• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexico, 2024

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Mexico is welcoming. The resorts are first rate and clean. ...... Hawaii hates tourists. On Maui
:D Oh boy, much truth there, but mostly if you replace the word "Hawaii" with "Maui". It gets back to preferences, and you chose the right words.
Mexico = "RESORTS". If you want a "resort" with a pool, Mexico has invested a gazillion $s to give you one. But,
What % of tourists who go on a "beach" vacation in Mexico spend even 1 hr/day ON the beach?
What % of tourists who go on a "beach" vacation in Mexico spend ever go IN the ocean above their waist?
Mexico is only semi-intresting to me, but we are going to Cabo this yr, for the 1st time. I loved Cozumel back in the day, but I heard they completely screwed it up with day-visitor from cruise ships.

To me, Hawaii = BEACHES. Being ON the beach. Being IN the ocean. Actually SWIMMING. OMG. And if you go to Waikiki, I'll bet you will see more people IN THE OCEAN almost any afternoon at a single point in time than you'd see maybe anywhere in Mexico over an entire 24 x 7. Big difference.

I could spend a pg describing the deltas between Maui & Oahu (Waikiki). I've been to HI > 30x. 70% of those were to Maui. I have friends on Maui. I once spent a week on Maui mostly walking around thinking about whether I would move there. Simplest way to describe the verdict: too many tourists & too much hate for the tourists and the vibe wouldn't be pleasant full-time. The west-side of Wailuku or Hana would get away from it, but ... nope.
Otoh, Waikiki IS tourists, for the good and the bad. The good is that there is none of that hate. Maybe if you go up into the hills, but not in Waikiki. I've never noticed it on the North Shore, but considering how badly tourists screw up their traffic, I wouldn't be surprised if it is there.
Also, there is a clear demographic difference in the tourists on the 2 isles.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Cancun
Was just in Cancun, it seemed safe, we went on a Excursion leaving the resort, picked up a few others at other resorts then heading out of town into the Jungle, everyone seemed nice and polite and helpful, but they liked to be tippped lol:) I watch a Youtuber by the name of William Taudien, late last year he spent 6mths in Mexico and documented most all of it, West and East coast, he says many times that he feels safer in Mexico than in his home country of Sweden, I'm Canadian living in Toronto, we had 3 or 4 shootings last week alone downtown and near by DT, and ppl are getting hit by cars, hit and runs, killed all the time here, so I would say Toronto Canada is much more dangerous than Cancun at the moment:)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
:D Oh boy, much truth there, but mostly if you replace the word "Hawaii" with "Maui". It gets back to preferences, and you chose the right words.
Mexico = "RESORTS". If you want a "resort" with a pool, Mexico has invested a gazillion $s to give you one. But,
What % of tourists who go on a "beach" vacation in Mexico spend even 1 hr/day ON the beach?
What % of tourists who go on a "beach" vacation in Mexico spend ever go IN the ocean above their waist?
Mexico is only semi-intresting to me, but we are going to Cabo this yr, for the 1st time. I loved Cozumel back in the day, but I heard they completely screwed it up with day-visitor from cruise ships.

To me, Hawaii = BEACHES. Being ON the beach. Being IN the ocean. Actually SWIMMING. OMG. And if you go to Waikiki, I'll bet you will see more people IN THE OCEAN almost any afternoon at a single point in time than you'd see maybe anywhere in Mexico over an entire 24 x 7. Big difference.

I could spend a pg describing the deltas between Maui & Oahu (Waikiki). I've been to HI > 30x. 70% of those were to Maui. I have friends on Maui. I once spent a week on Maui mostly walking around thinking about whether I would move there. Simplest way to describe the verdict: too many tourists & too much hate for the tourists and the vibe wouldn't be pleasant full-time. The west-side of Wailuku or Hana would get away from it, but ... nope.
Otoh, Waikiki IS tourists, for the good and the bad. The good is that there is none of that hate. Maybe if you go up into the hills, but not in Waikiki. I've never noticed it on the North Shore, but considering how badly tourists screw up their traffic, I wouldn't be surprised if it is there.
More than swimming on beaches. Wildlife. Much more than Hawaii which seems to have dwindled since we started visiting in 1980s. Okay so I see a single parrot fish once in a while. We went to north shore Kauai and nada. Very little. Saw a porpoise and it was chased away by snorkel boat. Night Manta rays on BI cool though.

