• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ex-Timeshare Sales rep- Will Answer any ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbminded

Reaction score
Thats one great way of getting out of a "owners update". But if you have to go through the 2+hour long sales pitch, property tour, and then have the manager come in and put more pressure on you.... Just tell your sales rep 15min into his pitch that your ready to buy now. You have been on other tours before and you now are ready to purchase. You think the rep is gonna stall getting the paperwork/contracts going? And, if you are smart enough to know that their is a cancellation period, as soon as you leave from your tour you cancel the contract.

Done it a couple of times with the "owners' updates" with Wyndham. "Husband is still in bed . . . feel free to 'update' me."

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, now I am entering the thisisawasteofourtime camp. A lot of pointed questions were asked, and OP is still answering the softball stuff. Come on with the meat.

Last edited:

bbminded

Reaction score
I guess you know how you can get out of your timeshare if purchased through a developer. And even if its long after the cancellation period?

Ok, now I am entering the thisisawasteofourtime camp. A lot of pointed questions were asked, and OP is still answering the softball stuff. Come on with the meat.

jc92869

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Getting out in 15 minutes.

Buy then cancel? seriously? I'm not doubting your sincerity, however I do have to say that sounds like an awful idea.

I think i'm going to spend just as much time cancelling as I would just sitting and listening to the full presentation.

Analogous to simply shooting my self in the foot- it's Ok, i will eventually heal anyways. no harm done.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Buy then cancel? seriously? I'm not doubting your sincerity, however I do have to say that sounds like an awful idea.

I think i'm going to spend just as much time cancelling as I would just sitting and listening to the full presentation.

Analogous to simply shooting my self in the foot- it's Ok, i will eventually heal anyways. no harm done.

Also, you most likely will spend just as much time through all the paper work to buy as 90 min (if not longer).

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the sales reps may get some kind of acknoledgement or benefit even from the sale / cancel.

I would think they have some kind of quota and/or compensation based on several factors, the highest on closed sales that sticks.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
NLP is basically social engineering / confidence game / etc (people are predictable, just not scientifically.)
"reptilian complex" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triune_brain
There are regions of the brain that are sometimes called "reptillian" to differentiate them from newer brain regions found only in mammals, yes. But the OP talked about getting people out of the "reptillian side" of the brain and into the right side of their brain, and that is total BS. The "reptillian" structures (if you want to call them that) are found underneath the cerebrum, so they are neither in the "right side" (right cerebral hemisphere) nor the "left side" (left cerebral hemisphere) of the brain. (As for the "flight or fight" mechanism mentioned by the OP, that's not a right/brain left brain difference, either. In fact, the "flight or fight" mechanism mostly involves stuff that takes place outside the brain. It's possible to trigger the "flight or fight" mechanism without even involving the brain.)

I'm not sure what you're saying about NLP.

Basically, the stuff the OP said about psychology is totally rejected by real psychologists. His answer to me was just a bunch of BS jargon thrown together randomly. If he knows as little about timeshares as he does about psychology, then we're not going to learn anything here.

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Also, you most likely will spend just as much time through all the paper work to buy as 90 min (if not longer).
Agreed. Signing a timeshare sales contract just to get the free gifts sounds like one of the worst ideas ever presented on this board.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait, i thought deeded does not expire and RTU does expire. Or at least deeded only expires insofar as the entire timeshare property may cease operating as a timeshare as of a certain date, upon which the owners must vote to extend the timeshare agreement. But even then, the ownership rights to the property wouldnt expire.

Under what circumstances does a deeded timeshare expire then?

If the entire timeshare property ceases to operate, for all intents and purposes the ownership rights to the deeded property actually do expire. The deed points to a specific unit and week. Without a timeshare agreement this unit and week serves little purpose. The building could be torn down, in which case the unit would no longer exist. The ownership rights are reduced to a very tiny % of the whole, and nothing more.

