• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Port-O-Potties at WKORV-N

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
So here’s a law school hypothetical for you . . . . . .

Let’s say you paid a massive premium to buy an “ocean front” unit at WKORV-N at the developer price of $94,900 per week, and you didn’t wave your right to that “ocean front” unit by accidently making your reservation less than 8 months out or depositing it with an exchange company, etc., and the big day arrives for you to show up and enjoy all the benefits of that “ocean front” unit, and you open the curtains to view the ocean from your “ocean front” unit, and you find semi-permanent, and oh so lovely, port-o-potties resting between your “ocean front” unit and the actual ocean, . . . would you have a claim against SVO for breach of contract?

If not, would you still be upset with SVO for putting these “structures” (and their exhaust vents) only inches away from your “ocean front” patio that you paid a huge premium to enjoy, . . . . and wouldn’t that issue, in and of itself, prevent management from ever placing such monstrosities there?

PortopottiesatWKORVN.jpg

Apparently not.

-nodge

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That is INSANE. Thank goodness I have a parking lot view!

I'm heading there in a few days, and will look out for this myself.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
ewwwww.....

Nodge - where did you get that picture and what's the story??? :eek:

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nodge - where did you get that picture and what's the story??? :eek:

I took that picture with my very own camera last weekend. There was a big tent set up with local "artisans" selling local "art" (aka "hippie crafts") on the lawn between WKORV-N and the ocean. My guess is that someone thought they would need more potties than provided at the adjacent bar, so they shipped in the port-o-potties.

A permanent rope fence surrounds these port-o-potties, so my guess is that they are placed there pretty regularly as needed to accommodate the hippie craft shoppers' needs.

On the plus side, Clint Eastwood was filming a scene from his latest movie on the beach by WKORV-N during our stay, and he parked his SUV on the grass next to the grills by building 8. I was grilling away there one night and was wondering to myself what type of self-absorbed A.H. parks his SUV on the grass next to building 8 all day and how come security isn't doing something about it, and then good ol' Clint walked right past me, hopped in his SUV, and drove off.

Note to self: Always carry your camera with you, because you never know when Clint Eastwood will appear out of nowhere and drive off in his illegally parked SUV.

FWIW, word on the street among the other grillers is that Clint doesn't sign autographs. One fellow griller had even waited around the filming site for a break in the action, and he was shooed away by Clint himself. So we all agreed to not offer any hamburgers to Clint if he asked.

-nodge

Last edited:

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ooops. Duplicate entry deleted.

As long as I have this window open, I should point out that our 1 bedroom oceanfront (free upgrade no less) was beautiful. Hands down it was in the best shape of any SVO unit we had ever stayed in. If only we had had hot water in our villa for the last 24 hours of our trip, I would have thought that all of those high maintenance fees at WKORV-N were well worth it.

Practice pointer: If you lose hot water in your villa at WKORV-N and you call to ask wassup with that, and they tell you that there was a problem and it has been fixed and they are currently "reheating" the water and it will be back on in 20 minutes, and they say the same thing over and over again when you call at 5 pm, 8 pm, 11 pm and 8 am the next morning . . . . they are lying.

-nodge

Last edited:

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
nodge,
was that your oceanfront villa on the left?

The handicapper units are soooo much bigger and nicer than the regular ones. Hey, wait a minute, I think I now understand why my villa didn't have any hot water.

-nodge

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
What a lovely ocean front view you have. Well worth the $94k.

Maybe the lack of hot water was Starwood's method of being "green."

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
Nodge, when you said you were upgraded I was happy for you. The the picture showed up and I thought in an effort to go green you got the "port-a-potty with a view" and SVO was going to say this was an upgrade for the resort and your room.:D

Last edited:

Captron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVRx3 SBP Worldmark
What Starwood spin something? Noooooo!!!

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great view Nodge!

Do you think they have port o pottie views at Princeville also? I really want one. :hysterical:

aeroflygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Porta Potties at WKORV-N

We are at WKORV now. We saw the tents at North last weekend, but we didn't walk down that direction. We haven't seen any porta potties at the South end.:)

Anyone still here or arriving this week? We are staying through 1/30.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The tents and local vendors are there every week, I believe (on Friday, if I recall correctly).

Darwin

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the vendors at WKORV plus alot more are usually at the Maui Community Center once a week for their show. A lot better selection and more options to spend you hard earned money on.

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at WKORV now. We saw the tents at North last weekend, but we didn't walk down that direction. We haven't seen any porta potties at the South end.:)

Isn't that the correct end?:eek:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"local "artisans" selling local "art" (aka "hippie crafts") on the lawn"

Would the port-o-potties be acceptable if it was fresh fruit being sold or fine art being sold instead of "hippie crafts?"

