• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexico if my husband won't go there

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband feels unsafe in Mexico. But if I could get a resort perhaps in Cancun or Cabo, do you think that might be convincing that it's not in the heart of Mexico and would be safe? I'd love to go to either destination. Sigh. Please don't dump on my man, he's a wonderful guy; just protective of his love.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Mine won't go either - and back in the day, he visited Mexico many times.

If I made a Resv. - he'd say, "Have a good time."

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
My sister and I visited Cancun in Dec 2011. We felt safe on and off the resort. The only scary part was the timeshare body snatchers at the airport!

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
We think Puerto Vallarta is still safe so we go there every year still

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my husband. I want to go to Cabo, but he won't go and has actually said that I am not allowed to go. I don't understand why. He would let me go alone to Orlando and Orlando is way scarier than most places in Mexico.

I have been considering a cruise to Mexico. :wall:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We are planning Grand Luxxe in Nuevo soon and I have zero worries about going.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think his fear is unfounded. Sure, there are incidents there, but far less than in the USA, and almost 100% involving people who are involved in the drug trade. For tourists, who stick to the tourist areas, Mexico may be one of the safer destinations.

Now, that said, appeal to his logical side. For instance, in Cabo, it is not on any drug route, and is very safe. The stores are familiar- like Costco, WalMart, Target. Cabo Wabo- Ok, maybe nobody's immune to a hangover, but who can turn down a good-ol' American Margarita/sports bar? Cabo is very safe, and very un-Mexican. Hopefully a little research will convince him. Y'know there are self-contained resorts there. Take the resort's shuttle from/to the airport, and never leave the beautifully manicured grounds. He'd hardly know he wasn't in San Diego or Hawaii, or Key West.

Good Luck!
Jim

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo on Nov 2nd, Cancun in February and April. We are not concerned as we feel that both are safe.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Maybe you, DeniseM and Presley should go together! Presley will have to tell her husband that she's going to Orlando, I guess.

H

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I have been to Cancun about 5 years ago and I did have a great time but I still
Have a funny feeling about going back. Maybe it's the horror stories about the
Corrupt police but I'm happy to keep returning to Hawaii.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband refuses to go to Mexico as well. Last February we landed in Mazatlan for 20 min to refuel on our way to Phoenix from Costa Rica (long story - volcano, strong winds in Phoenix) and he still tells the story about his last trip to Mexico and how great it was lol.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My husband feels unsafe in Mexico. But if I could get a resort perhaps in Cancun or Cabo, do you think that might be convincing that it's not in the heart of Mexico and would be safe? I'd love to go to either destination. Sigh. Please don't dump on my man, he's a wonderful guy; just protective of his love.
There is no amount of information that will change his mind. None. Don't bother trying to convince him with information. Don't waste your time and energy; if anything you will most likely make him even more determined.

That's because his reaction isn't based on information; it''s based on emotion. We've had these discussions many times here on TUG, and those who don't want to go to Mexico because of perceptions of crime and violence are never persuaded by any amount of information.

So you have to find some other way to approach it. Maybe a conversation he strikes up at the right moment with someone who has been there personally and who says it's not that way at all. Some TUGgers have reported making a trip to Mexico with great fear and hesitation, only to find out when they got there exactly how wrong they had been.

But I doubt that you will beat him with information. Maybe it means going by yourself, and coming back having had a good time.

FWIW - we go regularly to Puerto Vallarta and I think the main tourist areas in Puerto Vallarta are among the safest locations I've been to - certainly safer than almost any urban tourist locale in the US.

If he would feel comfortable going to Waikiki, New Orleans, Times Square, or Washington D.C.,. he shouldn't feel uncomfortable in Cabo, PV, or Cancún.

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband was that way at first, but now he loves mexico. Just read all the threads here and stay within the hotel zones and you will have no problems. You just can't beat the hospitality of the Mexican culture.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

oceanvps

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were nervous about Mexico, hadn't been, decided to go to cabo in 2012, same logic as above its nowhere near the violence, almost in its own little world - but without the three year old since we didn't have a lay of the land so to speak. i'd go back.. the weather seems like it's perfect all the time (we went in November).. but we prefer hawaii :cheer:

we stayed in cabo san lucas - club cascadas then moved to san jose del cabo worldmark kihei. walked all over, couldn't decide if we were idiots for walking around all over but nothing happened to us other than the expected accosting by the timeshare guys on the street.

everyone very friendly and tried to give us directions if/when we looked lost

edit: the one thing we didn't do was rent a car because the stories we heard about that DID make us nervous however, my co-worker went the same week almost and they rented a car and drove all over without a problem.

Last edited:

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I've been going to Mazatlan annually for the last 4 years without a single problem. I even purchased a timeshare in Puerto Vallarta which I'll be going to for the first time this November. Like Jim said, most of the problems are between the drug cartel members. Yes, there have been a very rare occasion where a tourist has become involved (I believe a Canadian man was shot in the leg a year or two ago), but that happens in every city (and worse).

You can always present your husband with crime statistics for the areas HE suggests you vacation in, but that might cause you to be stuck at home for the rest of your marriage!