In reality the votes could extend the timeshare indefinitely, but that would be undesirable. A very old timeshare would have high fees and low value.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Signing a timeshare sales contract just to get the free gifts sounds like one of the worst ideas ever presented on this board.

I think the OP is referring to a regretful buyer wanting out but the rescission period has lapsed.

I would like to hear their idea on this one.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the OP is referring to a regretful buyer wanting out but the rescission period has lapsed....

I was referring to this post, quoted below:
...But if you have to go through the 2+hour long sales pitch, property tour, and then have the manager come in and put more pressure on you.... Just tell your sales rep 15min into his pitch that your ready to buy now. You have been on other tours before and you now are ready to purchase. You think the rep is gonna stall getting the paperwork/contracts going? And, if you are smart enough to know that their is a cancellation period, as soon as you leave from your tour you cancel the contract.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was referring to this post, quoted below:

Haha! I missed that. I have been skimming through. That is a most ridiculous idea. It would take more time and trouble to cancel, not to mention the risk of additional time and possibly money if the resort doesn't actually cancel it like they are supposed to.

Worst idea ever!

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thats one great way of getting out of a "owners update". But if you have to go through the 2+hour long sales pitch, property tour, and then have the manager come in and put more pressure on you.... Just tell your sales rep 15min into his pitch that your ready to buy now. You have been on other tours before and you now are ready to purchase. You think the rep is gonna stall getting the paperwork/contracts going? And, if you are smart enough to know that their is a cancellation period, as soon as you leave from your tour you cancel the contract.

That is a stupid idea because deeding will likely take you more than the hour alotted for the tour. Plus, you need to tie up your credit while this charade is going on.

The much better approach is to open the meeting by saying that you are here only for the free gift. You already know as much about their particular timeshare or timeshare system than you want to know. You will stay as long as you need to get it. You don't mind leaving now if they don't want to waste their time.

At that point, what will happen is they will say that everybody just comes for the free gift. then, you say that I have 2 dozen timeshares bought on the resale market and show them listings from resale sites for their particular resort. Then, pull out a complaint form for the real estate commission for their particular state. Tell them that they have been lied to many times at timeshare presentations and you want to verify every fact. If there are any misrepresentations, you will file the complaint. Ask them for their name and license number to write onto the form. Turn on your iPhone recorder and tell them that you plan to record everything they say.

At that point, the rep goes to his TO and asks him what to do. The TO comes over and says "Thank you Mr and Mrs XYZ, you are done and sales rep takes you to gifting.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)

They don't get into the sales pitch, however, until well into the second hour of your time . . . so rolling over to buy (and later cancel) is pretty much a waste of more time than necessary.

When I've wanted/needed to stay longer, I have . . . when I've needed to be out of there quickly, I have succeeded.

I would never advise agreeing to the purchase knowing you're going to cancel just to cut the time involved. The paperwork and going through the "contracting dept" (or whatever they call it) will take as much time as just gutting out and staying true to "NO" when they try to sell you.

Another good way to get out of there is to start talking rather loudly, about the resale market when there are other potential buyers within earshot. We were in Maui once just having a chat about that while our sales rep went for a cup of coffee for himself. When he returned, he had just five words for us "You may be excused now" . . . and he took us to the gifting counter. We're pretty sure they had microphones somewhere in the vicinity of where we were sitting.

If you schedule early enough in the AM that they still have chance to make a sale later in the AM by cutting you loose, they will not waste time on you.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like I said, some people will think I have some agenda. If you don't think I have anything to contribute and you already know everything then that's fine. But then again why did you feel the need to reply to this thread?

I don't think you have an agenda. I just don't think you have any interesting knowledge or insights about the timeshare industry that we don't already know.

If you do have some interesting insights, I would like to learn about them. That's a true statement.

I'll ask again. Tell us something we don't already know. If I don't know it, I'll acknowledge your contribution to my knowledge base. Dig deep. We are anxiously waiting for something big.

This is a timeshare message board with owners, resellers and experts in all systems. Many have 20 or more years of experience in dealing with all aspects of the timeshare business. I'd venture to guess that we can tell you more about your own timeshare resort than you actually know.