Snorkeling or diving at Cabo Pulmo, UNESCO Heritage reef. Surrounded by big eyed jack fish - thousands of them swirling. Turtles, whales, seals and birds. Cannot compare.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Ocean activities in Mexico are better than in Hawaii. The scuba, snorkeling, fishing and beaches in Mexico are better than Hawaii. In Mexico you can ride dolphins and pet whales. Riding atv's, zip lines, night clubs, restaurants , music scene and pretty much any activity is better in Mexico. Until you get hurt anyway, lol. When I was younger these things had a great appeal.

Now, at over 60, I really like Oahu, especially Waikiki and Mokuleia. Everything that I want and like is there.

Bill

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Now, at over 60, I really like Oahu, especially Waikiki
:) My situation exactly. I used to do extreme cycling on Maui, incl up Haleakala. The day before we left Maui in early Feb2020, I thought "You know, I'm done with that." Then we went to Waikiki (when?) whenever lockdowns ended. I realized, "hmmm, if I'm not going to cycle, I can really enjoy this and not have to put up with the Maui attitude." And by attitude, I do not mean just Lahaina, which is tragic I know, but doesn't change the fact that there was a lot of attitude there, and will be again.
Nobody in Honolulu thinks, "If we could just get rid of the tourists, we could have our peaceful isle back and I could grow taro and eat poi every day"
Few in Honolulu think, "I have to work 2 jobs because it is so expensive here and the reason it is so expensive is those tourists."

It was our 4th or 5th time on Oahu, but the first time I wasn't thinking "I could be on Maui. Sigh"

Last edited:

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
We switched from annual Hawaii trips to Mexico trips about 10 years ago and never looked back. Did Hawaii one more time in 2019 to Marriott Ko' Olina, and while it was very enjoyable, we continue to choose Mexico, even though it's about the same overall cost.

There is something to be said for feeling like you are at least semi-welcomed by the locals while you are on vacation, instead of feeling like you are mostly an annoyance. And I did feel like that in Oahu, even more so than when we went to Maui, but it may have just been random occurences of course.

Last edited:

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go to Cabo San Lucas every year the week before Christmas. We stay on Medano beach, eat breakfast in our room, lunch at the resort or on the beach, and walk into town for dinner. We always feel safe. I think the most dangerous thing about our Cabo trips is the pedestrian infrastructure—very dangerous to be on your phone while walking because you are likely to hit uneven pavement and trip. “Heads up” as they say!

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
We go to Cabo San Lucas every year the week before Christmas. We stay on Medano beach, eat breakfast in our room, lunch at the resort or on the beach, and walk into town for dinner. We always feel safe.
Excellent. The exact trip we have planned for Nov2024. May it be so. Reminder to self: don't wear flip-flops into town. Those always catch uneven pavement.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Excellent. The exact trip we have planned for Nov2024. May it be so. Reminder to self: don't wear flip-flops into town. Those always catch uneven pavement.

A few years back we finally bought Keen closed toe sandals. I like them. Even so I still wear my reefer flip flops. Last Feb at the resort my wife was wearing her sandals and caught her sandals on an uneven surface that landed her on top of a cactus at the golf cart area of the check in area. This happened as she was getting off a golf cart. Sh*t happens. Thankfully, everything worked out.

Bill

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
We just returned from the Mexican border. Stayed in a town that is "Code Yellow" on the travel advisory map. That place just keeps getting nicer every year. The Mexican side of the border is much nicer than the US side (which is shabby and run down). The State Deparment has travel advisories for France. So I don't pay much attention to them. I've been to far more dangerous areas of the United States -- which should absolutely be on the travel advisory list for it's unsafe areas and violent crime.

As for Hawaii, I am treated so well that I moved there. This is the same Hawaii that people complain about -- they don't like tourists! Nope, never experienced that. I've always been treated like a visiting relative. There's really nothing to it. When I tell mainlanders I moved here, roughly one in five people protest that I'm going to be attacked because of my ethnicity. Nope, that isn't going to happen. It has led me to formulate a hypothesis about people who complain Hawaiians are unfriendly, though.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
ethnicity. Nope, that isn't going to happen. It has led me to formulate a hypothesis about people who complain Hawaiians are unfriendly
Here is what you're missing: Hawaiians aren't unfriendly. Not at all. Many of them just don't like tourists, and it has less to do with ethnicity than with the simple identity of come-and-go TOURIST. Should I put you in touch with my wife's 2 friends who were born on Maui but now live here in NorCal?

