort being five star).

It’s become a third class destination in the eyes of others. We would love to take family members with us so they could experience the delicious food and customer service we receive but they won’t hear of it.

It’s a bummer and it’s kind of ruining it for us. We had hoped to go for several more years. Is anyone else being “judged” like we are for our vacation choice?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
IMHO some of the news re: the hazards of Mexico are not motivated by facts. We also know a lot of people that won’t travel there. That fact has absolutely no effect on our enjoyment of trips there and doesn’t seem to be effecting the volume of travel there based on the lines at immigration.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
My wife and I enjoy traveling to Mexico for our anniversary in November. Sometimes we'll go in the summer with family. Luckily, everyone that has traveled with us, really enjoys Mexico. We do have some friends that are hesitant for the same reasons you mentioned. However, we don't let others fear ruin our joy for Mexico. Anyway, as Yogi Berra would say, no one wants to travel to Mexico because it's too crowded.

According to the UNWTO World Tourism Barometer in 2023, Mexico is the second most visited country in the world after France. Mexico received 31.9 million annual visitors, surpassed only by France with 48.4 million visitors.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Perhaps you could respond: You could also say the same about the USA if we thought bad neighborhoods in major cities applied to the entire USA.

We annually visit Cabo which we consider safe and so much nicer than Hawaii in terms of service and amenities. I would like to visit Cancun in the hoteleria area (Lagunamar) and visit the Mayan ruins. I believe it is safe but am admittedly more nervous because we haven't been there. We don't drive in Mx and I would likely use a guide to drive us to the Mayan ruins.

I have heard good things about Puerto Vallarta and may try that someday. I would avoid other parts of Mexico. The unknown creates fear.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I'm not going down there - look at the travel advisories which detail the most extreme hot spots.

I doubt that travel insurance can even attempt to cover this exposure?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not going down there - look at the travel advisories which detail the most extreme hot spots.

I doubt that travel insurance can even attempt to cover this exposure?
One of my first visits to Mexico was Acapulco. That's the only Mexican destination that scared me away.
I've been to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun and Mazatlan many times in the past 10 years -- as a senior widow traveling solo.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I have heard good things about Puerto Vallarta and may try that someday. I would avoid other parts of Mexico. The unknown creates fear.
We were in PV for a week at the end of January and it felt completely fine. Very nice place. We stayed at the Sheraton Buganvilas which was lovely.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I think it's very safe to stay on resort grounds, the Vidanta resorts for example provide a complete resort experience.

I wouldn't go wandering off the beaten track without a guide or knowing what you are getting in to.

We have visited several times on cruises, east and west coast, and taken guided tours. One of the most memorable was Costa Maya visiting Mayan ruins and having lunch with a local Mayan family. Safety was never a concern.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
look at the travel advisories which detail the most extreme hot spots
I completely agree with this sentiment - for Mexico the travel advisory is broken down by states and provides different levels of warning for the different ones. Quintana Roo, Baja California Sur, and Jalisco are in the level 2 - exercise increased caution due to crime travel advisory level and have been for a while. IIRC, some other Nations have a similar warning for travel to the United States. It's really not a problem if you actually exercise increased caution when you go to places that are more crime prone anyway.

We go down there frequently and have never had an issue obtaining appropriate travel insurance coverage.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
haven't gone to mexico for years because of the crime. we're not too interested in being locked into a resort. we enjoy exploring real areas on foot. what does it mean to exercise caution anyway? we're not taking about pick pocketing. we're taking about organized crime kidnapping and holding people for ransom. we look like Americans. no thanks. plenty of other beautiful places to go. and it's sad because we're did enjoy Mexico and the people a lot.

rpennisi

Reaction score
33 separate trips to Mexico since 2002 and never had a problem (Cancun, Tulum, Chitin Itza, Coba, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Sayulita, Mazetlan, Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo). Never got approached by anybody shadier other than a timeshare hawker. True there are many other beautiful places to visit, but there's no reason to exclude beautiful places in Mexico. Visit numbers 34 and 35 coming in 2025.:wave:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Go to PV at least twice a year. NEVER go to south side of Chicago, NYC, Portland and several lest than safe locations in the USA. YMMV.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, we’re not worried about vacationing in Mexico. We use caution and good sense, and truly feel as safe in Mexico as we do traveling around the US. I’m looking forward to two family trips, totaling five more weeks in Mexico this year!

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mexico's crime is largely drug cartel against drug cartel. Unfortunately it occasionally spills over on to the streets and has happened in the tourist areas. It is also a bit worrisome to rent a car down there as there are scams that tourists get caught up in. I still love Mexico and feel safe travelling to many different parts of it. Last year was Puerto Vallarta to Bucerias and this year is San Jose del Cabo to Cabo San Lucas. In the PV area I don't rent a car as local buses or cabs work well. I do have a car rental for most of our stay down in the Cabo area as our resort is not in town. We will not venture far off of the tourist corridor so I'm sure it will be fine. I have never felt unsafe in Mexico but rather than a walk through an uninhabited area at night we take a cab. In PV we walk anywhere in the tourist areas. I almost always leave the resort at night to explore the town and eat at the local establishments. If I can't do that I refuse to travel to the area. There are areas to avoid at night in most large cities. The only real difference is if we live there we know where to avoid.