Last edited:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the day is over, do the salesmen hang out and laugh about the people they conned? Do you sense they were comfortable with their job, slept well at night, and would also sell to their parents?

Yes, they do. The tops sales guys have no problem sleeping at night. Part of the screening process in many resorts for new front line sales reps is a personality test. It has questions such as "have you ever cheated on a test." Do you want to be a rock star? And such things. You can only guess which answers they are looking for.

Pietin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham-Glacier Canyon, Star Island, Cypress Palms, Pagosa Spring, Kingsgate, DVC - OKW, VGF
Ok, my question is what was "your defense "to the $1 eBay timeshare? Or were you able to sell to any knowledgeable timeshare owner? Our first was a retail purchase in 97. Our first resale was in 98 on an auction site called zAuction for 197.00 plus 99 closing costs for a resort that was selling at 7000. So how did you defend against the resale market?

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, my question is what was "your defense "to the $1 eBay timeshare? Or were you able to sell to any knowledgeable timeshare owner? Our first was a retail purchase in 97. Our first resale was in 98 on an auction site called zAuction for 197.00 plus 99 closing costs for a resort that was selling at 7000. So how did you defend against the resale market?

This is like the game of survivor. No matter who you are, if you are to remain in the game for long, you must lie. It's the nature of the beast. Same is true of timeshare developer sales. When the resale market comes up, you must create fear, uncertainty and doubt by lying. If you tell the truth, you will not make a sale.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
vs continuing to respond with "well what about this scenario, do you know about that"

how about providing the answers you claim to have?

Reaction score
This is like the game of survivor. No matter who you are, if you are to remain in the game for long, you must lie. It's the nature of the beast. Same is true of timeshare developer sales. When the resale market comes up, you must create fear, uncertainty and doubt by lying. If you tell the truth, you will not make a sale.

I believe you are also a timeshare salesperson or broker.

How many times do you LIE to people on a daily basis?

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're saying about NLP.

real psychologists

if people were not predictable, there would be no pushy salespeople, conmen, spies, magicians, etc.

NLP is not science. but its not the only thing (even in psychology) to claim it is.

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the entire timeshare property ceases to operate, for all intents and purposes the ownership rights to the deeded property actually do expire. The deed points to a specific unit and week. Without a timeshare agreement this unit and week serves little purpose. The building could be torn down, in which case the unit would no longer exist. The ownership rights are reduced to a very tiny % of the whole, and nothing more.

In reality the votes could extend the timeshare indefinitely, but that would be undesirable. A very old timeshare would have high fees and low value.

However if the property is torn down and sold, or just sold, the owner receives their ownership fraction of the proceeds, which, at least in today's environment, may be much more valuable than the timeshare itself. In any case, I wouldn't see this as ownership "expiring", but it can be terminated upon disposition of the property. In other words, the ownership rights can not cease while the timeshare remains operating as an ongoing concern.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
However if the property is torn down and sold, or just sold, the owner receives their ownership fraction of the proceeds, which, at least in today's environment, may be much more valuable than the timeshare itself. In any case, I wouldn't see this as ownership "expiring", but it can be terminated upon disposition of the property. In other words, the ownership rights can not cease while the timeshare remains operating as an ongoing concern.

Agreed, but when you purchase a timeshare you are purchasing with the intent to use. The whole point is the use of a certain year/unit/week. That part has a specified end date that can be extended upon a vote. Retaining a tiny interest in the property when there is no longer an operating timeshare amounts to nothing more than potentially recouping a portion of your purchase price.

With today's real estate prices, I cannot imagine seeing much of a return if an aging timeshare property is sold. It would approximately be [(1 / (U x 52)) x S] where U = Number of Units and S = Sold Price. Different unit types is likely a variable. The property is also subject to property taxes between the time of the timeshare dissolution and the sale. There would also be additional expenses eating away at the value.

Status
Not open for further replies.