"When I tell mainlanders I moved here, roughly one in five people protest that I'm going to be attacked because of my ethnicity."
Yeah sure. Sure they do. Next!

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing about Mexico is you have to be aware of the specific conditions in the place you are traveling to. Mexico is a big country with hotspots of criminal activity. It helps to try and inform yourself by reading the news sites of the area. I have been to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel 3 times in the last two winters. I will say Playa is not without it's problems. Cozumel seemed safer, certainly less hectic. In general if you are doing safe things chances are you will be fine. If a place gives you a bad vibe, pay your bill and leave. Some places they will try to sell drugs to anyone. Much of this is forced by cartels upon the establishments. I do think the government tries to keep a lid on things in the tourist areas with the use of the marines but it's a difficult job. I still like to go but it sure is not like it was 20 years ago.

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
Consider crime in USA, and then consider crime in Mexico.....I would think, not much different. It all depends on "where" you are in each country!

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Consider crime in USA, and then consider crime in Mexico.....I would think, not much different. It all depends on "where" you are in each country!
Neither of us have been to Mexico in 10 yrs, but back then my wife traveled there on business about 4x/yr for 4 yrs. She always had an assigned driver, who she said was basically a bodyguard, and hwo always warned her not to do anything without him around. The only time they were not on "High Alert" was in a historic, well-to-do town called, iirc, Guanajuato. and yes, her company's employees had had "incidents" in the recent past.
That was 10 yrs ago, but no, crime in Mexico & the USA are NOT not much different. It does depends on "where" you are in each country, but the avgs and the severities are worse in Mexico. I am sure we lead in nut job school shootings, though.
Not trying to bash Mexico. We have a trip to Cabo later this year. Violence / safety is not top of my list of concerns. But the 95%+ of the country by square-miles that is not near a tourist area where the govt and the companies have invested billions of $s is a different story. It is like comparing Columbo to Miami Vice.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Neither of us have been to Mexico in 10 yrs, but back then my wife traveled there on business about 4x/yr for 4 yrs. She always had an assigned driver, who she said was basically a bodyguard, and hwo always warned her not to do anything without him around. The only time they were not on "High Alert" was in a historic, well-to-do town called, iirc, Guanajuato. and yes, her company's employees had had "incidents" in the recent past.
That was 10 yrs ago, but no, crime in Mexico & the USA are NOT not much different. It does depends on "where" you are in each country, but the avgs and the severities are worse in Mexico. I am sure we lead in nut job school shootings, though.
Not trying to bash Mexico. We have a trip to Cabo later this year. Violence / safety is not top of my list of concerns. But the 95%+ of the country by square-miles that is not near a tourist area where the govt and the companies have invested billions of $s is a different story. It is like comparing Columbo to Miami Vice.
I respectively disagree.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel absolutely blessed to be able to enjoy vacations with my family in Mexico or Hawaii or anywhere else. DH and I thoroughly enjoyed time with our grandchildren in Cabo this month. We would never go somewhere we thought would risk their safety.

IMG_3507.jpeg

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But the 95%+ of the country by square-miles that is not near a tourist area where the govt and the companies have invested billions of $s is a different story.

I disagree but understand why you feel this way. Probably 90% of the crime in Mexico is committed by regular criminals committing crimes of opportunity. Probably 10% of the crime is serious cartel crime. Both of these types of crimes usually happen at night. Almost all of these crimes are Mexican to Mexican. Tourists in Mexico haven't ever been a real target.

Bill

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I feel absolutely blessed to be able to enjoy vacations with my family in Mexico or Hawaii or anywhere else. DH and I thoroughly enjoyed time with our grandchildren in Cabo this month. We would never go somewhere we thought would risk their safety.