Your questions raise the issue of what type of activities the resort should engage in as entertainment for the guests.

Or, maybe you mean that no activity that would be so popular with guests as to necessitate port-o-potties should be permitted.

Or, maybe you mean that all activities should be scheduled inside where the rest rooms are and not take advantage of the usually great Hawaiian weather.

Or, maybe you mean guests should just "hold it" until they find a rest room to avoid having port-o-potties at all.

Interesting questions raised by the posts. ... eom

Last edited:

thheath

TUG Member
Reaction score
"local "artisans" selling local "art" (aka "hippie crafts") on the lawn"

Would the port-a-potties be acceptable if it was fresh fruit being sold or fine art being sold instead of "hippie crafts?"

Your questions raise the issue of what type of activities the resort should engage in as entertainment for the guests.

Or, maybe you mean that no activity that would be so popular with guests as to necessitate port-a-potties should be permitted.

Or, maybe you mean that all activities should be scheduled inside where the rest rooms are and not take advantage of the usually great Hawaiian weather.

Or, maybe you mean guests should just "hold it" until they find a rest room to avoid having port-a-potties at all.

Interesting questions raised by the posts. ... eom

Activities like this are primarily to make money for the resort through table fees.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
And, that provides revenue which helps keep down assessments a little.

Perhaps you would prefer that the resort not get those table fees and that nothing in the way of sales by outsiders be scheduled at the resort?

As I said, the posts raise interesting questions. ... eom

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
Whenever I have been there, there are often "select" vendors selling things at the resort. Mostly they don't have things I am interested in. But as long as they are not aggressively selling (and so far they are not) I don't have a problem with them being there. It may make a little money for the resort. But I believe they do it more to have some local atmosphere on the grounds for the guests, as well as community outreach. That is, it is a way for the resort to provide some support for local merchants and/or artisans. It might even be a part of the development plan they agreed to with the county to get the permits to build. Who knows?

The only complaint I might have is if the porta-potties are right outside my unit's lanai. Especially if they smell. That would be annoying and could ruin an otherwise wonderful experience.

My $0.02 worth.

Greg

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
. . Or, maybe you mean . . . .

I'm not hiding the ball here on what I mean.

1) If SVO charges a massive premium for an "ocean front" villa and then places semi-permanent port-o-potties between some of those villas and the ocean, it is probably violating its contractual obligations to those owners. And, even if it isn't, it is at least demonstrating very poor judgment and a complete lack of respect for those owners' rights. If SVO wants to "host events" on the lawn, it must do so without violating (or at least without disrespecting) the rights it specifically sold to owners.

2) Clint Eastwood drives an SUV that he can illegally park with impunity at WKORV-N, which by the way, his SUV was blocking the paid-for "ocean view" of the lower floor occupants in the north facing side of building 7 (units 69-74) for an entire day. But I guess it's still better to have a view of Clint Eastwood's SUV than a port-o-pottie, so those owners should consider themselves lucky. Then again, I bet Clint has hot water at his residence on Maui and no one would ever think of blocking his view there with a port-o-pottie or SUV, so he is probably the luckiest one of all here.

-nodge

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg, ... The OP refers to the port-o-potties as "semi-permanent" and located only "inches" from the patio of an oceanfront owner.

You have been there before. And, you are going back in a few weeks.

Are the port-o-potties only there the day of the week when the sale happens? For the rest of the day/week are they removed?

The OP says they are surrounded by "a permanent rope fence." But, no rope fence shows in the picture. Was the OP inside the fence?

Where are they located in relation to the patios? (Anyway, in the posted photo behind the port-o-potties there appears to be a wall (maybe 5 feet behind the outhouses and between them and the building) that tops off slightly above the top of the port-o-potties. However, smell still could be a problem even if you couldn't see them.)

If you don't know where they are from memory, perhaps you could post when you get to WKROV-N. ... eom

Last edited:

zinger1457

Reaction score
I was there last week, upgraded to an ocean front room in building 8, we really enjoyed the resort. Saw the tent go up but didn't notice the port-o potties. Were they out only on the day the tent was up?

What's the policy (if any) with reserving lounge chairs by the pool? I'm an early riser and was out on my patio at ~7am reading the paper and having a cup of coffee and could see all these lounge chairs with towels and books on them, but no people around. Go out to the pool around 10am and many of the same chairs are reserved but still unoccupied. Seems like there should be a use or lose policy to be fair for everyone.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Supposedly, you can only reserve a lounge for a short while, but no one enforces it, and they are often saved for hours. If you complain to the pool shack, sometimes they will move stuff that's been there too long.