• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Opinions on RCI Exchange Plus

Your opinion of exchange plus

• I like it

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I dislike it because there is not sufficient value

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • I like it because there is sufficient value

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would love it if it provided savings in excess of exchange plus and a partial recovery exp mfees

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I would like it if we could filter them out

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village parkway and links golf and raquet
It appears that RCI is attempting (not that they are doing a great job of messaging) to options outside of traditional timeshare inventory to fill holes where they do not have inventory. I believe this is supposed to be a compliment to the exchange and not replace their core business. At times visually it appears that they are trying to replace exchange with exchange plus because of the sheer volume. What is your opinion?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village parkway and links golf and raquet
What is Exchange Plus?
a program where they bring non timeshare inventory into the system and charge a combination of $$ and points/tpu. I have found some with significant savings and some with not so much. If you go on RCI.com you can not miss the invenotory

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for explaining. I have RCI via HGVC portal so cannot see this AFAIK. Where would one find this in the RCI portal?

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I will not pay the high rates for an exchange plus. I always click on the size of unit filter to make it a 1 bedroom or larger which eliminates almost all of the exchange plus units since they are just hotel rooms. The 2 times we have wanted to stay in a particular area that had no proper timeshare resorts we booked an extended stay hotel room so we still had a partial or full kitchen. Last time I checked the cost for that was slightly lower than the exchange plus through RCI.

~Diane

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
What is Exchange Plus?

It is an option (albeit an unappealing one) for those of us that have direct accounts with RCI. As far as I know it is not available through minisystem portals such as HGVC.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that RCI is attempting (not that they are doing a great job of messaging) to options outside of traditional timeshare inventory to fill holes where they do not have inventory. I believe this is supposed to be a compliment to the exchange and not replace their core business. At times visually it appears that they are trying to replace exchange with exchange plus because of the sheer volume. What is your opinion?
Many people who go on RCI are just trying to plan their vacation because they believe it holds all the answers for their travel needs. After all, that is what they were told at the timeshare presentation.

They hop on RCI looking for cruises, airline reservations, rental cars. Disney tickets and hotel stays. Of course, some of those are not available but the more of that stuff that is, the better for RCI's customers.

RCI is helping those people out by offering "Exchange Plus." RCI is in business to make money. Why send customers to Expedia or Travelocity? Why shouldn't RCI cash in?

RCI options like Exchange Plus are also a great tool for the timeshare sales department. Owning a timeshare will meet all your travel needs. Just check out RCI.com! You can do it all! Its an exclusive website that only owners can access to get these travel services.

Now, I find Exchange Plus as just clutter that should be ignored. I know that RCI is best used for timeshares and not all that other stuff. Those other items are generally a poor value.

However, I am not the customer RCI has in mind with all these extras.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just stumbled into my first Exchange Plus during a search for an exchange.

Are you kidding me? What a joke at these prices PLUS giving up an unreasonable number of TPUs.

Looks like it's going into the ignore bin for me.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would like a filter by exchange fee. Most of the time I would use it to filter out exchange plus completely but sometimes I wouldn't mind seeing the $399-$599 exchange plus without having to wade through the $799-$1599 ones too.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I would like to see those filtered out. I need to use my trading power that I have built up over the years with my Grand Palms (formerly Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort). I never thought of searching for one bedroom or larger to filter them out, so that works for me.

This is off topic: What I would like to see is a reduction in exchange fees for platinum members by $30-50 per exchange. I could really save some cash with that option. I think RCI is biting itself in the butt iwth the high fees and of course the fees at the resorts, which I harp on constantly. I am not talking TOT/TAT. I am talking about "parking" and "concierge" and "activity" fees. Every resort is going to start doing it, and it's going to be expensive for exchangers, changing the game for many of us. But that is my opinion as a member of RCI for 40+ years.
years.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
I have to agree - if they don't charge those fees to owners, then clearly they can operate on the MFs their paid, and they're getting that from the owner even if they deposit their week for exchange. If they also charge those to owners, it seems to me like those costs should actually just be part of the MFs to go for the week. And if there actually is some extra cost for the resort (that I honestly cannot fathom what it is) to taking an RCI exchange, then it ought to be able to come out of the RCI exchange fee - which would be really the only legitimate reason for $300 exchange fees I could see - that they encompass all fees to stay, and RCI is passing that along for us.

TBH, with the less and less that RCI has to be doing (running a website? with a database? some contracts with resorts?), I think the real sort of price for this service ought to be around $70 bucks at most, and I think that (HGVC booking fee) is basically scamming money.