View attachment 90110

Here here PamMo! We are going back to Mexico Next year for President’s Week with our grown kids and 4 grandkids .
We’ve been to the Cancun area twice in the past 6 months and love it there.
To OP and others, we have gotten similar reactions from friends about traveling to Mexico. Just last week, while vacationing with friends in Turks & Caicos, his reaction about safety was “I wouldn’t go there…was there over 20 years ago and didn’t feel safe”! Really ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year, stayed inside the city of Cancun (not the resort strip) and drove around in a rental car. This year, just got back from Riviera Maya. Stayed at Vidanta and rented a car. Drove to Puerto Morelos (ate in a local restaurant )and playa del Carmen. Stopped at a small mom and pop restaurant about a quarter mile off the freeway before you get into playa proper. Travelled with two kiddos. Place looked and felt safe. Infact, the local restaurant and beach at Puerto Morelos was full of Americans and Canadians. They weren't hard to spot.
No were is 100 percent safe. In my Texas corner of the world, people get mugged, shot and killed every day. And we have had more than a few mass shootings in elementary, high school and grocery stores recently. It is a little hard to describe here as safe.
At least if I get stopped at the beach in Cancun, more likely the perp just wants the money. In Texas, sometimes it maybe money(or your car) but many times giving up your wallet will not be enough.
All about perspective and PS, I don't speak any Spanish

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We lived in Guadalajara from 1972-1975. Although I would love to go back and see how it's changed I'm not sure of the safety there. That being said we have gone to Mexico at least twice a year since 1985. We have gone to Acapulco, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Cancun. We like Cancun the best and have owned timeshares there since 1991. We were in Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morales in November and we leave for 2 weeks in Cancun in 10 days. We feel very safe in that area. We have always rented a car and have had no problem.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

One doesn't have to want to enter the water to enjoy a beach vacation. I love lying in the shade by the beach wile my wife and daughter frolic in the water, just chilling and taking in the sights, sounds, and salt air of the surf. In fairness, I snorkeled a lot when we were in Kona, and I snorkeled daily in Cozumel. There just isn't anything in the Vallarta beaches that makes it worth dragging our snorkel kits onto a flight.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
One doesn't have to want to enter the water to enjoy a beach vacation. I love lying in the shade by the beach wile my wife and daughter frolic in the water, just chilling and taking in the sights, sounds, and salt air of the surf. In fairness, I snorkeled a lot when we were in Kona, and I snorkeled daily in Cozumel. There just isn't anything in the Vallarta beaches that makes it worth dragging our snorkel kits onto a flight.

I would agree. Sometimes it's nice to just lay on a sandy beach (vs. going into the ocean/swimming).
For snorkeling "right on the beach", I'd also agree that PV/NV isn't going to really happen (have to take a boat out). But the reef off Puerto Morelos is quite nice.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
My first visit to México was in the early 1960's with my parents. We went to Tijuana. It was not appealing to my 6 or 7 year old self. Through the years I always scoffed at people going to México. In 2010 I went on a cruise with my late Aunt for her then 97th birthday. Cabo, Mazatlán, and Puerto Vallarta. It was nothing like Tijuana in the early 1960's! Bought a timeshare in Mazatlán for $1 on ebay and then later bought a small apartment. I live here pretty much full time now. I've been to many places - Acapulco is currently my favorite vacation spot with a beach. México City is the favorite for a city without beach. I travel a LOT by bus, and go places a lot of gringos don't go - and feel perfectly safe. Crime? Yes, but it's directed between the cartels and the cartels and police. Yes, some does 'spill over', but it's not the random crime that's rampant in the USA. Costs are going up. Do they ever go down - anywhere? The weather is so much better here than in Seattle where I am from. I traded sky high cost of living in a city whose downtown core looks like a war zone, and whose skies are perpetually grey; for a slightly smaller city full of history and sun. Other than good Asian food, I want for practically nothing.

México 2024. A little more expensive than México 2023, but the beer is just as cold.

DBS1968

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradise Village, 3 weeks
I have been going to PV/NV for over 20 years. Never had an issue with locals, and never looked for one. Hard to get into trouble unless you are looking for it. Only issues we have ever had is with travelers, not locals...lol In fact, last year we missed our cab in Bucerias, and my wife flagged down a "taxi" van, on route 200 no less, 12am, and we all got in. Turned out to be 2 missionaries driving home. I noticed this right away as there was no meter or taxi signs. The others in my group did not pick this up. After they got us to the front of Paradise Village, the others were saying "go to the guard station"...lol I told them, "this is not a taxi, just some good people". We gave them a huge tip, as they needed brakes, and went on our way. Never had an issue. My sister-in-law thinks it's a war zone. That's sad as I wish they would come with us, but people get views in their heads....