Good luck. If push comes to shove, you could always take a girls-only vacation with friends/family to PV or Cancun and leave the hubby at home.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've been going to Mazatlan annually for the last 4 years without a single problem. I even purchased a timeshare in Puerto Vallarta which I'll be going to for the first time this November. Like Jim said, most of the problems are between the drug cartel members. Yes, there have been a very rare occasion where a tourist has become involved (I believe a Canadian man was shot in the leg a year or two ago), but that happens in every city (and worse)..
In contrast, how many tourists have been assaulted on the Miracle Mile in Chicago? How many in Times Square?

Those are so common they don't even make it into the newspaper. But one tourist gets held up in Puerto Vallarta and according to US news media it's uncontrolled mayhem south of the border.

The people in the tourists areas are not stupid. They know what drives the economy and take care of it. The last thing they want is for tourists to net feel safe visiting their towns, and they bend over backwards to make it so.

If you venture outside of the tourist locales and choose to engage in non-standard tourist activities, the picture can change very quickly, just as it can in any urban area anywhere in the world. If someone chooses to go that direction their experiences may vary, just as they would in almost any locale in the world.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask your husband if he's a man or a mouse. Well, squeak up...

:D

Just kidding, sort of.

Johnsp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe, Marriott, Worldmark
My wife and I go to Mexico twice a year, Cabo in April and Nuevo Vallarta in December. My wife's best friend comes with us to Grand Luxxe every December. Her husband out of fear refuses to go. She comes anyway and doesn't let him ruin her fun. We all play a bunch of golf together and have a blast. She feels as safe in Vallarta as she does at home. She hasn't been able to convince her husband to give it a try. Some people just can't be persuaded.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to Cancun with 2 girlfriends last year. 2 of us have husbands who did not want to go. We had a blast. There is also a Ladies group that is an offshoot of TUG. PM me and I can give you the scoop. They go to Mexico often and other places. :clap:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I worked in downtown Seattle, next to Pioneer Square in Seattle, which is one of the prime tourist areas in Seattle. DS and DIL live in Belltown, two blocks from the Space Needle. As regards persoonal safety, there is no comparison between those areas and, for example the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta and downtown area in PV. Every year we do the art walk in PV, walking down some dark and narrow streets and sidewalks, with no problem whatsoever - settings that I would never venture into in downtown Seattle, or downtown San Francisco, Oakland, or San Jose (where I lived and worked for for almost 20 years).

Last edited:

karentrimmer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mexico

My husband and I go to Mexico twice a year and I have never felt unsafe. We go to Cancun, Vallarta, and Riveria Maya. Now, if your out in Downtown Cancun at 3 am I can't speak for it then but we have always felt safe and welcomed by Mexican people.

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband is the same. Not sure its fear or what, says he hasn't "lost" anything in MX

About this time last year I decided on cosmetic surgery. After I shopped around and talked with tons of people I decided I was going to MX to have it done. DH was all onboard until he heard MX pass my lips. I thought he was going to have a heart attack right then and there. He even went so far as to tell me he would not allow it! :hysterical: (he should know I wont be told what to do) I told him I was a grown woman and perfectly capable of making my own medical choices on drs and locations. He went to bed in a huff. The next morning I got up, made my apt, paid my down pmt and scheduled my date for when he was going to be at work in Saudi. I enlisted my Aunt and brother to go with me for help if needed getting around. When I told him I was scheduled and he found out it was when he was working he was all hurt feeling's. Im like seriously, you said you would have no part of this, I took you at your word.

Long story short, we had a fabulous time even tho I was post major surgery. He looks at the pictures and I can tell he wishes he would have went. He will never admit to that, but oh well. I actually felt safer in MX than I do in NOLA which is 3 1/12 hours from home for us. You would think someone who works 1/2 the year in the middle east wouldn't be concerned about MX. :shrug:

I don't guess I will ever understand peoples reasoning for not visiting some beautiful places. This is the way I see it, Whats the point in life if you don't live it? Im adventurous and I want to see it all! :eek:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Have been to MX several times and will be going to Nuevo and Cabo for 2 weeks in March. It's all women. I have no fear of going or getting on a bus to go to downtown PV. Then again, I love walking around Manhattan day or night even by myself. I don't walk down dark alleys or stray too far from the main drag.

BTW Ladies, you can go to http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LadiesVacation/info or click on my name here and ask to join. Please include your real name, TUG name and your email address.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mexico Travel

Many years ago when my husband was just my boyfriend he was not to happy to be traveling to Mexico. I talked him into it and since then 1995 he has been going and talking others into joining us through the years.
I have traveled to both Cancun/Playa Del Carmen and Cabo totally by myself(woman)over 50. Ride buses and take cabs, rent cars and do not speak Spanish. I pay close attention to my surroundings and what time of the day or night it is. Security at the resorts where I stay is always top notch.
We took our teenage granddaughter to Cabo last year and was never worried at any time for her or our safety. Though the years I have noticed what slows down travel most to Mexico is the economy more then anything else.