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
How does everyone feel about visiting Mexico these days? We just got back from our timeshare week on 2/10 after having a wonderful time. No safety concerns at all.

The news around us is that Mexico is a bad dangerous place. Kidnapping, torture, extortion, rape around every corner.

It’s gotten to the point where family and friends think we’re idiots for traveling there. I’m even embarrassed to disclose where we spent our vacation (despite our resort being five star).

It’s become a third class destination in the eyes of others. We would love to take family members with us so they could experience the delicious food and customer service we receive but they won’t hear of it.

It’s a bummer and it’s kind of ruining it for us. We had hoped to go for several more years. Is anyone else being “judged” like we are for our vacation choice?
We have been going to Puerto Vallarta for 14 yrs the only that has happened to us is I lost my phone in the taxis and then 3 years later my wife left her phone in the taxis and someone called my phone and returned it and would take a finders fee. And the pv groups are good but you have to weed through idiots. I leave all my important stuff in the safe and bring pesos for the day and one credit card. Enjoy and take lots of pictures and tip all your bartenders . Bell men the beach personal. We left a speaker on the beach and it was returned.

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We’ve been to Cancun several times, PV, and Playa del Carmen. Always felt safe, but there is one thing we will never do - drive in Mexico.

This last trip in February, our van driver reiterated that the police are corrupt and tourists should avoid renting cars, as the rentals are targeted. The police will accuse tourists of drunk driving even if a driver hasn’t had a drop of alcohol. They demand money to buy yourself out of it. If you don’t have enough cash, you’re hauled off to jail.

This is the same for the locals. Many times, however, they are actually DWI. If enough money is forked over, they will follow the drunk as he drives home! The van driver told us “This is how the police get rich.”

Now, that’s kind of scary!

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
there is one thing we will never do - drive in Mexico.
Same here. That being said, we are excited to be returning to Cabo San Lucas for our fourth visit later this year. Years ago we traveled to Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Mazatlan, and Ixtapa. Cabo just turned out to be our favorite.

We take the usual big city precautions, no matter where we travel. We don't wander several blocks away from the tourist areas. Many tens of thousands of people travel to Mexico every year and come back home without incident.

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Same here. That being said, we are excited to be returning to Cabo San Lucas for our fourth visit later this year. Years ago we traveled to Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Mazatlan, and Ixtapa. Cabo just turned out to be our favorite.

We take the usual big city precautions, no matter where we travel. We don't wander several blocks away from the tourist areas. Many tens of thousands of people travel to Mexico every year and come back home without incident.
That’s correct. Not long ago, Mexico held the reputation of featuring the best AI resorts in the world. Unparalleled with food and customer service.

We are going to Cabo next year. That destination has less stigma and we can actually tell others where we’re going without wincing. Haha!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The only time we ever felt like we needed to watch our back was when a bald Canadian told us we were sitting at his groups table at the Cafe Roma. He was very aggressive so I took my glasses off because he looked like the type that would make a move. His friends began acting aggressively towards us too. Then another group of Canadians we know showed up right before the music started. On the stage was a rock band that we like.

The bald Canadian made his move during the first song. I took my glasses off again because I knew it was going to be a thing. Time to make a move or leave. Since he had a beer bottle I felt I need to take mine. We circled then moved about and clinked the beer bottles. Suddenly the entire place erupted. His group, then my group, both charged the area in front of the band as they played Wild Thing.

By the end of the song this aggressive bald Canadian had bought me a beer and oddly enough I had bought him one too. We had both bought another bucket of beers. Fun times.

Bill

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Every time we go to Mexico my dad (in his 80s) says "I'm proud to say that I have never been to Mexico and I am never going to Mexico!'
And I look at him and say, "promise?" :p

I don't bat an eye when someone questions me about it. Life is full of calculated risks and everyone has different levels of comfort. We stay pretty close to "home" in Mexico, hanging out at the resort. Others venture further away. Others stay in the US. Do whatever works for you. The only thing that bothers me is when people who have not traveled there try to lecture me. That is irritating, but it is really their insecurities talking.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We usually get a car when we travel to Mexico. I feel safe except when the tire blew out this year on the hwy near Cabo. First time for us. I changed it with traffic whizzing by and then had it replaced at Costco. Another first was my wife falling on a cactus which became another first as we went to the Mexican hospital for surgery.

I have never felt unsafe in Mexico except on our first trip 25+ years ago.

What I like about Mexico is the warmth, sunsets, opulent resorts, daily maid service, tacos, activities and the other people we meet. I have tried to explain this but I'm thinking a person has to feel it for themselves to know what it's about.

Bill

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Mexico is welcoming. The resorts are first rate and clean. They thoroughly cleaned and changed sheets at midweek. We could check in early.

Hawaii hates tourists. On Maui we barely could get beds made at midweek clean, and certain items were broken eg elevator. We waited until 9 pm to get into our room because they accidently gave it to someone else. I wonder how well they cleaned between this party and our arrival. Enough said.

Last edited:

amsunshine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Park Regency
We love traveling to Mexico every year and just got back from Riviera Maya. I have to say the most unpleasant experiences we have had down there have been encounters with obnoxious and/or drunk tourists - usually but not limited to, Americans.